Update 9/5/13

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Update 9/5/13

Postby Jippd on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:44 am

patrickaa317 wrote:
Lindax wrote:
From now on, we will be accepting appeals from Permabanned players.

Shit, does that mean that Max may be back?

We believe that Permabanned players were permabanned for good reasons....

Lx

Also in before the conspiracy around El Jefe and GLG is enhanced with this. It really is the only way GLG could come back, right? :o

Not a subscriber to that but interested to see it start being discussed.

First thing I thought!
Colonel Jippd

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby Jippd on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:51 am

greenoaks wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:Definitely not a fan of this idea. A lot of people would play games for 1 point. A lot of farming would be done against the noobs that think they can win 50 points, etc. All I see is potential for abuse and people working the system on this.

that's the way i see it too.

Or as you say friends volunteering and giving up games. We already see it being done where a player will throw games to help their friend win. Allowing them to win even more points would be too easy.

If I want to cheat I create a few games and make them worth 100 points. I could easily have low rank multi accounts join and lose the game to earn easy points.

I could also maybe "borrow" some points from friends to achieve a higher rank for a certain period of time, only to return them later by throwing games
Colonel Jippd

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby D4 Damager on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:58 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Should we not take this to Suggestions now?

Please make a new thread for this in Suggestions, I will definitely endorse it. To be clear, I mean having points-free games as betiko and Shannon Apple have been suggesting. I don't see any reason to cap the number allowed (apart from the usual 4 maximum for freemiums, of course), but I think they should not count as games which keep people on the scoreboard. I mean that people should have to play a competitive game (for points) at least once per month to stay on the scoreboard. Good suggestion from iAmCaffeine. This is essential, otherwise of course the people at the top would not play any games for points at all.

In any major game or sport there is the distinction between competitive and friendly games. It is obvious why: having a fun environment in which people can train boosts enjoyment of the game and improves the standard of players overall. It is also vital for getting newcomers involved. Can you imagine how many less people would play tennis if they were forced to play their first three games against Rafa Nadal, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic? (and get smashed to pieces in the process, of course) In your first few games, you are simply not ready to receive the lessons you would get from playing that calibre of player.
Brigadier D4 Damager

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby greenoaks on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:02 am

and it is all high rank people posting here wanting to play CC with no Risk.
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:35 am

It is all mid- high ranked people posting in here for or against. period. Sooo, that makes no sense.

18:19:01 ‹#1_stunna› Pixar is the only noob that would leave Kort
18:20:39 ‹*Pixar*› thats a new sig!
18:20:51 ‹*Pixar*› "only player to leave kort"
Captain Shannon Apple

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby OliverFA on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:47 am

greenoaks wrote:and it is all high rank people posting here wanting to play CC with no Risk.

Perhaps that high-ranked (or medium-ranked) people complain too much, perhaps not. But one thing is clear, and many people have pointed this over the time: Maintaining rank after some point is so demanding that it is some sort of issue. Some people solve it by not playing low ranked players, other people solve it by just playing their map and settings, and some other just do their best.

Is not about not having risk, but perhaps about having the right balance between risk and reward. Of course everybody has his own idea about where this balance is, but looks like many people (or at least many people who care to talk about it) thinks like this balance point is far from the current situation and could be improved.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Lieutenant OliverFA

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am

Shannon Apple wrote:It is all mid- high ranked people posting in here for or against. period. Sooo, that makes no sense.

That's not true. Of course, major isn't considered a particularly high rank, but in comparison to the majority of registered active players, it is.

I'm still against this idea.
Captain iAmCaffeine

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Postby greenoaks on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 am

Shannon Apple wrote:It is all mid- high ranked people posting in against. period.

exactly. cooks aren't beating down the doors demanding CC implement a way for them to beat a Major and receive no reward for doing so. :-$
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)

Postby D4 Damager on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am

greenoaks wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:It is all mid- high ranked people posting in against. period.

exactly. cooks aren't beating down the doors demanding CC implement a way for them to beat a Major and receive no reward for doing so. :-$

Indeed. Instead they are beating down the doors and leaving. Because the only majors that would play them were farming them, and were not playing for fun :-$
Brigadier D4 Damager

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am

D4 Damager wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Indeed. Instead they are beating down the doors and leaving. Because the only majors that would play them were farming them, and were not playing for fun :-$

Actually, most low ranks probably leave because they don't like losing.
Captain iAmCaffeine

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Postby betiko on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 am

D4 Damager wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Hey mate, I created a thread about this yesterady in the suggestions forum. Thanks to drop by and vote yes on the poll as it s very close between yes and no.

In other news, i still don t get the arguments of people against and how can "games not counting" could abuse the system.
I guess that people like greenoaks and caffeine always stand at a very median level. Where they stand, they can play all the games they want, it will always reballance between games played vs lower and higher ranked players. So basically winning half of the games they join they can expect to stall and not go down dramatically. Higher ranked players would be less tempted to join them in a 1v1 for points, because it would basically be 50/50 odds of winning with a very bad payback.
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Postby agentcom on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 pm

For those of you that would like to comment on these topics, I have looked into them very intensely in the past. As a result of which, I have collected them into respective topics and written an explanatory note at the beginning of each thread. Regardless of what side you are on in the debate, I caution you all to realize that what you have thought of has probably been brought up before. This isn't saying that you can't go lend your support to your chosen side, but do know that these issues were not simply dismissed without careful consideration. Regardless of what side you are on, the other side has some valid points of view (and of course each side has people with not-so-valid POVs :) ).

Even if you don't read the entire threads, I encourage you to at least read the explanatory OPs that have been provided as they address a lot of the questions and points that have been brought up here. I will include these OPs in a spoiler below for those that are too lazy to click through :D

Subject: Make games require minimum or maximum points/rank [REJECTED]

show

Subject: Option for players to set, stake or bet points [REJECTED]

show

Subject: Unrated, Unranked, or No Points Games [REJECTED]

show
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby greenoaks on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Your assessment of me betiko is fairly accurate. My ideal rank is the sword & baton but i enjoy playing too wide a variety of maps & settings to maintain it. However, when i see it appear i feel joyous. I do have what it takes to be Conquerer but what it takes for me is to play Realms 2 & 3 exclusively. Boring.
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Postby betiko on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 am

greenoaks wrote:Your assessment of me betiko is fairly accurate. My ideal rank is the sword & baton but i enjoy playing too wide a variety of maps & settings to maintain it. However, when i see it appear i feel joyous. I do have what it takes to be Conquerer but what it takes for me is to play Realms 2 & 3 exclusively. Boring.

so i don't get this greenoaks. If there are some game modes you just like to play for fun, why would you see it as a problem to play them points free?
I am shit at realm of might maps, but I'm sure that anyone playing realm of might for points would be very good, therefore you wouldn't get the win rates you're expecting. Competitive games would be more "competititve". You would most likely meet guys that are really good at a given map/setting.

(also don't forget that if you go up in the ranking, the points earned would dramatically fall and the points loss would increase the same way, you have earned lots of points on these maps indeed, but because you get the points at a sargent/low major level)
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Postby greenoaks on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:10 am

betiko wrote:
greenoaks wrote:Your assessment of me betiko is fairly accurate. My ideal rank is the sword & baton but i enjoy playing too wide a variety of maps & settings to maintain it. However, when i see it appear i feel joyous. I do have what it takes to be Conquerer but what it takes for me is to play Realms 2 & 3 exclusively. Boring.

so i don't get this greenoaks. If there are some game modes you just like to play for fun, why would you see it as a problem to play them points free?
I am shit at realm of might maps, but I'm sure that anyone playing realm of might for points would be very good, therefore you wouldn't get the win rates you're expecting. Competitive games would be more "competititve". You would most likely meet guys that are really good at a given map/setting.

(also don't forget that if you go up in the ranking, the points earned would dramatically fall and the points loss would increase the same way, you have earned lots of points on these maps indeed, but because you get the points at a sargent/low major level)

because my score represents ALL games i have played and won, played and lost, played while drunk, played and missed turns, played with others missing turns, etc. that score is me.

once you have no point games my score no longer represents me. it only represents a cordened off portion of me. my rank is a charade.

it is like life. our personalities and points of view are formed from ALL the experiences we have had up to that point in time. we don't get to pick and choose what days or activities will mean something and which won't.
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives