Conquer Club

The Great War

The official source of Conquer Club news

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Fixed now
Image
User avatar
Major DoomYoshi
 
Posts: 8453
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: At the Cadaver Synod
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (13)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:53 pm

A new freemium-friendly tournament:
show: the brutalization of belgium
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:48 am

I wouldn't say that tournament sounds friendly for anyone.
ATN. MDK.
User avatar
Major iAmCaffeine
 
Posts: 8590
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 pm
Medals: 122
The Championships Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (4) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (21) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (13) Training Achievement (1)
Challenge Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: The Great War

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:31 pm

dean00
I miss the honky-tonks Dairy Queens and Seven-Elevens
User avatar
Colonel t4mcr53s2
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: maryland, usa
Medals: 106
The Championships Gold (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (20) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (12) Tribe Achievement (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:42 am

The first great French victory

show: Marne
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby Donelladan on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:49 pm

I saw that on the tournament The Brutalization of Belgium, one of the round will include escalating AND trench at the same time
Just wondering, as the bug with extra high amount of troops been fixed ? Or are we gonna play an unplayable game if it last long?
Image
User avatar
General Donelladan
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 am
Medals: 183
The Championships Gold (2) The Championships Silver (1) Monthly Leader Gold (2) Monthly Leader Silver (12) Monthly Leader Bronze (3)
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (27) Challenge Achievement (17) Tribe Achievement (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Donelladan wrote:I saw that on the tournament The Brutalization of Belgium, one of the round will include escalating AND trench at the same time
Just wondering, as the bug with extra high amount of troops been fixed ? Or are we gonna play an unplayable game if it last long?

It has a 20-round limit to make sure that doesn't happen.
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby Fewnix on Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 pm

This might prove interesting to tourney folk.

The First World War in 261 weeks is originally a Dutch podcast by Tom Tacken (http://www.veertienachttien.nl), translated by Peter Veltman.

Every week of the war a new character, introduced by the main events of that particular week. The series will run from 28 June 2014 (shooting at Sarajevo) till 28 June 2019 (Treaty of Versailles).

RSS-feed Podbean for your podcatcher: http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.podbean.com/feed/

Available in iTunes and Stitcher (thanks for reviewing).




http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.com/
Sergeant 1st Class Fewnix
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:15 am
Medals: 60
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Fewnix wrote:This might prove interesting to tourney folk.

The First World War in 261 weeks is originally a Dutch podcast by Tom Tacken (http://www.veertienachttien.nl), translated by Peter Veltman.

Every week of the war a new character, introduced by the main events of that particular week. The series will run from 28 June 2014 (shooting at Sarajevo) till 28 June 2019 (Treaty of Versailles).

RSS-feed Podbean for your podcatcher: http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.podbean.com/feed/

Available in iTunes and Stitcher (thanks for reviewing).




http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.com/

Thanks, Fewnix!
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby denominator on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Fewnix wrote:This might prove interesting to tourney folk.

The First World War in 261 weeks is originally a Dutch podcast by Tom Tacken (http://www.veertienachttien.nl), translated by Peter Veltman.

Every week of the war a new character, introduced by the main events of that particular week. The series will run from 28 June 2014 (shooting at Sarajevo) till 28 June 2019 (Treaty of Versailles).

RSS-feed Podbean for your podcatcher: http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.podbean.com/feed/

Available in iTunes and Stitcher (thanks for reviewing).




http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.com/

Thanks, Fewnix!


Agreed, that is awesome. I was just looking for a new podcast, and this one fits the bill. Thanks!
Image
User avatar
Cadet denominator
 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:41 am
Location: Calgary
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (12) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:38 pm

congratulations to Blinkiddyblink; 3 great war stars
I miss the honky-tonks Dairy Queens and Seven-Elevens
User avatar
Colonel t4mcr53s2
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: maryland, usa
Medals: 106
The Championships Gold (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (20) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (12) Tribe Achievement (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:40 am

t4mcr53s2 wrote:congratulations to Blinkiddyblink; 3 great war stars


Agreed.

And with that, the second round of the Great War Guessing Game has been won by SilverWill.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=208144&start=75#p4600136
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:56 am

Today we launch The Defense of the Realm Act. This is based not on a battle but on domestic political developments in the U.K.

show: the defense of the realm act 1500 dec 17 to 1500 dec 24

The Defense of the Realm Act costs 5 tokens to enter.

For those who have been paying attention, we have in the last few weeks been re-aligning the "pricing" of the Great War tourneys.

In the beginning, we naturally put a higher entry fee on larger, more complex tourneys. This, however, is actually somewhat unfair. It means that people signing up for smaller tourneys have an easier path to victory and pay less for the privilege, while those joining the bigger tourneys face a double jeopardy of a more difficult win and a higher entry fee.

In the last couple weeks, we have realigned this, so that there is a higher entry fee for simple tournaments and a lesser fee for the more complex ones. While it may seem counter-intuitive at first, I think that on reflection you will agree with me that this is actually a more equitable system.

The Defense of the Realm Act is the smallest and simplest tournament in the entire Great War series thus far. With everyone trying to reduce their game load for Christmas, I'm thinking this might be the right time for a little easy one. We have accordingly pegged the cost to enter at 5 tokens.

One little feature that comes with this new policy is that the winner gets his tokens back, and some of the runners-up get some of their tokens back.
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby denominator on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Dukasaur wrote:The Defense of the Realm Act costs 5 tokens to enter.

For those who have been paying attention, we have in the last few weeks been re-aligning the "pricing" of the Great War tourneys.

In the beginning, we naturally put a higher entry fee on larger, more complex tourneys. This, however, is actually somewhat unfair. It means that people signing up for smaller tourneys have an easier path to victory and pay less for the privilege, while those joining the bigger tourneys face a double jeopardy of a more difficult win and a higher entry fee.

In the last couple weeks, we have realigned this, so that there is a higher entry fee for simple tournaments and a lesser fee for the more complex ones. While it may seem counter-intuitive at first, I think that on reflection you will agree with me that this is actually a more equitable system.

The Defense of the Realm Act is the smallest and simplest tournament in the entire Great War series thus far. With everyone trying to reduce their game load for Christmas, I'm thinking this might be the right time for a little easy one. We have accordingly pegged the cost to enter at 5 tokens.

One little feature that comes with this new policy is that the winner gets his tokens back, and some of the runners-up get some of their tokens back.


Great adjustment.

I especially like getting tokens back for doing well. One of the things that I think we'd all appreciate is getting tokens for winning tournament games, but this is a healthy compromise.
Image
User avatar
Cadet denominator
 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:41 am
Location: Calgary
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (12) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby shoop76 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

I think its another great idea, but again like so many things of late, poorly set up. Why are all these tokens needed to enter these tournaments? You are forcing players to play meaningless games (besides the tokens) that greatly inflates people's game counts. Games that I, for one don't enjoy and in turn is making me tired of this site. And now you are increasing the amount of tokens needed. Only the members that spend a lot of time on this site can keep up with all this tournaments or at least the games needed to collect these tokens.

Again, great structure and I can only imagine the amount of thought and time you have put into the organization of this. However, if you wanted more participation you should have made entry requirements for these tourneys easier. Personally I will not waste any more time chasing tokens, so I am done with these tournaments.
User avatar
Sergeant shoop76
 
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:44 am
Medals: 201
The Championships Silver (1) The Championships Bronze (1) Monthly Leader Silver (2) Monthly Leader Bronze (2) Standard Achievement (4)
Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (3)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (34) General Achievement (20) Clan Achievement (33)
Challenge Achievement (11) Tribe Achievement (7) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (1)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 am

shoop76 wrote:I think its another great idea, but again like so many things of late, poorly set up. Why are all these tokens needed to enter these tournaments? You are forcing players to play meaningless games (besides the tokens) that greatly inflates people's game counts. Games that I, for one don't enjoy and in turn is making me tired of this site. And now you are increasing the amount of tokens needed. Only the members that spend a lot of time on this site can keep up with all this tournaments or at least the games needed to collect these tokens.

Again, great structure and I can only imagine the amount of thought and time you have put into the organization of this. However, if you wanted more participation you should have made entry requirements for these tourneys easier. Personally I will not waste any more time chasing tokens, so I am done with these tournaments.

I'm sorry you feel that way, shoop. Since you're one of the greats of the tournament world, naturally I sit up and listen when you criticize. I hope we get you back at some point. This project has been experimental from the beginning, yes. To some degree we are making it up as we go along.

I have to say, though, that it is precisely because I'm considering people's game loads that this change has come about. For me, keeping up with collecting the tokens has been the easiest part of this. I've joined every single tourney in the series, and I still have 30-something tokens left over. 11- and 12- player games on the specified maps almost always drop a token, and usually when I join those my turn only comes up once every 2 to 4 days, so although they add a lot to the total number of games I'm carrying, they actually don't hurt my current (turns waiting) load all that much.

It's the games within the tournaments themselves that are hard for me to take, because many of them are 1v1 or poly and force me to take a turn every day, which is sometimes pretty rough considering my R/L schedule. This is why I've committed myself to having some more small tournaments in this group.

We did originally project non-game activities that would drop tokens. This is one of the things that unfortunately had to go by the wayside because both myself and DoomYoshi became considerably busier in our day jobs. It's still in the plan; if work slows down or if another volunteer steps forward it will still happen.

Another thing to consider is history itself. The first couple months of the war were incredibly eventful. After that, things settled down for the long haul. For us, trying to replay the war in tournament terms, it's been a big challenge. We've had to "front load" the event. There are a huge number of battles to be simulated at the beginning, but there are fewer and fewer as time goes on. So, once that crazy rush of 1914 is done, there will be fewer battles to commemorate each month and consequently fewer tourneys. So far it's been seven or eight new tournaments per month. That pace will slow down.

denominator wrote:
Great adjustment.

I especially like getting tokens back for doing well. One of the things that I think we'd all appreciate is getting tokens for winning tournament games, but this is a healthy compromise.

Thank you for the vote of confidence...:)
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby denominator on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 am

shoop76 wrote:I think its another great idea, but again like so many things of late, poorly set up. Why are all these tokens needed to enter these tournaments? You are forcing players to play meaningless games (besides the tokens) that greatly inflates people's game counts. Games that I, for one don't enjoy and in turn is making me tired of this site. And now you are increasing the amount of tokens needed. Only the members that spend a lot of time on this site can keep up with all this tournaments or at least the games needed to collect these tokens.

Again, great structure and I can only imagine the amount of thought and time you have put into the organization of this. However, if you wanted more participation you should have made entry requirements for these tourneys easier. Personally I will not waste any more time chasing tokens, so I am done with these tournaments.


I actually found it very easy to accumulate the tokens. Like Dukasaur said, create/join a bunch of 6-12 player games that usually take a bit longer to start, and have a longer burn between turns so that it doesn't stress out your game load too much. Then, in the short term, if you have a weekend or couple of days that you know you can move games quickly, join a bunch of 1v1s on the necessary maps. I'm finding a drop rate of about 25% in the 1v1s, which when coupled with the fact it's two players gives you about 12.5% chance of a drop just for joining. Wins seem to drop at about 50-75% of the time, so if you join and win you'll usually pick up a token, even in a 2 player game. Once you hit 6 players, it seems to drop for a win every time. I quite quickly stacked up 30 tokens, which is more than enough to join all the tournaments for a while, and as my bigger games start and finish I'm finding a fairly constant token level.

Fewnix wrote:This might prove interesting to tourney folk.

The First World War in 261 weeks is originally a Dutch podcast by Tom Tacken (http://www.veertienachttien.nl), translated by Peter Veltman.

Every week of the war a new character, introduced by the main events of that particular week. The series will run from 28 June 2014 (shooting at Sarajevo) till 28 June 2019 (Treaty of Versailles).

RSS-feed Podbean for your podcatcher: http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.podbean.com/feed/

Available in iTunes and Stitcher (thanks for reviewing).




http://thefirstworldwarin261weeks.com/


This podcast is fantastic. Thanks for posting it!
Image
User avatar
Cadet denominator
 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:41 am
Location: Calgary
Medals: 79
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (12) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (2)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:54 am

Our celebration of the legendary Christmas Truce is now open for sign-ups.

Two things separate The Christmas Truce from other tournaments in the Great War series:
  1. There is a full freemium amnesty, to commemorate the Christmas spirit. Free members will not only be able to join the tournament, but they will be put into their games even if they don't have slots available. This is a rarely-offered exemption; please accept it as a gift from Conquer Club and the Community Team.
  2. This tournament will only regenerate for 48 hours, unlike the much longer periods used for other tournaments in this series. The first one went up at 2120 hours (9:20 pm for people using the archaic 12-hour clock) on December 24th, so the last one will go up on December 26th. Any remaining spaces can still be filled, but no new iterations of this tournament will be created after 2120 on December 26th. Move fast!


show: the Christmas Truce Dec 24th 2120 to Dec 26th 2120


Merry Christmas from the Great War team!
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby willedtowin1 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:23 am

Dukasaur wrote:Our celebration of the legendary Christmas Truce is now open for sign-ups.

Two things separate The Christmas Truce from other tournaments in the Great War series:
  1. There is a full freemium amnesty, to commemorate the Christmas spirit. Free members will not only be able to join the tournament, but they will be put into their games even if they don't have slots available. This is a rarely-offered exemption; please accept it as a gift from Conquer Club and the Community Team.
  2. This tournament will only regenerate for 48 hours, unlike the much longer periods used for other tournaments in this series. The first one went up at 2120 hours (9:20 pm for people using the archaic 12-hour clock) on December 24th, so the last one will go up on December 26th. Any remaining spaces can still be filled, but no new iterations of this tournament will be created after 2120 on December 26th. Move fast!

it·er·a·tion
ˌitəˈrāSHən/
noun

the repetition of a process or utterance.
a new version of a piece of computer hardware or software.
plural noun: iterations





show: the Christmas Truce Dec 24th 2120 to Dec 26th 2120


Merry Christmas from the Great War team!
User avatar
Brigadier willedtowin1
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: In Your Head
Medals: 83
The Championships Bronze (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (31)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:19 pm

willedtowin1 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Our celebration of the legendary Christmas Truce is now open for sign-ups.

Two things separate The Christmas Truce from other tournaments in the Great War series:
  1. There is a full freemium amnesty, to commemorate the Christmas spirit. Free members will not only be able to join the tournament, but they will be put into their games even if they don't have slots available. This is a rarely-offered exemption; please accept it as a gift from Conquer Club and the Community Team.
  2. This tournament will only regenerate for 48 hours, unlike the much longer periods used for other tournaments in this series. The first one went up at 2120 hours (9:20 pm for people using the archaic 12-hour clock) on December 24th, so the last one will go up on December 26th. Any remaining spaces can still be filled, but no new iterations of this tournament will be created after 2120 on December 26th. Move fast!

it·er·a·tion
ˌitəˈrāSHən/
noun

the repetition of a process or utterance.
a new version of a piece of computer hardware or software.
plural noun: iterations





show: the Christmas Truce Dec 24th 2120 to Dec 26th 2120


Merry Christmas from the Great War team!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying I spelled it wrong, or I'm using it wrong, or what? Please explain; I'm really not sure what you're criticizing here.
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby willedtowin1 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:21 pm

for Us Peons who didnt know the word well....lol
User avatar
Brigadier willedtowin1
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: In Your Head
Medals: 83
The Championships Bronze (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (31)

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:35 pm

willedtowin1 wrote:for Us Peons who didnt know the word well....lol

Ah, ok.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 19594
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 212
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (24) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (25) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (18)

Re: The Great War

Postby IcePack on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Unfortunately I tend to agree with shoop. This is something I would be really interested in participating in. However since tokens are only dropped with very specific game types, when it started I tried getting tokens and realized I was never going to be able to participate that much because the only token drop games were so far from my regular game selection, I would never get any unless I dedicated 100% of my pick up games to tokens and 100% of my other time on the games.

It would be nice to have tokens be more widely available / dropped on many game types so that even casual players (for a casual site) could participate from time to time without killing themselves with game counts. Then have higher drop rates on whatever games you have it on now, so that the die hards can go gung-ho and join everything in site with 100 tokens they've picked up. Allowing more people to particioate
Image
User avatar
Captain IcePack
Clan Director
Clan Director
 
Posts: 13203
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 147
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (35) Challenge Achievement (4) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (13)
General Contribution (24)

Re: The Great War

Postby stealth99 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 am

Guys click on the spoiler above, in Dukasaur's post about the Christmas Truce, for a link leading to an article about the Christmas Truce. It is a fascinating read and a story that we all should know, particularly this time of year.

There were actual soccer games played in no mans land on Christmas Day, with scores of the games reported in British Newspapers. Crazy.

Thanks dk for bringing us this stuff. What an opportunity to follow this 4 year great war, battle by battle. Interesting to see that when people at home received letters from their loved ones in the war, it was customary to send them to the newspaper to have the letters published for all to see. That was the way people got their news.

Incredible stuff.
User avatar
Corporal stealth99
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america
Medals: 109
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (26) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (8) Challenge Achievement (9) Tribe Achievement (2)
Tournament Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nswift04, pconnolly365