Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:54 am

ConfederateSS wrote:------I know we are shortening them...But I would like to Do Passchendaele,when I make my way to it after doing others in order...When I get to it...I would like to request right now to do an 11 rounder on,Passchendaele,for it was one of the most unique and DEADLIEST battles of World War I...Ironic as the city was named for Peace/Jesus... :)

Okay, under four conditions:
  1. Start on it right away. Don't wait until we're caught up to that point.
  2. You have to do a really, really good job on it...:)
  3. To do an 11-rounder in the last year, you have to pay attention to how you're going to make these rounds move along. No snoozefest No Spoils or Flat Rate Trench.

There's really only one three ways to keep games on schedule: The first is 1v1. Almost anything in 1v1 will move pretty quickly. At least a few of the rounds should be 1v1. The second way is Sunny No-Trench Escalators. They usually wrap up in three weeks or less. I would make at least some of the rounds Sunny No-Trench Escalators. However, since Passchendaele was such a monstrous trench battle, I suppose you have to use Trench for a majority of the rounds. There's no way to guarantee a Trench game will move quickly. Nukes help, somewhat. Blowing up shit behind the enemy lines is one way to get a trench game to move, but it doesn't always work. Still, better than nothing. Parachute forts also help slightly.

If you make at least some of the rounds 1v1, at least some of them sunny no-trench escalating, and at least some of the trench rounds Nuke, and completely avoid No Spoils, you should be able to design an 11-rounder that wraps up in a year.
  4. Passchendaele is kind of a big deal to Canadians. It's a bit of national pride that the Canadians took the ridge after everybody else had tried and failed. I was going to ask one of the Canadians on the team to try this one. If you want it, I expect to see some Canadian content...:)

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:13 am

The Montenegrin Campaign

As we have described in previous tournaments, with the entry of Bulgaria into the war the balance of power shifted in favour of the Central Powers rather drastically. Serbia, which had managed to keep the Austro-Hungarian Empire at bay since the start of the war, finally collapsed. Attempting to withdraw the Serbian Army south to meet up with French forces in Greece, one of the routes taken was through Montenegro and Albania. The Austrians decided the time had finally come to knock Montenegro out of the war.

Round 1: The balance of power in the Balkans had shifted radically toward the Central Powers.
5X Polymorphic Quad games, Flat Rate, fog, trench
Maps: Balkan Peninsula, Macedonia, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Europe 1914, France
20 players start and 16 advance

Round 2: Geographic isolation made it unlikely that anyone could help
3X 5p Terminator games, site default settings
Maps: Vertex, Thyseneal, Bamboo Jack
15 players start and 6 advance

Round 3: The end came swiftly
The King fled to Italy, some elements of his army escaped to Greece, but most surrendered. The victorious Austrians were encouraged, and some generals were rewarded with Hungarian baronies. The ideal of a pan-Slavic alliance suffered another blow.
5X 6p Standard games, flat rate and fog. 100-round limit
Maps: Unification Italy, Pelo War, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Magyarorszag, Moscow

References
A simple article, in wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_Campaign_of_World_War_I
A much more detailed article, in 1914-1918 Encyclopaedia: https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/montenegro
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:52 pm

How many god damn insozo's were there? we are up to 9 now? was there a different tourney for each of these?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:How many god damn insozo's were there? we are up to 9 now? was there a different tourney for each of these?

show: Duks list

From Duk's list, it looks like we'll have a total of 12 isonzos. And yes, there was a different tournament for each of them.
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:02 pm

LiveLoveTeach wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:How many god damn insozo's were there? we are up to 9 now? was there a different tourney for each of these?

show: Duks list

From Duk's list, it looks like we'll have a total of 12 isonzos. And yes, there was a different tournament for each of them.

Yeah, that Cadorna was a stubborn old fellow. He was apparently a big fan of William H Hickson.

William H Hickson wrote:Hickson is credited with popularizing the proverb:

'Tis a lesson you should heed:
Try, try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try, try again.[2]

The proverb can be traced back to the writings of Thomas H. Palmer in his Teacher's Manual, and The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat.[3]
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:------I know we are shortening them...But I would like to Do Passchendaele,when I make my way to it after doing others in order...When I get to it...I would like to request right now to do an 11 rounder on,Passchendaele,for it was one of the most unique and DEADLIEST battles of World War I...Ironic as the city was named for Peace/Jesus... :)

Okay, under four conditions:
  1. Start on it right away. Don't wait until we're caught up to that point.
  2. You have to do a really, really good job on it...:)
  3. To do an 11-rounder in the last year, you have to pay attention to how you're going to make these rounds move along. No snoozefest No Spoils or Flat Rate Trench.

There's really only one three ways to keep games on schedule: The first is 1v1. Almost anything in 1v1 will move pretty quickly. At least a few of the rounds should be 1v1. The second way is Sunny No-Trench Escalators. They usually wrap up in three weeks or less. I would make at least some of the rounds Sunny No-Trench Escalators. However, since Passchendaele was such a monstrous trench battle, I suppose you have to use Trench for a majority of the rounds. There's no way to guarantee a Trench game will move quickly. Nukes help, somewhat. Blowing up shit behind the enemy lines is one way to get a trench game to move, but it doesn't always work. Still, better than nothing. Parachute forts also help slightly.

If you make at least some of the rounds 1v1, at least some of them sunny no-trench escalating, and at least some of the trench rounds Nuke, and completely avoid No Spoils, you should be able to design an 11-rounder that wraps up in a year.
  4. Passchendaele is kind of a big deal to Canadians. It's a bit of national pride that the Canadians took the ridge after everybody else had tried and failed. I was going to ask one of the Canadians on the team to try this one. If you want it, I expect to see some Canadian content...:)

------Yes, I hate no spoils,Trench(most of,if not all should be done NO TRENCH,it was more of a battle of movement as the battled for 3 objectives in a circle ,kind of ;) ,no flat rate,....Sunny is awesome for most rounds...Not only is 1-vs-1 kool...I will keep the round limit at 20 ,for all the battles I write from now on...
------I know, You Canadians should be damn proud of your men ,they did a hell of a job... =D> =D> ...But Passchendaele is not just a WW1 battle in history...It is well known for the destruction by all around the world...AS FAMOUS WITH THE BATTLES OF ANNIHILATION ,Like CANNAE...etc...
------I get on it......Being from Detroit/Windsor Area....I'll do my Very Best to bring the battle alive...Accounting for all involved....I make sure The True North Country is well represented,even though Detroit is North of Canada...;)...I'll have it done asap...To hit other battles to get The Great War back on track... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 am

We now have a 3-way tie at the top of the Great War scoreboard.

Osman76 has caught up to Ukey and Shoop76. They have 28 Battle Medals each.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Montenegrin Campaign is up.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 am

Battle of Mojkovac

The Montenegrin Army fought a desperate rear-guard campaign in order to give the retreating Serbians a chance to reach Albania. At the town of Mojkovac, they were ordered to make a stand. The Austro-Hungarian forces had a 3-1 numerical superiority as well as superior weapons, equipment, and experience. Nonetheless, the Montenegrins were dug in and fighting on home turf.

The fighting peaked on January 7th, the Orthodox date for Christmas. Thus, the day is remembered as "Bloody Christmas" in (mostly Orthodox) Montenegro. In deep snow, the final Austrian assault was beaten back and the Austrians were forced to retreat with heavy loss of life.

Round 1: The Montenegrins dig in at Mojkovac and face the Austro-Hungarians
5X 6p Standard games, Flat Rate, fog, trench
Maps: Austro-Hungarian Empire, Balkan Peninsula, Yugoslavia, Siege, Stalingrad
24 players start and 8 advance

Round 2: Bloody Christmas
8X 8p Terminator games, fog, NO trench, 2 each of escalating, flat, nuke, zombie
Maps: Christmas

References:
wikipedia - basic article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mojkovac

-- DK
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 am

Koprukoy, Erzerum, and Trebizond

I'll let wikipedia give the background...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erzurum_Offensive#Background
wikipedia wrote:After the defeat at the Battle of Sarikamish, the Ottomans tried to reorganize. The Armenian Genocide made supplying their forces a problem.[1] Trade by Armenians, which had supplied the Ottoman Army, was disrupted.[1] Dismissal of Armenian soldiers into labor battalions and their massacres further worsened the problem.[1] However, throughout 1915, the northern sectors of this front remained quiet.

At the same time, the end of the Gallipoli Campaign would free up considerable Turkish soldiers. Nikolai Yudenich, commander of the Russian Caucasus Army, knew this and prepared to launch an offensive. He hoped to take the main fortress of Erzurum in the area followed by Trabzon. It was a difficult campaign as Erzurum was protected by a number of forts in the mountains.[1]

Eight of these divisions were designated for the Caucasus Front. Yudenich believed he could launch an offensive before these divisions could be ready for battle

The decisive battle was the first in the series. At Koprukoy, the Russians badly mauled the Turkish army and forced it to retreat. The Turks lost about 20,000 of their 65,000 troops , while the Russians lost about 12,000 of the 75,000 they started with. The difference between 15% casualties and 30% casualties is significant. Before Koprukoy, Yudenich's forces were only slightly larger than Abdul Pasha's. After Kuprokoy, Yudenich's forces were very significantly larger than Abdul Pasha's. Yudenich also had better artillery, better intelligence, better morale, and of having won the first round had momentum on his side.

Erzerum was a fortress city with powerful defenses. Defenses, however, are worthless without men to guard them. The Turks did not have enough troops left to man all of the strong-points on their perimeter. The Russians laid down a blistering artillery barrage, and attacked wherever they liked. If they found some sector strongly held, they simply switched to a different point. The Russians climbed the Kargapazar Ridge, which the Turks believed to be impassable and hadn't bothered to fortify. In rapid succession the many forts surrounding Erzerum were captured.

In the end, Erzerum was taken in only six days, a stunning humiliation for a fortress city. It brings to mind the shocking collapse of Singapore in WWII.

The Russians were now strongly ascendant in the whole region. A couple months later, they made their victory complete by capturing the proud and ancient city of Trebizond.

Russian soldiers showing off a captured Turkish gun

By Unknown - Niva magazine no 11, 1916, via ruWiki, scanned and first uploaded by Vizu., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5582167

Round 1: The Armenian Genocide had weakened the economy of the Ottoman Empire
7X 1v1 games, randomly escalating, nuke, and zombie, randomly chained and parachute
Maps: Age Of Merchants, Gilgamesh, Alexander's Empire, Vertex, Imperium Romanum, Middle East WWI Ottoman Empire
22 players start and 18 advance

Round 2: On the other hand, the Allied retreat from Gallipoli freed up many Ottoman troops
4X Polymorphic dubs games, no spoils, fog, half chained and half parachute
Map: WWI Gallipoli
18 players start and all advance

Round 3: Russian commander Nikolai Yudenich decided to strike quickly before the Turks could reorganize
5X 9p Terminator games, sunny, no trench, escalating
Map: Eurasia
18 players start and 8 advance

Scores reset
Round 4: An epic battle around Koprukoy cost 32,000 soldiers their lives
7X 8p Terminator games, escalating, fog
Map: Feudal Epic
8 players start and 6 advance

Round 5: The fortress city of Erzerum fell in only 6 days
It brings to mind the shocking collapse of Singapore in WWII.
5X 6p Terminator games, nuclear
Map: Bamboo Jack
6 players start and 5 advance

Round 6: Two months later, the proud and ancient port of Trebizond was taken
6X 5p Standard games, flat rate and fog
Map: Third Crusade

-- DK
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:16 am

A German bunker at Fromelles.

By Bundesarchiv, Bild 146-1994-105-20 / Unknown / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5483609

Battle of Fromelles

The situation on the Western Front continued to be dominated by trench warfare, resulting in very heavy casualties whenever an assault was made. The Battle of Fromelles (one component of the larger Battle of the Somme) was no exception. Generals Charles Munro and Richard Haking planned an assault against two villages on the Aubers Ridge -- Aubers and Fromelles, . Soon, however, they realized they did not have enough resources to assault both and trimmed the scope of the attack to Fromelles only.

The newly-arrived Australian 5th Division was assigned to the main attack. Another Australian division and four British divisions were given supporting roles. The German positions were very heavily fortified, not just with trenches but with many bunkers and blockhouses. The attack began at 6 pm on the night of July 19th, and was over by 8 am on the morning of July 20th. Although some minor ground was gained, overall the attack was a failure. 5,500 Australians died, along with 1,500 British and 1,000 German soldiers.

Douglas Haig later said the attack was necessary to pin down German reserves and prevent them from reinforcing their brethren on the main Somme battlefield, but historians point out that in fact German reserves were moved to the Somme soon after the battle. A German intelligence assessment called the attack "operationally and tactically senseless". The official Australian historian, C.E.W. Bean, wrote that "the Bavarians might have doubted that the British would sacrifice 7,000 men as a decoy," but in fact that's exactly what they did. The heavy casualties and the dubious importance of the operation demoralized the Australian Corps and caused friction between Australian and British leaders -- friction which continues to this day. A 2016 ceremony unveiling a new Australian memorial was attended by Australian and French soldiers but British soldiers were specifically excluded.

Round 1: The Western Front continued to be dominated by trench warfare
5X 4p Standard games, random fog, trench, random spoils
Maps: Europe 1914, France, Trench Warfare
20 players start and all advance

Round 2: Fromelles is a little village in northern France
3X 10p Standard games, fog and trench, 1 each of escalating, flat, nuclear
Maps: France 2.1
20 players start and 12 advance

Round 3: The newly-arrived 5th Australian Division was about to see trial by fire
4X 6p Terminator games, site default settings
Maps; Australia
12 players start and 7 advance

Round 4: 7000 Allied troops died in 14 hours, or 500 per hour
5X 7p Terminator games, 1 each of esc, flat, nuke, zombie, no spoils
Maps: Conquer 500
7 players start and 5 advance

Round 5: The Germans losses were fairly small
2X 5p Standard games, flat rate, fog, parachute
Maps: Unification Germany
5 players start and 2 advance

Scores reset
Round 6: Wounded feelings between the British and Australian commands were never healed
8X 1v1 games, fog, random trench, randomly escalating and nuclear
Maps: British Isles and Australia

Resources:
wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fromelles
the Australian government's history website: https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/dont-forget-me-cobber-the-battle-of-fromelles
a very neat little presentation which appear's to be a school project: http://www.amosa.org.au/schools/mhp/ww1/The%20Battle%20for%20Fromelles.pdf
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 am

As I'm sure you have noticed, the Great War box in Central Command is once again in promotional mode (open full time) and will be for this whole week.

That means, of course, that we have more than the usual number of tournaments available.
  1. The Battle of Romani is still with us, although its reiteration period ends today, so if you want to get in on a Romani tournament, do it now!
  2. Ninth Isonzo is currently live and will be until Thursday.
  3. The Montenegrin Campaign is currently live and will be until Saturday.
  4. Later today, the Christmas at Mojkovac tournament will begin (and will be live for the usual 7 days) just as Romani falls out of the rotation.
  5. On Wednesday, we will launch Fromelles, which will be a full freemium-exemption tournament. (Meaning freemiums can join and will be placed into games even if they don't have enough slots for the whole tournament. We try to have at least on freemie-exemption tournament with every special event.)
  6. On Thursday, just as Ninth Isonzo falls out of the rotation, we will launch KET (Koprukoy, Erzerum, and Trebizond). This will be the only big, heavy-game-load tourney for this week. For serious aficionados only!
  7. By Saturday, if all goes well, I intend to have Romania Part 1 launching at the height of the event.
  8. Maybe, just maybe, we will have a really small tourney ready for Sunday as well. I think by then everyone will be feeling pretty Great War saturated...:)

That's the tourney stuff. Now, we have some non-tourney activities for you, as well. Saturday will be Remembrance Day (or Armistice Day, or Memorial Day, or Veterans Day, depending on which country you live in) and I want this week to be a buildup to that.

On Saturday, Razorvich and his Chatters will be hosting a Live Chat Trivia Event, starting at CC Time: 2017-11-11 08:00:00 and going until (time TBA). Watch this forum for an announcement with more details about the contest.

Meanwhile, in the forums, there are a couple of things I would like to do, but I will need volunteers to run them. I'm going to be working that day and unavailable, so if these things will happen someone must step up. Both of these things are based on Remembrance Day activities I like to listen to on public radio (it seems I'm usually working on Remembrance Day and somewhere out on the highway, so public radio is my friend), but I think they would adapt themselves very nicely to being run in our forum.
  • The first is one of my favourite Remembrance Day activities, where I just drive around listening to the Remembrance Day programs on public radio. One of the things they always do is have people's first-hand accounts of the war. Since the last WWI veteran died five years ago we can no longer have first-hand accounts, but we can have second- or third- or fourth-hand accounts. Did your grandfather have some favourite stories of the war that he liked to tell? Come and share them with us! We can try to have prizes for the best, the most realistic, and the most passionate war story, but mainly this is about joining your fellow Conquer Clubbers in communing and stealing grandpa's best story!
  • The second is a "prayer meeting", also inspired by public radio, where people call in and offer Remembrance Day prayers. I would like someone to step forward and organize this. As a well-known and vocal atheist, I think I would be a poor choice to organize this, but perhaps one of our religious folk could step up and organize something? Maybe as Armistice Hour approaches, we could create a private chat room for people of faith to go in and share prayers with each other. Afterwards, they could choose to (but would not be obligated to) share their prayers in the main thread. I don't think there will be any prizes for this (I certainly don't want to be responsible for judging people's prayers!). I just think it could be the beginning of a Conquer Club informal tradition. Remembrance Day isn't just about the Great War, it is a recognition of the sacrifice made by all soldiers on all sides in all conflicts, and coming together with your fellow Conquer Clubbers and offering few words of benediction may be just the thing to make this day feel special.
If you've never before organized an event in the forums, this is your invitation to try your hand at it. It's not as hard as it sounds.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:52 am

-----------I'll have Passchendaele ready ,Tue. night/Wed/morning...As the real fight ended 100 years ago on Nov.12th...I hope I can do justice with my writing in HONORING the Warriors of THE GREAT WAR...
-------I DON'T HAVE A WWI STORY...BUT ON THE 60TH ANN. OF D-DAY...I WENT TO WINDSOR CASINO...I LOST $1,111(NOV.11 ;) )...US DOLLARS...I KNEW I SHOULD OF STAYED HOME...EARLIER THAT MORNING I WATCHED CEREMONIES ON CHANEL 9 CBC WINDSOR , BEING HELD AT NORMANDY...AS I WAS LEAVING THE TABLE. I JUST REMEMBERED I GAVE THE DEALER MY LAST FEW DOLLARS AS I WAS TIPPING HIM ALL NIGHT...I WAS LIKE,OH! NO...I JUST REALIZED I HAD NO MONEY FOR THE BRIDGE BACK TO DETROIT...THE DEALER LAUGHED AND GAVE ME $5 CAN.... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Dukasaur wrote: Now, we have some non-tourney activities for you, as well. Saturday will be Remembrance Day (or Armistice Day, or Memorial Day, or Veterans Day, depending on which country you live in) and I want this week to be a buildup to that.

Congrats to sempaispellcheck, who pointed out that it's Veterans' Day in the U.S., not Memorial Day. He's the only one who corrected me on this, so I can see how closely the rest of you read...:P

In addition, it turns out it's celebrated as Independence Day in Poland, as the Armistice paved the way for Poland to regain its independence.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:38 am

Rumania Part 1: The Decision

Gigi_b seems to have left the site. However, the beautiful work he has done here shall not go to waste.

This will be the first of three tournaments based on his article. We will go with his map lists from sections 1, 2, and 3 of his article, with some additions by myself.

In section 1 gigi specified some settings, but in 2 and 3 he did not. The exact sequence he wanted for round 1 cannot be done with the brain-dead autotournament engine, and of course for rounds 2 and 3 there is no guidance at all. I thought about this for a while, and decided to leave it wide open. We will have spoils, forts, fog and trench all randomized.

gigi_b wrote:1. Premises. Breakthrough as a state and the German Ruler

At the end of the XIX-th century, The Kingdom of Romania was a very young state, whose late self determination was mostly due to its geographical, or geopolitical position at the crossroads of Empires and their struggle for dominance in the area. The two old principalities of Moldova and Vallachia formed a personal union in 1859 with the election of the same ruling Romanian prince - Alexandru Ioan Cuza, which failed to be recognized by the rest of the European powers of the time and remained under Ottoman and Russian control.
In order to secure international recognition, the romanian political establishment sought for a foreign prince from Europe's great ruling families and found Karl of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, related to the Prussian dynastic family.
Karl quickly and diligently began carrying his duties as a ruler. He took the Romanian name of Carol and pledge himself and his dynastic family to Romania's religion, law and interests. Under his reign, Romania adopted its first Constitution, fought along side Russia in the Russian-Turkish war and gained independence from Ottoman rule, began structural modernization with rail-road infrastructure, city architecture and military structuring, his reign being shadowed by incomplete social reforms which kept the feudal-like status-quo and prompted several bloody peasant uprisings.
However he didn't forget his German origins and secretly signed an alliance Treaty with Germany and Austro-Hungaria in 1883, tying Romania to the Triple Alliance.

ImageImage
King Carol IThe Romanian Ateneu - The landmark cultural/concert building raised during Carol's reign (1888)

Maps:
- orient express, fog, trench, nuclear, X rounds -> romanian (hard) modernization (railway)
- unification germany, no fog, flat, chained - > german Prince of Hohnzollern-Sigmaringen
- WW1 ottoman Empire, escalating, fog, chained -> russian-ottoman war,
- American Civil War, no spoils, flog, chained -> social turmoil and conservative rule
- Three kingdoms of china, no spoils, fog, chained -> secret Treaty with the Triple Alliance
Duk edit:
    Adding:
  • Baltic Crusades (Germanic expansionism)
  • War of the Triple Alliance (just based on the name "Triple Alliance")

2. Romania's choices. Between kin and country.

Romania's elite and, in various measures, the political establishment, were greatly influenced by the French culture and politics of the age. Further more, in the wake of the earlier unification, the general national aspiration was towards also uniting with the other large Romanian provinces: Transylvania, Banat and Bukovina (all part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) and Bessarabia (under Russian control). This made that the general Romanian public at the start of the Great War was decisively set towards the Entente, even if that made the Bessarabia issue (as it was part of Russia which was a member of the Entente) unsolvable.
Carol's wish, sealed by the secret Treaty, of steering Romania towards the Triple Alliance at the beginning of the war in 1914, came into clash with the political establishment. The final argument was that the Treaty stipulated a Romanian intervention only in the case of aggression towards the signing nations. And, as Austro-Hungary started the war against Serbia, Romania was not bound by it so it declared its neutrality. This weighted heavily on the old king's health as his family ties with his cousin, the German Emperor Wilhelm II and Germany in general were great.
Carol died shortly after the neutrality vote, leaving the throne to his nephew, Prince Ferdinand who, although part of the same German family was more willing to listen to public opinion. Further more, his wife, Marie of Edinburgh, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria of UK was pivotal in convincing her husband in joining Entente's side, and as it turns out played an important role of support throughout the Romanian Campaign and after the end of the war.
Map of Romanian provinces (still accurate, even if from different period)
  • Wallachia(with Muntenia + Oltenia) in The South with red, Dobruja in brown and Moldova in (dark)blue make up The Kingdom of Romania pre WWI
  • to the East, Bessarabia in light-blue was under Russian control
  • Bukovina in light blue to the North, Transylvania and Banat (in green) were under AUstro-Hungarian Empire and the focus of the 1916 Romanian campaign

ImageImage

Marie of Edinburgh (at 18) and Prince Ferdinand of Romania (at 28) in 1893, the year of their marriage

Maps:
- Austro-Hungary -> the purpose of the war was getting Transilvania as part of the kingdom Kingdom
- Egypt: Valley Of The Kings -> "secret" relationships between kings/pharaos
- family feud ->
- Battle Of Actium -> just like Cleopatra, Marie convinced her husband to fight against his own nation/family
Duk edit:
    Adding -
  • France 1789 and Austerlitz (representing the popular love for French culture
    Switching -
  • Magyarorszag instead of AH, as all the disputed lands were in the Magyar side of the Empire

3. Romania joins Entente

After some political exploration of both sides, while using the neutrality status, Romania finally decided to get involved in the War. On 4/17th of August 1916 with the Treaty of Bucharest, Romania signed an alliance with the Entente Powers under some political and military agreements. Those involved granting the right to annex the sought for territories from Austro-Hungary: Transylvania, Crișana, Maramureș, Banat and Bukovina. The military agreement specified that the powers would supply military equipment, but also Russian support in Dobruja area to defend the Bulgarian front and the commitment to start two separate offensive in support of the new Romanian attack. While Romania was to attack Austro-Hungary from the south, Russia was to start a northern offensive (in the ongoing Brusilov Offensive) and France and Great Britain were to open an offensive in Greece (Thesalonik) to force Bulgaria out of the war and to secure the southern border of Romania from an attack there.
The need for supplies and relief offensives by Russia to the North and the allies in Greece was particularly important, as Romania was rather unprepared and poorly armed for the standards of 1916, thus "Romania facing a war on two fronts would be a liability, not an asset, to the Allies" (Wikipedia)
The Romanians from the provinces under Austro-Hungarian control entered the war in the Imperial army from the very beginning. But as Romania joined the conflict, many decided that "it was much better to risk their lives through desertion, rather than shoot their ethnical conationals"(Wikipedia).

Cartoon from a local newspaper depicting the support King Ferdinand (in the center) got after delivering the declaration of war. The top part depicts 2 young girls wearing romanian traditional outfits, Bessarabia and Transilvania, being molested by russian officer on the left and austrian and hungarian on the right. The bottom message is a play of words which would (roughly) read: "Not with the Tzar, but with the Country!/ Not with the German but with our Kind!"

Maps:
- Chinese Checkers -> for the multiple military maneuvers stated in the treaty that ought to have lead to the best outcome for Romania's joining the war
- Arms Race -> depicting the need for supplies
- Austro-Hungarian Empire -> again the provinces granted by the Treaty to go under Romanian control
- Salem's Switch -> executions by hanging for romanian deserters from the Autro-Hungarian army

Duk edit:
    Adding -
  • Ancient Greece (to make it best-of-five, and representing the provision in the Treaty of Bucharest that Britain and France were obligated to open a new offensive from Thessalonika.)

Round 1: King Carol I was kin to the Hohenzollerns and tended toward the Central Powers.
1 point per game
7X 1v1 games, randomly foggy, randomly trenchy, random forts, random spoils
Maps: Unification Germany, Baltic Crusades, Orient Express, WWI Ottoman, American Civil War, Three Kingdoms of China, War of the Triple Alliance
18 players start and 12 advance.

Round 2: The political elites and the population admired French culture and tended toward the Entente.
2 points per game
5X Polymorphic dubs, randomly foggy, randomly trenchy, random forts, random spoils
Maps: France 1789, Austerlitz, Magyaroszag, Egypt:Valley of the Kings, Battle of Actium
Seeded by score, 12 players start and 6 advance

Round 3: After long remaining neutral, Romania finally joined the Allied side
3 points per game
5X 6p Standard games, randomly foggy, randomly trenchy, random forts, random spoils
Maps: Chinese Checkers, Arms Race, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Salem's Switch, Ancient Greece

(Scores do not reset. All wins count toward your final standings.)

NOTE:
I have made a late change this contest, from 'Romania' to 'Rumania'.

Both are apparently valid, but Rumania avoids confusion with Romani and other names based on claimed Roman origins.

See: http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Rumanian/Rumanian_vs_Romanian.html
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 pm

-----The Battle of Passchendaele/Story Line------
--------------July 31st,1917-------------

-------------I Wayward Day awaken to find myself staring up at a star filled night sky. As I look around all I can see are trees sloping downwards. Nearby is a dirt pathway. As I get to my feet. A soldier comes running up the pathway, shouting,"Major!" He is wearing a uniform, like the British,but not British. Being from Detroit,MI.,USA,I know that Country's flag and uniform. Why, it is good old Canada,and the Maple Leaf. As I look down to see my uniform. It also has such markings of a Canadian uniform.
------"Hi Major, I'm Sgt. Jack Palmer.",he says. I ask him,"What is going on Sgt." "You are wanted back in the War room sir.",he replies. As we walk down the pathway, down a hill, I ask,"Where do you hail from?" "I'm from Windsor,Ontario sir.",he said smiling. "No way,me too",I said laughing. As we talked some more,I was able to make believe I was from Windsor. It was easy, but being from the future Detroit. I had to remember things in Windsor. That would have been around in this time.
------We proceed through camp to an old worn down house. We make our way to the War room. I can see General Douglas Haig going over the Allied positions on the battle map, with his Generals. he is telling his plan to break the German forces led by German General Erich Ludendorff. As Gen. Haig moves Allied forces around the battle map. His plan is to break through near the Belgian village of Passchendaele. Led by a new weapon on the battlefield "THE TANK". He wants to push through all the way to the coast. To capture German submarine pens. To stop the German sea warfare that is starving England. Also he explains that the plan must be launched before German troops from the East in Russia, boost Ludendorff's forces up in the West. Now that Russia has quit the War. Allowing Ludendorff to launch an attack. Haig has set the offensive to begin on the morning of July 31st,1917.
------For over 2 weeks Allied artillery has been pounding the German lines. But more important than that. The Allied position was they only held onto a small part of Belgium. Known as the Ypres Salient, with the Germans in front,above,and below the Salient. The Germans also have been firing shells trying to crush the Allied held Salient for over a year. What use to be a peaceful valley. With a drainage system built by Flemish farmers in the Middle Ages. To make the soil better for their crops. But all has been turned into utter desolation. To make things worse, it has been raining heavily for days on end. A rain fall this bad, hasn't hit these parts for over 70 years. With all the shelling from both sides and all the rain fall. The now flooded ground of craters, has turned into an oozing yellow quagmire of MUD.
------The land has now become impassible for tanks. More so,NO TRENCHES can be dug. The landscape now looks like the surface of the moon. Craters everywhere filled with water and mud. The Germans have found a way to get around digging trenches. They have designed a system of interlocking square rooms of reinforced concrete. The British have come to call them "Pill Boxes",because it reminds them of a pharmacist's pill box.
------As I sit in my tent ,I can hear the bombs falling on the Germans. Who should enter my tent, but head of the Canadian forces,General Sir Arthur Currie. Along with the commander of the British carrier pigeon service,Major Alec Waley. "Good evening Major Day.",says Currie. "I've come hear along with Major Waley,to go over things with you.",the General says as he turns to Waley. Waley begins to speak,"Major Day, do to the battlefield becoming a swamp. Radios are to heavy to carry,not to mention the are bulky. The shelling has cut telephone lines ,and message runners can't get through the mud. The danger of gas,gunfire to pass through. So to keep up and maintain communications at the front. we have been using carrier pigeons. In fact 75% of news coming to Headquarters has come from carrier pigeons. The men at the front have become to depend on these birds to save their lives. We want you to work with the birds,the War room and the artillery up on the hill at the edge of camp. Will you?" "Yes.",I replied. "Good Major,very good.",smiles Gen. Currie. As they leave my tent, rain pours through the flap, all 3 of us get a cold shower of reality. After I dry off ,I head back to the War room. Where Gen. Haig has given command of the attack on the surrounding area of Passchendaele to General Hubert Gough. As Gen. Gough's 5th army would attack head on into the German lines. To his left flank was the French army led by General Francois Anthoine and the Belgian army led by General Louis Ruqouy. On Gough's right flank was the British 2nd army led by the victor of Messines, General Sir Herbert Plumer.
------As reports were coming in, that all of the shelling the British had been doing for the past 2 weeks has fallen short of the German lines. Making for harder attack. As craters of water and mud, now lay in front of the Germans. The British couldn't of helped out the Germans better if they wanted to. With rain, no tanks and added obstacles for the British to break through. Anyone else would have called off the attack. Not Haig, he was a stubborn man. He decided to go ahead with his plan. He was hell bent on smashing through to the coast and capturing the German submarine docks.
------As I look down at the battle map. I can see Passchendaele in big blueletters, and in small green letters. Villages round Passchendaele that must be taken. Which include ,Pickem Ridge, Westnoek, Hill 70, Langemarck, Menin Road Ridge, Polygon wood, Broodseinde, Poelcapelle. Along with Fort LaMalmaison and farms that the Germans have turned into forts. The Allies have 56 divisions to throw at 80 German divisions.
------Seeing what is in store for the Allies. I leave the War room. I make my way to the hill at the edge f camp. I am soon greeted by Captain Dan Sharp. He tells me that over the past 2 weeks over 3,000 guns have been used and 4.5 million shells have been fired on the enemy. On my right are a few of those heavy guns. Nearby to my left are cages housing pigeons. The birds do not seem scared by artillery fire. But even I'll admit, I get shaken by the sounds of the guns. Those birds must be made of stone. As the shelling stops, I take out my field glasses from my satchel. With my field glasses I can just about see to the other side of the planet. I can see a beaten landscape, with a gloomy look of that of the surface of THE MOON itself. I see the tired and frozen facial expressions from the men on both sides of this battle for a village called Passchendaele. The ones who named it to mean,"CHRIST'S PASSION AND DEATH".
------Gen. Gough's 5th army gets underway, as men from all over the British Empire make up his 5th army. Troops from New Zealand are 1st to hit the German head on. At a spot that had been the biggest man made explosion in human history. Until the USA dropped A-Bombs on Japan in World War II. The explosion was made up of 100,000 pounds of TNT, when it went off,it could be herd across the English channel. It was a set of 21 mines set off underground. In hopes to straighten out the German defensive line. Many Germans herd them digging and had pulled back to form 3 defensive lines instead of 1.
------As the New Zealanders attacked the Germans. They were bombed from 3 sides. The front and to the left and the right flanks. They were soon beaten back. In other places around the battlefield, the outcome for the start of Gen. Haig's offensive looked horrible. The Scottish and Welsh troops were being destroyed at a place called Tyne Cot. As the weeks wore on, Gen. Cough would allow 2 entire Irish divisions to be foolishly slaughtered. For this debacle, Gen. Gough was found at fault and replaced by Gen. Plumer.
------I was fortunate this morning to be in the War room, When Gen. Plumer took charge of the battle. As he headed to the battle map. He began to move the little wooden armies around. For he knew what the Germans were doing. He would show the technique of counter-attacking once attacked. As the Germans were driven out of their positions. They would send in fresh troops, they held in reserve. Specifically for the purpose of counter-attacking and these would be able to assault their exhausted enemy. Who would then be occupying the unfamiliar trenches. Plumer knew that the German artillery was better than the British. The Germans had a secret weapon of Mustard gas. Along with shells full of sneezing gas. When a soldier started sneezing, removed his mask, he would be exposed to the Mustard gas. Plumer came up with a plan to make a slow advance, under a cover of a creeping barrage. Which would prevent German counter-attacking.
------Meanwhile back on the hill I race. A carrier pigeon has just flown in with a message tied to it's leg. It reads,"My men and I have taken the village of St. Julian from the enemy. I am sending our last carrier pigeon. The Germans are assembling for a counter-attack to retake the village. We are asking for an artillery strike to be let lose on the area. Cpt. Binfield, August 3rd,1917." As I look towards the village of St. Julian with my field glasses. Our artillery starts to fire a barrage down on the Germans. As I look through my field glasses, I can see the German's counter-attack has failed. As they don't even reach the shell holes Cpt. Binfield and his men are holding onto. All they have to defend themselves, is revolvers no rifles. Lucky the artillery barrage we just shot off. Kept the Germans from retaking St. Julian. Thanks to the unsung Heros of World War I battlefields,"THE CARRIER PIGEONS."
------On October 9th,1917 Gen. Haig has decided to send in the Australians to attack Passchendaele. Even though not only were the Australians up against the Germans. The wind and rain that now has turned into a gale force storm for the Australians to battle. As the battle for the village raged on. Carrier Pigeons fought their way through the storm. The Australians battled their way all the way through to the site of where the rubble of the Old Passchendaele church once stood. But the British troops on their right flank were not able to support them. The Australians were forced to retreat back all the way to the mud holes they started from. The Australian artillery was running out of ammunition. To make matters worse. The shells they fired, buried themselves in the liquid mud. Making them harmless, as clouds of steam and fountains of water would rise up where ever they landed.
------As October 12th started, Gen. Haig went on with the battle. This day has seen the bitter cold join the rain on the battlefield. This lunatic has ordered another attack. I can see this ending in a miserable failure. As I view the battle, all I see are men struggling up to their knees and waists in the dreadful stinking mud. With their rifles and machine guns clogged with it. Some of the men are using the dead bodies to line up. Then they walk over the mud, anything goes in war.
------The only solid objects I can see in this endless waste of cratered mud. Were German Concrete pill boxes. With their machine guns that were being protected by the mud. Machine guns that operated all to well. As a carrier pigeon message would tell of one Australian, Sgt. Lewis Mcgee, armed with only a revolver. Ran 50 yards across a bullet swept ground, filled with dead bodies to step on. Shot some if the crew and captured a machine gun. I hear talk of him being awarded the Victora Cross. But even as some men do the most Spectacular deeds. The exhausted Australians were finally withdrawn by Haig. But Gen. Haig was hell bent on taking the village of Passchendaele. He ordered the Canadians to take over the battle. In the War room the Generals were at each others throats. For Haig's drive for the tiny already burnt out Belgian village was being told by ,"THE PIGEONS OF PASSCHENDAELE." The battle would offer little in a prize capture. A fight that has already annihilated entire divisions, of exhausted Britons, Australians and New Zealanders. As morale was sinking at troops watched their comrades fall into giant craters in the ground. As they drowned in muddy water.
------Along with many of the drowned dead, were exhausted wounded men who had slipped off the duckboards and were not able to escape the filthy foul smelling MUD. Sinking deeper to their deaths as they struggled. as one soldier Siegfried Sassoon wrote a poem to sum it up:
--------"I died in HELL
--------(they call it Passchendaele)my wound was slight
--------and I was hobbling back,and then a shell
--------burst slick upon the duckboards,so I fell
--------into the bottomless mud,and lost the light.
------Lucky Gen. Sir Arthur Currie was one of Haig's Generals with some sense. Currie refused to move his Canadian troops. Until the weather had eased up and adequate supplies were available.
------As I find myself back atop the hill with my field glasses. As October 26th gets underway. I can see the Canadians beginning their attack on the village of Passchendaele. Advancing through the mud and enemy fire was slow and there were heavy losses but the soldiers clawed their way forward. With an exposed battlefield like this. It would seem success was often made only by the heroic acts of a few. To push past spots of stiff enemy resistance. Overcoming overwhelming odds, the Canadians finally reach the outskirts of Passchendaele. By the end of a second attack on October 30th during a driving rainstorm.
------A week later everyone is in the War room, over looking the battle map. Gen. Haig has decided to launch a Canadian and British attack to capture the village once and for all. The attack begins on November 6th. As the Pigeons fly in from the battle for Passchendaele. All seems to be going according to plan,through heavy fighting. The task of capturing the infamous village. Fell to the 27th Battalion out of Winnipeg. They took Passchendaele that day. As the attack was going on.
------The French General Marshal Petain(of WWII fame) took Fort LaMalmaison, were the German heavy guns had been raining death onto Passchendaele. The Canadians also took the Farm Forts of Vapour to the North and Furst to the South in order to cover their flanks. It also allowed them to gain control of the high ground of Passchendaele. But as the 27th Battalion was in the act of taking Passchendaele. One Farm Fort was at a key point of the German defenses. Earlier the Australians had taken the fort. But fell back, and the Germans reclaimed it. A carrier pigeon has just brought word of one heroic man. Who alone made it possible to take the village of Passchendaele.
------Major George Pearkes/ of the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles got up. With a leg wound. Rallied a few dozen men together, charged across an open field of ground. Through heavy enemy fire, made it to CREST FARM, and captured it. Then proceeded to hold it from a number of German counter-attacks. Preventing the Germans from destroying the main advancing Canadian force, from their vulnerable flank side.
------After weathering fierce enemy counter-attacks ,the last phase of the battle saw the Canadians attack on November 10th, and clear the Germans from the eastern edge of Passchendaele Ridge. Eventually, on November 12th,1917 the Canadians took Passchendaele, or what was let of it.The battle was over and the campaign ground ton a halt. The BATTLE OF MUD was over. As the Canadian troops cheer along the battlefront of the victory. As they succeeded in a spot where others failed to do the unbelievable. They realize at the same time. It was The Great War's low point, for the Allies it was clouded in controversy and mired in seemingly useless Death.
------Air photographs of Passchendaele here in the War room. They are laid on the battle map. A landscape that now shows, half a million shell made craters, in half a square mile of the picture.This is were Gen. Haig expects his troops to hold up for the winter. Along the battle map itself, shows the British gained their objectives. Although it was very useless to them , in terms of the original plan
--------The attack from sea at Nieuport had been abandoned, and there was no hope of breaking through to the German occupied channel ports. Which were eventually blocked by hulks sunk at Zeebrugge.
-------As I take a seat just past the Battle Map. Gen. Currie leader of the Canadian forces stands in the middle of the War room, and goes on to speak,"I would like to say The fighting at Passchendaele took a great bravery by all involved. The efforts of all these men were truly remarkable. But I would like to read of the names of 9 Canadians, who did acts of some super human nature. That has earned them all the Victoria Cross:
1-Pvt.Thomas Holmes
2-Cpt Christopheer
3-Sgt. George Mullin
4 Maj. George Pearkes
5 Pvt. James Peter Roberson
6 Cpl. Collin Barron
7 Pvt. Cecil Kinross
8 Lt. Robert Shankton
9 Lt. Huge Mckenzie
-------"I would like to Honor at this time all THE CARRIER PIGEONS of PASSCHENDAELE. One of whom, wounded badly was able to make it to it's objective in delivering an important message.Died shortly after. Is awarded the Victoria Cross. I would like the world to know ,those birds are the real victoers of the battlefield."

-------As Currie walks away ,the War room goes quiet for along time. As we all remember all the lost souls , animals and men of both sides of THE BATTLE OF MUD.
-------Gen. Haig steps forward and addresses the War room,"I am to blame for the huge loss of life. I had to keep up the fighting thru Autumn. The Russian withdrawal from the war, meant more German troops would becoming are way. Allied shipping is being blasted by enemy submarines,sent from the Belgian coast. Along with weakened French morale which manifested itself in wide spread mutiny, it seemed clear that a decisive strike must be attempted before the Allied war effort collapsed. I would do it all over the same way. As long as we end up winning World War I. I would like to thank all of our men who fought so hard and well. Giving us a victory at such a dark time for our side in this war."
------Gen. Haig leaves walking with his head staring at the floor . As he felt in his heart. What I know to be fact being from the future. That the British shame for Passchendaele was so bad. The Battle of Passchendaele proved to be so contentious. That no official History of it was written until after the Second World War. As both sides suffered over 400,000 casualties each.
------As for Canada's great sacrifices and achievements on the battlefields of Europe made them known as the best offensive fighting force on the Western Front,WWI. Which would put them at the for front of advancing battles. That won the war a year later. Canada would gain great respect on the World Stage. Which earned Canada the right to sign a separate signature ,not included with England, like other members of the British Empire. On the Treaty of Versailles that formally ended THE FIRST WORLD WAR.
------As I leave the War room, I walk back up the hill at the edge of camp. I take out my field glasses ,and look at the landscape of Passchenaele. Then I point my field glasses upward at the night sky. As I view THE MOON, I think of the gray colored land and craters of Passchendaele. How they are both now cold and quiet. But yet both seem at peace. as I go to put my field glasses back in my satchel. It begins to glow. As well as all the stars in the night sky. A flash o light...Then darkness... Where will I end up this time????
Last edited by ConfederateSS on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:08 am, edited 10 times in total.

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:47 pm

-------The Battle of Passchendaele/Tournament--------
----------1/11............20 Player Tournament----------
---------------Wayward Day's Dairy:July 31st,1917-------------
-----------------The Battle of Passchendaele or "Battle of MUD" was fought in a village named for ,"CHRIST'S PASSION AND DEATH." The British Empire's forces led by Gen. Douglas Haig,would be up against The German Empire's forces led by Gen. Erich Ludendorff. The British plan was to take Passchendaele and the surrounding area. Then push through to the Belgian coast and capture the German submarine pens there. Passchendaele had a village, a ridge ,and farms turned into forts. As during the battle,each side would take turns capturing one ,and lose one ,as around in a circle they went. Not to mention when the British launched their attack. They had shelled the ground creating huge craters. Which filled up with mud and water. When heavy rains hit the area, for the 1st time in over 70 years.
----------As the British Empire's forces would led attack after attack,only to be pushed back. The Canadian troops would take Passchendaele. By means of signal acts of bravery. With help from carrier pigeons, who sent messages back and forth. While other forms of communications were becoming useless to use do to conditions. The victory by Canadian forces ,would put Canada on the map of The World Stage. Making Canadian troops the best known offensive fighting force on THE WESTERN FRONT of WORLD WAR I.

Round 1(British Isles-The British launch a massive offensive into Belgium)
20 start and 20 move on:Map:British Isles,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 2(Unification Germany-German troops try and hold ground)
20 start and 18 move on:Map:Unification Germany,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 3(Duck and Cover-Both sides unleash artillery barrages)
18 start and 16 move on:Map:Duck and Cover,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Nuclear,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 4(Celtic Nations-Troops from Scotland and Wales join in the battle)
16 start and 14 move on:Map:Celtic Nations,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 5(Ireland-Gen. Gough allows 2 Irish div. to be destroyed)
14 start and 12 move on:Map:Ireland,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 6(Circus Maximus-Both sides battle in a circle)
12 start and 10 move on:Map:Circus Maximus,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 7(Luna War-The Landscape turns to craters like on The Moon)
10 start and 10 move on:Map:Luna War,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 8(Australia-Australians fight in gale force storms)
10 start and 8 move on:Map:Australia,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,Fog,20 Rounds.

Round 9(France-Gen.Petain captures Fort LaMalmasion)
8 start and 4 move on:Map:France,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 10(Canada-Canadian troops take Passchendaele)
4 start and 2 move on:Map:Canada,1-vs-1,5 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.

Round 11(Flanders 1302-Battlefield area,before and after the battle of Passchendaele)
2 start,:Map:Flanders 1302,1-vs-1,9 games:Standard,Auto,Sequential,Escalating,Unlimited,20 Rounds.
Last edited by ConfederateSS on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 pm

ConfederateSS wrote:-----------I'll have Passchendaele ready ,Tue. night/Wed/morning...As the real fight ended 100 years ago on Nov.12th...

Okay, cool. If it can be done and coded in time, we'll launch it on the 12th.

Originally I was going to do Romania as a big tourney on the 11th, and have some little tiny tourney on the 12th. But now I've rewritten Romania Part 1 to be smaller, so we'll make that a small tourney on the 11th and have Passchendaele as a bigger tourney on the 12th. (If we can't mark the actual date of the start, we can mark the date of the end.)

ConfederateSS wrote:I hope I can do justice with my writing in HONORING the Warriors of THE GREAT WAR...
-------I DON'T HAVE A WWI STORY...BUT ON THE 60TH ANN. OF D-DAY...I WENT TO WINDSOR CASINO...I LOST $1,111(NOV.11 ;) )...US DOLLARS...I KNEW I SHOULD OF STAYED HOME...EARLIER THAT MORNING I WATCHED CEREMONIES ON CHANEL 9 CBC WINDSOR , BEING HELD AT NORMANDY...AS I WAS LEAVING THE TABLE. I JUST REMEMBERED I GAVE THE DEALER MY LAST FEW DOLLARS AS I WAS TIPPING HIM ALL NIGHT...I WAS LIKE,OH! NO...I JUST REALIZED I HAD NO MONEY FOR THE BRIDGE BACK TO DETROIT...THE DEALER LAUGHED AND GAVE ME $5 CAN.... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

Yup, definitely post that story once the storytelling thread is up. Hey, it may not be a combat tale, but it's the kind of thing that would happen to soldiers on leave...:)
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm

For Duku:

I saw there was a recent ruling in C&A that may have impacted how the rules around tournament game "suiciding" would be perceived by the powers that be moving forward. in the Olympic thread Mad implied you would be the one to ask for questions about great war so here goes. Can you please let me know about the following hypothetical situation:

it's the last round of a great war tourney and I am one game ahead. There is one 5 player game remaining and the person in second place (in the tourney) would beat me (in the tourney) in a tie breaker. The person in second place(in the tourney) is leading the last game, and I am in 5th place in the game but still have lots of troops. Can I attack him out of first place in the last round in order to preserve my victory in the tourney, even though I had no shot of winning the game? My understanding was that previously I was able to do this, but the way I'm reading this now is that I can no longer preserve my victory in the tourney without breaking the rules.

Can you give me some indication of the 'legality' of a move like this in a great war tourney?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:04 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:For Duku:

I saw there was a recent ruling in C&A that may have impacted how the rules around tournament game "suiciding" would be perceived by the powers that be moving forward. in the Olympic thread Mad implied you would be the one to ask for questions about great war so here goes. Can you please let me know about the following hypothetical situation:

it's the last round of a great war tourney and I am one game ahead. There is one 5 player game remaining and the person in second place (in the tourney) would beat me (in the tourney) in a tie breaker. The person in second place(in the tourney) is leading the last game, and I am in 5th place in the game but still have lots of troops. Can I attack him out of first place in the last round in order to preserve my victory in the tourney, even though I had no shot of winning the game? My understanding was that previously I was able to do this, but the way I'm reading this now is that I can no longer preserve my victory in the tourney without breaking the rules.

Can you give me some indication of the 'legality' of a move like this in a great war tourney?

I don't know. I think the C&A case was mainly about collusion. I think if you're acting alone it makes sense to attack the guy who would kill you in the standings. The tournament is the metagame, after all.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'll pass this along to Mad and TeeGee and we'll have a conversation, but it will probably take some time. If you have a turn waiting you have to take, the answer won't come back that soon. I would do what you think is best and let the chips fall where they may. I'll start the ball rolling on my end.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 am

Dukasaur wrote:

I don't know. I think the C&A case was mainly about collusion. I think if you're acting alone it makes sense to attack the guy who would kill you in the standings. The tournament is the metagame, after all.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'll pass this along to Mad and TeeGee and we'll have a conversation, but it will probably take some time. If you have a turn waiting you have to take, the answer won't come back that soon. I would do what you think is best and let the chips fall where they may. I'll start the ball rolling on my end.

Thanks Duku, I am not currently in this situation, but I have been in the past and would expect i could be in something more along these lines (than what happened in the recent case. ) again sometime down the road. Those guys in the Top 5 of the Great War standing are really hard to gain ground on!
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 am

Dukasaur wrote:
ConfederateSS wrote:-----------I'll have Passchendaele ready ,Tue. night/Wed/morning...As the real fight ended 100 years ago on Nov.12th...

Okay, cool. If it can be done and coded in time, we'll launch it on the 12th.

Originally I was going to do Romania as a big tourney on the 11th, and have some little tiny tourney on the 12th. But now I've rewritten Romania Part 1 to be smaller, so we'll make that a small tourney on the 11th and have Passchendaele as a bigger tourney on the 12th. (If we can't mark the actual date of the start, we can mark the date of the end.)

ConfederateSS wrote:I hope I can do justice with my writing in HONORING the Warriors of THE GREAT WAR...

Yup, definitely post that story once the storytelling thread is up. Hey, it may not be a combat tale, but it's the kind of thing that would happen to soldiers on leave...:)

------I'll type the Tourney 1st...in case my computer over heats...Then I'll start on the story...So the coding can get started...Both are done...It's just going from paper to digital... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Thanks Duku, I am not currently in this situation, but I have been in the past and would expect i could be in something more along these lines (than what happened in the recent case. ) again sometime down the road. Those guys in the Top 5 of the Great War standing are really hard to gain ground on!

---------Mookie, I say use DIVINE WIND ON THEM, AND DEAL OUT SOME FRONTIER JUSTICE...They are your armies after all,they are there to be used ,by their commander in anyway...This is a war gaming site...Not an American college, where you have to worry about someone's hurt feelings...Everyone knows,when you play a war game, you can be killed,by any means...GO FOR THE GUSTO!!! O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 am

― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby angola on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:24 am

My frustration is that while it's awesome there are a ton of new tournaments, I for some reason never get Great War tokens so I can't join them. I've been playing a lot of Poison Rome games trying for tokens, but it seems like my opponents tend to get them and not me.

Do you get the cannon tokens for wins in Great War tournaments? Anyway, I'm sure it's just more of CC's lovely random generator.
Highest rank: 48th. Highest score: 3,384. Feb. 9, 2014.
Captain angola

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives