Re: Rail S America [21.11.13] BETA READY

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Rail S America [28.2.13] V10-P6 Gameplay discussion

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm

[Moved]

At the request of the mapmaker, this map has been placed on vacation for a period of 6 months. After the 6 months the map will be considered Abandoned. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Cartographer Assistants will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

isaiah40
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: Re: Rail S America [28.2.13] V10-P6 Gameplay discussion

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:This is such a drive-by critique, so I apologize in advance. But I love the rail maps and happened to see this at the top of the forum, so wanted to encourage and comment...

Thanks Peter, sorry so long to reply.

1) "Colombian" is spelled incorrectly. "Columbian" refers to Christopher Columbus, but "Colombian" refers to the nation.

Fixed

2) "Guyannian" isn't a word. "Guyanese" would be the right word there, unless you want to stick with the made-up word for consistency's sake.

Fixed

3) Shouldn't it be "Central American" rather than "Central America?" You're using the adjective for all the other "single-country" lines, but then have the noun for Central America.
Fixed

4) I'm confused by the hats. I'm sure it's explained in this thread, so you can accuse me of being lazy for not reading through. But the fact is their purpose needs to be apparent just from reading the map. It says "hold all stations to gain the bonus." Well, what is the bonus? The number on the hat? If so, I can't understand if those are 7s or 1s on some of them. And you say all stations but I think you mean "all stations that have the same hat" as there are multiple types of hats and I can't imagine you need all of them to trigger a single bonus. Or maybe you mean one of each hat? It's very confusing. I'm not saying it needs to be scrapped, but it definitely needs to be explained better if it's going to be a key part of the map. I personally do think it's a little gimmicky and takes away from the awesome nature of the rail gameplay (I prefer Europe, Africa and Asia to the Australia Rail map, in the interest of full disclosure), but it is of course your decision if you want to use them.

Well Peter, there hasn't been feedback on this so far, i'll leave it and see what others think.
I've changed the wording to "Hold all line stations in the same city to gain the bonus on each hat".
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Rail S America [22.6.13] V11 Small

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Version 11, with fixes from above and also new hat on GCR.

Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Back you go. :punt:
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:16 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:Back you go. :punt:

Still missed?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Captain Bruceswar

Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Rail S America [23.6.13] V12 Small

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am

Version 12.
Couple of adjustments to main title and bonus titles, along with bonus legend border and Brazilia building

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:27 pm

I've added a rail line as the edge on the bonus legend.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Large V12
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Rail S America [23.6.13] V12 Small and Large

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Great to see you back in this Cairns!
Colonel Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 197
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4)
Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3)
Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (8)

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:00 pm

initially i was unimpressed with the hats but i think they can grow on me.

it did take quiet a while to find them all though, or did i spot them all :?
Sergeant 1st Class greenoaks

Medals: 138
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (4)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 am

Gilligan wrote:Great to see you back in this Cairns!

Thanks Gilligan

greenoaks wrote:initially i was unimpressed with the hats but i think they can grow on me.

They're just like the mineral bonuses in Rail Australia just different config.

...it did take quiet a while to find them all though, or did i spot them all :?

What if put into the legend wording:
"Cities with 2 & 3 line terminus stations have
markets which are popular with tourists."

Will that help?
Private cairnswk

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:03 am

cairnswk wrote:What if put into the legend wording:

Will that help?

Rail Australia is a little different & easier because of it. It is the same 3 images so i know what to look for. Those 3 images are listed in the legend.

Here i saw the legend had a hat (1 hat) and found it, not realising for a while there where different hats. so i don't know for sure if i found all the hats.

"Cities with 2 & 3 ........" is much clearer than "Some stations .....". Will it fit?

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (14)

Re: Rail S America [24.6.13] V13 Small

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:39 am

greenoaks wrote:

Will that help?

Rail Australia is a little different & easier because of it. It is the same 3 images so i know what to look for. Those 3 images are listed in the legend.

Here i saw the legend had a hat (1 hat) and found it, not realising for a while there where different hats. so i don't know for sure if i found all the hats.

"Cities with 2 & 3 ........" is much clearer than "Some stations .....". Will it fit?

OK, hats are listed.
Notation is changed.
Hope this makes it easier to understand. :)

Verson 13 Small

Private cairnswk

Re: Rail S America [24.6.13] V13S - Hats

Postby waauw on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:58 am

why are the stations around Uruguay not double boxed like the others?
also, love the map!

and are hat-cities gonna start with neutrals? cuz in 1v1 they might give strong starting advantages.

George Santayana: Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Cook waauw

Location: Physically in Belgium, mentally lost in his fantasy world
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (10)

Re: Rail S America [24.6.13] V13S - Hats

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:15 pm

waauw wrote:why are the stations around Uruguay not double boxed like the others?
also, love the map!

and are hat-cities gonna start with neutrals? cuz in 1v1 they might give strong starting advantages.

Thanks for commenting waauw :)

By highlighting one issue and stating another you've provided me with a solution to fix both.
I'll update later today after returing from town.
Private cairnswk

Re: Rail S America [24.6.13] V13 Small

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 pm

cairnswk wrote:
greenoaks wrote:

Will that help?

OK, hats are listed.
Notation is changed.
Hope this makes it easier to understand. :)

seeing all those listed, i know i didn't spot all the hats

Re: Rail S America [24.6.13] V14S - Rework

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 am

waauw wrote:why are the stations around Uruguay not double boxed like the others?
also, love the map!

OK waauw...
i've changed some of the stations around Uruguay to be double boxed....there are now 114 territories, 10 of those are neutral starts with hats (makes the 104 golden number), as per marked on this map.

greenoaks wrote:....
seeing all those listed, i know i didn't spot all the hats

The hat stations are now listed for convenience. :)

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 am

looks good to me.

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 am

Someone may have mentionned this - what is the lower hexagon in the pacific depicting, and, similarly, I am struggling to work out what the Buenos Aires picture is.

PLus, you may wish to re-word the terminus-hat explanation, especially as some of the cities are only a terminus for one line: "Hats denote a bonus for junction cities due to the flourishing sale of hats in these cities' markets.@

Good work as ever though.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant Teflon Kris

Medals: 174
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (20) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Someone may have mentionned this - what is the lower hexagon in the pacific depicting, and, similarly, I am struggling to work out what the Buenos Aires picture is.

Lower Pacific hexagon is a funicular railcar that i know is used in Bolivia and Brazil
Buenos Aires pic is a night scene looking down Av 9 de Julio towards the Obelisk, which i beleive is the main inner city thoroughfare.
"9 de Julio Avenue, located in the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina, is the widest avenue in the world. Its name honors Argentina's Independence Day, July 9, 1816". Wikipedia
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:13 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:...
PLus, you may wish to re-word the terminus-hat explanation, especially as some of the cities are only a terminus for one line: "Hats denote a bonus for junction cities due to the flourishing sale of hats in these cities' markets.@

Good work as ever though.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Done and thanks :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Rail S America [26.6.13] V15S - Small GFX Changes

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Small grfx changes to straightening the legend text alignments, and the notation of underlying neutrals at the top - whether it stays there or not is a call for "absolute need".

Private cairnswk

Re: Rail S America [26.6.13] V15S - Gameplay finished?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Does anyone have any gameplay changes to this please?
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 pm

cairns, can you do another neutrals map to show the values of the cities with two and three junctions to stop the bonus drops on the hat bonus. I take it that SCB in the south has a bonus of +1 if both C & E are held.

Other lines with only 2 or 3 stations in them, how do you want to hand these out to stop bonus drops? Lines N and D have nothing yet but H already has a neutral stated.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby Aleena on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:23 am

Maybe make one section of each Bonus a neutral - this would insure no one would receive one on a drop.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps