4 Star Meats [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Prime Beef: [Nov 13 V06-Page 8- game play

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm

oaktown wrote:It's rare that I venture into a Conk map thread these days, and when I do so it's usually to witness a train wreck. I came into this thread fully expecting to find a steaming pile, and I don't mean the one in the bottom left corner.

Instead... I kinda dig it.

There's some fun stuff going on here. The cow pat and grass attacking the hooves are brilliant, though I'm not clear as to why the pat comes from the tail and not the rump or bottom round. And there may as well be an e-coli reference. If you're going to go there, you may as well go all the way.

Lord of the Flies is weak - the region adds nothing to the gameplay and the title isn't all that clever.

As for gameplay, the middle of the map is a wasteland. Anybody who starts there is going to get hammered from both sides and lose. Something needs to be done to protect some of the middle territories.

But my biggest beef (see what I did there?) with the map is that it the fun theme isn't reflected in the graphics. This could be hilarious, but instead it's another drab map on parchment (for which I'm often guilty). Don't get me wrong, I'm ever so pleased that the typical Conquer Club pastel ice-pick-to-the-eyes palette isn't being used here, but the look of the map utterly (uh huh) lacks whimsey.

If you really want to push this project to the next level, have some fun with it. Find a theme and really milk it (yes I did). One direction to go would be to make this look like some cheesy (yup) beef industry educational campaign poster - like you're trying to take something pretty disgusting and make it attractive to a six year old.

I think oaktown is on pat here.

This map is a bunch of bull. I love it.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby rmt333 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:07 am

lol...nice puns oaktown.

i agree the middle could be a wasteland...the fat borders seem to help that though now...good addition....still a fan of this one and hope it gets at least to beta.
Corporal 1st Class rmt333

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I saw this vegetarian ad and found it amusing and it reminded me of this map

Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Wow, Peta... stay classy.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: [VACATION - valid until June 2012] Prime Beef

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:16 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Prime Beef (dec 18)

Postby dana1971 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Sorry for the delay, I've had a lot on recently and making all those lines exactly even took a while but I've done it.

I've also changed the design a bit.

Does anyone feel it needs more fat boarders.

I've also decided to keep the name Lord of the Flies because I really like it.
However if that name is going to stop it from being published then I'll change it.

Click image to enlarge.

What do I need to do to get this to the next stage?

Best Wishes,
Dana
Major dana1971

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (47) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Prime Beef [Dec 18] page 09

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, you could call it "horde of the flies" which I suppose is a bit more accurate.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:08 am

Can I ask why you need this to be larger than normal (super size)? You only have 67 territs on it and lots of wasted space.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby dana1971 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:46 am

This is my first map, so don't really know what size is good, and not sure it matters really?

Maybe "Fly swarm" sounds better?

So what do I need to do to get a gameplay sticker???

Best Wishes,
Dana
Major dana1971

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (47) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Flapcake on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 am

You could easily reduce it to 840x800 then you dont need the super S sticky, just scale it down, then maby redo the text as it probably dont like to be reducede with the picture.

oh btw, I suggest that the tale can atack the fly swarm, as in real life 8-)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby dana1971 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Still don't understand why it matters if it's a large scale map? Why not keep it large, it's got the sticker. What's the benefit of it being smaller?
Major dana1971

Postby iancanton on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 am

this is a lot better than i had initially expected.

fix the four-way border by staggering the meeting-point between thick rib, standing rib, cross rib and brisket. lengthen the standing rib fat barrier slightly at both ends, so that it's crytal clear u cannot attack across the ends from standing rib.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:12 am

dana1971 wrote:Still don't understand why it matters if it's a large scale map? Why not keep it large, it's got the sticker. What's the benefit of it being smaller?

It is not that it matters a great deal, but the super sticker is there for a reason. For maps that need the extra space. This map does not in any way need extra space. It would be very easy to get rid of the extra pixels from the sides as the top and bottom does not need shrinking.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am

if this manages to get through the foundry process i call dibs on turkey and pig maps. :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:57 am

DiM wrote:if this manages to get through the foundry process i call dibs on turkey and pig maps. :roll:

Start the Turkey one now, in a couple of days you should have great opportunity to map out the dark and light meat.
This is my one.
Kangaroo Yum Yum :D
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas