Conquer Club

[Beta] - Krazy Kingdoms

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/17] - Map Key Discussion

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am

I did a lot of map work last evening but I can't post it yet, it would just look like a jumbled mess at this point but it is moving along and should have new graphics and icons by the weekend. At least thats how the progress is looking.

Now I just need to get an evening away from the wife on a week night ... hmmm...

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:25 am

If you tell her in the morning you are going out with the guys drinking and to a strip club after work, she will be more than happy when you get home and tell her guys and strip club is a Euphemism for conquer club and maps.

The good thing about this is when you really want to go, tell her a friend is helping you out at the strip club and she will be more than happy to let you go.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Hehe ... I need to be careful about that strip club idea... she know that a strip clup just opened across from where I work.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 am

Jungle 3 and Forest 2 will not be adjacent to start zones on opposite sides of chasm's ... the next map (with toned down colors) will reflect that.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 am

Stop posting the updates and start posting the updates if you know what I mean. If not then give us a map, not words and your actions will be rewarded in the fullness of time.

Hows the new strip club? :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I just like making you look at the rainbow map

=D=

... what strip club? ... ;)
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 am

OK I got the sketch of the main map done and scanned and cleaned up.. I toned down the colors and completely took the artistic direction in another direction. I think this is feeling much more like they way I envisioned this map. I took off the icons in the version as I am still working on them as well as some small texture effects for each terrain type.

This is PHASE 1 ... I will add the icons back to the map and I have some textures for each terrain type to add in PHASE 2

=D=

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by dolomite13 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/19] - New Map Graphics (phase 1)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 am

=D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D>

Bloody glorious. Not got time to go over it now as kids have to go to school but will look later. But the bottom of the map is blank. What is going there?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am

koontz1973 wrote:=D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D>

Bloody glorious. Not got time to go over it now as kids have to go to school but will look later. But the bottom of the map is blank. What is going there?

I have to get the icons back on the map and then that blank space at the bottom is to be filled in with more descriptive text detailing the connections over chasms, maybe info about "favored" territories etc... not sure yet but I wanted to make sure I had enough space to add lots of descriptive iconography or text if needed at this is a rather odd map ;)

I will have another better draft late tomorrow... I just need to get to bed now.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Best I can do for today... may or may not have time this weekend to work on it more.

I changed how Wizards work a bit. Its similar to barbarians but not the same.

I think that this is going in the right direction.

=D=

Click image to enlarge.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/21] - New Map Graphics (phase 2)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 am

dolomite, I think you are ready for a sticky now. Will see if anyone has any objections. If not, will stamp this on Monday for you.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:11 am

koontz1973 wrote:dolomite, I think you are ready for a sticky now. Will see if anyone has any objections. If not, will stamp this on Monday for you.

=)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:25 am

Wow, this looks about 500% better than it did before. Very well done.

Regarding the new wizard setup, can the Maelstrom attack anything? It doesn't say that it can or cannot that I see, yet it says that it auto-deploys 2 each round. What's the auto for if it doesn't attack anything? Does it work like the Demons/Underworld, with the Maelstrom itself bordering and being able to attack each of your favored territories? If so, that's not really all that clear with how you it worded there.

Also, it's a little confusing having S1, etc. used twice, once for the swamps and once for the seas. Not quite sure how best to change it, but it probably does need changing just for gameplay clarity purposes.

Other than those two things, I can't see anything else to comment on, other than to say that this looks amazing. Very nice work here dolomite.
Major tkr4lf

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:29 am

Ok, actually, re-reading the Wizard description, it does say that the Maelstrom borders your favored territories, which means that it can attack them.

Hmm, it's a little confusing the way it's worded, although the point did come across after a few times reading it. Maybe it can be worded better? It is a little confusing at first, at least for me it was.
Major tkr4lf

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:57 am

tkr4lf wrote:Ok, actually, re-reading the Wizard description, it does say that the Maelstrom borders your favored territories, which means that it can attack them. Hmm, it's a little confusing the way it's worded, although the point did come across after a few times reading it. Maybe it can be worded better? It is a little confusing at first, at least for me it was.

Yep that needs a bit of revision to make it clearer. OOps on the seas/swamps I need to make the seas Sea 1, Sea 2 etc and leave the swamps S1 S2 etc... or come up with a new name for swamps or seas. Maybe Lakes or Oceans... hmmm...

Thanx for catching that.

=)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 am

dolomite13 wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Ok, actually, re-reading the Wizard description, it does say that the Maelstrom borders your favored territories, which means that it can attack them. Hmm, it's a little confusing the way it's worded, although the point did come across after a few times reading it. Maybe it can be worded better? It is a little confusing at first, at least for me it was.

Yep that needs a bit of revision to make it clearer. OOps on the seas/swamps I need to make the seas Sea 1, Sea 2 etc and leave the swamps S1 S2 etc... or come up with a new name for swamps or seas. Maybe Lakes or Oceans... hmmm...

Thanx for catching that.

=)

=D=

No problem.

Could also change swamps to marshes, sort of the same thing, but then you would have 2 M's, what with already having Mountains. I guess Seas would be better to be changed, possibly lakes would work well. Oceans sounds weird with them not looking like oceans, not big enough anyway. I would think just making them say Sea 1, etc. would be enough. Sea sounds about the best out of the 3 options...Lake works as well, but Sea seems better for what they appear to be.
Major tkr4lf

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 am

I played around with the background and started working on using icons instead of text for parts of the key. I was able to do 6 of the 11 specials in the right column. Much more work is needed but I think this is moving towards less text and that is a good thing.

=D=

Click image to enlarge.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/23] - Map Key Updates

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 am

I think you have waited long enough. From a multi coloured start to this is a big leap. Lets hope this continues in the same vain and good luck with the blue boys.

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [9/23] - Map Key Updates

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

koontz1973 wrote:I think you have waited long enough. From a multi coloured start to this is a big leap. Lets hope this continues in the same vain and good luck with the blue boys. - koontz.

Woo Hoo ... I'm back in the main foundry ... hello again folks ;)

I am currently in the middle of changing out text for graphics ...

Fanatics needs a slight revamp so as not to reward you for your starting territory.

[F] = Favored Territory

So instead of

• Each [F] = +2

Lets consider

• 2 x [F] = +2
  • 3 x [F] = +5
  • 4 x [F] = +8

Thanx

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D] - Draft Stamp Recieved - (9/24)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm starting to get a better sense of this concept now. Hopefully I'll be able to devote some time to give it a proper look over, but until then I like the direction it is going so far.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Krazy Kingdoms [D] - Key Updated - (9/25)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 am

Updated the key a lot. It is still in a state of flux with graphics not yet finalized and nothing perfectly lined up. But this should give us an idea if the map is readable and understandable just using symbology and as few words as possible.

=D=

Draft 0.0.9

Click image to enlarge.
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

I am taking a couple day break from working on this to concentrate on personal stuff but will be back in a few days to pick up where I left off. I am looking forward to the feedback.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 pm

dolomite, sorry, been a tad busy but can you clear this up for me. On he right, you have the miners symbol as 1=+2 and 3=+2. Which is it? Some of the others are the same way. Cultists, +2 for the nuclear symbol, is this for each or all of them.

I like the idea with the chasms being adjacent but this would only be used for reinforcements, does it seem a good way to use space. Maybe another simple bonus for holding both sides would make taking these territs more feasible.

Will have another look later for you in the week.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I think the land portion of the map looks good as far as bonuses go, though you might want to remove the "+1 for each territory that borders you favored territory" and "+1 for every 3 territories that are neither favored nor adjacent". I don't know that this adds anything particular special to the map, or if its even possible with the current XML (writing a continent bonus that is solely dependent on your starting territory).

As far as the bonuses on the right side, I will need to take a much closer look at them.

Also, a couple minor things...for 2 players games I think you should make it a maximum of 2 starting territories per player instead of the 4 you have now. Makes for more interesting games. And for the chasms, you might want to make those stand out a little more...they're not very noticeable.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:20 pm

koontz1973 wrote:On he right, you have the miners symbol as 1=+2 and 3=+2. Which is it? Some of the others are the same way. Cultists, +2 for the nuclear symbol, is this for each or all of them.

I like the idea with the chasms being adjacent but this would only be used for reinforcements, does it seem a good way to use space. Maybe another simple bonus for holding both sides would make taking these territs more feasible.

The miner get +2 for each mine and whne they have all 3 mines they get an additional +2

1 Mine = +2
2 Mines = +4
3 Mines = +8

The same with the undead. However dwellers get less as the territories with caverns are adjacent. Cultists get +2 per radiation symbol but no extra at all 3 as they have other abilities as well.

The reason for the chasm's is to make the distance you need to go to get to another players start position one territory greater. But for overall balance of the number of territories adjacent to your favored territories for bonus purposes it was necessary to give you a way for that territory across the chasm to be adjacent. That way the territory is valuable to both you and your closest neighbor. Otherwise with no symbol and no way to make it worth anything but part of the standard +1 for 3 bonus of non adjacent territories players may not feel all that compelled to attack it out of fear of reprisal by their neighbor.

nolefan5311 wrote:I think the land portion of the map looks good as far as bonuses go, though you might want to remove the "+1 for each territory that borders you favored territory" and "+1 for every 3 territories that are neither favored nor adjacent". I don't know that this adds anything particular special to the map, or if its even possible with the current XML (writing a continent bonus that is solely dependent on your starting territory).

As far as the bonuses on the right side, I will need to take a much closer look at them.

Also, a couple minor things...for 2 players games I think you should make it a maximum of 2 starting territories per player instead of the 4 you have now. Makes for more interesting games. And for the chasms, you might want to make those stand out a little more...they're not very noticeable.

The "personal continent" concept revolves around your favored territories and the territories adjacent to them Territories that are neither fall into that pool of "others" that make up the +1 for 3. I did because on a small map I wanted their to be a lot of troops possible to make territories change hands alot and controlling the racial bonuses difficult.

The personal continent bonus structure is as follows.

+1 for each favored territory. (+4 bonus)
+4 bonus if you control all four of your favored territories. (+4 bonus)
+1 for each land territory that is adjacent to a favored territory that you control. Territories you control on the opposite sides of a chasm are adjacent. (+13 bonus)
+1 for every 3 land territories that are neither favored nor border a favored territory that you control. (15 territories = +5 bonus)

If you control every territory you would have a bonus of 26 troops.

And yes it's possible to write a "continent" to have a required element for the bonus. Each kingdom would have several continents for bonus purposes. I think it would look something like this.

No Kingdom = +1 for every 3 of any land territories (overridden if you have any of the following)
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 2 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 3 + Border 4 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 1 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 2 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 3 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 4 + Border 4 = + 1
Kingdom 1 + Favored 1 + favored 2 + favored 3 + favored 4 = + 4 (favored synergy bonus)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 1-3 = +1
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 4-6 = +2 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 7-9 = +3 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 10-12 = +4 (overrides previous)
Kingdom 1 + Non Border/Non Favored 13-15 = +5 (overrides previous)

* The tricky part is what about holding a territory that is adjacent to a favored but not holding the favored... should that count in the +1 for 3 or not.

It is possible that the bonus should be as follows...

+1 for every 3 land territories (32/3 +11)
+2 for each controlled favored land territory (+4)
+1 for each land territory that borders a controlled favored territory (+13)

Which yield almost the same number (28 instead of 26) and grants some bonus even if someone destroys your kingdom via the forbidden lands.

As far as the starts in a 2 player game, well that is set by the game itself I cant help how it splits the drops based on the formula for start territories and neutral starts. Unless there is a setting in the xml that I don't know about to limit the number of starting positions.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 Kingdoms (Races) and 4 Adjacent Favored Territories each set to 3 armies. (8/2) - Player Start Positions
- both players would have 3 Creature Types each set to 1 armies with 5 remainder set to neutral . (11/3) - Random Drops

I've been working with the graphics a bit and want to make the map slightly bigger if I can and the key slightly smaller I will see if I can get a new map out this week.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps