Conquer Club

The Great War, new gameplay and advices needed

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War - update, January 4th, page 4

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm

brand new version. changes made:
- a little changed bonuses
- changed armies
- changed fleets
- battle sites are out, they are de facto there as two opposite armies and are represend by bonus for holding botj opposite armies. also with them map looks too full.

I am open to new ideas and advices. but please remember that I can go in standard size.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War - brand new, January 10th, page 4

Postby Seamus76 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Very nice. I really like the men and ships, good work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 am

Oneyed, Trench warfare, change to Static warfare as the sites setting of the same name will cause this a lot of confusion.
Your tiny flags for the London attack and Paris bombards, place these next to or on top of the names to make it easier to understand. The London one is closer to the England name than to London.
Your soldiers, give each pair a different look and word it +1 for each pair.
Sinai name is going over the border. Move the border so the name sits in the territ. Same with all others.
Bottom right of the map can be held with 2 or 3 territs only depending on holding Greece or not. You have huge bonuses there with very few attack points. Find a way to open it up some more.
Why does Paris bombard Somara?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:28 am

Seamus76 wrote:Very nice. I really like the men and ships, good work.

thanks.
koontz1973 wrote:Oneyed, Trench warfare, change to Static warfare as the sites setting of the same name will cause this a lot of confusion.

I do not understand here... btw, what is confused on Trench warfare when it was Trench warfare?
koontz1973 wrote:Your tiny flags for the London attack and Paris bombards, place these next to or on top of the names to make it easier to understand. The London one is closer to the England name than to London.

ok.
koontz1973 wrote:Your soldiers, give each pair a different look and word it +1 for each pair.

do you mean by colours or how? will try to do something.
koontz1973 wrote:Sinai name is going over the border. Move the border so the name sits in the territ. Same with all others.

ok, but in some places the names will be in the sea.
koontz1973 wrote:Bottom right of the map can be held with 2 or 3 territs only depending on holding Greece or not. You have huge bonuses there with very few attack points. Find a way to open it up some more.

I thought about more regions in general, but I was afraid if somebody will be able to conquer 10 regions for bonus... the bonuses could be (and I believe they will be) changed.
koontz1973 wrote:Why does Paris bombard Somara?

Samara was Transib railway station with Czechoslovak legion. Czechoslovak legion was for long time only one real organized army against Bolsheviks and was under command of French army.

thanks for input koontz.

Oneyed
in the first version Paris could one way attacks Samara. I changed this to bombard.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:02 am

Oneyed wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Oneyed, Trench warfare, change to Static warfare as the sites setting of the same name will cause this a lot of confusion.

I do not understand here... btw, what is confused on Trench warfare when it was Trench warfare?

Trench warfare may be just that, but with the sites setting called Trench, I can guarantee that you will be asked more than once why they cannot attack past this point when they are not playing trench games. Trench warfare may of been slow progress but progress was made so to have trenches as impassables would not be correct anyway.
Oneyed wrote:do you mean by colours or how? will try to do something.

Colour or even a different look entirely. Have one set as it is now, one kneeling, one crawling, one firing etc.
Oneyed wrote:ok, but in some places the names will be in the sea.

Going into the sea is OK, but wherever possible, keep the names inside the territ you have for them. This might mean a redraw of some territ lines but it will not mean a complete overhaul.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: The Great War-January 10th, page 4, advices are welcome

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:40 pm

here are two version with armies. is it realy so confused what means opposite armies? maybe we will find any possibility how toexplian it in legend. I do not so much like coloured armiesor different shapes of armies. the rest things could be solved later, I can go step by step...

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

I thought about south-east. the Ottoman Empire need secure 3 regions. the Kingdom of Bulgaria with Balkan States need secure 3 regions.
maybe the bonus for Ottoman Empire could be lower. from +4 to +3. but do not forgot that it gives -1 without Mesopotamia.
maybe I could divide Armenia to two regions, what can a little helps - there will be one more region needed to secure to hold Ottoman bonus.

also Italy is a little closed. just 2 regions need to secure. what about to do also connection between Marseille and Naples?

what about any impassables in between Germany and Austria-Hungary? is it not too open? maybe add mountains between Bohemia, Brandenburg (also Bavaria)?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War-January 11th, page 4, advices are welcome

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

Are you doing the battles still? I hope so, that was like one of the best parts of this map.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Oneyed on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Are you doing the battles still? I hope so, that was like one of the best parts of this map.

no. the battles are represent by two opposite armies and by bonus for holding both armies. the map was too full with battles.
but I am open to your advices ;)

thanks for input Industrial Helix.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:48 am

You might try giving the opposite fighting armies coordinating colors to further illustrate that they're opposite.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Oneyed on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:You might try giving the opposite fighting armies coordinating colors to further illustrate that they're opposite.

so for showing which armies are opposite you more like coloured armies as armies with different shape?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:06 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Oneyed wrote:

Trench warfare may be just that, but with the sites setting called Trench, I can guarantee that you will be asked more than once why they cannot attack past this point when they are not playing trench games. Trench warfare may of been slow progress but progress was made so to have trenches as impassables would not be correct anyway.

They are passable through the armies though, so I think it's still a valid idea.
How about calling them "trenches" rather than "trench warfare"?

Love the map, by the way. Keep it up.
Major tokle

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:57 am

There is an inconsistency between names rendered in English (Moscow, Naples) and name rendered in local language (Wien.) I would go either all English (Moscow, Naples, Vienna) or all local (Moskva, Napoli, Wien.)

Personally I would prefer the local variant for flavour, but all-English works okay too. As long as it's one or the other, consistent, either would be acceptable to most people.

Also, during WWI Petersburg was renamed Petrograd. This is valid in both English and Russian.

I would like to see a city in Belgium and in general 2 or 3 more cities in Western Europe. I realize it is a crowded area and they will be hard to fit, but for historicity I think it's important to give weight to the economic importance of the industrialized West relative to the agricultural East.

If you could somehow squeeze in Montenegro I think that will give some historical feel, considering how amazing was the Montenegrin performance in the first year of WWI despite its tiny size and eventual doom. Again, I realize it's a crowded area, but I think with some twiddling it can be done.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Dukasaur, I was just about to post the same thing about the names. Also, Oneyed, first post, please only have the most current version on display. If you want people to decide over different versions, direct them to it with the title of the thread.

Have you decided on which direction you are going with the armies?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:17 pm

tokle wrote:They are passable through the armies though, so I think it's still a valid idea.
How about calling them "trenches" rather than "trench warfare"?

Trenches sounds good. renamed.
tokle wrote:Love the map, by the way. Keep it up.

thank you. I think this not needs to be the final version, I am realy open to extra ideas. for example I have still quandary what about Battle sites as they were in previous version. hold them? kick them?
Dukasaur wrote:Also, during WWI Petersburg was renamed Petrograd. This is valid in both English and Russian.

renamed. also Vienna. thanks.
Dukasaur wrote:I would like to see a city in Belgium

me too. but there is realy not space.
Dukasaur wrote:and in general 2 or 3 more cities in Western Europe. I realize it is a crowded area and they will be hard to fit, but for historicity I think it's important to give weight to the economic importance of the industrialized West relative to the agricultural East.

will think about this. I can see 1 for France and maybe 1 for Germany...
Dukasaur wrote:If you could somehow squeeze in Montenegro I think that will give some historical feel, considering how amazing was the Montenegrin performance in the first year of WWI despite its tiny size and eventual doom. Again, I realize it's a crowded area, but I think with some twiddling it can be done.

Montenegro is in ;)
koontz1973 wrote:Have you decided on which direction you are going with the armies?

I found another possibility - I like it the most :)
Click image to enlarge.

thank you guys for advices.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War-January, 22, page 5, advices are welcome

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 pm

I like that idea. Clean and simple. One thing, it might be nice to see it in the legend as well to clear it all up for players.

Here is a sticky for you. But get that first post tidied up please. Oneyed, wit the new abandoned maps policy, are you ready for this to get stamped or would you like it here for a bit longer?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: The Great War-January, 22, page 5, advices are welcome

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 am

koontz1973 wrote:I like that idea. Clean and simple. One thing, it might be nice to see it in the legend as well to clear it all up for players.

thank you. yes I also thought about this and I found how to add this to legend.
koontz1973 wrote:Oneyed, wit the new abandoned maps policy, are you ready for this to get stamped or would you like it here for a bit longer?

as you can see I am not sure about Battle sites (for example). I need some more opinions and advices about this (and also more). because I want to do this map (as you and nobodies mentioned) very special. so this map could wait for a while here BUT it looks that Drafting Room is not visited too often and by much people. so moving this map could helps for more opinions and interest. I have no fear because new abandoned policy - this map will be finished ;) .

so if you also think that moving this one could helps, please move it. :)
btw, could you delete poll? thanks.

the main question is if go with Battle sites (version 02) or without Battle sites (version 01). do not look at worst graphics in the version 02 (I will change it if the decision will be that version 02 is better).

version 01
Click image to enlarge.

version 02
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War- update, January, 24, page 5

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

some last noticed added

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

Nice job.

I'm glad the Montenegrins got their country back...:)

Dijon and Munich are good choices for extra cities.

I like the armies facing each other. Originally I thought they should all be different, to reflect different war zones (machineguns in France, horses in Russia, and so on) but I think what you've done actually looks neater.

I was going to say that Constantinople should be Istanbul, but then I checked and that doesn't become official until 1930, so you're right again! :D

When I have more time I'll try to improve some of your English in the legend. Probably not this week, but it's probably not important until late in the process, anyway.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 am

Dukasaur wrote:Nice job.

Dukasaur wrote:I like the armies facing each other. Originally I thought they should all be different, to reflect different war zones (machineguns in France, horses in Russia, and so on) but I think what you've done actually looks neater.

"neater" is exact word for current version because I´ve tried different look of armies, but I do not like it:
Click image to enlarge.

Dukasaur wrote:When I have more time I'll try to improve some of your English in the legend. Probably not this week, but it's probably not important until late in the process, anyway.

looking forward. :) thanks for your input.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:52 am

Here you go Oneyed.
Good luck in the MF.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 am

thanks koontz :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:11 am

One suggestion I have about the armies is that you should try turning one of them on its axis, so that they face each other.
Major tokle

Postby Oneyed on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:04 am

tokle wrote:One suggestion I have about the armies is that you should try turning one of them on its axis, so that they face each other.

good point ;)

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War- update, January, 27, page 5

Postby Oneyed on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

new graphics, new fonts.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: The Great War- new graphics, January, 28, page 5

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am

Looks good, but I think your last version was actually better, IMO. Personally I liked the solid colors especially for the water, I also think the solid background made the legend text more legible. Although, I do think if you go back with the previous version the legends could use to be a little lighter in color.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry