[Vacation - valid untillJune 2014] Classic Cities: Cairo

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities: Cairo [4/1][V6][P1/3]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Seamus76 wrote:... as well as the top left legend.

actually....given this is the large, wouldn't it be better to have larger legend so it is easier to reduce to small and still be legibale in small....shortcut :idea:
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby jonofperu on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Didn't realize that was the government symbol, so it makes sense I guess. Only without knowing that it just looks like two versions of the same thing since both have/are minarets.

The lines look good now.
Major jonofperu

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (12)
Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:33 am

cairnswk wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:... as well as the top left legend.

actually....given this is the large, wouldn't it be better to have larger legend so it is easier to reduce to small and still be legibale in small....shortcut :idea:

Top left legend can be scaled down from what it is now and still be read in the small. Been down the small map/bad text road before so it is one of the things I automatically do now when choosing a text. But will make it larger though.
jonofperu wrote:Didn't realize that was the government symbol, so it makes sense I guess. Only without knowing that it just looks like two versions of the same thing since both have/are minarets.

The lines look good now.

Not sure if it is a government symbol. It came of the flag. The seal of the city also uses the same but with a sun in the background. One of the things Cairo is famous for is shopping.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 am

Next one. Fixes the legend issue pointed out by cairns.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Re: Classic Cities: Cairo [5/1][V6][P1/4]

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

Nice start on a Cairo map, but I feel like its missing some of the key elements that define Cairo when experiencing it in person. Maybe it's because I am a massive tourist, but I feel like a lot of the landmarks that made Cairo interesting are missing. A collection bonus is beginning to get cliché for city maps right now, but it is one possible route to go. I wish I could think of something more novel than a collection bonus, but that's all I got right now. Well, you could just put in little pictures indicating significant places and put in no bonus, just have them in there for decoration.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 am

Cheers IH, it is one of the things that keeps stopping me on this one. I really want to make it but I just cannot get the right angle on how to do it. I saw your old one and thought about that, tried to go like Madrid but stopped that so I am trying to go down the Coptic Cairo route right now.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:37 am

koontz1973 wrote:Cheers IH, it is one of the things that keeps stopping me on this one. I really want to make it but I just cannot get the right angle on how to do it. I saw your old one and thought about that, tried to go like Madrid but stopped that so I am trying to go down the Coptic Cairo route right now.

I wouldn't kill yourself too much on this one. The intrigue, novelty, and excitement will come from the conditional border gameplay. Just about everything else will be gravy, if you know what I mean, so don't let all the other stuff keep you from working on it.
ImageImageImage
Captain Seamus76
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer

Medals: 97
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (28) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (2)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 am

I am not, it is just that to work on a map, I need to believe in it. Right now, the GP is pretty freaking sweet and is going to blow players minds, but graphics, are just not going the way I want them to. I wanted similarities with Jakarta but better and that is not happening right now.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm

koontz1973 wrote:I am not, it is just that to work on a map, I need to believe in it. Right now, the GP is pretty freaking sweet and is going to blow players minds, but graphics, are just not going the way I want them to. I wanted similarities with Jakarta but better and that is not happening right now.

Certainly understandable. It will come though.
ImageImageImage
Captain Seamus76
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer

Medals: 97
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (28) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (2)

Re: Classic Cities: Cairo [20/1][V7][P1/4]

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 am

Completely new map.
Resized the playing board to give more room to the middle.
Territs (not sure if this has worked) are now walled.
Added the six buildings and winning condition to these. Added a +1 bonus for them.
Worked out the conditional borders, I think I have them optimised now.
Click image to enlarge.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby generalhead on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:21 am

Map is looking good. I like the raised earth affect.

Some of the water looks good, but then some of it looks like it has holes in it.

The raised earth under the water looks a little strange. I don't know if it would look good like the water or just not their

I think it would look good to have the edge of the water a little more pronounced.

I think the bridges look a little too plain and they look like the walls too much.

for the bridges it would be nice to see something completely different.

I see that you were trying to blend in the Cairo title, but I think it blends in too much. Maybe a little more color would look good.

I am not a big fan of the legend, it is a little too plain; here is something I came up with utilizing some Egypt coins.
You might not like it and it is not very good, but maybe it will give you some ideas.
show

I love inspirational pictures
show

show
Sergeant generalhead

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tournament Contribution (14) General Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 am

Cheers gh, still trying to find the right way forward with this one. Might take me a long time to find the right approach though. Jakarta took 3 months to find the right way forward, Mags took the same amount. Not in any rush with this one. Looked at the coins earlier and did not like them. Not liking the buildings this time around.

The problem I have gh, is I look for something new. This is not new. The only thing new about this map is the borders but graphically I need something to stimulate me and Cairo at the moment is not. But I will get their in the end. Any ideas on a style this should be in?
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby generalhead on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:29 am

koontz1973 wrote:Cheers gh, still trying to find the right way forward with this one. Might take me a long time to find the right approach though. Jakarta took 3 months to find the right way forward, Mags took the same amount. Not in any rush with this one. Looked at the coins earlier and did not like them. Not liking the buildings this time around.

The problem I have gh, is I look for something new. This is not new. The only thing new about this map is the borders but graphically I need something to stimulate me and Cairo at the moment is not. But I will get their in the end. Any ideas on a style this should be in?

San Mairno is about the only thing out there that I liken this too.
I think we can do way better that that though.
show

Here are a few map that will maybe spark some inspiration.
One of the city
show

I like the foreground on this one
show

another of the city
show

I liked the background on this map
show

The magnifying glass effect on this one was cool even though it is corny
show

another of the city with long and lat lines
show

Some of the colors on this one were cool
show

I know these might not help, but you never know what will set off that spark.
Sorry I don't have any more input.
Maybe make the map a little more simple; you might be trying to go to an extreme where sometimes simple is better.
It might help fill in the map to add some no play zones also.
Sergeant generalhead

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks for those gh.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby generalhead on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

This is just a thought and could be completely wrong.

I wonder if this game play would work better on a more creative map.
This being a Cairo I wonder if a more simple game play would work and open up more graphic options for you.
Is the game play holding you up from doing some thing different on this map?

I love the game play so I am not saying that. I am just asking if this is the map you want to use this awesome game play on
or should this map have a more simple game play and the uber conditional border game play could be used on a more creative map.

You could still have conditional borders on this, but maybe to just get in and out of the bonus regions.

A map like Vertex/ Austrum would have been a neat map for this game play (or some thing of that sorts).

Don't be mad at me.
Like I said I am probably wrong on this I just wanted to throw it out there.
Sergeant generalhead

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box