[Official] Germany Revamp

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update July 3 Pgs. 1&9 [Gp]

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 am

New update, got ed's color changes in this time:

Large:

Large w/ Army #'s:

Changes:
-Rearranged which continents have which colors so as to resemble the German flag: black at the top, red in the middle, and yellow at the bottom.
-Added a line under the word "Impassables".
-Edited borders/mountains so Leipzig connects to Magdeburg (this preserves the gameplay of the original map). This also gave a bit more room for the Leipzig army number.
-Put a few effects on the coat of arms and made the motto above it a bit more readable. I'm liking this a lot better now.

To-do:
-I'm not yet sure how much I like the new colors, though maybe I'm just not used to them yet. Comments on this would be appreciated, if there's no consensus I may put up a poll.
-Anything else?
Last edited by pepperonibread on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class pepperonibread

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/9 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby bob3603 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:30 pm

I like the colors better when you had them intermixed, I think it looks much better.
Colonel bob3603

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (8)

Postby edbeard on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 pm

I'd prefer the darker red on the left side so they all match up (or all the dark on the right side. don't matter)
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 pm

OOC - what does the motto mean?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:42 pm

The colours are really good; a nice homage to the flag which I'm sure will nevertheless be lost on most people ;-)

Your mountains are gorgeous... so nice that you could do with a couple more:
  • Add one to the left of the Freiburg/Karlsruhe border, or shift the left-most one up a few pixels
  • Add a small moutnain to the left of the Munster/Osnabruck range
  • Add another to the right of the Dresden/Berlin range
That should help to make it absolutely obvious that those regions don't border ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:22 pm

I always liked the original germany map, but this one is fantastic. This really blew me away when I saw it.

I tried to find something to comment about, but being unaware of German style/geography. I have nothing to nitpick. And even if I did know about germany, there is probably nothing I could find wrong with this map.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:41 am

I like the new continent color arrangement, but agree with Ed that putting all the bolder colors on one side may look better. On the other hand, it could make the map feel quite imbalanced - give it a try, and if it looks bad we'll tell you :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:04 pm

bob3603 wrote:I like the colors better when you had them intermixed, I think it looks much better.

Hmm, well I guess we'll see what others have to say, the new colors seem to be growing on me...

edbeard wrote:I'd prefer the darker red on the left side so they all match up (or all the dark on the right side. don't matter)

ZeakCytho wrote:I like the new continent color arrangement, but agree with Ed that putting all the bolder colors on one side may look better. On the other hand, it could make the map feel quite imbalanced - give it a try, and if it looks bad we'll tell you :)

I'll try this, though it may make the map feel imbalanced, like Zeak said. I actually arranged the colors how they are currently so they would balance out. I'll definitely see how it looks though.

yeti_c wrote:OOC - what does the motto mean?

C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany
"Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit"
"Unity and Justice and Freedom"

MrBenn wrote:The colours are really good; a nice homage to the flag which I'm sure will nevertheless be lost on most people ;-)

Your mountains are gorgeous... so nice that you could do with a couple more:

* Add one to the left of the Freiburg/Karlsruhe border, or shift the left-most one up a few pixels
* Add a small moutnain to the left of the Munster/Osnabruck range
* Add another to the right of the Dresden/Berlin range

That should help to make it absolutely obvious that those regions don't border ;-)

This all sounds good, expect to see it soon.

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I always liked the original germany map, but this one is fantastic. This really blew me away when I saw it.

I tried to find something to comment about, but being unaware of German style/geography. I have nothing to nitpick. And even if I did know about germany, there is probably nothing I could find wrong with this map.

Thanks, glad you like the map :D

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby laci_mae on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:22 pm

edbeard wrote:I'd prefer the darker red on the left side so they all match up (or all the dark on the right side. don't matter)

I actually think they'll look better as is, but giving us both options (as suggested above) would be optimal.

L
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby iancanton on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 pm

the latest mix of colours is the most successful yet, with a nice equilibrium between top and bottom, left and right regarding saturated and paler territories.

the motto over the eagle is hard to read and i think it spoils the latter when put in that position.

kiel still looks like it's on an island with denmark rather than being part of the mainland. since the water between kiel and lübeck is a canal, how about making it look artificial? try drawing the canal straight (alternatively in two straight sections with a kink in the middle) and narrow with constant width, maybe with blue instead of black borders.

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo101/symbols_hydro_e.php

the ideal is to have kiel appear as part of the mainland, with the canal clearly impassable but not sticking out like a sore thumb.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:47 am

Everything looks pretty sharp pep im impressed with your work (as usual). But I dont much like the mountains, there style is a little more Cartoon like that this map demands.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: [Official] Germany REVAMP - New Update 7/10 Pg. 10 [Gp]

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:05 am

gimil wrote:Everything looks pretty sharp pep im impressed with your work (as usual). But I dont much like the mountains, there style is a little more Cartoon like that this map demands.

I don't really dislike the mountains as they are now, but I don't love them either. Experimenting with more styles could be good.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:11 pm

iancanton wrote:the latest mix of colours is the most successful yet, with a nice equilibrium between top and bottom, left and right regarding saturated and paler territories.

the motto over the eagle is hard to read and i think it spoils the latter when put in that position.

kiel still looks like it's on an island with denmark rather than being part of the mainland. since the water between kiel and lübeck is a canal, how about making it look artificial? try drawing the canal straight (alternatively in two straight sections with a kink in the middle) and narrow with constant width, maybe with blue instead of black borders.

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca/topo101/symbols_hydro_e.php

the ideal is to have kiel appear as part of the mainland, with the canal clearly impassable but not sticking out like a sore thumb.

ian. :)

I'd think making the canal straight might make it stick out more, as it would be different from all the other borders. I'll give it a try though. The rest of your comments sound good, I'll continue to experiment with that motto and coat of arms.

ZeakCytho wrote:
gimil wrote:Everything looks pretty sharp pep im impressed with your work (as usual). But I dont much like the mountains, there style is a little more Cartoon like that this map demands.

I don't really dislike the mountains as they are now, but I don't love them either. Experimenting with more styles could be good.

Ok, I'll try some filters and other stuff on them soon, I'd rather not change their basic look too much, but maybe I could tone down the cartoon aspect.

Sorry for the late response guys. I somehow managed to forget about my map yesterday... :D :roll:

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Click image to enlarge.

If you want to make Kiel look less than an island...

Then remove the river/canal from the lower connections - and just have it running down to the right and then fizzling out (as it does already)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

If you want to make Kiel look less than an island...

Then remove the river/canal from the lower connections - and just have it running down to the right and then fizzling out (as it does already)

C.

Wow, odd nobody thought of this... the current arrangement was used I believe because the nearly vertical part is a canal, while the rest is a river. This solution works fine though, I don't think anyone would object to erasing that part as it doesn't actually block any attacks.
Thanks yeti.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas