Conquer Club

Tournament Maps

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is this a good idea?

Total votes : 0

Tournament Maps

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:44 am

I guess I'll have a little time over the Christmas Break so if there's sufficient interest I might try to piece together one or several tournament maps depending on how many players there would be in the game.

I'm thinking of something medium sized between 36 and 48 territories, the continents would all be identical with regards to number of territories and borders. The maps would probably be very schematic.

Why do something that boring? Because it hasn't been done before on this site and since there wouldn't be any "great" continents to start with luck would play an extremely small role in the initial deployment. That's why I'm calling them tournament maps, noone would really be better off than the others so they would be ideal for tournaments where skill is supposed to be the only big factor.

So what do you say? Could this be worth a try?
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Newcastle on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:48 am

i like it! i'm suprised no one have talked about it before! what places did you have in mind?
Cook Newcastle

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:25 pm

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 41&start=0

^^ Like this? I Dont think its a good idea. People voted no to that map... they can be voting yes to the idea now, but will they still vote yes if your map becomes something alike to it? Is there a country or region, or city you can use to increase interest? Just squares, it would be boring.

Anyway, why equal continents would create games based on skill, if the games still have a random initial deployment, dice and cards? Skill? Skill is nothing compared to my dice, mate.
Major Marvaddin

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:56 am

I wasn't thinking of any particular geographic place to use, although it's always possible to take one and "modify" the borders. Maybe nicer colours would have made people like that other map better. Crosswords is also just squares.

And as for why equal continents even the playing field, I'm leaning towards continents of either 5 or probably 6 territories and 3 or at most 4 borders. It's highly unlikely that one starts out with a complete 6 territories continent. In almost 100 games I ONCE had 5 of my initial territories in Europe (classic map). By contrast, I've at least twice gotten an additional 2 armies on my first turn because I held a 4 territories continent.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Return to Foundry Discussions