Conquer Club

Macedonian map?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Macedonian map?

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:03 pm

dear members,i saw that there exists a map with the name "Macedonia" ,which shows the skopje (or FYROM)...
also its a shame for the site to have a selection for the member's coutry,called "Macedonia"

i want to ask if there is someone from the site in charge for those kind of topics
Last edited by oneEyedOldMan on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Re: Macedonian map?

Postby benga on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

oneEyedOldMan wrote:dear members,i saw that there exists a map with the name "Macedonia" ,which shows the skopje (or FYROM)...

i want to ask if there is someone from the site in charge for those kind of topics

yes there is a country called Macedonia!
don't even start
Sergeant benga

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 pm

benga wrote:
oneEyedOldMan wrote:dear members,i saw that there exists a map with the name "Macedonia" ,which shows the skopje (or FYROM)...

yes there is a country called Macedonia!
don't even start

i will ask for you to double check this,and see the united nation negotiations...anyway,i want someone whose in charge of the site to take place on this
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Perhaps you could outline in more detail the nature of your complaint/concern?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:18 pm

MrBenn wrote:Perhaps you could outline in more detail the nature of your complaint/concern?

the nature of my concern is the illegal use of the name macedonia while the oficial name of this country is still F.Y.R.O.M.
that problem keeps spreading out on the internet and in the common life,and its a rape of the greek history

i would be gratfull if the moderators discuss about this issue which is very sensitive.
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby benga on Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:31 am

oneEyedOldMan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Perhaps you could outline in more detail the nature of your complaint/concern?

the nature of my concern is the illegal use of the name macedonia while the oficial name of this country is still F.Y.R.O.M.
that problem keeps spreading out on the internet and in the common life,and its a rape of the greek history

i would be gratfull if the moderators discuss about this issue which is very sensitive.

The offical name is The Republic of Macedonia.

Unless Greece changes name to Ancient Greece
your concern has no point in any sense.
Sergeant benga

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 am

benga wrote:
oneEyedOldMan wrote:

The offical name is The Republic of Macedonia.

Unless Greece changes name to Ancient Greece
your concern has no point in any sense.

you dont have idea what you are talking about,correct? :? ...
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby jigger1986 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 am

While you are at it, please change the Doodle Earth map to more accuately reflect Canadian borders. Canada covers the NORTHERN parts of North America, not the western half.

Thanks
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:01 am

jigger1986 wrote:While you are at it, please change the Doodle Earth map to more accuately reflect Canadian borders. Canada covers the NORTHERN parts of North America, not the western half.

Thanks

"doodle earth" is an imaginery map,and if someone say that "Macedonia" is also imaginery i ll accept it....but there is also the selection "Macedonia" for player's country
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby The Bison King on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:06 am

Please explain yourself better before you decide to get all offended.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:08 am

The Bison King wrote:Please explain yourself better before you decide to get all offended.

i explained earlier in the same topic
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby The Bison King on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:12 pm

oneEyedOldMan wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Please explain yourself better before you decide to get all offended.

i explained earlier in the same topic

Ok I read up on the situation...

get over it, it's just a name.

The maps creator was from the Republic of Macedonia, and he has every right to call the map whatever he wants. If this offends you I'm sorry, but this is your problem and not ours. If you have to take it up with someone take it up with him.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:23 pm

This is undoubtedly the most ridiculous map complaint I have ever read.

We have a map of Macedonia but we shouldn't call it Macedonia? Oh please.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 pm

you dont have a map of macedonia,you have a map of F.Y.R.O.M.,thats the international name of the country.and also you use a selection macedonia for player's country.

that thing insults all the greek players in the game...
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Oh really? There are 105 greek players on this site. Why are you the only one throwing a hissy fit about it? I think Macedonians should have the right to decide what to call their country. The guy who made the map was a Macedonian, FYI. If calling his country Macedonia was an issue for Macedonians I doubt he would have named the map as such.

If the map had a subtitle like "Macedonia - the land of impotent donkeyhumpers" then I could understand you getting upset. But you're actually upset over it being called Macedonia. :roll:

Everyone knows what Macedonia is. No one knows or cares what is "FYROM". So when we have a map featuring a geographical area that most people know as "Macedonia" it makes a lot of sense to name that map "Macedonia", if you really really think about it.

Really, the only way you could get offended by it is that you are actually looking to get offended by something...

Something interesting:

The red countries are the only ones using the term "FYROM".

To me, it seems this whole "FYROM" thing is just Greece acting like an asshole of a country. Get over it, Greeks. Deal with your crappy economy before you try to go renaming other countries.

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:38 pm

oneEyedOldMan wrote:

oneEyedOldMan,

Many thanks for adding some clarity regarding your concern.

Maps on this site are community-developed. The mapmaking process is an arduous and lengthy one - and during map development, authors are expected to respond to concerns that the community raise. During the six months or so that the Macedonia map was in development (as far as I recall), nobody raised concerns about the naming of the map, and there was therefore no discussion regarding it. There are many areas of the world where political boundaries and region names are under dispute, and cartography (both int he real-world and for online world-domination games) can be fraught with controversy.

Had any objection to the map name been raised whilst the map was in development, then the author would have been expected to respond to these concerns. However, now that the map has been completed it falls to me (as Foundry Foreman) to act as an arbiter, and to decide whether the mapmaker should be asked to make any changes.

While you are correct in stating that "Macedonia" is not an officially recognised country, as far as i can discern, FYROM was only a provisional name that has generally been superceded by The Republic of Macedonia. While I am aware that there are political sensitivities to consider, map titles are usually designated to help people find any given map, and in this instance, I believe that "Macedonia" is more user-friendly than "Republic of..." or "Former Yugoslav...". I have duly noted your opinion, and will bear it in mind should there be further concerns raised with this regard.

I would warmly encourage you to lend your support to other maps that are currently in development, and can but apologise for the hostility that other members of the community have shown you.

--MrBenn
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:03 pm

MrBenn i understand your position,and i dont expect to change the names.
i had to say those things that bothered me,and i thank you for your reply

natty_dread,by saying that no one knows about the F.Y.R.O.M. problem you expose yourself.
it is very funny to talk about our "shitty" economy while the economy in finland has completely broke down...
i forgot to mention that all the people in finland are russian slaves,and the territory of finland is russian...
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 pm

oneEyedOldMan wrote:natty_dread,by saying that no one knows about the F.Y.R.O.M. problem you expose yourself.
it is very funny to talk about our "shitty" economy while the economy in finland has completely broke down...
i forgot to mention that all the people in finland are russian slaves,and the territory of finland is russian...

Wow, you are really clueless. Don't talk about things you don't know shit about. :-$

Funny that you talk about how "offending" you find a map called Macedonia, and then you yourself throw slander like that to other nations. An analogy of pots and kettles comes to mind... :roll:

Postby oneEyedOldMan on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm

natty_dread wrote:
oneEyedOldMan wrote:natty_dread,by saying that no one knows about the F.Y.R.O.M. problem you expose yourself.

Wow, you are really clueless. Don't talk about things you don't know shit about. :-$

Funny that you talk about how "offending" you find a map called Macedonia, and then you yourself throw slander like that to other nations. An analogy of pots and kettles comes to mind... :roll:

i offended your country because i report your post but rdsrds2120 told me he cant do something,because you didnt offend me but my country which is allowed...you can see in previous posts who is the clueless,when i spoke you really nice and you were throwing insults...

if you like funny things read this.you wrote me "Don't talk about things you don't know shit about.".you did the same when you wrote "Everyone knows what Macedonia is. No one knows or cares what is "FYROM""

i dont know how old are you (maybe not even 10) but i will not bother further talking to you
Corporal oneEyedOldMan

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Natty, oneeyeyedoldman, lets keep the personal attacks and flaming out of here. No one particularly wants to hear about the economies of your respective nations and/or related discussion data. ;)

=============================

MrBenn's response spot on. If someone had brought up an issue with the name during the development process of the map, it would have been addressed and responded to in some fashion. For now, Benn and the Foundry have noted the issue position. :)

--Andy

Postby koul on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:49 pm

hi i want to put my opinion in this i m greek like one eye and i think that the name of this map is not the desirable its not the official name of this country as you know the name is still F Y R O M so please you have to be more carefull in national issues like this (hot potato)
Major koul

Postby psaxnoulis on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 am

By the way, once we talk about maps, here's one from the UN site: (http://www.un.org -> http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/easteuro.pdf). And here's the member states: http://www.un.org/en/members/index.shtml
Major psaxnoulis

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 pm

psaxnoulis wrote:By the way, once we talk about maps, here's one from the UN site: (http://www.un.org -> http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/easteuro.pdf). And here's the member states: http://www.un.org/en/members/index.shtml

UN wrote:The boundaries and names shown and the designations
used on this map do not imply official endorsement or
acceptance by the United Nations.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Right. There are probably literally tons of people who dislike the naming of something geographic---here on Conquer Club or in the real world. There are probably some Irish who dislike being lumped in to the 'British Isles' map.

Or on the 'Europe' map where certain areas are highlighted over others, like Belgium over the Netherlands. No one is out to get Ireland, or the Netherlands, the naming conventions were chosen mostly for clarity and ease of use.

--Andy

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions