Conquer Club

Beta Bounty!

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Beta Bounty!

Postby basic_man2010_20 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:49 pm

1818 currently active and or finished....time to drop all my games waiting for players and join all the ones waiting for players.
Cook basic_man2010_20

Postby Rodion on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:
About status and profession, as I said before, I didn't do this to get premium myself. I'm just waiting for Mr. Benn to confirm which game is the rightful 1885 one so I can invite fremiums and give them the chance. About rank, and this I found particularly odd and interesting, do you really think high brigs/low generals have a specific behavioral tendency? What would that be?

Let me know if you want to change your line-up.

OK, so it could be said you are using your privileges to gain an advantage for another (of your choosing). Whichever way you splice it it's still a dubious tactic imo. It will be interesting to see which game does end up being #1885. Hopefully you'll have wasted your time ;)

Re rank - Yes I expect every player who has attained a certain level to be a custodian of the site and set a good example to others. It probably explains why I get pissy at farmers who, for selfish means, besmirch the reputation of many high-rankers who have tried hard to play well and play the game fairly.

Re line-up - Thanks. We'll see if any of the four of us are going to sit it out and I'll let you know who to invite in his place (I'm guessing you can't give out the p/w for fear we'd join all your games!)

Re rank - I was just curious to see if you thought there was a relation of causality between (game) success and a certain chivalrous behavior. I've seen instances of (surprisingly, knowledgeable) people thinking that.

Re line-up - that would be a helluva prank! - :lol: - Fact is, though, the password was intended to be so hard to guess that I wouldn't even remember it. I don't.
General Rodion

Postby Rodion on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:10 am

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=8614797 - I believe this is now the 1885th game.
General Rodion

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Is it the winner of the 1,885th game created, or the winner of the 1,885th game completed? It wasn't really clear and of course there's a world of difference.
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Leehar on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:Is it the winner of the 1,885th game created, or the winner of the 1,885th game completed? It wasn't really clear and of course there's a world of difference.

Created I would assume, I'd think finding the 1885th completed would be a much harder task involving looking at game logs while created is just using game finder to find relevant games on the maps? (and Page 37?)
And obviously it'd become more complex with completed games and people delaying games and what-not if need be.
So it'd basically be a pretty depressing endeavor which I doubt anyone would want to get into..
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Not really mate. Using Game Finder the same way as you've suggested, one only has to click the 'Finished' box to bring up the results. And the 1,885th completed game of either of these two maps would be on p.19 (100 games per page).

This would create a rather competitive, even fun, situation whereby teams may want to hurry or slow down their game depending on where it might fall. Certainly beats just awarding it to the 1,885th game created which could be won either through luck or through devious block booking of games.
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:24 pm

I think it means finished, but I'm not sure.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Rodion on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Leehar wrote:
Chariot of Fire wrote:Is it the winner of the 1,885th game created, or the winner of the 1,885th game completed? It wasn't really clear and of course there's a world of difference.

Created I would assume, I'd think finding the 1885th completed would be a much harder task involving looking at game logs while created is just using game finder to find relevant games on the maps? (and Page 37?)
And obviously it'd become more complex with completed games and people delaying games and what-not if need be.
So it'd basically be a pretty depressing endeavor which I doubt anyone would want to get into..

Page 19, I think. I just looked for the 16th game from bottom to top of that page and found the one I posted.

Chariot of Fire wrote:Not really mate. Using Game Finder the same way as you've suggested, one only has to click the 'Finished' box to bring up the results. And the 1,885th completed game of either of these two maps would be on p.19 (100 games per page).

This would create a rather competitive, even fun, situation whereby teams may want to hurry or slow down their game depending on where it might fall. Certainly beats just awarding it to the 1,885th game created which could be won either through luck or through devious block booking of games.

That could also lead to some people holding players hostage (http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=rules), a forbidden practice.

And the finished box thing is troublesome, if I'm correct as to how it works. By marking finished games and searching, they will order games by the game number (and not finish date), right? That would not be a problem if the moderator responsible for this promotion was diligent, but, as you can see, he's not: this thread was forsaken by him for more than 20 days.
General Rodion

Postby Leehar on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:Not really mate. Using Game Finder the same way as you've suggested, one only has to click the 'Finished' box to bring up the results. And the 1,885th completed game of either of these two maps would be on p.19 (100 games per page).

Sorry yeah, made my rough estimation on 50 games per page.
But Rodion does make the valid point that Finished Games (and others) sort by initialization, and not completion dates if I see it correctly
Rodion wrote:That would not be a problem if the moderator responsible for this promotion was diligent, but, as you can see, he's not: this thread was forsaken by him for more than 20 days.
Lol, nice and subtle stab, I like :lol:
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm

My heart bleeds...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Chariot of Fire on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I lolled at that last comment too. Nice one.

tbh I don't really care - just thought it needed clarifying. Rodion has a point though re hostage situation (though it's unlikely and even then there's no g'tee it will work). Sounds a bit like a daft Gilgamesh game I was in just recently ;-)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Rodion on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:I lolled at that last comment too. Nice one.

tbh I don't really care - just thought it needed clarifying. Rodion has a point though re hostage situation (though it's unlikely and even then there's no g'tee it will work). Sounds a bit like a daft Gilgamesh game I was in just recently ;-)

Nice game, that one! :D

It took a lot of patience and self control on our side to play as cautiously as we did, but we didn't want to run unnecessary risks.

The comment you referred to was not bad in itself, but I find it startling that the mod responsible for the topic outright ignored the myriad of community's questions and appeared with the simple purpose of being a smartass. :roll:
General Rodion

Postby Riskismy on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Rodion wrote:The comment you referred to was not bad in itself, but I find it startling that the mod responsible for the topic outright ignored the myriad of community's questions and appeared with the simple purpose of being a smartass. :roll:

Oh good. It wasn't just me.

I guess mods are human too. Surprising as it is :?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby MrBenn on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I was't simply being a smartass - I've been trying to see if there's an easy way to identify which the 1885th completed game was... After my post yesterday I got sidetracked into a discussion about a possible new Draknor map, and various ways of using existing xml for new types of gameplay. I was speaking to lackattack earlier this evening, and got sidetracked into a discussion about a possible new xml update, and forgot to ask him the killer question - which I shall now pose:

Here is the list of completed games on the Middle Ages and South Africa 1885 maps: http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&gs=F&mp=180,181. Is it possible to sort the results in order of when the games were completed?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:04 pm

You might ask the author of BOB to cobble together a variant of the Elimination Summary to find all the "playerx won the game" log entries across all the games in question, which could then be enumerated.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:03 am

ender516 wrote:You might ask the author of BOB to cobble together a variant of the Elimination Summary to find all the "playerx won the game" log entries across all the games in question, which could then be enumerated.

I've found a similar but quicker/simpler way ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:47 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
ender516 wrote:You might ask the author of BOB to cobble together a variant of the Elimination Summary to find all the "playerx won the game" log entries across all the games in question, which could then be enumerated.

I've found a similar but quicker/simpler way ;)

Care to share it with us?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

Sure :)

Essentially the CC API give us all the informations we need. Just import that data (you certainly know it's something really easy to do) with an ordinary software like MS Excel then sort out data using filters (another easy thing to do). Like you said, the key is the time stamp number associated with the won the game event ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks to thenobodies80 for doing some data processing, the 1885th winner on either of the Middle Ages or South Africa 1885 maps is the winner of Game 8662877, Estebanopart

(for anybody who cares to see the data, there's a summary of it here: http://www.wcforums.org/foundry/BetaBounty/BetaBounty.html)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Estebanopart on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Hooray! Thank you kind sir!
Captain Estebanopart

Postby Rodion on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 pm

Estebanopart wrote:Hooray! Thank you kind sir!

Congratulations! =D>

I'm interested in seeing Draknor - Level 2 map, by the way.
General Rodion

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

MrBenn wrote:Thanks to thenobodies80 for doing some data processing, the 1885th winner on either of the Middle Ages or South Africa 1885 maps is the winner of Game 8662877, Estebanopart

(for anybody who cares to see the data, there's a summary of it here: http://www.wcforums.org/foundry/BetaBounty/BetaBounty.html)

*chuckles* The crossword site...

Congrats Estebanopart!!!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions