Conquer Club

Can map picutres be Animated GIFS?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Can map picutres be Animated GIFS?

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:43 pm

What type of files can maps be? If I look at the folder that contains all of the current maps, the actual maps are .jpg and the thumbnails are .png. Is there any way to use animated gifs?

By using animated gifs, water on maps could move and clouds in the sky could blow around.

You could have flashing arrows pointing out attack routes and such.

Is this possible?
Major WidowMakers

Re: Can map picutres be Animated GIFS?

Postby Wisse on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:23 pm

WidowMakers wrote:What type of files can maps be? If I look at the folder that contains all of the current maps, the actual maps are .jpg and the thumbnails are .png. Is there any way to use animated gifs?

By using animated gifs, water on maps could move and clouds in the sky could blow around.

Is this possible?

that would be irritating, and lagging for slowly computers i won't play one of these maps
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:28 pm

Wisse wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:What type of files can maps be? If I look at the folder that contains all of the current maps, the actual maps are .jpg and the thumbnails are .png. Is there any way to use animated gifs?

Is this possible?

that would be irritating, and lagging for slowly computers i won't play one of these maps

it would be great but only if there would be an option to switch them on/off.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:33 pm

From the Official How to Make A Map thread:
Step 2). Image Creation——Create a visual layout of the map. Include a working legend with speculative bonuses, tentative border divisions, names, barriers, colors and textures, aesthetic images (I.E. compasses, picture designs, etc), and background image (I.E. ocean or something to discriminate the playing field). A map should be ‘inherently unique either in gameplay, location, or style’ . Maps that aren't just the same tried and true formula from the Classic Map disguised will be more successful. Host the image using Photobucket.com or something similar. The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG. You must design two versions of the map: a small (up to 600 px wide), and a large (up to 800 px wide). Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed 350 px on small maps and 600 px on large maps so that users will not need to scroll down to attack.

So yes it's possible and something I'd like to see done if it's done tastefully and doesn't create too much of a distraction. I think you're one of the few people that could pull it off WidowMakers.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Coleman on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:18 pm

DiM wrote:
Wisse wrote:that would be irritating, and lagging for slowly computers i won't play one of these maps

I remember that you can right click on and stop an animated gif from moving somehow, but I don't remember exactly what it is.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Wisse on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Coleman wrote:
DiM wrote:
Wisse wrote:that would be irritating, and lagging for slowly computers i won't play one of these maps

I remember that you can right click on and stop an animated gif from moving somehow, but I don't remember exactly what it is.

thats a flash movie not a .gif movie
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Coleman wrote:
DiM wrote:

yes it is possible to right click and stop the animation but it would be a bitch to do this to 10-15 animations every time you refresh the page.

and not to start another thread i post here my question?

is it possible do do a rotating map?? i was thinking of a 3D earth which you could rotate.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:32 pm

Could you make the "small" image flat - and the "large" image with motion?

C.

PS DiM - technically a hijack there but - no it wouldn't work the co-ords of the armies are fixed thus the rotation would leave the armies behind.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby rebelman on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:08 am

Is this possible?

yep and the first one has just been quenched, you may have noticed the thread :lol:
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Keredrex on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:17 am

would it be possible for weather conditions that give a "FOG OF WAR" effect where clouds roll in and cover the numbers of armies?

basically can it be set to animate VERY slowly like once in a 24 hr period?
and can it cover the army numbers?
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby gimil on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 am

Keredrex wrote:would it be possible for weather conditions that give a "FOG OF WAR" effect where clouds roll in and cover the numbers of armies?

This is a rather good idea. Although i dont think this is a cartograpy hing. More a game engine change. I would advise suggesting it in suggestions and big reports.

If you PM i could wipe up a quick draft for you to post with.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:54 pm

Keredrex wrote:would it be possible for weather conditions that give a "FOG OF WAR" effect where clouds roll in and cover the numbers of armies?

This would not be part of the map because the army numbers are put right over the .gif image. the cloud would go under the number
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Keredrex on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:32 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:This would not be part of the map because the army numbers are put right over the .gif image. the cloud would go under the number

Is it possible to have a 3rd layer? a layer that is transparent except for animated weather

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Keredrex wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:This would not be part of the map because the army numbers are put right over the .gif image. the cloud would go under the number

Is it possible to have a 3rd layer? a layer that is transparent except for animated weather

IDK, im just syaing that suggestions would be a better place for that, cause its not actually part of the map/
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Keredrex on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:IDK, im just syaing that suggestions would be a better place for that, cause its not actually part of the map/

Yes it is...During map making if you now have the possibility of animated maps and an animated weather system above it all you need to plan for it during creation.... the map maker will need to make the 3rd layer weather pattern to fit his map.... It has to be custom to the map just like XML numbers & army circles...So technically yes it needs to be in both forums

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:09 am

Keredrex wrote:

Yes... But Lack would have to code it in...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Return to Foundry Discussions