Negative Comments

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Negative Comments

Postby RjBeals on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 pm

yeah - those images are gone. That mountain tutorial no longer exists.
Image
User avatar
Private RjBeals
 
Posts: 2507
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Coleman wrote:If there was a really good gimp (or other free artwork tool) tutorial


I've written a basic GIMP mapmaking tutorial... It's a work in progress, but the 2 first parts are done, and I'll be continuing it when I have some time...

part 1
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=140723

part 2a
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=141577

I know at least 2 new mapmakers who are currently in the main foundry and have utilized this tutorial... so it's at least somewhat helped people I guess?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13324
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: just plain fucked
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm

DiM wrote:
Coleman wrote:

so you can go ahead and tell natty that korea is dark but i think he's already working on the colours. :)


I am
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13324
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: just plain fucked
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby Telvannia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:49 am

I personally would prefer people to say that they dont like a map, rather than sitting around waiting for comments, as without comments the map wont go anywhere.

As for giving feedback, if i have a problem with a map i always try to give a suggestion on how to improve something if im going to comment, otherwise the map maker cannot actually improve anything and so my comments have been pretty much pointless. And always try and be slightly encouraging.

Timing: i reckon it is never to late to raise a concern, providing you are reasonable about it, and once again give suggestions on how to improve, rocking up in a beta thread and saying "this maps sucks, i cant read it, and it looks horrible" is not really going to help anything, apart from maybe the map makers foe list grow.
But generally i dont like posting in a topic if i have not read most of it, as it helps no-one to drag things up things that were discussed and decided on on page 2, although i would hope that if i did the map maker would be mature enough to just tell me it had been discussed point it out and then move on...


Oh and always include at least 1 smiley to give the map maker an idea of the mood you are in when posting so they know how seriously to take your post. ;)
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:19 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby ender516 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Telvannia wrote:Oh and always include at least 1 smiley to give the map maker an idea of the mood you are in when posting so they know how seriously to take your post. ;)

When you put that wry winking smiley in your post, I don't know how seriously to take your post.
:-k :-s
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
 
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:07 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am

natty_dread wrote:
Coleman wrote:If there was a really good gimp (or other free artwork tool) tutorial


I've written a basic GIMP mapmaking tutorial... It's a work in progress, but the 2 first parts are done, and I'll be continuing it when I have some time...

part 1
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=140723

part 2a
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=141577

I know at least 2 new mapmakers who are currently in the main foundry and have utilized this tutorial... so it's at least somewhat helped people I guess?


I am one of them.

The tutorial is a great starting point, but it is unfinished and needs to be finished. It would be good if natty gets this done with the finished map being in live play though.

As for negative comments, ignore them unless they come with good advice, no matter how late in the game they come.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
 
Posts: 7538
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am
Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:52 pm

DiM wrote:it all depends on the situation and the comment. i've received comments like: "this map sucks" or "this looks horrible"
such comments are bad. even if my map did suck or looked horrible, those comments did not help me to make it better.
however a negative comment can still be constructive even if it bothers the mapmaker. saying "this map sucks because of this and that and you can change it here and here" will still hurt some feelings but it will also provide some constructive feedback.

i'm the type of person that truthfully speaks his own mind. if i think a map sucks and that it looks horrible then that's just what i'll say. but i will always explain what exactly sucks and even provide suggestions on how it could be improved.
i realise such comments can be regarded as negative and many people hate me for this but i'm a firm believer that nobody should hide their feelings and even more they should never keep quiet just to avoid upsetting somebody.


all your maps suck and look horrible, the only exception is the emperors clothes map, which never even made it to final forge tho.
Click image to enlarge.
image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (4)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:02 pm

zimmah wrote:all your maps suck and look horrible, the only exception is the emperors clothes map, which never even made it to final forge tho.


and that's only the fault of the CAs. they saw what a great map that is and being envious of my greatest creation they started to sabotage me. :lol:

i'll ask mibi if he wants it exclusively for major command. :P
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10554
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:08 am

I am another one guilty of not always saying what I think in a map thread. Many times I find myself in a map thread with a long list of issues but struggle to actually say what I want to say. I don't tend to have a problem with what people think of me after I leave negative feedback on a map, because I always make sure what I say is constructive and honest. But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:10 am

gimil wrote:I am another one guilty of not always saying what I think in a map thread. Many times I find myself in a map thread with a long list of issues but struggle to actually say what I want to say. I don't tend to have a problem with what people think of me after I leave negative feedback on a map, because I always make sure what I say is constructive and honest. But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:14 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:I am another one guilty of not always saying what I think in a map thread. Many times I find myself in a map thread with a long list of issues but struggle to actually say what I want to say. I don't tend to have a problem with what people think of me after I leave negative feedback on a map, because I always make sure what I say is constructive and honest. But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.

-Sully


Yeah, sometimes I make an effort not to do it. But sometimes I don't. Like just now I wrote 2 paragraphs on a map and decided it wasn't worth posting :-$
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 am

gimil wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:I am another one guilty of not always saying what I think in a map thread. Many times I find myself in a map thread with a long list of issues but struggle to actually say what I want to say. I don't tend to have a problem with what people think of me after I leave negative feedback on a map, because I always make sure what I say is constructive and honest. But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.

-Sully


Yeah, sometimes I make an effort not to do it. But sometimes I don't. Like just now I wrote 2 paragraphs on a map and decided it wasn't worth posting :-$

:-s :-k

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby DiM on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:04 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.



uuuu.. i just feel like smacking both in the back of your heads. why in the world would you guys do that?
it's like hooking up with a woman, flirting with her all night, kissing her, caressing her, getting all her clothes off, then leaving the room and going to play WoW. :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10554
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:49 pm

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.



uuuu.. i just feel like smacking both in the back of your heads. why in the world would you guys do that?
it's like hooking up with a woman, flirting with her all night, kissing her, caressing her, getting all her clothes off, then leaving the room and going to play WoW. :lol:


So what you are telling me, is that giving negative comments on CC, is sort of like playing with girls. :-|

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't get aroused in the build up to pushing the 'post' button. :P
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby DiM on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:56 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.



uuuu.. i just feel like smacking both in the back of your heads. why in the world would you guys do that?
it's like hooking up with a woman, flirting with her all night, kissing her, caressing her, getting all her clothes off, then leaving the room and going to play WoW. :lol:


So what you are telling me, is that giving negative comments on CC, is sort of like playing with girls. :-|

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't get aroused in the build up to pushing the 'post' button. :P


when i post in the foundry i always do it naked. i'm not the only one am i? 8-[
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10554
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm

DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.



uuuu.. i just feel like smacking both in the back of your heads. why in the world would you guys do that?
it's like hooking up with a woman, flirting with her all night, kissing her, caressing her, getting all her clothes off, then leaving the room and going to play WoW. :lol:


So what you are telling me, is that giving negative comments on CC, is sort of like playing with girls. :-|

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't get aroused in the build up to pushing the 'post' button. :P


when i post in the foundry i always do it naked. i'm not the only one am i? 8-[


Not usually, but if your passionate about it, it would be criminal not to try!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Negative Comments

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 am

DiM wrote:
gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
gimil wrote:But does anyone else ever write half a page of feedback then for no constructive reason, do not feel like it is worth posting?

It happens to me sometimes, I'll admit. I know what you mean.



uuuu.. i just feel like smacking both in the back of your heads. why in the world would you guys do that?
it's like hooking up with a woman, flirting with her all night, kissing her, caressing her, getting all her clothes off, then leaving the room and going to play WoW. :lol:


So what you are telling me, is that giving negative comments on CC, is sort of like playing with girls. :-|

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't get aroused in the build up to pushing the 'post' button. :P


when i post in the foundry i always do it naked. i'm not the only one am i? 8-[


I post everywhere naked.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13324
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: just plain fucked
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login