Conquer Club

VictoryUnited.com

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

VictoryUnited.com

Postby Vlasov on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 am

I recently stumbled across this certain website [ http://www.victorsunited.com ] and found many maps which are VERY similar to CC maps, along with others that are not. Is this a case of borrowing, stealing, or merely cross-fertilization of map ideas?
Private 1st Class Vlasov

Re: VictoryUnited.com

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 am

that's yet another site where the admin stole maps from CC. he has no regard for the copyright as he uses names like westeros, star trek or lotr.the graphics are pure shit and the site has just a handful of people.

however i can't help notice the interface and game possibilities are light years in front of CC :(
more and more online risk games appear and all of them use better tech. while CC is still holding strong i guess it's just a matter of time before some other site will become better and have a larger community. unless lack wises up and hires some decent programmers.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:08 pm

DiM wrote:that's yet another site where the admin stole maps from CC. he has no regard for the copyright as he uses names like westeros, star trek or lotr.the graphics are pure shit and the site has just a handful of people.

To me it just solidifies the fact we have the best maps in the market. Although all our best vets went off to major command. Shame. We shall just have to train some new vets!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Looked at both of these sites mention, and on both, the maps are pretty awful. DiM says there are extras on the first one which might be nice to have. Amazing how many maps look like ours though. :lol:

If our best left for MC, then I am glad they went. They look as if they got lazy (admit I only looked at the small images in the join a game screen). We have lots of talented map makers here. Just cannot think of any. :P

:lol:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 pm

koontz1973 wrote:DiM says there are extras on the first one which might be nice to have.

when i talked about extra things i didn't mean maps i meant a flash based interface instead of the crappy outdated one CC has.

imagine making your map any shape or size you want and being able to zoom in/out. imagine not having to bother with cramped text in the legend like you do now because with flash you could simply make the legend 1 click away and it nicely slides from one side then you can close it back.
imagine high quality animations instead of the crappy gifs we can now make. imagine you can actually see terits that highlight when you click them and armies that explode when conquered, imagine having real 3d maps that can be rotated. all this can be done with flash.

even if they aren't implemented other sites have the possibility of adding all those features. CC doesn't.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:34 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:that's yet another site where the admin stole maps from CC. he has no regard for the copyright as he uses names like westeros, star trek or lotr.the graphics are pure shit and the site has just a handful of people.

To me it just solidifies the fact we have the best maps in the market. Although all our best vets went off to major command. Shame. We shall just have to train some new vets!

true, CC still has the best maps but that's only because it's been around for a long time. this will change in the future.
i don't approve of the way MC implemented the map making process but they do creat some very nice maps which would be in the top 10% of CC quality-wise. if they improve their mapmaking process then they'll put CC to shame because they have flash. we don't.

i'm having wet dreams just imagining what sort of maps i could do with the technical possibilities on other sites.... :cry:

CC is like win xp. it still runs and some people are very happy with it. by comparison win 7 has some bugs and many people aren't adjusted to the new interface but pretty soon many programs will be incompatible with win xp and fewer and fewer people will use it.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:29 pm

DiM wrote:i meant a flash based interface instead of the crappy outdated one CC has.

Flash? Seriously?

Who uses flash anymore anyway. It's a dying format.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:31 pm

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:i meant a flash based interface instead of the crappy outdated one CC has.

Flash? Seriously?

Who uses flash anymore anyway. It's a dying format.

Java all the way, baby. Right? Or is there something newer I'm not aware of?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:38 pm

natty_dread wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

Fancy that!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Thing is, when HTML5 becomes widespread, Flash, Silverlight, etc. will all die - HTML5 is an open format so it won't be reliant on some software house making huge money off it. As HTML5 will be capable of everything (and more) that flash is, and it doesn't require you to buy expensive software from Adobe to develop on it... I don't see Flash doing well in the competition.

HTML5 is the way of the future.

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:50 pm

If you're interested... even Adobe acknowledges that HTML5 will eventually replace Flash:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... tk.mod_rel

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:03 pm

dying or not it's still better than what we have here.
i honestly don't know and also don't care if it's flash, html5 silverlight or whatever as long as it allows the map makers to do fancy new stuff and expands the gameplay possibilities.

unfortunately lack barely gave us a few xml features in 4 years so ....
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm just saying, lack would be smart to forget about flash and wait until HTML5 is released and browsers will start supporting it fully - then CC would have an edge against all those ancient caveman flash sites...

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:I'm just saying, lack would be smart to forget about flash and wait until HTML5 is released and browsers will start supporting it fully - then CC would have an edge against all those ancient caveman flash sites...

I think this would be the most logical move for CC as a long term business strategy. But there is alot more that needs to be done to bring this site up to date.... Facebook connect,sustained marketing campaign to increase membership, structured/regular release of updates and new content etc.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:26 pm

gimil wrote:Facebook connect

Oh in the name of everything holy and sacred, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sustained marketing campaign to increase membership, structured/regular release of updates and new content etc.

This I agree with.

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 pm

natty_dread wrote:

Why ever not?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:33 pm

gimil wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

Why ever not?

Facebook Connect is the black plague of the internet. It's a huge security risk: it would tie up your CC account to your facebook account - meaning whoever manages to gain access to your facebook account (which is one of the easiest web sites to apply social engineering on, thanks to all the real world information people so willingly shit all over their profiles) will also gain access to your CC account.

No thanks, we don't need that shit over here.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Have to agree with natty. facebook is for little girls and old men.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:40 pm

natty_dread wrote:
gimil wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

Why ever not?

Facebook Connect is the black plague of the internet. It's a huge security risk: it would tie up your CC account to your facebook account - meaning whoever manages to gain access to your facebook account (which is one of the easiest web sites to apply social engineering on, thanks to all the real world information people so willingly shit all over their profiles) will also gain access to your CC account.

No thanks, we don't need that shit over here.

Facebook connect is a great tool. It allows you to sign up to a website at the click of a button, rather than a registration process. It is no easier to apply social engineering to Facebook that it is to any other high profile website. If you divulge your information to someone that is your own fault. I have packed out my Facebook with information but have it set up so that only people I want to can see it and I am savvy enough to know when I am being phished or conned and avoid it.

If you give out your information to a dodgy third party, that is your fault not facebook connects.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:41 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Have to agree with natty. facebook is for little girls and old men.

But if you are running a business being able to tap into something like 800 million users is a good thing ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:45 pm

gimil wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Have to agree with natty. facebook is for little girls and old men.

But if you are running a business being able to tap into something like 800 million users is a good thing ;)

if little girls and old men are your target then yes, it is a good thing. :lol:
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:00 pm

gimil wrote:

Oh please. CC already advertises on facebook and has it's own facebook page. Why would using facebook connect bring any more people to CC? We'd maybe get some curious people registering here, then leaving after 5 minutes - frankly I don't see CC having much appeal to the farmville gang.

gimil wrote:Facebook connect is a great tool. It allows you to sign up to a website at the click of a button, rather than a registration process.

Yes, and that exactly is the problem with it. Ask any expert of online security, and they will recommend you to use a different password for each website you use. Facebook connect craps all over this principle - it's like having the exact same password on all the sites you visit, but even worse - the first site you go to will have a list of all the sites that password applies to.

gimil wrote:It is no easier to apply social engineering to Facebook that it is to any other high profile website.

Bull... SHIT.

gimil wrote:If you divulge your information to someone that is your own fault. I have packed out my Facebook with information but have it set up so that only people I want to can see it and I am savvy enough to know when I am being phished or conned and avoid it.

If you give out your information to a dodgy third party, that is your fault not facebook connects.

I don't give out my information to anyone. I have never had a facespace account and never will. Only a few people alive even know my email. I don't plaster my real name or other rl information all over the internet like some idiot.

However, not all people are like me. A lot of people have no problem posting their personal information all over facespace. A lot of people also don't use strong passwords. It's a stupid security risk... a compromise for people who are willing to trade security for comfort.

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:52 pm

More on the subject of HTML5... while the format is not yet finished, there are some features of it that can already be used by browsers (other than IE that is).

Here's a pageful of small browser-based HTML5 games. No flash required!

http://www.kesiev.com/akihabara/

(note how much faster these games run than if they were implemented in flash! No silly load times!)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Hey! I resent that :(

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions