Conquer Club

Fonts

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Fonts

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:03 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:btw, are you guys Mac or PC users ?

Never-ending discussion.
I'm mostly a PC user, although Mac is great for some things like music production or professional drawing.
Certainly you don't need a Mac if you want just to play games. ;)
Personally I can say that for music I prefer to work on a Mac (thankfully my "old" brother has one Mac that he lends to me when i need to compose songs).
Both machines have their pro and cons, as said it depends what you have to do with your machine.

What I hate on the Mac side is that fucking i-tunes...i really hate it! :x

And I hate Windows Media Player :lol:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:25 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I'm mostly a PC user, although Mac is great for some things like music production or professional drawing.

I disagree...

Mac just has this reputation for being better for "artsy" things like music, drawing etc... and these days, the reputation is largely unfounded. In the 90:s, yes, Mac was better in those areas... but now, the field is pretty much even. You can get just as good or better hardware and software for music, video & graphics editing on a PC as you can on a Mac.

Victor Sullivan wrote:And I hate Windows Media Player :lol:

Yeah, that's why it's so fun to have a PC - you get all these alternatives, lots of them free even... no one forces you to use just one software or one operating system...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:54 pm

True, but I actually like iTunes :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:16 pm

natty_dread wrote:Mac just has this reputation for being better for "artsy" things like music, drawing etc... and these days, the reputation is largely unfounded. In the 90:s, yes, Mac was better in those areas... but now, the field is pretty much even. You can get just as good or better hardware and software for music, video & graphics editing on a PC as you can on a Mac.

I disagree. A friend of mine had a gaming PC - with a butt load of memory - which I upgraded for him, he does video editing for a living and he switched over to a Mac, and he says that what took a couple of hours to render now only takes minutes on the Mac. He says there is no comparison. Then again when you're doing HD videos there will be no comparison.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Mac just has this reputation for being better for "artsy" things like music, drawing etc... and these days, the reputation is largely unfounded. In the 90:s, yes, Mac was better in those areas... but now, the field is pretty much even. You can get just as good or better hardware and software for music, video & graphics editing on a PC as you can on a Mac.

I disagree. A friend of mine had a gaming PC - with a butt load of memory - which I upgraded for him, he does video editing for a living and he switched over to a Mac, and he says that what took a couple of hours to render now only takes minutes on the Mac. He says there is no comparison. Then again when you're doing HD videos there will be no comparison.

Yeah, it's the same for music, no comparison. Mac is great to compose songs, PC sucks if you don't have tons of free RAM. And I'm saying this because I experienced this running this software --> http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra
With PC it sucks if you don't have 8GB of RAM, on Mac it needs just 4GB.
Natty, when I talk about make music composition I mean softwares like that, a big monster of 194GB on your HD, not DJ softwares you can find for free around on the web. With a set of those softwares I have a complete orchestra set and I can write the vocal parts and a choir sing them just for me.
Listen the demos. As said, it depends on what you want to do with your machine. ;)

Anyways, this topic was about fonts. O:)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:03 am

It depends on the hardware. There are professional equipment and software available on the PC as well. Sound cards, video cards, etc.

8GB of RAM is really not that big of an investment these days. I can get 2GB ram blocks for 10-20€ a piece. Also, when you consider the price difference between PC & Mac (you can get the equivalent cpu power much cheaper on a PC) it offsets the hardware costs somewhat.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions