Cartography Committee

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Jota on Fri May 26, 2006 8:47 am

That works for me. How will maps that have already been submitted and are awaiting approval fit into this?

(Impatient, me? No, of course not...)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Nobunaga on Fri May 26, 2006 9:14 am

... Excellent summary there, Andy. I think we can all live with those guidelines.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby rocksolid on Fri May 26, 2006 12:00 pm

Sounds good to me - very close to what's already in place, but cuts off the option of the mapmaker just telling everyone in the foundry to piss off.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 28, 2006 12:41 am

Alright, well I'm glad we could all come to an agreement on this! I think this is the simplest, yet purest way of implementing this all. I look forward to working with everyone.
Jota wrote: That works for me. How will maps that have already been submitted and are awaiting approval fit into this?
(Impatient, me? No, of course not...)

---I think I will use the two maps that have been awaiting approval as a little test, though I know that both have addressed pretty much every major issue. The real test will come when a developmental map is ready soon. I will post in the respective threads of the two long waiting maps just making sure that there aren't any glaring flaws in anybody's mind.

---And just to throw this out there, what do cartographers feel is enough and just time for any Foundry users who express last minute concerns over maps, after they've reached the 'Final Forge' stage? Perhaps 2 days and if no one posts any concerns it would be given the final 'Foundry Brand' of approval.
---Also in the 'How To Make A Map' page, I've added:
AndyDufresne wrote: ***Note*** Any errors found during the map’s live play on the site must be attended to promptly (I.E. no longer than one month) or else the map will be taken down until said errors are fixed.

What does the Foundry feel is sufficient time? I'm thinking perhaps changing it to 2 weeks (but certainly nothing less than that), but also probably nothing more than 1 month. Perhaps in the middle, and say 3 weeks? ;)

---Lastly, does the Foundry feel the need for a 'Developmental Map Atlas' or something similar, that lists links to all the maps currently in development (incase they slip away due to the cartographer being quite busy)?

Look forward to hearing back from you all!

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby SMITH197 on Sun May 28, 2006 12:51 am

sounds like a plan to me...

will you post new "how to make a map" information or will you make every new map maker sift through that old thread?

"Did you fortify New Guinea or are you just happy to see me?"
Corporal 1st Class SMITH197

Medals: 1
Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 28, 2006 12:54 am

It of course would be updated and edited regularly, though perhaps not the instance a map went live. But once a map is up for live play, it would be taken off the 'Developmental Atlas'. And any new ideas that are taking shape would be added.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Banana Stomper on Sun May 28, 2006 3:16 am

Two weeks for the max fix time. It shouldn't take longer than that.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Jota on Sun May 28, 2006 5:44 am

Two days sounds about right for a map to wait for last minute objections. I'd personally give two and a half or three weeks for fixing errors, just in case someone is going on vacation at the wrong time (although I'd hope most errors would be fixed within a week). And while I can't say that we need a developmental atlas, it does sound like it'd be handy.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions