Conquer Club

Hand Drawing

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Hand Drawing

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:32 pm

so yesterday i got my first graphics tablet and i started doodling and practicing.
i know several of you already have tablets and use them at map making so perhaps this would be good thread to talk about this and share tips and tricks.
so far i've learned the following:
1. don't use black, use a dark brown. for some reason it looks much better
2. don't use the brush at 100% opacity go for 10-50% depending on what you do

so far i've only done images using one colour and it's various shades (from the pen pressure and the opacity) and i've attempted a colourful version too (that kinda sucks).
anyway what troubles me the most are the shadows.i'm trying to learn how to do shadows but i can't find anywhere an answer to this question: should shadow lines be true to one direction throughout the whole image? or can i have them horizontal in one place, vertical on another? or perhaps they must follow the shape of the object?
for example if i make the shadow of a ball, should i make it of round lines or can i do it however i want?
i don't know, i'm torn and i feel like my shadows are inconsistent.
also, how the heck do i draw a straight line. and i'm not talking about perfectly straight cause that's easy, just hold shift :). nope, i want something to be nearly straight, hand-drawn straight.

anyway post images here and let's discuss.
show: hand 1

show: wolf skull

show: marilyn pinup sketch

show: marilyn pinup coloured

show: skull

show: natty without hoodie

show: hand 2
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Hand Drawing

Postby The Bison King on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Funny I always use black lines but I mostly use the tablet for less rendered/realistic stuff.

should shadow lines be true to one direction throughout the whole image? or can i have them horizontal in one place, vertical on another? or perhaps they must follow the shape of the object?
for example if i make the shadow of a ball, should i make it of round lines or can i do it however i want?

There's no official "rule" but in my experience shadow lines look best when they follow the shape of the object. I think Hand 2 is pretty good about this, it would look better if the lines curved just a little bit with the finger, but that can be hard to do and be consistent about it.

how the heck do i draw a straight line. and i'm not talking about perfectly straight cause that's easy, just hold shift :). nope, i want something to be nearly straight, hand-drawn straight.

Wish I could tell you I'm still trying to figure that one out :?
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Drawing straight lines is hard with a cheaper tablet... a lot of them have a very slick surface which causes wobble. Especially as they wear down with use. Professional level tablets (eg. Intuos) often have exchangeable surface sheets for this reason.

Usually when I need to draw things with accuracy, I just place a sheet of paper on the tablet and draw through it. It gives the pen tip some friction which helps keeping the pen steady, and also gives a more natural feel for drawing.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:59 pm

actually it wasn't about the tablet's surface it was more about my hand. anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees i can draw perfect horizontal lines, once i get past 90 all the way round to 359 my straight lines become crappy and wobbly.
but i discovered something so freaking simple it eluded me so far :)
i can simply turn the tablet to whatever direction i want so that the line i'm supposed to draw is at the angle i'm most comfortable with.
so since a horizontal left to right motion produces the best results i just turn the tablet around until it matches the position.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Or, you could try MyPaint, it has a neat function that lets you rotate the canvas while you draw.

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

Postby DiM on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:08 pm

that does sound interesting but i'll stick to photoshop for now. it's a programme i'm comfortable with

not too happy with this one. it should have been a lot more detailed but i'm not that good and/or patient :)
show: arc de triomphe
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Nice work on these, I am always amazed by people who can draw or paint or sculpt, since I always stunk at art classes in school. Heck, I remember trying to draw from those 'learn how to draw with these easy steps' books, and things never turned out right!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 pm

i've done more practicing but it feels weird to be the only one posting :(
Major DiM

Postby The Bison King on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:24 pm

I recently tried making a comic strictly on the computer with my tablet... ok I didn't just "try" I actually did it this is what it looked like:

Click image to enlarge.

I still don't think I can draw as well n the tablet as I can on paper but I recognize the conveniences.

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

that actually looks awesome. the shading is superb. and the facial expressions. i love it. post more.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 pm

That is awesome, TBK.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:47 pm

looks good man.. .talent is going to shine on any media, I believe Picasso said something like that.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:36 pm

here's a banana i drew with my tablet just practicing. straight lines are always hard for me. for coloring, i learned to set my opacity real low, and sample colors using a 5 point sample with the eyedropper, instead of a 1 point sample.

Private RjBeals

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 am

Ok, here's my first try on a new software (Krita)... I'm basically in love with this program already, particularly the sketch brushes - they're just plain awesome. That's all there is to say about sketch brushes.

This is really just a doodle, I was basically just trying out different brushes and effects at random, so it's not very refined...

Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:13 am

Self portrait. :P

Love it and nice considering you have just started on this new programme of yours. Going to ask how is it different but in the other group.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:23 am

Here's more experimenting... this one didn't quite turn out like I wanted but meh.

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:26 am

Did I happen to mention this software is amazing?

Here's something I did using sketch brush + symmetry tool:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby DiM on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:13 pm

i worked on more images some turned out nice, some turned out decent. still need loads and loads of practice though.
here are a few:

show: orc

show: sexy

show: superman
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Nice!

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu May 03, 2012 7:35 pm

This thread is awesome.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun May 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I've been drawing sexy demons today

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 13, 2012 10:05 pm

well... you've been drawing demons today.

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 14, 2012 12:42 am

natty dread wrote:I've been drawing sexy demons today

:shock:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby grifftron on Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 am

you guys got some mad skills.. good job
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 am

Click image to enlarge.

You know so long as this threads called "hand drawing" I suppose there's no reason I can't post some actual hand drawings done with pencil and paper. These are from when I was real into making up fictional animals for Thyseneal. Mostly just adding horns or tusks to pre-existing animals.

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions