Conquer Club

XML Modifications and Variations

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2007 8:14 am

KEYOGI wrote:I guess that would work for team games, but it seems kind of a useless feature for single player games. I dunno, just my opinion... perhaps you can convince me otherwise. :wink:

i have a project that needs this feature.
i need certain terits that all people can go to regardless of how many armies they have.

if i don't have this feature a guy with huge armies might move into such a terit and keep others away because they don't have the strenght to breach the defence. if multi ownership (as presented above) is introduced anybody can move into such a terit no matter how many armies they have. it is really important for my gameplay.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Tue May 29, 2007 8:16 am

So I'm guessing there's no attacking within the territory itself?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2007 8:22 am

KEYOGI wrote:So I'm guessing there's no attacking within the territory itself?

no attacking inside that terit.

also if you want to go in that terit you select attack but no dice are rolled and you just move. so hit attack button and the dice phase is skipped and you instantly have the option to select how many armies to move.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Tue May 29, 2007 8:25 am

That's a pretty hard thing to do with xml, dim. Don't count on it. I would just make it a space that counts as connecting to all adjacent countries for all player, you know, for fortification.
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 am

unriggable wrote:That's a pretty hard thing to do with xml, dim. Don't count on it. I would just make it a space that counts as connecting to all adjacent countries for all player, you know, for fortification.

i don't know if it hard or not. as i said, i have no idea how xml works. but yeti_c said anything is possible. so i still have hope.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue May 29, 2007 8:49 am

unriggable wrote:That's a pretty hard thing to do with xml, dim. Don't count on it. I would just make it a space that counts as connecting to all adjacent countries for all player, you know, for fortification.

It's piece of piss in XML to do anything...

It's the parser that might make it tricky...

When will people learn exactly what XML is?

"eXtensible Markup Language."

It's not code...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2007 9:00 am

more things i need: (i know i'm beginning to stretch it here but the project i'm working on is very different and the more i progress in doing the more i realize i need more and more xml features)

so:
Suggestion Idea: Random assigned xml features

Description: let's say i have a map where some terits give bonuses. i want those terits to be random every time a new game starts

Why It Should Be Considered: some maps could use a little randomness to avoid boredom.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

Suggestion Idea: Motion detectors

Description: i want triggers in the xml for certain actions done by the players. let's say a players moves from terita A to B. if he moves 10 troops it's ok but if he moves 100 troops a motion detector is triggered and a xml feature is applied (like an impassable border or decay or something)

Why It Should Be Considered: cause it's cool :P

Lack Label (Mod Use):

i think #2 could be done through the suggestion below but i'm not sure so i posted it. if the one below also includes #2 then just ignore #2.

Suggestion Idea: Conditions for xml features

Description: let's say we have a cannon terit that has ranged attack. but i don't want that ranged attack to be available unless the owner also has another terit called ammo depot. so can the cannon terit lose his ranged attack if the owner loses the ammo depot?

Why It Should Be Considered: i have a project that needs this plus it would add a whole new dimension to tactics and realism.

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2007 9:01 am

yeti_c wrote:

It's piece of piss in XML to do anything...

It's the parser that might make it tricky...

When will people learn exactly what XML is?

"eXtensible Markup Language."

It's not code...

C.

what you're saying is music to my ears \:D/

the only impediment is lack's available time to do all this work. but i'll be patient O:)
Major DiM

Postby andreweberman on Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 am

DiM wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:
DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Multiple ownership of a terit

Is this really so different to continents sharing a border? I'm interested to see in what context it would be used as I don't really see much point to it from what you have said.

it is totally different. here's a pic to help.

as you can see we have red army and blue army in the eyes.

now they decide to MOVE (not attack but move) towards the mouth.
in the mouth both armies can coexist in a multiple ownership. multiple ownership means there are more players on the same terit at the same time.

in sharing terits (like space map) there can be only one army in a terit at any given time.

This is a very interesting concept, but it would have a huge problem. If you can not attack the territory then how could you ever hope to win a game? All a player would have to do is move one troops into that territory, and the game would go on for ever. Considering that last statement (unless you implement some triggers to make it attackable under some conditions) this implementation could only be done in objective based games (assuming they become available).
Sergeant 1st Class andreweberman

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 pm

andreweberman wrote:This is a very interesting concept, but it would have a huge problem. If you can not attack the territory then how could you ever hope to win a game? All a player would have to do is move one troops into that territory, and the game would go on for ever. Considering that last statement (unless you implement some triggers to make it attackable under some conditions) this implementation could only be done in objective based games (assuming they become available).

you've just answered your question. :D

triggers and/or mission :wink:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 am

Suggestion Idea: Starting positions by colour

Description: i don't know how i forgot this one but i did. luckily i remembered :)
so i want to be able to write in the xml where will each player start depending on the number of players. something like:
Code: Select all
if 2 players -> red terit A green terit H (the rest neutral)
if 3 players -> red terit A green terit H and blue in terit D (the rest neutral)

Why It Should Be Considered:
this would be perfect to direct gameplay for team games but also for standard games where you want to make sure there's a lot of neutral between 2 players. plus i have a project that needs this plus it :P

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed May 30, 2007 8:36 am

so anybody know if were going to have a new update? i mean, hopefully the features that lack just implemented will be the first of many.

i'm just saying this because apparently for the last pages i've been writing by myself.

i don't want them implemented now. i just want to know if they ever will. :roll:
Major DiM

Re: Bonus Spaces

Postby JupitersKing on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:02 pm

JupitersKing wrote:BONUS SPACES

Having been playing on self-made maps for a few months now I've found a trick I simply call Bonus Spaces. That is certain fixed spaces on the map receive a +1 reinforcement to its owner every turn. The army is placed directly onto the space and cannot be deployed as normal.

This adds an added dimension to the game, imagine if the Middle East received a free army every turn players would attack the owner every turn to deny the bonus. However, hold the Middle East for a few turns and you can tip the balance of power in the region.

Bonus Spaces add a new wrinkle into the strategy involved of dealing with certain regions on maps designed for them.

JK

Lack Speaks Here ==>: [No]

WidowMakers and I seem to have suggested this and told no. But it seems to have been incorporated into the new update.

I assume that the specific reinforcement part was the part shot down but that the general idea was approved. Am I correct in this assumtion?

JK
Cadet JupitersKing

Postby dominationnation on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:00 pm

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Starting positions by colour

Description: i don't know how i forgot this one but i did. luckily i remembered :)
so i want to be able to write in the xml where will each player start depending on the number of players. something like:
if 3 players -> red terit A green terit H and blue in terit D (the rest neutral)

this would be perfect to direct gameplay for team games but also for standard games where you want to make sure there's a lot of neutral between 2 players. plus i have a project that needs this plus it :P

Lack Label (Mod Use):

this is sanareio. thats a gameplay update and pending on the to do list
Cook dominationnation

Postby Molacole on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:37 am

lackattack wrote:Ranged Attacks - I also like this but I can't decide whether the successful attack should (a) leave 1 neutral or (b) 1 of your colour in the bombed territory?

(a) leave 1 neutral would be perfect as long as you get a card for clearing the troops otherwise I'm not sure if I would like it or not.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby DiM on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:25 am

dominationnation wrote:

Lack Label (Mod Use):

this is sanareio. thats a gameplay update and pending on the to do list

yes it could be part of a scenario. if it gets implemented i'm glad i don't care how.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:01 am

anybody knows if and when will be the next batch of updates?

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: One-time Bonus

Description: you receive a one time bonus when you conquer a terit. after that the terit gives no other bonus regardless if somebody else takes the terit.

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Modifiable bonus for number of owned terits

Description: normaly you get 1 for every 3 terits you own (minimum 3 troops if you have less than 12). well, i'd preatty much like to regulate these numbers. for example get +1 for each terit. or +3 for every 2 terits, or why not? get absolutely nothing regardless of the terits you have

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Converting Territories

Description: a territory can be converted to another player if certain conditions are met. let's say we have a green territory surrounded by blue. if blue's troops are ten times stronger the green teritory becomes blue with just one army

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Variable Attack Range

Description: we have ranged attacks but those are predefined ranged attacks and can only be applied to set territories. i want those attacks to be variable. so you have a catapult in territory A and it can attack at a certain range (let's say 3 territories in any direction) but in time that catapult becomes a cannon and thus it should be able to attack at a longer range.
or perhaps you get a certain territory that while it is held it provides a boost in catapult range and if you lose it you return to normal range.

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Conditions for xml features

Description: let's say we have a cannon terit that has ranged attack. but i don't want that ranged attack to be available unless the owner also has another terit called ammo depot. so can the cannon terit lose his ranged attack if the owner loses the ammo depot?

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Win condition - number of armies

Description: can a specific number of armies be added as a wining condition? let's say you must have terit x & y but also have 100 armies in those terits.

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Multiple ownership of a terit

Description: some terits are not attackable but more players can move into the same terit.
let's say we have terit A -> B <- C
with the arrows being one way moving. not attacking just moving. green is in terit A and he moves his troops to B. he selects attack but no dice are rolled he just moves. then red has terit C and also moves into terit B. now both red and green have their armies in the same terit. it's multiple ownership. since the teit is move only there's not the problem of someone attacking it to see who defends and such

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Random assigned xml features

Description: let's say i have a map where some terits give bonuses. i want those terits to be random every time a new game starts

DiM wrote:Suggestion Idea: Motion detectors

Description: i want triggers in the xml for certain actions done by the players. let's say a players moves from terita A to B. if he moves 10 troops it's ok but if he moves 100 troops a motion detector is triggered and a xml feature is applied (like an impassable border or decay or something)

Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:34 am

Lack's on hol for 2 weeks - so nowhere near the immediate...

Also I think he wants to do other stuff first... XML stuff is probably on the backburner for a little while until stuff like

Fog Of War,
Clickable Maps,
& 8 Player games.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:39 am

yeti_c wrote:Lack's on hol for 2 weeks - so nowhere near the immediate...

Also I think he wants to do other stuff first... XML stuff is probably on the backburner for a little while until stuff like

Fog Of War,
Clickable Maps,
& 8 Player games.

C.

he's on vacation? again?
lack is a real party animal :lol:

he just had 3 weeks of vacation :P

well i don't want the things implemented now i only want to know if he ever plans on doing them. i have 2 projects that need the above modifications and there's no point starting if i don't know for sure that the changes will be implemented. :?
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:33 pm

The current absence is much less of a 'vacation' for him. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:00 am

AndyDufresne wrote:The current absence is much less of a 'vacation' for him. :)

--Andy

Don't tell me he's gotten trapped in the toilet again?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:29 pm

will multiple map images be available in the future? and the possibility they change at a set number of turns or at some trigger points like taking a certain terit?
Major DiM

I Agree

Postby Keredrex on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 pm

I would like to know the XML modofocations to come ... at least the ones that will definitely be added... it would impact heavily on the maps that I want to create....
Specifically... ranged attacks -
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:51 am

Ranged attacks is in...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Multiple Unit Types

Postby JupitersKing on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:13 pm

Multiple Unit Types

Allows more than one type of unit in a game and assigns them point values for Attack and Defend.

Example:

We use one type for our games, infantry. Say infantry has a 2pv Attack Skill and a 2pv Defend Skil.

By allowing MUT you can included different units, with different values. Artillery, for instance, would have a more powerful 3pv Attack Skill, but because they are vulnerable their Defend pv would only be 1. Cavalry which is lightly armed would have a 1pv Attack Skill and because of their mobility and ability to disengage their Defend Skill would be 3pv.

This is far-fetched and ten years away but I wanted to put it out there. It would also require units to have hit points, which would be another five years away. Still, I wanted to post it anyway and see if there's any feedback.

JK
Last edited by JupitersKing on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh Shit!" George Armstrong Custer, 25 June 1876.

7th Cav Productions
Cadet JupitersKing

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions