Conquer Club

XML Modifications and Variations

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby mibi on Sun May 06, 2007 4:07 pm

CONTINENT BONUS TRIGGERS OTHER XML STUFF

Description: I would like to see some of these other ideas like non-deployable territories or decaying territories or ever regular bonuses, have the option to be dependant on holding an area or continent. Like if you hold territory, x, y, z then territory A becomes one way, or territory B increases its bonuses to 5 or something.

Why It Should Be Considered: this would just open up the game play exponentially when other tweaks are added.

Lack Label (Mod Use): [Maybe]
Captain mibi

Re: Max Army Bonuses

Postby SkyCaptain on Wed May 09, 2007 9:18 pm

JupitersKing wrote:Max Troop Limit
Non-deployable Territories

These all seem to me the same idea/problem/suggestion.

The answer to me comes from the Risk II game.

A territory can add 1 army for itself and 1 army for each adjacent terrirtory. Thus if you own Australia only you can place 3 armies on Indonesia and Eastern Australia and 4 armies on New Guinea and Western Australia. Same goes for after turn deployment. You can move 3 onto Indonesia and up to 4 onto WA/NG.

This solves both problems at once with out imposing a hard cap on the troop levels per territory, which would be impossible in the Foundry anyway to get everyone to agree that these spaces are capped at 20 and these at 12.....

JK

Nice idea, but what happens when you cash in a set of 25 armies and have just been owned so you have one country?
Captain SkyCaptain

Postby Wisse on Thu May 10, 2007 12:33 am

dominationnation wrote:Fortifyable but non attackable borders

I would like to see borders that can be fortifyed to but not attacked or can be attacked but not fortifyed to

specifcs:simply borders that would be normal when attacking but cant be foftifyed across or visa-versa

Why its need: to simulate mountain crossings that are to thin to get a succsuesful attack across but can pass troops across.

Lack label:

already been suggested
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Re: XML Modifications and Variations

Postby ericwdhs on Thu May 10, 2007 8:19 pm

I haven't looked really well, but this may have already been suggested. Indeed if it hasn't, I'll be surprised.

Suggestion Idea: Different Army Number Font Styles and Sizes

Description: Map makers will be able to specify from a list of available fonts for their maps within the XML files. Example:
Code: Select all
<numbers><font size="7" color="blue" face="Times New Roman"></numbers>
This probably isn't how you would do it, but it shouldn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Why It Should Be Considered: The army number pixel font we use now just doesn't fit a lot of the maps. It's also very limiting on what size territories can be created. The army numbers could easily be about half their current size and still be readable. They could also be something completely different (Comic Sans, Arial, Times New Roman, Console, whatever fits). I'm not sure what format the current numbers are, either text or image (possibly for the different colors and black outline), but either way, this shouldn't really be too hard to implement. If you use text, you just have to make sure you have them in your system. If you use images for the numbers, drawing them would be the only part that may take some time but I'm sure many people would be happy to spend a few minutes and add more fonts to your cache.

Lack Label (Mod Use): [No]
Sergeant ericwdhs

Postby DiM on Thu May 10, 2007 8:47 pm

ericwdhs wrote:I haven't looked really well, but this may have already been suggested. Indeed if it hasn't, I'll be surprised.

Description: Map makers will be able to specify from a list of available fonts for their maps within the XML files. Example:
This probably isn't how you would do it, but it shouldn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Why It Should Be Considered: The army number pixel font we use now just doesn't fit a lot of the maps. It's also very limiting on what size territories can be created. The army numbers could easily be about half their current size and still be readable. They could also be something completely different (Comic Sans, Arial, Times New Roman, Console, whatever fits). I'm not sure what format the current numbers are, either text or image (possibly for the different colors and black outline), but either way, this shouldn't really be too hard to implement. If you use text, you just have to make sure you have them in your system. If you use images for the numbers, drawing them would be the only part that may take some time but I'm sure many people would be happy to spend a few minutes and add more fonts to your cache.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

actualy i'm not too fond of this idea. i think the army fonts should be the same as they might cause confusion for new players.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby ericwdhs on Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 pm

DiM wrote:actualy i'm not too fond of this idea. i think the army fonts should be the same as they might cause confusion for new players.

Well, you probably have a good point, but what's confusing about them? They will still be colored according to player and be the only real numbers on the map... I'm sure some map makers would like numbers that match their maps.
Sergeant ericwdhs

Postby DiM on Fri May 11, 2007 8:45 am

ericwdhs wrote:
DiM wrote:actualy i'm not too fond of this idea. i think the army fonts should be the same as they might cause confusion for new players.

Well, you probably have a good point, but what's confusing about them? They will still be colored according to player and be the only real numbers on the map... I'm sure some map makers would like numbers that match their maps.

yep i'd love to set some pirate style fonts for the army numbers on my map but basicaly the army numbers are the only thing that stays the same on all maps the rest just changes, they are probably that touch of familiarity that helps people accept new maps and get comfortable with them. i don't know if that's true. it's just my opinion.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 11, 2007 12:50 pm

ericwdhs wrote:I haven't looked really well, but this may have already been suggested. Indeed if it hasn't, I'll be surprised.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

The only challenge with this is that a font specified might not be carried on a viewers computer, and unless the code embeds the font, it could be a prob.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Bodmanbod on Fri May 11, 2007 2:20 pm

yeah, people would be limited to fonts like arial and times new roman etc so the fonts work...
Private 1st Class Bodmanbod

Postby ericwdhs on Fri May 11, 2007 7:41 pm

cairnswk wrote:The only challenge with this is that a font specified might not be carried on a viewers computer, and unless the code embeds the font, it could be a prob.

Do you know what font is used now? I don't recognize it and I don't think I have it. (I've browsed through all of mine to make sure.) I think that means they are embedded. I think the black outline pretty much has to make it embedded.
Sergeant ericwdhs

Postby hulmey on Sat May 12, 2007 6:31 am

TO CHOOSE WHERE YOU LAY YOUR ARMIES
[No]

For example every tetority gets 1 army and then u get to choose where u deploy them...THis eradicates players having really good starting positions that puts them in control from the beginning of the game.

Also Fog of War
[No]

I think its on the things to do and i like IT. Espically good for assain games :D

Also think someone mentioned it Castle Risk with diplomats and flags and what have you
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DiM on Sat May 12, 2007 6:37 am

i suggested multiple map images in the first post.

now i need:

1. dice modifiers:
*number of dice
*+/- points for the dice
[No]

2. automatic pms sent to the players. i need this for the RPG map for quests and stuff.
plus it would be good for the maps with extensive explanations on the gameplay. especially with the new xml modifications it would be neat to get a pm that explains everything.
[No]
Last edited by DiM on Sat May 12, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat May 12, 2007 6:59 am

Special troops movement

also i need two more things for this project. to recreate the movement of the heroes i need special attacks. meaning you attack from zone A to zone B with 10 troops. you conquer zone B without losses and move everything there without leaving 1 troops behind. now you have zone B with 10 troops and zone A neutral with 1 troop or even 0 depending if that zone is considered a regenerating zone for monsters.
[No]

Card Settings

i also need the cards to be different. instead of the cards having the territory names, the card names will be taken from a special set list in the xml and they will be resources for spells. the spell recipies will be in the xml but they will be hidden. it's up to the player to discover combinations. try toad slime and eye of nute and you might get nothing but wait one more turn and get lizard tongue and you'll create Lizard imunity meaning for the next 3 turns you'll get +1 at dice when you attack lizards. this would be really neat.
also i need to set the chances for each card occuring. for example extremly powerfull spells should be scarce, and some resources should be found on only some maps.
[No]
Major DiM

Postby lackattack on Sun May 13, 2007 9:29 am

Wow, there are a whole lot of great suggestions here! Thanks to all of you for sharing your ideas. Sorry it took me a while to address them, I am still catching up from my vacation!

I need to consider the benefit as well as the cost, so instead of assessing them based on difficulty I've decided to skip a step and mark each proposal [Yes], [Maybe], or [No]. I only want to pick the very best proposals so I can get the changes done in a week or two. I marked as [No] anything that is not really related to map XML (e.g. war fog), requires radical change to the game engine (e.g. changing the way dice work) or is simply not worth the effort in my opinion. To save time I didn't write explanations put please post any questions here about the assessments and I'll answer.

So I would like to go ahead with these proposals:

Starting Neutral Territories (e.g. Ethiopia starts with 6 neutral armies)
<country>
<name>Ethiopia</name>
<borders>
  <border>Somalia</border>
  <border>Kenya</border>
</borders>
<coordinates>
  <smallx>424</smallx>
  <smally>213</smally>
  <largex>569</largex>
  <largey>277</largey>
</coordinates>
<neutral>6</neutral>
</country>

Final Objective (e.g. win the game by conquering the west coast)
<continent>
</continent>
<objective>
  <name>West Coast</name>
  <components>
     <component>Burkina Faso</component>
     <component>Benin</component>
     <component>Ghana</component>
     <component>Liberia</component>
     <component>Guinea</component>
     <component>Senegal</component>
     <component>Mauritania</component>
     <component>Western Sahara</component>
     <component>Morocco</component>
  </components>
</objective>
<country>
</country>

Territorial Bonus (e.g. Ethiopia gets a +2 bonus each round, negative numbers also allowed)
<country>
<name>Ethiopia</name>
<borders>
  <border>Somalia</border>
  <border>Kenya</border>
</borders>
<coordinates>
  <smallx>424</smallx>
  <smally>213</smally>
  <largex>569</largex>
  <largey>277</largey>
</coordinates>
<bonus>2</bonus>
</country>

And here are the maybes, with my concerns:

Troop Limit and Non-Deployable Territories - I like these but there is an issue where you have a bunch of armies to deploy and nowhere to put them.

Variable XML - The map image, borders, etc.. can change over time, triggered by round or conquerage of a key territory or continent. I'm not sure how this would best be implemented (though I know I want it done in one file, not many files). I'm leaning towards putting this concept off for the next round of XML changes.

Army Grant Formula - Not too big on this because it messes with basic gameplay instructions. How badly do we really want it?

Ranged Attacks - I also like this but I can't decide whether the successful attack should (a) leave 1 neutral or (b) 1 of your colour in the bombed territory?

Non-Attack, Non-Fortify borders - Interesting, but not sure what the XML should look like, or how badly we need this. There may be some overlap with Ranged Attacks here.

(please post your input on the above ideas if you have any)

Honourable mentions:

Paratroopers - this is an idea I'd like to see in a map, but I think it can be done already by making a country with 1-way borders to everywhere.

Starting Scenarios - I'd like to do this someday, but not this round. Scenarious might be doable in separate files from the map XML, by different authors.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby DiM on Sun May 13, 2007 12:33 pm

i actually am pretty disappointed. 90% of the ideas were marked [NO] and those few that were marked [Yes] are actually the simplest ones.

while i do understand the reasons i can't help being disappointed.

it's like telling a kid he can have anything for Christmas and after he wishes for a pony you get him a rubber duck saying this is the only thing you could get for the 5$ you had in your pocket.

so many great ideas marked no :cry:

edit// i still have hope for the maybe ideas.

* Starting Neutral Territories (e.g. Ethiopia starts with 6 neutral armies)

this is a good one. could prove rather useful in setting some neutral barriers.
or for those key terits that give bonuses.
nice addition.

* Final Objective
(e.g. win the game by conquering the west coast)

this is also interesting but unless the objective can be random from several scenarios it's not really that usefull. playing a game over and over again for the same objective is kinda boring. different objectives for each player or at least a common objective that is changed with each game could be much better.

* Territorial Bonus (e.g. Ethiopia gets a +2 bonus each round, negative numbers also allowed)

i don't really see the addition here. this was already possible. just define that terit as a continent with a bonus. the only improvement is that you need less lines of code.
Major DiM

Postby Wisse on Sun May 13, 2007 1:41 pm

lack you should make a new sticky for the ideas you have completed
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Wisse on Sun May 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Suggestion Idea: mixing countrys(didn't know a better name)

Description: You can set how much countries of a continent each player can have by in the beginning (like you can only have 2 countries in ocenia and 4 in europe) or just so that a player doesn't get the whole continent in the beginning

Why It Should Be Considered: players always say: i hate it when someone got a whole continent in the beginning

Lack Label (Mod Use): [No]
Last edited by Wisse on Thu May 17, 2007 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby glee on Sun May 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Suggestion Idea: Overruling continent bonus

Description: The idea is to have continent bonuses based on different criterias where the lesser criterea is overruled by one that gives a greater bonus. (See example below)

Why It Should Be Considered: The idea came up because of an idea about a poker map consisting of cards spread out on a table. You get your bonus from your best five card poker hand. To make this possible without the bonuses getting rediciously high one continent bonus has to take out an other one. Along with the suggestion about holding x territories out of y possible it would be possible to use this idea for a map.

I'm sure other ways of using this new feature will come up.

Lack Label (Mod Use): [Maybe]
Major glee

Postby Wisse on Sun May 13, 2007 2:21 pm

glee wrote:Suggestion Idea: Overruling continent bonus

Description: The idea is to have continent bonuses based on different criterias where the lesser criterea is overruled by one that gives a greater bonus. (See example below)

Why It Should Be Considered: The idea came up because of an idea about a poker map consisting of cards spread out on a table. You get your bonus from your best five card poker hand. To make this possible without the bonuses getting rediciously high one continent bonus has to take out an other one. Along with the suggestion about holding x territories out of y possible it would be possible to use this idea for a map.

I'm sure other ways of using this new feature will come up.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

what if i don't get it?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Lone.prophet on Sun May 13, 2007 2:49 pm

mobilisation

for any land you control,you get 1 army every turn, or second turn, or third turn. on the specific country
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby johloh on Sun May 13, 2007 3:18 pm

lackattack wrote:And here are the maybes, with my concerns:

Ranged Attacks - I also like this but I can't decide whether the successful attack should (a) leave 1 neutral or (b) 1 of your colour in the bombed territory?

Honourable mentions:

Starting Scenarios - I'd like to do this someday, but not this round. Scenarious might be doable in separate files from the map XML, by different authors.

-with ranged attacks you gotta go with leaving 1 neutral...it just makes sense. ranged attacks shouldnt end in you being able to advance through that path, even if it is during the next turn. you should basically just be able to break continents with them...

-starting scenarios is my personal favorite, mainly because it removes a lot of the luck from the game, which i like. if not now, i hope you can implement this later.
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby lackattack on Sun May 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Sorry to disappoint you DiM, but I think your ideas are unrealistic. We have to nail down some basics before we get to the fancy stuff. Also, I like to keep the game as simple as possible, if you haven't noticed :)

DiM wrote:* Territorial Bonus (e.g. Ethiopia gets a +2 bonus each round, negative numbers also allowed)

i don't really see the addition here. this was already possible. just define that terit as a continent with a bonus. the only improvement is that you need less lines of code.

There is a big difference. The bonus always goes on Ethiopia!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby hulmey on Sun May 13, 2007 3:43 pm

i like prophets idea..

In my younger years i used to play risk with my sister and the bonus armies we got for the continent had to be deployed in the continent we got them for.

Can this be done lack?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby lackattack on Sun May 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh, I forgot a [Yes]... Collections (a.k.a. X for Y bonus)

<continent>
</continent>
<collection>
  <name>Power Plants</name>
  <components>
     <component>Burkina Faso</component>
     <component>Benin</component>
     <component>Ghana</component>
     <component>Liberia</component>
     <component>Guinea</component>
     <component>Senegal</component>
     <component>Mauritania</component>
     <component>Western Sahara</component>
     <component>Morocco</component>
  </components>
  <bonuses>
     <bonus quantity="3">1</bonus>
     <bonus quantity="6">3</bonus>
     <bonus quantity="9">5</bonus>
     <bonus quantity="12">7</bonus>
     <bonus quantity="15">10</bonus>
  </bonuses>
</collection>
<country>
</country>

Not sure if this is the most elegant way to do it...
Sergeant lackattack

Postby DiM on Sun May 13, 2007 3:53 pm

lackattack wrote:Sorry to disappoint you DiM, but I think your ideas are unrealistic. We have to nail down some basics before we get to the fancy stuff. Also, I like to keep the game as simple as possible, if you haven't noticed :)

i know i'm a dreamer and sometimes i take things to extremes but other people had great ideas that you turned down not just me. really neat ideas :(

and yes i felt this whole simplicity thing on my aom map :(
i frankly don't understand why people settle for less when they could have more.

why not have more options? why not have more complex games? why not?

if it is technically impossible i understand. heck i'd even understand if you say you prefer to go out and have a beer instead of tweaking the game engine, it's your choice but i don't get the "whole let's keep it simple" thing.

don't get me wrong, simple is good, but complex should also be available as an option.
heck i'll enjoy a classic fast and furious RT game, but i'd also enjoy a theory of relativity map where instead of rolling dice you solve scientific problems.

lackattack wrote:
DiM wrote:* Territorial Bonus (e.g. Ethiopia gets a +2 bonus each round, negative numbers also allowed)

There is a big difference. The bonus always goes on Ethiopia!

oh, i get it. then it is a nice one but still nothing fancy 8)
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions