Conquer Club

Map Awards 2013 RESULTS

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Awards 2013 RESULTS

Postby Gillipig on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:As far as "classic" maps, I'll be creating 1982 games regularly.

That is probably the one map that gameplay wise I am really proud of. Well, that and knights. :)

I stared at that quote for half a minute, trying to remember when I said that, before noticing that you weren't quoting me lol.
Gilligan, we really shouldn't post in the same threads, the confusion is horrible. We'll have to split up the threads somehow :).
When I see someone quoting a user who's first five letters is Gilli, I'm not even reading the last three, I'm just assuming he means me lol.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

What I am really glad about is that it seems like nobody just multi-voted, and there didn't seem to be any clan-swarming.

With multi-voting, I mean there was nothing stopping you from voting twice.

For clan-swarming, I mean the maps all won off of their merits it seems, and not a clan-influenced popularity contest, like sometimes happens on CC (I remember the Off-Topics Premium award a few months ago).
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Gilligan on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Gillipig wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:As far as "classic" maps, I'll be creating 1982 games regularly.

That is probably the one map that gameplay wise I am really proud of. Well, that and knights. :)

I stared at that quote for half a minute, trying to remember when I said that, before noticing that you weren't quoting me lol.
Gilligan, we really shouldn't post in the same threads, the confusion is horrible. We'll have to split up the threads somehow :).
When I see someone quoting a user who's first five letters is Gilli, I'm not even reading the last three, I'm just assuming he means me lol.

Yes, I have that confusion as well...I just see "Gilli" and assume it's me. :roll:
Captain Gilligan

Postby ViperOverLord on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:54 am

koontz1973 wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:I thought Kings Court 2 would be the big winner. I guess I forgot that a majority of players still prefer a more 'classic' sort of map. Of course, I don't mean that as a slight. Eurasia is a great map.

When you consider Eurasia had about 6 more months of play, Kings court 2, still in beta did bloody well to get the one win and the 4 second places. This was the one map that took Eurasia to the wire in a lot of the categories. Given more time, it may of won some more as well. It was also the only map in beta that took anything.

I disagree. I think the same crowd that liked KC1 are the ones that are into KC2. And I think a map only has to be in beta for so long to be known. I think KC2 hit the threshold on that front too.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby ViperOverLord on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 am

anamainiacks wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:I thought Kings Court 2 would be the big winner. I guess I forgot that a majority of players still prefer a more 'classic' sort of map. Of course, I don't mean that as a slight. Eurasia is a great map.

When you consider Eurasia had about 6 more months of play, Kings court 2, still in beta did bloody well to get the one win and the 4 second places. This was the one map that took Eurasia to the wire in a lot of the categories. Given more time, it may of won some more as well. It was also the only map in beta that took anything.

That's not true, they've had equal amount of play on the site.

Eurasia went live into BETA on 3 May 2012, and was officially quenched on 12 September 2012.

King's Court 2 went live into BETA on 16 April 2012 (17 days earlier than Eurasia) but hasn't yet been quenched because of the need to iron out game mechanics and stuff like that, which is understandable since it is a more complex map. It probably still had less games played on it in part due to its BETA tag, since many players stay away from such maps incase of gameplay changes midway.

King's Court 2 is definitely an excellent map, but like what ViperOverLord mentioned, 'classic' gameplay is ultimately more popular than the complex ones, so I don't think the results would have changed much. That said, the complex maps definitely add much variety in gameplay and strategies into the site, and are very much integral to the entertainment factors of the site (:

Congratulations to all winners and mapmakers, and thanks for giving us so many choices to play on!

Reading this after my last my last post. Worthy of the bump.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Ok, I sorted the maps based on how many awards they won and some arbitrary point system. If you want to rank them in your own way (say, by counting ties as full score, or by reducing the best new mapmaker award) you can. As expected, Eurasia and KCII were neck and neck. Not counting the Map of the Year Award, Eurasia Mini was only 1 point behind KCII though. DoomYoshi Nominees Africa II and Island of Doom didn't get any awards. KCII was not nominated for a Yoshi, namely because I don't like it that much. I expect Baltic to crush every category next year (except Big Game maybe).

Total Awards Score (Third Place counts 2 points, Second Place Counts 4 Points, First Place Counts 6, a tie counts -1 points)
Eurasia 25(5/4/0/1) 1st Place, Best Large Game Map; 1st Place, Team Game Map; 1st Place, Graphics; 3rd Place Tie, Gameplay; 1st Place, Best Map
King's Court II 21(5/1/4/0) 2nd Place, Best Large Game Map; 2nd Place, Team Game Map; 2nd Place Tie, Graphics; 1st Place, Gameplay; 2nd Place, Best Map
Eurasia Mini 16 (3/2/1/0) First Place, Best Small Game Map; Second Place, Best map for 1v1;1st Place, Ease of Use
Knights 15(3/2/1/0)Second Place, Best Small Game Map; First Place, Best map for 1v1; 1st Place Tie, Most Original
Dark Continent 9 (4/0/2/2) Third Place Tie, Best Small Game Map; 2nd Place Tie, Graphics; 2nd Place Tie, Gameplay; 3rd Place, Best Map
Salem's Switch 8(2/1/1/0) 2nd Place Tie, Gameplay; 1st Place Tie, Most Original
Trench Warfare 7 (4/0/0/4) Third Place, Best map for 1v1; Third Place, Best Large Game Map; 3rd Place, Team Game Map; 3rd Place Tie, Most Original
Cuban Missile Crisis, 7(2/1/0/1) 3rd Place Tie, Most Original; 1st Place, Best New Mapmaker
New Jersey 5(3/0/0/3)Third Place Tie, Best Small Game Map; 3rd Place, Ease of Use; 3rd Place, Best New Mapmaker
Classic Cities: London 5 (2/0/1/1) Third Place Tie, Best Small Game Map;2nd Place, Ease of Use
Kingdom of Denmark 5(2/0/1/1) Third Place Tie, Best Small Game Map; 2nd Place, Best New Mapmaker
Patch Wars 4 (1/0/1/0) 2nd Place, Most Original
Classic Cities: Pot Mosbi 4 (2/0/0/2)3rd Place, Graphics; 3rd Place Tie, Gameplay
MagyarorszƔg (0)
Istanbul (0)
Classic Cities: Jakarta (0)
Classic Cities: Sydney (0)
Copenhagen (0)
1982 (0)
Rail Asia (0)
Africa II - SOS Africa Reward Map (0)
Island of Doom (0)

This has inspired my FORTY-FIFTH tournament: The Forgotten Nine
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 pm

I felt a little bit about not voting this year. I was a bit busy in RL. But seeing the whole list here, I know that it is better that I didn't vote, as there are so many that I have had almost no contact with. It does give me a list of maps I should try, though.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Armandolas on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am

Can i have a full list of results?
Images are broken
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Armandolas wrote:Can i have a full list of results?
Images are broken

koontz has been gone a long time, and I believe he was the only one with the files.

The best you're likely to get is what was posted in my post above.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Armandolas on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 am

Would you like to do the 2014 Map awards together with me?Or yourself..i can help.
It would be nice . Maybe it could help to draw some attention to the foundry,etc
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Armandolas wrote:Would you like to do the 2014 Map awards together with me?Or yourself..i can help.
It would be nice . Maybe it could help to draw some attention to the foundry,etc

If you put something together, I will be happy to mention it in the Dispatch. Other than that, I can offer no help. I'm already stretched too thin.

I'll give what support I can with headlines and publicity.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Armandolas on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:19 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Armandolas wrote:Would you like to do the 2014 Map awards together with me?Or yourself..i can help.

If you put something together, I will be happy to mention it in the Dispatch. Other than that, I can offer no help. I'm already stretched too thin.

I will try to do something nice. But ill need your help. Just advice wise ;)
Just some guidelines on where to start. Wich forum should i use to create the thread, what kind of info,etc, just something like if it was you..how would you do it?
Feel free to drop me a pm if u think this is a good a idea. I will be glad to do it ;)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:07 am

Armandolas wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I will try to do something nice. But ill need your help. Just advice wise ;)
Just some guidelines on where to start. Wich forum should i use to create the thread, what kind of info,etc, just something like if it was you..how would you do it?
Feel free to drop me a pm if u think this is a good a idea. I will be glad to do it ;)

I would start the thread right here in this forum. Seems the best place to start.

Ask Red Baron to sticky it and headline it.

When koontz did it, he used an survey website, surveymonkey.com, I think.

That gives you more flexibility. The poll option built-in to CC only allows you to ask one question at a time; surveymonkey allows you to ask all your categories at once.

If you want separate categories and you want to stay with the built-in polls, (ie. "best small map" "best large map" etc.) it's still possible. Then I think the best thing would be to run polls for short periods. After each period is up, you copy the results to the OP and re-set the poll. So if you have 5 questions to ask and you want to do this in 60 days, each question is in the poll for 12 days.

Still, surveymonkye or some other survey site will simplify all that and make it possible to ask all the questions at once, so I would go that way. You may have trouble getting people to come back over and over again every time you reset the poll.

Ask RebBaron if he has any leftover prizes in his departmental slush fund. Then you can offer a prize or two for people who vote. Always have some kind of "early bird" prize for people who do it quickly.

Be prepared to spam the shit out of it. Even stickied and headlined, it's tough to get people into the forums. Spam your clan, your friends, your tournament lists, and don't forget to ask the mapmakers to help. They should be showing an interest in this.

I'll be happy to mention your OP in the Dispatch, as well as your results once the polling is done.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Armandolas on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks for the tips mate. Ill probably be doing it in the end of the year :)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby jigger1986 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Armandolas wrote:Thanks for the tips mate. Ill probably be doing it in the end of the year :)

If I can help with anything please let me known, Ive been looking for something to do.
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions