Conquer Club

#GCCM The make a map time is upon us.

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: #GCCM [Week 6 - Bonuses] [Competition Post 2]

Postby mint-murray on Sat May 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Yup, was a bitch.
Major mint-murray

Re: #GCCM Week 7 Game play - Last chance to vote.

Postby CJ Lues on Sat May 18, 2013 12:26 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Second place goes to CJ Lues who only lost by 4 points.

Just 4..! :geek:

koontz1973 wrote:Here are the maps, graphics produced by CJ. Thanks for that, makes my life a lot easier. :D

My pleasure! :D

RjBeals wrote:Nice wooden fence from CJ - probably a little more realistic to the map, rather than a stone/cement wall.

Thanx for the complements mate! Your are also pretty good! :)
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby betiko on Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Yes, don t know about you guys but for me this week was the hardest.... A bit disappointed to see that I m second out of 3, therefore the only one to get a single medal out of the correct answers! :? But thanks koontz for all your events, you worked your ass out to keep up such a pace!
Major betiko

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 pm

betiko wrote: But thanks koontz for all your events, you worked your ass out to keep up such a pace!

Your welcome Betiko.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Sun May 19, 2013 8:31 am

betiko wrote:Yes, don t know about you guys but for me this week was the hardest.... A bit disappointed to see that I m second out of 3, therefore the only one to get a single medal out of the correct answers! :? But thanks koontz for all your events, you worked your ass out to keep up such a pace!

I waited to 17:59:59 my time (Koontz deadline for the Last One contest) to submit the list of maps. I found them few days earlier, but as Koontz said, the first answer was in 4-5 days ago, so for two medals it had to be sent 1 second before the deadline :)
Captain dakky21

Postby betiko on Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 am

dakky21 wrote:
betiko wrote:Yes, don t know about you guys but for me this week was the hardest.... A bit disappointed to see that I m second out of 3, therefore the only one to get a single medal out of the correct answers! :? But thanks koontz for all your events, you worked your ass out to keep up such a pace!

I waited to 17:59:59 my time (Koontz deadline for the Last One contest) to submit the list of maps. I found them few days earlier, but as Koontz said, the first answer was in 4-5 days ago, so for two medals it had to be sent 1 second before the deadline :)

Yeah thought about doing that too, but gambled on the fact that no one else would ve found all the correct answers and that I would be last..
Major betiko

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 19, 2013 8:58 am

Honestly guys, now that you have found the place and have been around, I hope you stay as well and help the map makers out. This was fun and lots of medals have been handed out, but for things like this to continue, an upturn in players, helpers, commentators on maps needs to go up. betiko, you are a frigging colonel with nearly 5000 games played. Surely you can help out with game play. If you see something not to your liking, get in there and point it out to the map maker. And if they do not see it your way, bitch about it. dakky, same goes for you. But with you, you have proven some skill with graphics over the last two contests. I hope you enter the main one but even if you do not, hang around and comment on the maps. We all have something to bring to the table and the more that come, the better our maps are.

koontz

Last bit of news.

SaMejoHn won the last clan event.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Don't worry, you've given me enough motivation to stay and enter contests and bitch about map not being as I want it : :mrgreen:
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 am

Before now for the 2nd group of voters.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:22 am

Going through the pages now to get the second group of voters. Only the first 20 pages done for now.
show: Group 2 voters
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm

And I'm having battle with Photoshop. :lol:
Captain dakky21

Postby betiko on Tue May 28, 2013 6:40 am

I Will try to but unfortunately have no photo editing skills and 0 mapmaker experience..
Major betiko

Postby dakky21 on Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 pm

betiko wrote:I Will try to but unfortunately have no photo editing skills and 0 mapmaker experience..

That is no excuse :) I fall into your category too, but did some awesome work by now and learning Photo editing software is cool!
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 30, 2013 11:48 pm

dakky21 wrote:
betiko wrote:I Will try to but unfortunately have no photo editing skills and 0 mapmaker experience..

That is no excuse :) I fall into your category too, but did some awesome work by now and learning Photo editing software is cool!

And it is also a great hobby.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:48 am

Everyone doing their maps or why did this thread die :)
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:23 am

People are making maps I hope. I know of three maps. Hoping at least one carto hops on board and a couple more. Would be nice to see at least 5 maps in the end for judging.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby pamoa on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:31 pm

then make sure everyone knows it
by editing first post and title
putting the parameters first and loud
and making sure everyone it is now a mapmaking competition
not some side stuff to win medals
it is not clear what mapmaker should do
Cadet pamoa

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 pm

pamoa wrote:then make sure everyone knows it
by editing first post and title
putting the parameters first and loud
and making sure everyone it is now a mapmaking competition
not some side stuff to win medals
it is not clear what mapmaker should do

good point and have done this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: #GCCM The make a map time is upon us.

Postby macbone on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing these maps, but if we don't get a workable one, is it possible to commission a mapmaker to make it using the parameters decided in the polls? I have very little ability in map design, and I don't know who all is working on maps, but I for one would like to see the winning map have the appeal of a Pelopponesian war or a Stalingrad (not similar gameplay, of course, but with the potential to achieve the same level of popularity).
Colonel macbone

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:08 pm

macbone wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing these maps, but if we don't get a workable one, is it possible to commission a mapmaker to make it using the parameters decided in the polls? I have very little ability in map design, and I don't know who all is working on maps, but I for one would like to see the winning map have the appeal of a Pelopponesian war or a Stalingrad (not similar gameplay, of course, but with the potential to achieve the same level of popularity).

Yes, we will get a map out of this. But if none of the contest maps get made in the end, someone will step in and take over the drawing. After we have a winner, that map will then be allowed time in the foundry. If it fails, second map comes in, if that fails third map comes in. So on and so on.

As for being popular, that can only come down to what comes into the contest and how much feedback the map maker gets when in the foundry.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby jonofperu on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm working on a map, but I'm wondering if we could make it a truly collaborative effort and recruit a team of artists to polish the final product? Hand out some GA or GC medals? I have fun with Photoshop and get lots of map ideas, but when it comes down to drawing a Dragon or an orc, I'm out of my league...
Major jonofperu

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 am

jonofperu wrote:I'm working on a map, but I'm wondering if we could make it a truly collaborative effort and recruit a team of artists to polish the final product? Hand out some GA or GC medals? I have fun with Photoshop and get lots of map ideas, but when it comes down to drawing a Dragon or an orc, I'm out of my league...

This is why I said the cartos will offer all reasonable help. They can point you in the right direction, but you need to do the work.

As you are using photoshop, most of the cartos use it so any guidance you need to polish it of can be given. Some of the best tutorials on the web can be found on youtube and the cartographers guild.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby macbone on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:57 am

Koontz, it'd be cool if some of the maps that don't win also go through the Foundry. It was fun for the community to participate in this map-making, and I hope we see more of these in the future. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:00 am

macbone wrote:Koontz, it'd be cool if some of the maps that don't win also go through the Foundry. It was fun for the community to participate in this map-making, and I hope we see more of these in the future. =)

They all will. The winning map from the voting stage will be allowed the foundry to it self for a while. As soon as it looks like it will go into play, the others will be allowed to be worked on without restrictions (competition guidelines). This is because if the original winning map stalls (per foundry guidelines), second place map will become the winning map.

No prizes will be awarded till the winning map gets into beta stage. That could be first, second or even third place map. Out of the 5, most are made by brand new makers.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Armandolas on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Sry..ive been a bit away from this nice competition. Ive noticed we are voting now for 5 maps, so no new maps can be submitted to the comp?
Cheers
Colonel Armandolas

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions