Standing out in the crowd...

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Standing out in the crowd...

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 am

While those stats are interesting, we all know that there is only one Arm's race type map. How many simple maps are there?So using the logic Arm's race vs all simple maps... We have a clear winner?

Just using that as an example.... I can paint the numbers anyway you like, but simple maps rule the roost hands down. The players of complex maps are more into them(total games played per player), but simple map players tend to play more maps of the same type.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby conde180711 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:18 am

i see your point totally, i play complex maps and simple maps, if im honest though most of the complex maps i play i learnt the map for clan games. For a "fun" game id probably look for a team game on quad cities / iberia, something like that, which are far from complex. If i hadnt got into the clan scene would i be playing the more complex maps, probably not, doesnt mean to say i dont enjoy them now though.
Colonel conde180711
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:35 am

I think most all vets enjoy the complex maps at times. I do , but I am a simple maps person. With that said far, far more people who come and go are turned off by complex maps. Nobody wants to play 10 games on shit settings and odd maps and win 0. That does not make people wanna stay. I was always a firm believer in the fact every map for a new player should be simple until after game 10 or so..
Major Bruceswar

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby conde180711 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 am

i agree totally, even 10 games wouldnt be enough for some totally new players i would say
Colonel conde180711
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Aleena on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 am

Players have the option to either join a game or start a game - if their is no simple game for a noob (like me) to join and if that is what I want to be playing, then all I need to do is start one of my own..

The most common map is the classic map - and if I was a noob that prefer basic simple game play - then most likely I'd start with and maybe stick with for a small while - the classic map - for that is what a non-ambitious, non-challenge seeker would be use too...

But do not limit it for anyone - since I'm more of an actual gamer and adventure seeker then the standard Joe - and I'd hate it if I did not have at least the option to play some games that where a little more creative and imaginative. It's ok if I lose a lot, for over all it's a game - and we should not be sour losers, but try to learn from our miss-steppes and be come more tactically savy at the art of war.

But true for those elementary kids, maybe we should at least add a filter that will allow them to find the variations of the kiddie versions of this game. (the simple maps - for the simple players)
Private 1st Class Aleena

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Aleena wrote:Players have the option to either join a game or start a game - if their is no simple game for a noob (like me) to join and if that is what I want to be playing, then all I need to do is start one of my own..

The most common map is the classic map - and if I was a noob that prefer basic simple game play - then most likely I'd start with and maybe stick with for a small while - the classic map - for that is what a non-ambitious, non-challenge seeker would be use too...

But do not limit it for anyone - since I'm more of an actual gamer and adventure seeker then the standard Joe - and I'd hate it if I did not have at least the option to play some games that where a little more creative and imaginative. It's ok if I lose a lot, for over all it's a game - and we should not be sour losers, but try to learn from our miss-steppes and be come more tactically savy at the art of war.

But true for those elementary kids, maybe we should at least add a filter that will allow them to find the variations of the kiddie versions of this game. (the simple maps - for the simple players)

Here are some hard numbers for you... There have been 12,937,988 games on CC x 4(players in each) since it started in 2006... 645,169 total users. If you take the number of games total / number of users.. you come with about 80 games each.. Now conidering the top 250 players have played right at 2.5 million of those games, then your number goes down to 64 games per player... And the next 250 players have played about 1.75 million

So the top 500 players have played 4.25 million games... Leaving about or so for the rest.. That comes out to about 60 games each.... 100 players have retired that would be in the top 500, so 600 players have played roughly 9% of all of CC games. Top 1100 or so players have played 7,175,00 of those games. That is accounting for the retired people in the top 500... Leaving 57 games each for the rest of the 644,000 or so people.

See where I am going with this?

It means CC is not keeping players long enough or keeping players at all. That means players are confused when they join, not willing to learn complex maps, and impatient about things. Your average player just clicks on join a game and that is that. They pick one of the first games and go from there.
Last edited by Bruceswar on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Bruceswar

Postby Aleena on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Apples and oranges....

A + B does not all ways equal C

What I get out of your numbers is that CC is not retaining players....
But why are they not retaining players is not clear...
I think your making a huge jump from these numbers to the fault being complex maps...

Maybe they are not retaining players because these Turn Base style games are a little out-dated and that their are 1,000's of other war sights that offer either Command Point turns or Time Based Turns where players do not have to wait so long to make their move... One of my favorite games that seem to retain a lot of players is Supremacy1914 which is a board-like game like this - but a lot more advanced.... I do not see many of those players giving this site more then a week or so...

Maybe the reason is because basic players can only play 4 maps at a time - and that does not seem to provide them with enough desired game play experience per day as they wish - (got to win them over first before you expect them to pay to play) - Supremacy allows all players (new or not) to run up to 50 games at once which as you can imagine can fill a good amount of one's daily play time.

Maybe the are not retaining because their is a average percentage of # of players that will die off or move on - naturally - and do to the poor promotion of this site - they do not get an equal or greater number of new members daily to match this? I'd be interested is seeing what the % of new players per month now verses that of 4 years ago....

There are 100's of reasons why players will leave a game site and to focus that reason on complex games with out really having any solid feed back or evidence supporting that reason is a poor way to guide the future of this site, even though I know you mean well. Honestly - the game play even on the simple maps are at most fair... And if I was not so wrapped up in the designing facet of making a map - (which most war gamers will not be) - I most likely would of left this site after playing 6 or 8 games myself - (and if and when I abandon this site it will have nothing to do with complex maps - which I'm sure goes the same with many before me) - for there are much better war sites then this...

It does not mean that this site does not have a future - it just means they have an uphill battle to outshine themselves from the millions of other game options out there....
Private 1st Class Aleena

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Return to Foundry Discussions