Conquer Club

Foundryworkers' Clan (moved to gimil's thread)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Foundryworkers' Clan (moved to gimil's thread)

Postby oaktown on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 pm

I'm not volunteering to lead such a thing, but with the renewed push to create clans I was wondering if anyone is interested in creating a clan for those of us who rarely (if ever) venture beyond the Foundry? I'm not sure what the criteria for entry would be... already have a map in play? Map in production? Anybody interested? That's for somebody else to figure out.

As for the whole idea of clans, i could take it or leave it myself... I already spend enough hours at this site. But it would be nice to have a forum in which to create pick-up games with other foundry members so we can talk shop while we actually play.

Potential clan names are many: foundryworkers, cartographers clan, photoshop junkies, slave labor, quench it crew, banana pickers.

My personal favorite so far: Pixel Pushers.
Last edited by oaktown on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain oaktown

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:35 pm

I like the idea.

Hmm, your qualifications might be a little tough for me.

0 maps in Quenched/Production
0 maps in Final Forge
0 maps in Map Foundry
0 maps in Map Ideas
0 cartography skills

I'm good to go !!!

Pixel Pushers is a good name.

Design Debaters? Graphics Gurus? Map Making Militants? I DON'T LIKE IT? Let's Make a Poll?

Personally, I like Map Making Militants.
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby bloknayrb on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:44 pm

Heh, that's an awesome idea, but yeah, the criteria for being allowed to join would have to be thought out, you can't just allow people who have maps in play because that would make for a pretty small clan. Of course, that could be the idea...
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:15 am

Pixel Pushers is pretty good...but I'd have to say Banana Pickers is the best. But I might be biased...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby militant on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 am

I would like to be in a clan for mapmakers, because this the only forum i visit , although i have no experiance i have loads of ideas. It would be a shame to only have the most experienced.

Map Making Militants?

I like the above name for obvious reasons :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby Wisse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:01 am

if i can join then its ok :P
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:45 am

i'm not interested in a map makers clan (because i'm already part of a clan) but i can see a good opportunity here.

remember when some map makers asked for a private place to talk about xml and special ideas and stuff like that? a place where we could share ideas and get immediate help from fellow map makers before posting it in the foundry?

this could be that chance because clans receive their own special sub forum.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby spinwizard on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:07 am

DiM wrote:i'm not interested in a map makers clan (because i'm already part of a clan) but i can see a good opportunity here.

remember when some map makers asked for a private place to talk about xml and special ideas and stuff like that? a place where we could share ideas and get immediate help from fellow map makers before posting it in the foundry?

I remember that :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby onbekende on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:12 am

a specialm forum :D

can I join, you need a resident spammer :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Telvannia on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:36 am

Andy's Army. :lol:

sounds fun, i want in on this :D
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:06 am

Telvannia wrote:sounds fun, i want in on this :D

me too...i'll be in on this one...since we are making a clan and since we are all part of a little army sts, how about Graphic Grunts....plenty of ammo there for others to have a go at us about the name...could be loads of fun.

EDIT\\\ Grafx Grunts maybe
Last edited by cairnswk on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:07 am

DiM wrote:i'm not interested in a map makers clan (because i'm already part of a clan) but i can see a good opportunity here.

yeah i like your idea dim
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby gimil on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:11 am

Im in on this as well :D

id like to mod it as well if no one has any objections. 8)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:41 am

gimil, if you want to take this on by all means do... I'm just the idea man on this one.

Post your name suggestions and make comments on others' suggestions in the next eight or so hours and I'll put up a poll with whatever seem to be the most popular names.
Captain oaktown

Postby I GOT SERVED on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:48 am

This is a cool idea. I'd definitly be in the clan, but there'd have to be some very lenient criteria, as I'm in the same boat as Aerial Attack....

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby rebelman on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 am

Folks I have one small reservation about this clan otherwise its a good idea. you guys already tend to hide away in here and rarely come out to see the light of day or allow the rest of us in much for that matter !! If you had your own forum - I would be afraid a lot of what is happening in here at the moment would move there thus making the whole process even less inclusive than it already is. This foundry could become just a pr exercise and all the real work would move to your new private forum. that would be a very backward step in my opinion.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby gimil on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:08 am

The intention is a palce where cartographers can hand out. If i was t moderate i owuld ensure that no bulk of teh process was done in private out of foundry view. after all the whole point of mapmaking is to make something that te comunity wants. :wink:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:24 am

Banana pickers and andys army are good ones.

Ialso like cartographers lounge,

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:34 am

I agree that it could deteriorate into Foundry light, unless we are clear about the intentions and we have a strong mod. My thinking was to have a place for the foundry regulars to talk about something OTHER than the specifics of the maps we're making, because we already have that.

Primarily, I'd like to be able to get games going with the people I see around the forum all the time, because those games would have a certain flavor. Mapmakers can get games going on their own maps, and during those games we can talk shop about how the map plays. For instance, I'd love to be in on some early Western Front games with Qwert so we can discuss how England is playing in the actual game chat. Likewise, once Berlin goes live I'd like to 'field test' it with other foundry regulars without having to set up up private games and then figure out who to invite. It would be much easier to just have a clan pword and post the game numbers in our forum.

It could also be a place to have more general talk about graphics/photoshop etc. If I'm trying to achieve something in photoshop I could post it there for the photoshop junkies, rather than putting it in my map thread where it may never be seen.

And if Pixel Pushers doesn't win as the name, I'd like to suggest a slogan:
It's not the size of your map, it's how you push your pixels.
Last edited by oaktown on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain oaktown

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:34 am

I'm down.

as for names, how about "An Animated Description of Mr. Maps"
Captain mibi

Postby rebelman on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 am

this clan should have no problem finding a sig. maker :lol:
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby gimil on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:56 am

rebelman wrote:this clan should have no problem finding a sig. maker :lol:

acctually that might be a problem . . . .

:lol:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:51 am

here's more thought into this whole clan thing.

IDEAS BEHIND THE CREATION OF THE CLAN:

1. some people here setup test games for xml features and stuff like that. for example i have played games with yeti_c coleman and gimil to test yeti_c's version of BOB. games that could have been easier setup and discussed in a dedicated thread. but making a thread like that in the foundry would be kinda hard because lots of people would come by and post unrelated things.

2. i have ideas of maps even i think are too outrageous. i discuss them via pm or mail with other people but if i had a place where to post them it would be great. a place where map makers and foundry regulars can post about my ideas without strangers coming and posting crap.

3. i will start a business of making posters (soon i hope) and i'd like to put them in a thread and get advice from people that know photoshop. i can't put them in the foundry because i'd be offtopic and i can't put them in the clubhouse because a guy that never used photoshop could say they're great but a skilled map maker could point out potential flaws and even give solutions.

4. and last but not least it would be a great way to meet fellow map makers setup games and chat.

5. the foundry will not deteriorate because i assume andy cairns and coleman will also be a part of this clan and they won't allow anybody to make a map and then put it in the foundry and ask for quenching. the map will still have to go through the whole process.

RANKS:

i for one don't quite like rank based clans unless all the ranks are funny stuff. so no military type divisions and ranking and shit like that.

of course we need a few mods (i nominate the same guys we have in the foundry)

ADMISSION:

1. anybody that has a map quenched or in FF is automatically admited
2. all other applications are submitted to the whole clan and after voting the application is rejected or accepted. there are plenty of foundry regulars that deserve to be in this clan but that doesn't mean that every guy that posted once in the foundry should be accepted.
3. all members can belong to other clans.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gnome on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am

DiM wrote:here's more thought into this whole clan thing.

IDEAS BEHIND THE CREATION OF THE CLAN:

1. some people here setup test games for xml features and stuff like that. for example i have played games with yeti_c coleman and gimil to test yeti_c's version of BOB. games that could have been easier setup and discussed in a dedicated thread. but making a thread like that in the foundry would be kinda hard because lots of people would come by and post unrelated things.

2. i have ideas of maps even i think are too outrageous. i discuss them via pm or mail with other people but if i had a place where to post them it would be great. a place where map makers and foundry regulars can post about my ideas without strangers coming and posting crap.

3. i will start a business of making posters (soon i hope) and i'd like to put them in a thread and get advice from people that know photoshop. i can't put them in the foundry because i'd be offtopic and i can't put them in the clubhouse because a guy that never used photoshop could say they're great but a skilled map maker could point out potential flaws and even give solutions.

4. and last but not least it would be a great way to meet fellow map makers setup games and chat.

5. the foundry will not deteriorate because i assume andy cairns and coleman will also be a part of this clan and they won't allow anybody to make a map and then put it in the foundry and ask for quenching. the map will still have to go through the whole process.

RANKS:

i for one don't quite like rank based clans unless all the ranks are funny stuff. so no military type divisions and ranking and shit like that.

of course we need a few mods (i nominate the same guys we have in the foundry)

ADMISSION:

1. anybody that has a map quenched or in FF is automatically admited
2. all other applications are submitted to the whole clan and after voting the application is rejected or accepted. there are plenty of foundry regulars that deserve to be in this clan but that doesn't mean that every guy that posted once in the foundry should be accepted.
3. all members can belong to other clans.

I agree completely :wink:
I'd like to be in this if we can work easier on maps and ideas!
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:04 am

Gnome wrote:I agree completely :wink:
I'd like to be in this if we can work easier on maps and ideas!

well you already qualify for an admission and yes i think this would be a really good place for exchanging ideas about maps and techniques in photoshop.

also since i received a warning for posting graphical help in other people's maps (stupid warning) i feel somehow like i have my hands tied behind my back.

i look at a map and see something wrong but since english is not my first language i find it hard to explain so it's easier to whip something up in photoshop and post that. well since it's forbdden in the foundry i could easily do it in the clan subforum without fearing another warning and possibly a ban.
Major DiM

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions