Conquer Club

How To Deal With Coleman In The Foundry

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How To Deal With Coleman In The Foundry

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:49 pm

How To Escape Map Ideas

Coleman uses the following topic to decide when maps can leave Map Ideas: How Maps Progress Through The Foundry

Coleman likes lists though, so he has actually transformed that topic into a checklist:

Basic Requirements

1) The map, first and for most, must have some sort of clear plan of how production will go.
2) The map must have a working image (either of the small or large map).
3) This working image must be beyond the ‘rough draft’ state.
4) The working image can’t be a pencil/paper drawing or an MS paint image.
5) There needs to be at least two quality updates to the map before it can move.

Information Requirements

1) The number of territories currently on the map.
2) The number of continents. (If this makes sense for your map)
3) Descriptions of any unique features or areas.

Title Requirements

1) The page with the latest development of production. (I.E. ‘Update – Pg 3')
2) No use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or “quotes” instead.

More Specific Image Requirements

1) A Working Legend
2) Speculative Bonuses
3) Tentative Border Divisions
4) Territory Names
5) Impassible Barriers
6) Color
7) Textures
8) Aesthetic Images (compasses, picture designs, etc if they make sense for your map)
9) Background Image(s) (ocean or something to discriminate the playing field if it makes sense for your map)
10) A map should be ‘inherently unique either in game play, location, or style’.
11) A map must provide balanced game play.
12) Every effort should be made to acquire express written consent for a map based on Copyrighted works. This is your responsibility, not ours.
13) Host the image using Photobucket.com or Imageshack.com.
14) The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG.
15) The map must have some honest and interested discussion.
15) Must Fit Size Requirements:

* For the initial version, you must design either of two versions of the map:
    1. SMALL MAP: WIDTH up to 600 px; HEIGHT recommended to not to exceed 350 px but no greater than 600 px

2. LARGE MAP: WIDTH up to 800 px and must be at least 100 px wider than the small map; HEIGHT recommended to not exceed 600 px but no greater than 800 px. Keep in mind if the map is too high, players have to scroll down to attack.

3. NOTE: A large map must be noticably larger than their small map, if you must have specifics 9% larger is required but 33.3% (1/3rd) is recommended.
* Extenuating Size Circumstances may exist for some maps. If a map contains a large number of territories and additional pixels are required for design purpose, a small width and/or height area may be added to the maximum dimensions. Authorisation for this addition must be sought from Andy Dufresne or the Cartography Assistant/s, with a good explanation of why the extra dimensions are needed.
    1. SMALL MAP: WIDTH not to exceed 630 px; HEIGHT not to exceed 600 px.

2. LARGE MAP: WIDTH not to exceed 840 px; HEIGHT not to exceed 800 px.

Becoming Final Forged

All the requirements above must continue to be met. In addition...

1) Both images must be available.
2) All comments made toward your map by anyone must be either met or adequately refuted. (If they are not adequately refuted assume that Coleman will tell you.)
3) Some indication that the foundry (anyone willing to post about your map) is satisfied must occur.
    a) A lot of people start requesting a forge and there are no other comments for about a day.
    b) Nobody says anything for 2 days.
When that happens Coleman will let Andy know and if Andy is satisfied your map will be moved into Final Forge. This process may be nearly instantaneous or it may take some time. This is not a guide to dealing with Andy though.

Quench Time?

Let's get right to it, Everything above and...

1) The xml must be complete. (Finished and working as intended)
2) The naming in the xml must satisfy the foundry.
3) Anything that can be construed as an error in the image must be removed. (Stray pixels, odd dimensions, ect)

When all that happens Coleman tells Andy, if Andy is satisfied he will Quench the map. After that it is in lackattack's hands. This all could take some time. Usually it takes 3 days from quench to be in play, but it can and has taken longer.

Other Stuff

Coleman likes people that help themselves. If you don't like how far down your map is on the page post. Do not bump though, post something constructive, or interesting.

If you need something updated in an index topic or you need a poll removed pm Coleman. Don't pm Andy.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:55 pm

ok.. but how do we deal with your avatar?
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:07 pm

mibi wrote:ok.. but how do we deal with your avatar?

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36229
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Gilligan on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Uh...Why can't brackets be used out of curiosity?
Captain Gilligan

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:15 pm

Gilligan wrote:Uh...Why can't brackets be used out of curiosity?
We use brackets to display our tags, so we don't want your tags to be confused with moderator tags.
Sergeant Coleman

Re: How To Deal With Coleman In The Foundry

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:17 pm

Coleman wrote:7) Textures
8) Aesthetic Images (compasses, picture designs, etc if they

Are these really necessary, it is only map ideas?
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby bryguy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:20 pm

what of coleman comes to your map and then ignores it??
Corporal bryguy

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Bad Speler wrote:
Coleman wrote:7) Textures
8) Aesthetic Images (compasses, picture designs, etc if they

Are these really necessary, it is only map ideas?
Depends. It's mostly at my discretion. If I wanted to I could say that your map doesn't look good enough to move yet and quote some of these from the "How Maps Progress Through The Foundry Topic".

This often isn't necessary, but I believe Elijah and Unit_2 off the top of my head needed me to bring it up before I could move them.

If your map doesn't strike me as looking terrible without texture or having a large blank open space for no reason I probably won't bring it up.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

bryguy wrote:what of coleman comes to your map and then ignores it??
Direct me to the map via pm. I usually respond quickly. If I don't it means I needed to confirm something with another moderator first.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby bryguy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Coleman wrote:
Direct me to the map via pm. I usually respond quickly. If I don't it means I needed to confirm something with another moderator first.

ok cause its for that prydain map ive been working on, i asked a question like a week (or 2 or 3) ago and nobody has responded (meaning u or the other person who went there)
Corporal bryguy

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:29 pm

bryguy wrote:
Coleman wrote:

ok cause its for that prydain map ive been working on, i asked a question like a week (or 2 or 3) ago and nobody has responded (meaning u or the other person who went there)

What probably happened was I just missed it. There is a lot of stuff floating around. The more you bug me the better off you'll be. I don't like just bump posts very much. Usually if you write something like, "Why hasn't anyone responded to me yet?" it still serves as a bump and helps me identify why you might be double posting. Bump isn't very descriptive.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby bryguy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Coleman wrote:
bryguy wrote:
Coleman wrote:

What probably happened was I just missed it. There is a lot of stuff floating around. The more you bug me the better off you'll be. I don't like just bump posts very much. Usually if you write something like, "Why hasn't anyone responded to me yet?" it still serves as a bump and helps me identify why you might be double posting. Bump isn't very descriptive.

ok thanks
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 pm

sheesh I get coleman to take attention to Prydain map of mine, and then i give V.2 and he starts posting at any board BUT mine :x

how do i deal with THIS????
Corporal bryguy

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:14 pm

use this stick *hands bryguy a stick i found outside* and go give him a good rap on the head
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Coleman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 pm

I have to prioritize when my life dictates that I only have an hour to do things. Patience is a virtue, lack of this virtue may result in me taking longer to get to you then I might otherwise because I'm an ass.

Lesson for the day, Coleman is first and foremost an ass.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Return to Foundry Discussions