Conquer Club

Working Around The Language Barrier

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Working Around The Language Barrier

Postby Coleman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:54 am

The Spanish community put a Spain map together. http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33168

I have a feeling because of the language barrier this can't proceed through the process like a normal map would.

What do you guys think we should do about this? The map author doesn't understand our comments most likely but the Spain map looks very high quality already and would likely be a great addition to the site if it could get through our process.

I'm really at a loss, but if we could come up with some standard for this kind of situation it could be really helpful now and into the future.
Last edited by Coleman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:08 am

And I thought this topic was going to be one of Internationalisation of the maps...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby rebelman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:01 am

im sure one of the necro. threads i looked at yesterday covered this topic very well with a very snsible policy included in it - hold on i will go find it

necro thread regarding languages

the above Spanish map looks very well in my opinion has anyone checked if what was suggested on the thread that it may be copied is correct or not ?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Coleman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:13 am

We can't determine if it has been copied from somewhere or not. None of us speak enough Spanish to ask the author. I haven't been able to find one online that looks like it though.

We can't put the map through the process as normal because the author can't respond to our suggestions for change.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:16 am

Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby rebelman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:19 am

Coleman wrote:We can't determine if it has been copied from somewhere or not. None of us speak enough Spanish to ask the author. Which is kind of where the problem is here.

We can't put the map through the process as normal because the author can't respond to our suggestions for change.

i have a bit of very basic spanish so i could possibly help but as far as i recall wiki is fairly fluent in Spanish - maybe you could get her assistance, I also think Tisha has Spanish if you wanted the assistance of another map maker. (you get to see people's language skills a bit if you hang out in live chat)
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby mibi on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:40 am

Whats the problem?

El mapa es buena, pero la bonificación podría utilizar un cuadro de frontera. También habrá números ejército y los círculos de proceder. Algunas zonas de mirar un poco apretados.
Captain mibi

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 am

mibi wrote:Whats the problem?

El mapa es buena, pero la bonificación podría utilizar un cuadro de frontera. También habrá números ejército y los círculos de proceder. Algunas zonas de mirar un poco apretados.

Lol, que se utilizan durante todo el día
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:07 am

oh i have done it! i have figured out a way to understand all the spanish speakers in the spanish forum!

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... en&ie=UTF8

and yes that is the spanish forum

oh and this is from googletranslator, just thought i would let u know

oh and even though it SAYS your logged out your not

and if u want to know what something says in spanish then hover your mouse over it
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:54 pm

Estoy de acuerdo contigo, mibi. Hay problemas (como los colores), pero éste mapa debe progesar.

The map was posted in English by darth emperor, suggesting that they are willing to proceed through the foundry in English.

And as for nobody speaking enough spanish to ask the author where the map came from, exactly what methods have you tried? Seems like somebody should be able to manage this pretty easily. Mibi seems pretty solid, and I can give it a try.
Captain oaktown

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:01 pm

oaktown wrote:

Estoy de acuerdo contigo, mibi. Hay problemas (como los colores), pero éste mapa debe progesar.

The map was posted in English by darth emperor, suggesting that they are willing to proceed through the foundry in English.

And as for nobody speaking enough spanish to ask the author where the map came from, exactly what methods have you tried? Seems like somebody should be able to manage this pretty easily. Mibi seems pretty solid, and I can give it a try.

why dont i give it a try? or you try my link??? its a whole lot easier to read the spanish forum when its in english
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:14 pm

bryguy wrote:why dont i give it a try? or you try my link??? its a whole lot easier to read the spanish forum when its in english

The trouble isn't the language - all of which I can read - so much as the fact that we have no production history on the map. Most foundry projects begin looking like crap, and we get to watch the transformation. This one appeared out of nowhere, even in the Spanish forum. Two months ago somebody suggested a Spain map be made, and yesterday somebody posted a very polished product.
Captain oaktown

Return to Foundry Discussions