Conquer Club

Map Information Project [Moderated]

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Scotland

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:21 am

Scotland by Balsiefen (gameplay), Oaktown (graphics)
Creation Topic: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14265
Number of Territories: 40
Number of Continents: 7
Gameplay Features: Capitals, Collections

Recommended Gameplay Settings: 3-5 player standard, 4 player doubles, flat rate cards. Fog of war leads to interesting although difficult gameplay due to small continents being very easy to hide by occupying territories around them and it being hard to view all cities.

Gameplay Feature Associations:
Capitals - The City territories use this feature

Collections - The City territories use this feature

Map Description:
Scotland Is a real geography map

Scotland is structured with two large continents running down the west mainland, 3 medium sized continents to the east of these and two small, easy to hold continents, one south and one west of the larger continents. There is a large bonus given for holding four cities, three of which are placed in the medium eastern continents and the fourth is placed in a territory connecting to two of them.

The map narrows into a bottleneck in the middle with only two territories dividing north from south in two places. this could lead to the map being split into two equal halves, each of roughly the same value.

These features give plenty of different strategies to take the lead early but also gives chances for the leading player to b e outmanoeuvred and find themselves on the defence.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Re: Map Information Project [Heavily Moderated]

Postby cicero on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 am

== Basic Information ==
'''Created by:''' demonart [?]

'''Creation Thread:''' none [?]

'''Number of Territories:''' 42

'''Number of Continents:''' 6

'''Gameplay Feature:''' None

== Draft Notes ==
This section will be removed as this page nears completion. If you have any suggestions or corrections please PM me.
Items which I am not sure of I have marked "[?]" - again please PM me if you can assist.

== Map Background ==
Classic is based on the single map available in the 'popular world domination game' which Conquer Club is an online multiplayer variation of.

== Recommended Gameplay Settings ==
Standard 6 players, sequential and escalating. [No fog.] This mimics the optimum number of players and standard rules of the 'popular world domination game'.

== Gameplay Feature Associations ==
None.

== Map Description ==
Classic is a real geography map representing the whole world.
Last edited by cicero on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby Coleman on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:37 am

Due to how we are going to implement these it is more helpful if the following format is used in the future: I used Extreme Global Warming as an example.

== Basic Information ==
'''Created by:''' [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=51546 pepperonibread] and [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=81916 HighCommander540]

'''Creation Thread:''' [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15564 Extreme Global Warming]

'''Number of Territories:''' 46

'''Number of Continents:''' 7

'''Gameplay Feature:''' Dead Space

== Accompanying Story ==
Caused by human hands or not, world climate change has caused coastal floods across the globe.

== Map Background ==
Far in the future, increasing temperatures have triggered the melting of the polar ice caps, leading to a huge increase in sea level. In addition, Antarctica is now warm enough to support life, while areas around the equator have become too hot for humans to withstand.

All settings are viable.

Dead Space - The five ports that are spread out across the oceans give no bonus.

== Map Description ==
Extreme Global Warming is a exaggeration of what might happen as the world's temperatures are increased. While a world map like Classic, the addition of ports, Antarctica and the Uninhabitable Zone make the gameplay drastically different.

The ocean ports act as a way to travel around the map. In addition, they are often important for holding bonuses, while giving no extra armies themselves. Antarctica adds to the map in a similar way, but also gives a bonus of 5.

More than anything else, the Uninhabitable Zone affects how the game is played. An impassable border, it splits the map in half through the middle, with the exception of three ocean routes. In the case of Africa, the continent is actually cut into two parts, which cannot attack each other directly, making the ports that connect the halves even more important.

I realize that isn't very forum friendly, but as you may be able to guess, this isn't going to be in a forum per say.

Anyway, it would help me a great deal, and you'll understand better hopefully in a week or two.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:38 am

Should we edit the previous information posts to look like this above or post another?
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:02 am

WidowMakers wrote:Should we edit the previous information posts to look like this above or post another?

i think edit.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Dungeon of Draknor: Level 1 - The Halls of Testing
== Basic Information ==
'''Created by:''' Concept by Jota / Design & XML by WidowMakers

'''Creation Thread:''' http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29184

'''Number of Territories:''' 37

'''Number of Continents:''' 5

'''Gameplay Feature:''' One Way Borders

== Map Background ==
Your sword has had quite a workout today, mowing down the undead minions summoned by the evil sorcerer Draknor to guard his fortress. According to Belegruin, your closest friend and an expert spellcaster, this is the last room before you reach Draknor's lair. While little Garrick -- hired against your better judgement for his quick reflexes and nimble fingers -- checks the final door for traps, you sit back to rest and let the party's healer tend to your wounds.

"Hold it!" shouts Garrick, "It's a trap!"

"Then disable it and pick the lock," you answer wearily. "That's what you're here for."

"No, it's not on the door. It's the whole room. Look at the floor!"

All of you look down. The floor tiles are covered with strange sigils. They mean nothing to you, but Belegruin clearly recognizes them.

"The munchkin is right," he says. "This is a teleportation circle with glyphs of warding around the edges... we're trapped here. This enchantment is too powerful for me to break."

Just then, a deep, maniacal laughter echoes through the chamber. "You thought you might defeat me, adventurers? I am Draknor, the greatest wizard who ever lived! Now you will go where all the others who sought to infiltrate my fortress were sent: into my dungeon maze, a labyrinth of 1-way doors from which there is no escape!

Can you prove yourself worthy by conquering the entire dungeon and making it safely to the next level alive?

Any

One Way Borders-All territories are connected with one way doors.

== Map Description ==
The Dungeon of Draknor-The Halls of Testing is the first level of three, for this map series. Due to the fact that every door is a one way border, the way a player defends and attacks neighboring bonus areas is much trickier than on a standard two way border map.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:48 pm

I've been migrating these to the new system, which I hope will go live soon. Anyway, some information for you all.

Maps I Have Yet To Migrate:
    WWII Eastern Front - Will Soon
    WWII Western Front - Will Soon
    WWII Iowa Jima - Will Soon
    Age of Merchants - Not Enough Info
    Age of Realms: Might - Not Enough Info / Confusing Author Information
    Age of Realms: Magic - Not Enough Info / Confusing Author Information
    Feudal War - Not Enough Info / Confusing Author Information
    Portugal - Will Soon
Maps No Pages Made For:
    Africa
    Alexander's Empire
    Ancient Greece
    Asia
    Australia
    Bamboo Jack
    Battle For Australia
    Battle Of Actium
    BeNeLux
    Berlin 1961
    Brazil
    British Isles
    Cairns Coral Coast
    CCU
    Chinese Checkers
    Crossword
    D-Day: Omaha Beach! (I'll get this one...)
    Discworld
    Doodle Earth
    Dust Bowl (I actually think one was done here, I'll look for it.)
    Europe
    France
    Germany
    Hong Kong
    Ireland
    Italy
    Madness
    Malta
    Middle Earth
    Middle East
    Midkemdil
    Mongol Empire
    North America
    Pearl Harbor
    Philippines
    Puget Sound
    San Francisco
    Siege! (I'll get this one too...)
    Solar System
    Space
    Tamriel
    USA
    USApocalypse
    U.S. Senate
    Valley Of The Kings
    Waterloo
    World 2.1
If you want to make info pages for any of the maps we don't have any for yet, I ask that you start with the older maps where the authors may be hard to contact.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby lanyards on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Map Information Page

Australia Design & XML by KEYOGI
Map Creation Thread: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7900
Number of Territories: 36
Number of Continents: 6
Gameplay Features: N/A

Recommended Gameplay Settings:
    Any
Gameplay Feature Associations:
    None
Map Description:
    The Australia map includes six continents, and a few impassable borders (mountains and rivers.) The map has no difficult gameplay options, so it can be played without confusion.
This is a simple one, but if anybody wants to add anything or change something, feel free to do so.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:04 pm

== Basic Information ==
'''Created by:''' [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=51546 pepperonibread] and [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=62487 lanyards]

'''Creation Thread:''' [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29237 Soviet Union]

'''Number of Territories:''' 53

'''Number of Continents:''' 8 Mod Question: Does Moscow count as a continent? It's not autodeploy, but it is only one territory. If it is, this number should go to 9.

'''Gameplay Features:''' Dead Space, Capitals

== Map Background ==
Officially established by Vladimir Lenin in 1922, the Soviet Union was a powerful communist state throughout the 20th century. By the end of World War II, it had proven itself a world power and a rival of the United States. Although the Soviet Union eventually collapsed as 1991 came to a close, its 70-year existence still effects the world today.

To be determined after quenching.

Dead Space - The three Arctic Islands north of the mainland territories give no bonus if held.
Capitals - The territory Moscow (marked with a star) gives a bonus of +1, which is added to the bonus of the continent European Russia if all of European Russia is held.

== Map Description ==
As a nearly Classic-style map, the Soviet Union is relatively simple and easy to understand. Possessing standard gameplay, with the exception of the Moscow bonus and Arctic Islands, the map has countless strategies. One possible option is to utilize an small continent such as Central Asia as a "base" to expand from, similar to the case of Australia in the Classic map. In addition, chokepoints on both sides of the map can allow many territories to be held with few borders. But as always, develop your own strategies; how you play is up to you.
Corporal pepperonibread

ITALY

Postby RjBeals on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:52 pm

== Basic Information ==
'''Created by:''' [url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29626 Rjbeals]
'''Creation Thread:''' [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9677 Italy]

'''Number of Territories:''' 48

'''Number of Continents:''' 5

'''Gameplay Feature:''' Capitals

== Accompanying Story ==
Recently visited Italy… tons of Italians.

== Map Background ==
Geography

All settings are viable.

Capitals – Additional bonus awarded for occupying key Italian cities. Capital cities are identified in the legend, and as a darker color shade on map.

== Map Description ==
Basic gameplay, keeping true to the Italian geography. Impassable border (Po River) which can only be crossed via the bridges. Water routes connecting territories identified with dotted lines.
Private RjBeals

Dust Bowl

Postby RjBeals on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:16 pm

== Basic Information ==
'''Created by:''' [url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=29626 RjBeals]
'''Creation Thread:''' [http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30869 Dust Bowl]

'''Number of Territories:''' 36

'''Number of Continents:''' 6

'''Gameplay Feature:''' Autodeploy

== Map Background ==
During the eight-year drought of the 1930’s, massive dust storms covered the Southern Plains of the central U.S. Storms blackened the skes and smothered everything in their paths. The worst hit area became known as the “Dust Bowl”

Due to the large negative autodeploy area, more than 6 players is not recommended

Autodeploy – The 12 inner “Dust Bowl” regions are identified in the legend, as well as a darker shade on the map. At the beginning of each turn, each Dust Bowl territory you occupy will lose 1 army, until you reach just 1 man. The luck of where you are dropped when the game starts can seriously impact your strategy. This is not to be confused with “Negative Bonus” as you still receive your full bonus amount.

== Map Description ==
Basic gameplay in a dusty feeling dry map. Bold state borders are Impassable. You can only move between states via the dotted line borders of the Dust Bowl.
Private RjBeals

Re: Map Information Project [Heavily Moderated]

Postby hecter on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:14 pm

France Created by Reverand_Kyle XML by DiM
44 Territories
7 Continents
Includes Impassable Borders

A basic geographical map of the country France.

Any settings play well on this map.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby hecter on Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Middle Earth Created by ticalien and [url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=456]MrConfigT
[/url]

46 Territories
7 Continents
Includes Impassable Borders and One Way Attacks

Based on the Mythical world of J. R. R. Tolkien, Middle Earth allows you do do battle in the land of Elves, Orcs and Wizards.

Any settings play well on this map.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Coleman on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Well I probably got as much help as I'm going to get. I'm detaching this.

Maybe I can talk lack into removing the maps without pages within a week from the site when this system goes live, and letting people know via announcement.

I'm sure that would get me pages pretty fast. :lol:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Coleman last posted in here over a month ago.
Is anyone going to take over this thread? and keep it going.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Map Information Project [Moderated]

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 am

bump now that Coleman is back!

Should we start this topic up again?
I'd be good for one or two pages for the maps that don't have them yet.

I figure that the sooner this stuff gets done, the sooner it will become a reality on the site. Thats always a good thing, right?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Re: Map Information Project [Moderated]

Postby OliverFA on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Hey! That thread is amazing.

Is the project still ongoing? Because I find it really useful!
Private OliverFA

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions