Conquer Club

REVAMPS and TOUCH-UPS

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

REVAMPS and TOUCH-UPS

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Good day foundry!

I would like to announce the return of the REVAMP initiative started by KEYOGI early last year. As many of you will have noticed there has been alot of discussion and flare on the topic which I hope continues in the coming months.

The initiative will run more or less the same as KEYOGI had carried it out but with some improvements and extensions.

REVAMPS

All maps with "out-dated" graphics (i.e. not to the standard the foundry would produced today) will go through a full graphics works by one of the foundry's many cartographers. Each revamp will run under one of two systems:
    • Standard Foundry Process
    • REVAMP Competition Process
"The Standard Foundry Process" will be run for a map in which a cartographer has given permission for their map to go under REVAMP and a suitable cartographer has be selected to carry out the project (Unless they want to op out of selecting a cartographer and go for a competition instead). Once work commences a map will automatically be released into the Main Foundry with its "idea" and "gameplay" stamp passes (excluding projects with special circumstances) and will be left to work its way through the standard process of the foundry.

The "REVAMP Competition Process" is a fun way of getting the community even more involved in what the finished product of a map should look like. These will be held if no response is given by a cartographer for their map to be revamped. Anyone can enter, all you have to do is produce an image of your proposed REVAMP and PM it directly to me (clicky). Everyone has one week after the time of announcement to enter. Once the entries are in there will be a one week announcement poll to determine the community's cartographer of choice. From then on the map will have its "idea" and "gameplay" stamp (again excluding projects with special circumstances) and left in the main foundry to the will of the community. eek . . .

note: A cartographer retains copywrite of their own work and can therefor also REVAMP their own work.

TOUCH-UPS

This is something new being introduced. Many of our older maps have high quality graphics but suffer minor hiccups in their visuals. These could range from some simple untidy areas to more annoying colorblind issues. The TOUCH-UPS will be carried out my myself or another specially selected artist. Touch up threads are released directly into Final Forge with all the appropriate stamps for that stage of development. From then on a map follows the regular foundry process as long as it is within the special circumstances set out in the map thread.

Please note that TOUCH-UPS will only be for basic, simple changes rather than a complete overhaul like REVAMPS. TOUCH-UPs are for fine tuning a fine map.

Our very first TOUCH-UP will be of the community's beloved classic map which can be found here (clicky)

Also there is a chance to get a say in what you want to get revamped or touched up here (yes, another clicky)

So what are you waiting for? Lets get back to work :)
Last edited by gimil on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 pm

Can a cartographer revamp his/her own map?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 pm

InkL0sed wrote:Can a cartographer revamp his/her own map?

of course.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:49 pm

Since they hold the copywrite to the map they can, of course revamp theie own work.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 am

gimil wrote:

Since they hold the copywrite to the map they can, of course revamp theie own work.

They can even do it without asking actually. There have been instances of touch ups without a map falling back into the process by simply sending lack a new image. Often these go unnoticed.

This will probably change now that we have an official touch up process, but gimil would need to comment further as that isn't my call to make.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:58 am

gimil wrote:copyright

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Return to Foundry Discussions