Conquer Club

How hard is it??

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How hard is it??

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10 am

How hard is it to actually make a decent map that has a chance of getting onto conquer club. I mean once you have downloaded all the right programs and stuff is it really hard or can anyone do it?? Do you need much experience with computers or is it rather easy to do??

I have a lot of time on my hands so was thinking about making one, so was wondering how hard is it on a scale of 1 to 10 and how long does it take.

Cheers. :)
Private Mr Unbeatable

Re: How hard is it??

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:13 am

Mr Unbeatable wrote:How hard is it to actually make a decent map that has a chance of getting onto conquer club. I mean once you have downloaded all the right programs and stuff is it really hard or can anyone do it?? Do you need much experience with computers or is it rather easy to do??

I have a lot of time on my hands so was thinking about making one, so was wondering how hard is it on a scale of 1 to 10 and how long does it take.

Cheers. :)

scale of 1-10 for how hard it is to make a decent map

scale of 1-10 for how long it takes with 10 being the longest

Corporal bryguy

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply m8 so it takes a long time a take it, well that isn't a problem as i have a lot of time.
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby gimil on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 am

Dont listen to bryguy.

Follow the following steps to map making and you will find the process enjoyable and fun:

1. Read the how to make a map thread here
    2. Read the map making tools thread to pick your software.(I would recommend Photoshop CS3, you need to sign up to adobe but its worth it, it has the best user interface to learn the software)

3. Learn how to you the softwares layer system to make modifiying your map easy.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:26 am

My best advice (even tho I'm only a newbie map maker myself) would be

1) start with the small map (to make sure everything fits in there, cause if you downsize and it doesn't fit, you're bummed)

2) read -ALL- off the "how to make a map" and "map making tips" and etc etc, in both discussion, foundry, and ideas, before even -starting-. There are -LOTS- of little, niggly things in there that you'll get picked up on, and if you can work to have them right from the start you will save yourself x hours in the long run, where x >= big.

3) Read through forums of maps that have been quenched/forged in the final forge to get an idea of the whole process. Read up on maps that are currently in development in both stages, so you can have an idea of what you need to aim for.

4) Don't get offended if people tell you they don't like what you're doing... Chances are, they're right, and if you don't take it personal, and try make the changes (given you have lots of time, this shouldn't be a killer) you'll end up with a better map in the end.

So I'd say it's not -HARD-, but you have to realise you're working with perfectionists, who expect the same from you.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:33 am

1 download Photoshop

the other programs suck

2 learn how to use it

Shouldnt take that long and if you dont get anything just search google

3 come up with a good idea

well the hardest in my view except if you just take some area

4 wait

cause everything here goes slow as hell
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 am

Once again thanks for the replies so by the last 2 it doesn't sound to bad. I read the through map threads all the time as i find them interesting but have never gave it a go myself as i was expecting it to be too hard.

I think i will give it a go, i might do i map on trench warfare, does that sound hard??? I have already drawn a picture of what it will look like, territories bonus and all.
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:35 am

if you really want to then it is very easy. when i came to CC i barely knew how to use paint. but i really wanted to do this and now i have several maps quenched and time was/is a real issue.

so first decide if you really want to do this then stick to it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Qwert on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:11 pm

You can go to mine WWII WESTERN FRON to see proces step by step,ofcourse you must have idea for map,but you can see how i start map(borders,names,terittory colours,continents,background,bonus box),maybe these can help you.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:36 pm

DiM wrote:when i came to CC i barely knew how to use paint.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't feel as bad now....I can barely use photoshop :lol:
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 pm

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
DiM wrote:when i came to CC i barely knew how to use paint.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't feel as bad now....I can barely use photoshop :lol:

one of my first projects: :lol:

and 2 relevant posts from that thread:

KEYOGI wrote:
DiM wrote:i need:
1. someone to improve the graphics. i obviously can't do works of art
2. someone to take care of the xml coding stuff

Why bother then? I don't understand people that post maps and then say they can't do the xml and are no good with graphics. Posts like this should just go to the "free to a good home" thread.

DiM wrote:i'm not very good at photoshop as i've just started to learn it but i've made a tips and tricks thread and i'm looking forward to people sharing their knowledge. i'm a fast learner and i don't quit easily.

the tips and tricks thread is still around and in the meantime i learned my way around photoshop :D
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:21 pm

Ok thanks for all the replies will download the map stuff now. :)
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby Tieryn on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Also, and I don't know why I didn't see this earlier... maybe cause it was earlier and I wasn't so sleep deprived....

But the obvious answer to this thread is "Rock hard"...

:P
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 pm

im gonna update what i said earlier due to
gimil wrote:Dont listen to bryguy

scale of 1-10 for how hard it is to make a map with 10 being the hardest

scale of 1-10 for how long it takes with 10 being the longest

scale of 1-10 for how long it takes for people to notice/post with 10 being the longest

somewhere between 8 and 100
Corporal bryguy

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Ok been trying to do this and start it for the last 1 and a bit and i have answer the question for myself and the answer is "Really hard". I simply can't do it i don't understand it at all. Although gonna keep trying.
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:44 pm

You can learn Photoshop fairly quickly. There's only a handful of basic functions you need to know to work the software and get a good map. I'm sure gimp (free graphics program) is probably about the same for the learning curve.

1) Layers - Learn those. Never create in 1 layer. My maps have maybe 100 layers by the time they are done
2) Blending. Learn to use drop shadow / bevel emboss.
3) 1 or 2 pixel brush for territory borders. Don't you the pencil tool. If your borders are pixilated (or blocky) at all, you will get thrashed.

We're here to help and answer your questions.
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:13 pm

PHOTOSHOP PSD FILE HERE: RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE FILE

I just drafted this to show some key components of map making. If you do download and sample Photoshop, you can dissect my layers to see how this image was created. Everyone here will have different styles, and this is one of many. A lot of it is just experimenting with filters. Like the water, I created a layer and used the filter clouds with blue & white. Then I added noise. Then I used some artistic filter to create the pattern.

Anyway, good luck. If you do look at the psd file and have questions, let me know and I'll answer.
Private RjBeals

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Quench. :D
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:24 pm

wow that looks sick i say go on with it
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:25 pm

pepperonibread wrote:Quench. :D

no way, south is overpowered. just 1 border. not fair.
Major DiM

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:31 pm

RjBeals wrote:Anyway, good luck. If you do look at the psd file and have questions, let me know and I'll answer.

What version of Photoshop do you use?
I couldn't open your PSD file (not enough RAM apparently?)...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:32 pm

RjBeals wrote: Everyone here will have different styles, and this is one of many.

very true but i think it needs to be mentioned there's no right or wrong way to do a map. for example i looked at rj's layers and realised i have a totally different way of creating things. i bet i can replicate his example and at the same time have a totally different layer structure as well use other tools to create it. so make sure you experiment with every tool and see what each of them does.
Major DiM

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:40 pm

MrBenn wrote:What version of Photoshop do you use? I couldn't open your PSD file (not enough RAM apparently?)...

CS3

The file is only 1MB.. you should be able to open no problem.

DiM wrote: i bet i can replicate his example and at the same time have a totally different layer structure as well use other tools to create it.

Care to make it and post your file? The photoshop battle I had with mibi a while back really helped me to see different ways to get the same thing. Like I never would use the color overlay on a layer, and I always had problems going back weeks later to edit something, and having trouble getting the same color. Now I just do most layers in black, then use the color overlay. It's much easier to edit in solid black !!

(If you or others want to - maybe we should open a new thread?)
Private RjBeals

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 pm

^^ color change is best done with Ctrl-U
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm

RjBeals wrote:
MrBenn wrote:What version of Photoshop do you use? I couldn't open your PSD file (not enough RAM apparently?)...

CS3

The file is only 1MB.. you should be able to open no problem.

DiM wrote: i bet i can replicate his example and at the same time have a totally different layer structure as well use other tools to create it.

Care to make it and post your file? The photoshop battle I had with mibi a while back really helped me to see different ways to get the same thing. Like I never would use the color overlay on a layer, and I always had problems going back weeks later to edit something, and having trouble getting the same color. Now I just do most layers in black, then use the color overlay. It's much easier to edit in solid black !!

(If you or others want to - maybe we should open a new thread?)

well i'm at work and don't have photoshop.

what i do is use freehand brush (i really need to get a graphic tablet to make my life easier) and draw anything i want. then i abuse the effects. on my maps i rarely have layers with no effects on them. and after i apply various effects to a layer i apply several other transparent layers on top of it that contain minor graphics.
for example. on my mogul map just for the background i have 8 layers.
1 the colour
1 the lines
1 for the grunge on the background
1 for general shadow
1 for shadow of the crease
1 for shadow of the curl
1 for shadow of the folds
1 for the crispness of the lines
1 for the crease
and all just for a paper with some lines.
Major DiM

Return to Foundry Discussions