Conquer Club

Central America - gameplay discussion thread

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Central America: A Group Project, ver 4

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:38 am

Them islands numbered up as H3 - they're part of Honduras? - If so why are they Cyan and Not pink?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:29 pm

yeti_c wrote:Them islands numbered up as H3 - they're part of Honduras? - If so why are they Cyan and Not pink?

C.

because I'm being sloppy - just paint-bucketing the colors in, and overlooked the islands. You get the idea.
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Assuming you're going to sort out that blob... [Advanced Draft]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:49 pm

Click image to enlarge.

• Islands have colors.

• Alright, no mountains.

• All territories have future names... redrew some to conform to reality. Tried to use the shortest names possible - figured Chichicastenango might not fit. :D

• Blob?

The sooner we get the gameplay basics settled the sooner you lot can start working on the graphics... hoping to get something going by turkey day.
Captain oaktown

Re: Central America: special project. Gameplay?

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:49 am

Click image to enlarge.

No gameplay changes, just making it more presentable.
Captain oaktown

Re: Central America: special project. HELP!

Postby el-presidente on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:31 pm

I can't realy see anything wrong, It looks like a great map!. If your a mod, who gives you the gameplay stamp and whatnot? Could you just stamp yourself?
Private el-presidente

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:15 pm

el-presidente wrote:I can't realy see anything wrong, It looks like a great map!. If your a mod, who gives you the gameplay stamp and whatnot? Could you just stamp yourself?

We do try and avoid nepotism in these parts ;-)

Before moving to the next stage of development, we just want to make sure that any gameplay concerns have been raised and addressed...

My concern is about the Pacific/Caribbean ports - the 'one-sidedness' of the ports on the New World map still gets me muddled - at the very least Panama should be able to attack both oceans?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 pm

MrBenn wrote:My concern is about the Pacific/Caribbean ports - the 'one-sidedness' of the ports on the New World map still gets me muddled - at the very least Panama should be able to attack both oceans?

Are you saying that it would be better for play if Panama can hit both, or that the map would be more clear if Panama could hit both? Because I think it is the latter. What I think is getting you muddled about the current set-up is that we started with letters for ports that could attack each other, then simplified it by just having one attack route on each side... now both systems are on the map, and it's redundant and confusing. If I lose the "P" and "C" entirely, all we're dealing with is the attack routes, which for gameplay purposes is very straightforward.

I tend to think that it makes play more interesting to give Costa Rica a direct link to the north, since both Costa Rica and Panama may be somebody's start position and this provides some balance to the starts. So while I like the attack routes, the system needs to be clarified...

Click image to enlarge.

Perhaps the designer will have a better method of representing this visually, or of explaining how these attacks work. We'll be hoping for somebody's inspiration.

I've done so many updates just to make it look cleaner, I almost might as well just finish this up myself! :lol:
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:07 am

If nobody else raises any objections, I will stamp this now:

The future of this map is now in the hands of the mapmaking competition... :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70130
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Central America - gameplay discussion thread

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm

all i can say is maybe change the background, but other for that im speechless
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:17 pm

MrBenn wrote:The future of this map is now in the hands of the mapmaking competition... :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70130

[Locked]
Lieutenant MrBenn

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions