Conquer Club

Which image editor do you use?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which image editor do you use?

Postby FrédéricTheGreat on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi everyone!

I would like to propose a map of Paris, and I have already some ideas on how it could look like plus some jpegs of city maps that can serve as a starting point.
My question: what editor do you use to draw the borders, and how do you shade the countries/continents?

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Frédéric
Captain FrédéricTheGreat

Postby Megatron on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:20 pm

a map of paris? would one of the extras of the map be that you can win any territory you attack without losing an army? could call it "Soldier of Surrender" :P :twisted:
Lieutenant Megatron

Postby FrédéricTheGreat on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:22 pm

How nice, another Fox News addict.... :lol:
Captain FrédéricTheGreat

Postby Megatron on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:30 pm

I've been ripping on France all my life, I've got friends from France too, and they just love it when I start making fun of it :P Gotta say though, one of them got married recently, GREAT WEDDING, the food and the alcohol provided were EXCELLENT.
Lieutenant Megatron

Postby FrédéricTheGreat on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Well, whatever. To me, it makes a quite impolite impression. You just can't avoid making inferences on the people who express statements of that kind.

By the way, may I call you a queer moron? It's nothing personal, it's just that I have been ripping on Megatrons all my life, so I guess you won't mind.... :wink:
Captain FrédéricTheGreat

Postby happysadfun on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:15 pm

LaughAtLiberals.com wrote:Paris(AP). The French Government has announced that, in light of the Madrid bombings, France has raised the level of its terror alert from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels under the French system are “Surrender” and “Collaborate.”
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby FrédéricTheGreat on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:56 pm

I love your sort of humor. Please tell me your favorite jokes on jews or homosexuals!

(Question: if this is the flame war forum, where the hell is the "Map Foundry"??)
Captain FrédéricTheGreat

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Dw bro, i use Photoshop, most people use that but there are some who use different ones.

If you pm andy he will help you as the map mod he will have to :wink: lmao gl with your map and hope it goes well.
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:02 pm

:P Check the map making tools. It has many of the image programs that people use. I normally have only used Photoshop, but recently downloaded gimp just to play with it and get some experience with it.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:05 pm

AndyDufresne wrote::P Check the map making tools. It has many of the image programs that people use. I normally have only used Photoshop, but recently downloaded gimp just to play with it and get some experience with it.

--Andy

and your a prick lmao!!! that was so0o0o funny :) had to be done andy!!
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby Jargo The Axe on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:13 pm

First of, Frederick the Great are you saying your a gay french jew? Not to be racist or nothing. And I don't know a map of paris... it's only a city. I don't see the point in taking over a city. Is this gang wars or something? Please clue me in. And in no way is anything I've said meant to be offensive.
The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.

Diligent hands will rule, but laziness ends in slave labor.

There are some defeats more triumphant than victories.
Private Jargo The Axe

Postby happysadfun on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:58 pm

FrédéricTheGreat wrote:I love your sort of humor. Please tell me your favorite jokes on jews or homosexuals!

(Question: if this is the flame war forum, where the hell is the "Map Foundry"??)

I don't joke about Jews. They're God's chosen race. I have conservative-republican humor.

Paris map=Why don't we just NOT conquer it and work out an alliance? Or maybe we should surrender to each other? What effect will it have on the general community? And how can we raise taxes to make this a more peaceful city? Should we throw some welfare in there too? And don't forget incorporating gays and random murderers, they're oppressed!
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Jargo The Axe on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:09 pm

I agree with you dude. I don't make fun of Jews either. I know some cool people who are Jewish.
The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.

Private Jargo The Axe

Re: Which image editor do you use?

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:16 pm

FrédéricTheGreat wrote:Hi everyone!

I would like to propose a map of Paris, and I have already some ideas on how it could look like plus some jpegs of city maps that can serve as a starting point.
My question: what editor do you use to draw the borders, and how do you shade the countries/continents?

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Frédéric

Right im going to be honest with you, most people on this site aint very lets say fond of the french me being one of them... if you are going ot make a map, make it of a county that is exiting and playable, i mean you could have Italy, Russia or even a china map?

im just trying to help you but making a french map would be pointless and would be a waste of what map making skills you have, i would like to see you make a map and i wish you all the luck in the world bro, gl and i hope i will be seeing you fairly soon with some new idea's and maybe even some map pics etc
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby hwhrhett on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:41 pm

i think what he means, is that the type of people that read the forums here are hateful bigots that like to voice their bigot opinions loudly.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby Jargo The Axe on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 pm

ok scratcher, you can think that but in all reality France doesn't have a very good worldwide image right now. Part of this is because of the fact that lately they have been indicisive.

Private Jargo The Axe

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:05 pm

The French whine about us, we laugh about them. It's really a lovely relationship ;)

I'd be all for a france map... but some creative extras would be great :lol:

on-topic, I use photoshop and the GIMP both, though I've never tried to make a map.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

Re: Which image editor do you use?

Postby zim on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:15 pm

FrédéricTheGreat wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Frédéric

Frederic, I think a map of Paris could be quite interesting (Just ignore the snide comments from various folks. I'm not sure what France's military prowess or lack of it has to do with whether the map would work or not).

I think the concentric circles of the arondisments would make an intriguing structure.

As to tools, I've been working on a revised world map and have been using Adobe Illustrator rather than Photoshop. I think a vector based application has advantages for this kind of work versus a bitmap centric application. If I had it to do over again I think I would use Inkscape and work in SVG directly rather than Adobe's proprietary PDF-like format. Inkscape for Mac, PC and Linux is available free (like beer and like speech) at http://inkscape.org/download/. If it isn't "polished" enough for you, you might want to try Lineform if you're on a Mac. Regardless of what application you choose I'd import the file you have that is closest to how you envision the map and the use the apps trace tool to get rough outlines of the 'territories' and then use the paint bucket to fill them. After that edit, post, discuss, debate, rinse and repeat until you've got something that will work.

Bonne Chance,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:55 am

Gays are immoral human beings with stds..

and Jews should be gassed..

As for the french they are pussies

/sarcasm.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby FrédéricTheGreat on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:51 am

Jargo The Axe wrote:ok scratcher, you can think that but in all reality France doesn't have a very good worldwide image right now. Part of this is because of the fact that lately they have been indicisive.

I don't know where you have been lately in the so called rest of the world. But at least in Europe you get the impression that the US have not a very good worldwide image, and this is for the most part due to the chauvinism of the kind that has been expressed in this post.

(Beware: what follows is about Conquerclub Maps, skip the sentence if you are interested in flaming/trolling/baiting)

Thanks to those who have answered my initial question, I will try Photoshop and see how it works.

(End of Conquerclub related message. You may flame on now! ) :lol:
Captain FrédéricTheGreat

Postby Jargo The Axe on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:04 am

I know the US has a bad image. Did I say it didn't? I was just trying to explain whay someone would be against the map.

Are you making a map of France or a map of Paris? Cause I'll play France but not Paris.

Why, Because I don't see the point in conquering a city. As I said before is this gang wars?

Private Jargo The Axe

Postby Megatron on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:42 am

There was a meeting where several military officers from the around the world had gathered. During the meeting, a french officer stood up and said, "How come we have to learn English and none of you ever have to learn to speak French." Then an Austrailian stood up and said, "Perhaps it's because the Americans and the British made it so that you did not have to speak German."
Lieutenant Megatron

Postby happysadfun on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:14 pm

RKyle is making a france map. So the purpose of this thread as a France map is redundant. But this could be a Village Voice-Maps Version thread!

Cadet happysadfun

Return to Foundry Discussions