Conquer Club

Map Incubator Experiment (Failed)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Incubator Experiment

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:54 pm

Well I must say this looks interesting. Count me in.

High ranker, with a different point of view than many. :) P.S. When does this start?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby oaktown on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Well I must say this looks interesting. Count me in.

High ranker, with a different point of view than many. :) P.S. When does this start?

Your name has been included above... I plan on starting something up as soon as I can find the rock gimil has been hiding under. ;)
Captain oaktown

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:31 am

During my six months at CC, I have spent much of my freemium waiting time browsing the Map Foundry, and occasionally making comments that I hope are useful. My rank should make a nice counterbalance to Bruceswar.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby jpcloet on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:50 am

Looks like you have enough for 2 groups. Good stuff.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby soundman on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:04 am

Found this though the topic in callouts.
Sounds great and maybe it'll give me some inspiration for my own map. Count me in. :)
(I'm not a foundry regular but have an eye for detail and am creative.)
Lieutenant soundman

Postby alex951 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 am

alex here, i would like to help. i have alway wanted to make my own maps but just don't know how, but i would luv to help someone else achieve success.
Corporal alex951

Postby oaktown on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 am

alex951 wrote:alex here, i would like to help. i have alway wanted to make my own maps but just don't know how, but i would luv to help someone else achieve success.

Thanks alex! Unfortunately we are in the process of contacting a first group, but I've added your name to the list of volunteers who will be contacted if/when we need replacements or when we get a second team up and running.

All others are free to add your names here - we hope to get as many folks involved in this as possible.
Captain oaktown

Postby alex951 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 pm

oaktown wrote:
alex951 wrote:alex here, i would like to help. i have alway wanted to make my own maps but just don't know how, but i would luv to help someone else achieve success.

Thanks alex! Unfortunately we are in the process of contacting a first group, but I've added your name to the list of volunteers who will be contacted if/when we need replacements or when we get a second team up and running.

All others are free to add your names here - we hope to get as many folks involved in this as possible.

its all good just let me know when/if i'm needed. thank you
Corporal alex951

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:40 pm

yo, can you show us who's on the first team? i don't wanna end up on the b-team with a bunch of scrubs if the first team is really good
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:27 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:yo, can you show us who's on the first team? i don't wanna end up on the b-team with a bunch of scrubs if the first team is really good

gimil was preparing an announcement, but then he up and took off for a vacation. I'll try to post something shortly.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:17 am

whitestazn88 wrote:yo, can you show us who's on the first team? i don't wanna end up on the b-team with a bunch of scrubs if the first team is really good

Oh dear, whitesatazn88, you don't wanna be on the B team with me. :(
I understand though what you're saying...
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 am

Hi mapper,

Despite the recent handing in of our CA badges, the two of us haven't ended our quest to make the foundry ever better in a continually evolving Conquer Club. Recently you may have noticed our plan for a map incubator experiment. We heard from many interested parties, both foundry veterans and new faces, who took an interest in participating. Unfortunately we couldn't take everyone for this first; we tried to put together a group that had a range of experience levels, ranks, and points of view. Those of you that didn't get picked still may have a chance to play your part in the future - either to replace members who need to drop out, or in future teams.

Now without further ado, here is the very first Map Incubator Team (MIT):

1. Oaktown
    2. Gimil
    3. The.killing.44
    4. Sailorseal
    5. Lancehoch
    6. Bruceswar
    7. Lokisgal
    8. Hwhrhett
    9. S3xt0y
    10. GrimReaper.

The role of this team will be to follow a selection of map development threads within the foundry from start to finish, providing consistent and high quality feedback throughout the process. They will collectively discuss what it will take for a map to achieve its next stamp, and guide the mapmaker in that direction. The team will be working closely with the Cartography Assistants and Stampers to maintain the Foundry's high standards and expectations.

Should this initial experiment be successful we will look into expanding this experiment to involve more teams. We will also consider the possible advantages that such a team approach to mapmaking and feedback could have for the foundry at large.

So lets welcome our first incubator team!

Happy mapping,
gimil and oaktown
Captain oaktown

Postby barterer2002 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

Oak if you're looking for B team members let me know I'm always willing to help out although I have no idea how to do any graphic stuff.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:49 pm

The question is which map is subject to the first Incubator? That's missing from the announcement in my opinion.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Japan
Flanders
Goblin Tribes
First Nations

I think I'm allowed to say that? :P
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:08 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Japan
Flanders
Goblin Tribes
First Nations

I think I'm allowed to say that? :P

Of course - I mentioned this in each of the threads, but failed to include it here. Thanks '44.
Captain oaktown

Postby squishyg on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 pm

I volunteer to help incubate! I have little to no experience foundrying and am lovely and supportive to all.
Captain squishyg

Postby sailorc on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:24 am

I'll do it.

I'm fairly new here but I plan on getting more involved in the foundry. I'm getting photoshop 6.0 today, maybe after I learn how to use it I could help others
Lieutenant sailorc

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:55 pm

i suppose cairns and i would make a solid foundation for the b-team lol
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:00 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:i suppose cairns and i would make a solid foundation for the b-team lol

That's nicely positive isn't it? :)
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:07 pm

cairnswk wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:i suppose cairns and i would make a solid foundation for the b-team lol

That's nicely positive isn't it? :)

indeed... in putting together the first group it was clear that we had the makings of two, but with gimil away from his computer for a bit now wasn't the time. I'm keeping a running list of volunteers, so when we see how this first round goes we'll consider another.
Captain oaktown

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:23 pm

How does a map get chosen to be incubated?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: Map Incubator Experiment (Failed)

Postby oaktown on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Four weeks ago I posted a call out for folks to join me in a little experiment. Just over two weeks into the actual implementation phase I am prepared to declare this little experiment a failure.

I've sent out several PMs to the folks involved... at first I was just asking for them to acknowledge that they'd received the PM, and I received only one response. Since then I've asked them to stop by each of our four threads and make a quick "hello" post, which didn't happen. Then I got more specific and gave everyone an assignment, which only one member has done. In fact, the total number of posts left in the target threads by members other than me is ten, and those have all been by one individual (who is also a site moderator). The other seven members have totaled zero posts by my count - maybe I missed one or two, but in searching their recent post histories I see no foundry activity at all for some of them.

I'm not going to knock myself out trying to get folks to do something they clearly don't want to do (even if they volunteered). Those involved should never again criticize the Foundry,its leadership, or its mapmakers for work that they themselves were unwilling to do.

And as I don't want this to turn into yet another foundry bitch session, I'll be asking that this thread be locked.
Captain oaktown

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Oak, don't give up on this. Honestly, with the crew you picked, I'm not overly surprised. Pick better and try again, and it'll work.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Kotaro wrote:Oak, don't give up on this. Honestly, with the crew you picked, I'm not overly surprised. Pick better and try again, and it'll work.

Yes, why don't you give team 2 a go. I for one will be in there ( with nice positive stuff) ;)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions