Change is afoot....

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Change is afoot....

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:10 pm

MrBenn wrote:In other news, you may notice another change that has taken place this evening...

I've gone through and stickied all the maps that have been given their Gameplay Stamp, so that these will appear at the top of the Main Foundry. Once maps receive their Graphics Stamp, they'll be promoted to an Announcement at the very top of the page before making the transition to the Final Forge.

Now this part is nice. =D> =D>
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 pm

MrBenn wrote:In other news, you may notice another change that has taken place this evening...

I've gone through and stickied all the maps that have been given their Gameplay Stamp, so that these will appear at the top of the Main Foundry. Once maps receive their Graphics Stamp, they'll be promoted to an Announcement at the very top of the page before making the transition to the Final Forge.

After a little bit of time looking at it.... I like the concept, but think the process should be reversed. Maps new to the Foundry working on Gameplay should be at the top as announcements and maps on there way to the Forge should be regular threads towards the bottom of the page. Maps that need the exposure and feedback should be at the top of the page. Maps that are pretty much on their way to the Forge don't need a lot of exposure, they're for the most part done, they'll receive they're final scrutiny in the Forge.

I just think over time maps that currently have been working on Gameplay are towards the bottom of the page and they're work may be stunted because of their position. I know it's just a short scroll down, but most folks don't do it, they look at what's on TOP.

I know it probably isn't feasible to put 10-15 threads in Announcements, but just look at those maps towards the bottom of the page, their production has slowed since the change, and while I know not all maps make it through the process there are maps being updated down there and they aren't being commented on.
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:54 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:I just think over time maps that currently have been working on Gameplay are towards the bottom of the page and they're work may be stunted because of their position. I know it's just a short scroll down, but most folks don't do it, they look at what's on TOP.

On the other hand if you reverse it you might get a lot of maps grinding to a halt being bogged down in graphics-tweaking mode.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:53 pm

They'd still be where they currently are stickyed. But with more threads on top, they would get pushed further down... I dunno if any way will ever be perfect.
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:56 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Tbh I liked the Main Foundry as the regular topics.

QFT!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 142
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (2)

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:As well as the links on the forum index, there are forum links at the top of each forum page.

I think you just need a little longer to get used to it cairns :lol:

Well, no MrBenn...i am used to it....but from this Forum, i can only go back to Board Index < General < Map Foundry < Foundry Tips and Discussions
I can't get to Main Foundry, Drafts, or Final Forge from the top of this page without having to go through Main Foundry which i should be able to do. That is the idea of good navigation.
I am not tramping on what you have done, i am simply syaing that i still think it can be done better. :)

I agree this is a very backwards broke down system. Surely CC can do better
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 142
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (2)

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:As well as the links on the forum index, there are forum links at the top of each forum page.

I think you just need a little longer to get used to it cairns :lol:

Well, no MrBenn...i am used to it....but from this Forum, i can only go back to Board Index < General < Map Foundry < Foundry Tips and Discussions
I can't get to Main Foundry, Drafts, or Final Forge from the top of this page without having to go through Main Foundry which i should be able to do. That is the idea of good navigation.
I am not tramping on what you have done, i am simply syaing that i still think it can be done better. :)

I agree this is a very backwards broke down system. Surely CC can do better

Well, you got me thinking, and I figured that a system like phpBB would have to have something better, and it does, and so does CC.
Scroll to the bottom right corner of the page. There is a Jump To control with a dropdown menu which will let you get to just about any other spot in the forum with just a scroll and a click. I had never paid it much attention before, but this little item looks pretty handy.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Woah, that is really healpful. :lol:
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Something's afoot...

The wind of change is beginning to blow...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm

MrBenn wrote:Something's afoot...

Is that a new map? :D

5 territories is kinda pushing it, eh?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Keep your eyes peeled for an Official Announcement at the beginning of next week - and hold onto your (bowler) hats...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

EvilDimWit

Postby colton24 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Seems like he is about to be a foundry mod. I saw his name on "The Team" list and he had all the Foundry Forums under "Forums"(aka the forums the mod mods)
Highest Rank: Lt | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!
Private 1st Class colton24

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: EvilDimWit

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm

:-$ Just don't tell anyone. It's supposed to be a surprise. :-$
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Yep. *swallows—holy crap I'm saying this* Well spotted, colton.
Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm

No comment. 8-[
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote::-$ Just don't tell anyone. It's supposed to be a surprise. :-$

So are you pleading the 5th?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:36 am

Did somebody say something? :-^
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:11 am

who bin doing this footy change :lol: :lol:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby angola on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:42 am

Dammit, I was hoping the change was Feudal Epic hitting Beta.
Colonel angola

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (16) Tournament Contribution (19) General Contribution (3)

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions