Conquer Club

Cleared Pending astarlist(sn)

All previously decided cases. Please check here before opening a new case.

Moderators: Multi Hunters, Cheating/Abuse Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[These cases have been closed. If you would like to appeal the decision of the hunter please open a ticket on the help page and the case will be looked into by a second hunter.]

astarlist(sn)

Postby davecrew on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Accused:

[astarlist]

The accused are suspected of:

Severe PM Abuse

Game number(s):

Comments:

Having a mental illness is a serious issue - playing a game on this website can be a great release from the abuse one receives from other areas for their mental illness and being called a 'retard' by astarlist was deeply offensive in the chat in game 15178724. This is a totally unacceptable term. The most bizarre aspect of this is that I was accosted for attacking him in the game. That is the whole purpose of the game.

The online dictionary (http://www.dictionary.com) defines this word as the following:

Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a contemptuous term used to refer to a person who cognitively impaired.
a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:
a hopeless social retard.

I would expect action to be taken on this matter as if it is found that this player is allowed to continue to use this type of language I feel it would be unwise for me to continue to use this website whilst this form of abuse is acceptable. It goes without saying that I would feel aggrieved and their would be inevitable negative publicity if you are to suggest that this word is in any way acceptable to use in 'chat' as this, in my opinion, is in no way acceptable as 'banter'.

I look forward to your response.

Kind Regards,

David Crew
Lieutenant davecrew

Re: astarlist

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Link fixed: Game 15178724

2014-12-28 11:48:55 - astarlist: yellow wtf stop attacking me! there is so much space on this map
2015-01-01 05:49:55 - astarlist: yellow are oyu seriously retarded? i hope red stomps you out
2015-01-01 10:56:37 - davecrew: Blue I don't know why you keep insulting me but the last remark was severely offensive. I will be reporting it and you should be warned that language like that is not acceptable.
2015-01-01 11:02:08 - davecrew: I may have a mental illness but there is no need to use that word to describe it. I only come onb this website to play games - it would serve you well to consider that this is only a game and not a forum for insulting mental illesses.
2015-01-01 11:20:01 - davecrew: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 5&t=209924

this should be interesting... CC has ruled both ways in the past, so i wonder if they have a precedent locked up in the secret mod forums... hmmmm... my guess would be foe and move on a NOTED for astarlist... *grabs popcorn*...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby ZornSlayer on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:05 pm

If you read on in the chat, you see that astarlist did apologize for offending, though a big coyly:

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=15178724
Game 15178724
Major ZornSlayer

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:27 pm

ZornSlayer wrote:If you read on in the chat, you see that astarlist did apologize for offending, though a big coyly:

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=15178724
Game 15178724

and AFTER having been given a posted link to this thread, which had already been posted... ha!!!-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby astarlist on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:39 pm

yeah after seeing the amount of effort he put in to make the post, i apologized. in my defense, he ignored me in chat the entire game until it was clear i was going to eliminate him. no matter; i remain apologetic, as clearly my words struck a nerve, and conquer club is certainly not worth being this upset over.
Major astarlist

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:23 pm

well, i'm just really interested where the "R" word falls in the bigotry guidelines, after multiple warnings falling on both sides...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Re: astarlist(sn)

Postby sniffie on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:54 pm

The word retard is not bigoted/racial. Therefore this player is cleared.
If you feel offended by the word retard, feel free to foe this player so that you won't have to read his game chat ever again.
I must warn you though, with over 10.000 players comments like that will come about every now and then.
Of course the C&A team will always be there to assist, but CC takes a fairly liberal stance in situations like this.

sniff
Corporal 1st Class sniffie

Postby sniffie on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Cleared
Corporal 1st Class sniffie

Postby owenshooter on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:23 pm

sniffie wrote:The word retard is not bigoted/racial. Therefore this player is cleared.
If you feel offended by the word retard, feel free to foe this player so that you won't have to read his game chat ever again.
I must warn you though, with over 10.000 players comments like that will come about every now and then.
Of course the C&A team will always be there to assist, but CC takes a fairly liberal stance in situations like this.

sniff

eh... kind of funny, because you have ruled both ways... so this is not so much funny as it is interesting, because you seem a bit behind on this one... the "r" word is actually deemed offensive now... here is a cute little article for you to read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opini ... .html?_r=0

anyway... just wondering if you guys have a set standard in the back or if this is a stand alone. as i said before, CC has ruled both ways in the past. so, wondering if this is the precedent or if this is just going to be a case by case kind of deal...-Jésus noir
Lieutenant owenshooter

Return to Closed C&A Reports