4 Star Meats [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Vacation - valid until Oct 2012] - 4 Star Meats

Postby The Bison King on Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Please please please do continue! Keep the dream alive!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Sept 15th 2012 - 4 Star Meats

Postby dana1971 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi all,

It's been a crazy summer for me but no that it's over I am ready to start working on the cow again.

Still rough around the edges, but I want to nail down the game play before I make it all pretty.

I've taken on board most of the suggestions, dropped the loyalty points, and hopefully made the map more balanced.

Any suggestions on changing bonus numbers would be great.

Not sure about the colors, I'm thinking they may be to similar?
Also wonder if the rules are clear enough?

Click image to enlarge.

Anyway, still working on it.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Major dana1971

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (47) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Sept 15th 2012 - 4 Star Meats

Postby x-raider on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:59 am

Yay!
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 am

[Moved]

Hi-dilly-ho, neighborinos! Back you go.

koontz
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Very nice update. Good to see you back also.

I have a few things to point out:

*how easy is it to read neutral player values on the special offer?
*the left legs don't have any region names - are we supposed to deduce the names of each part based on the matching component of the right legs?
*what's the point of the special offer? does it connect the tip/tongue/hoof regions?
*some of the bonuses do have similar colours, as you've acknowledged. go check out the hive map - in particular the honeycomb cluster naming system. i'm thinking that you could make one region name in each bonus stand out - perhaps by being bold. for instance, you could highlight the word 'crown' in the crown bonus.
*the left fore leg and plate bonus regions are too similar in colour to say that they are adjacent.

I look forward to seeing another update!
Colonel ManBungalow

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:33 pm

dana, can you please do your title in this format:
name of map [date] v1, pg(page that the most recent update is on)
i.e. 4 Star Meats [15 Sept 2012] v20 pg 26
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: 4 Star Meats [15 Sept 2012] v15 pg 26

Postby dana1971 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks,

I changed the title, no problem.
Major dana1971

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (47) Map Contribution (1)

Postby dana1971 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:06 pm

ManBungalow wrote:*how easy is it to read neutral player values on the special offer?

Guess I should change the background on that one.
ManBungalow wrote:*the left legs don't have any region names - are we supposed to deduce the names of each part based on the matching component of the right legs?

I will put them in, just want to make sure game play works first.
ManBungalow wrote:*what's the point of the special offer? does it connect the tip/tongue/hoof regions?

It does connect to everything on offer. i.e. hoofs, tongue, and tail tip. Guess I should make the rules more clear somewhere on the map.
ManBungalow wrote:*some of the bonuses do have similar colours, as you've acknowledged. go check out the hive map - in particular the honeycomb cluster naming system. i'm thinking that you could make one region name in each bonus stand out - perhaps by being bold. for instance, you could highlight the word 'crown' in the crown bonus.

Not a bad idea, I can try that.

Thanks.
Best Wishes,
Dana
Major dana1971

Postby iancanton on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 am

top side and back rib are already part of very difficult bonuses. move their stars to shell steak and top blade instead?

the standout gameplay feature on the map is the special offer. however, it will hardly be used at all because i don't see many players going through 5 killer neutral troops to break a +2 leg bonus, in which case the legs have only 1 region to defend in practice and are worth only a +1 bonus. if u make it 2 killer neutral troops instead of 5, then it's a different story, with the +2 leg bonuses being fully justified (except maybe for the shorter left fore leg, which is arguably a +1).

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Cool to see this back in production.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby dana1971 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:37 pm

iancanton wrote:top side and back rib are already part of very difficult bonuses. move their stars to shell steak and top blade instead?

OK will move them to Ox tail base, and Shell Steak. Going to leave it in the neck position.

iancanton wrote: the standout gameplay feature on the map is the special offer. however, it will hardly be used at all because i don't see many players going through 5 killer neutral troops to break a +2 leg bonus, in which case the legs have only 1 region to defend in practice and are worth only a +1 bonus. if u make it 2 killer neutral troops instead of 5, then it's a different story, with the +2 leg bonuses being fully justified (except maybe for the shorter left fore leg, which is arguably a +1).

I don't totally agree with no one going through the killer neutrals. Really depends on the game. Terminator for example, sometimes it's easier to go through a neutral than go through a bunch of large armies to get your target. I'd also say in long games when the numbers get high 5 troops won't mean much. Still, you're not the first person to say keep that number low so I'll lower it to 3.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Major dana1971

Postby dana1971 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Here's the latest

Click image to enlarge.

Still need to clean up graphics around legs and hanging meat, but hopefully game play is looking better.

The following regions will start with neutrals.

Tenderloin: 2
Tri-Tip: 2
Special Offer: killer 3
4 Star Meats Logo: 3

Continent bonuses may need adjusted? What do you think?

Best Wishes,
Dana
Major dana1971

Re: 4 Star Meats [7 October 2012] v16 pg 26

Postby The Bison King on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 pm

I feel like it's there or just about there. You've been working on this a long time, and I feel like it's finally looking like it's ready to move forward. I'm really glad you've stuck with this.
Sergeant The Bison King

Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Flapcake on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:26 am

I think that even though the colors are so close to each other have no bearing, because you can see what's what ... If you dont, get glasses :)

I also think that your super nice map is ready to move forward.

Thumbs up. Flaps
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:31 am

The Bison King wrote:I feel like it's there or just about there. You've been working on this a long time, and I feel like it's finally looking like it's ready to move forward. I'm really glad you've stuck with this.

Agreed.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas