Baltic States [3/10] V33 P34 Beta Time??

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baltic States: Version 4 Pg 3 Name Help please!

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 am

Bruceswar wrote:That beings us to another point... City names or region names? Which to use and why?

I go with a region name if its available, but sometime the city is the best thing to name a region after if you're using the region name elsewhere. So, for example, if you broke a big region in two pieces you could name one after the actual region name and the other after the nearest large city.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 am

You should submit a design brief.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby amazzony on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Bruceswar wrote:That beings us to another point... City names or region names? Which to use and why?

If Latvia and Lithuania would have "correct" regions (i.e. regions on the map like they are in real life then I would suggest to use the region names). But, as you can't do that (it would be insane to have either 5 or ~100 regions for Latvia, if I remember correctly looking at the real life map) then I would suggest using city names as it's easier to determine biggest city in the region rather than decide what regions are more/less important in there or how you drew the borders exactly. And, for the sake of unity, in my opinion, you should use regions for two countries and cities for the third one.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Medals: 113
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (26) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (4)

Postby theBastard on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

it seems that you have correct regions of Estonia and also of Lithuania, so you can go with original regions names.
here are as they are and with names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Lithuania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Estonia

about Latvia, maybe you could go with this and divide some regions (norht Kurzeme/south Kurzeme, east Zemgale/west Zemgale...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planning_regions_of_Latvia

if not, I agree with amazzony.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm glad to see somebody pick up a map of The Baltics; there was a reasonable draft that somebody started once before, but it never ended up going anywhere - I'm assuming you're looked up the old thread?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 pm

MrBenn wrote:I'm glad to see somebody pick up a map of The Baltics; there was a reasonable draft that somebody started once before, but it never ended up going anywhere - I'm assuming you're looked up the old thread?

I check all 3 threads....

Scania13

Captain Walrus

and the one with the draft still there.

I took a look at all the concerns with those maps. I am working on impassables, names etc. I want to keep pressing with the issues at hand and work from there.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 am

natty_dread wrote:You should submit a design brief.

Good Call I will get on this.
Major Bruceswar

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby amazzony on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:53 pm

My suggestions for remaining Latvia (cities):

Latvia 1 -> Daugavpils
Latvia 2 -> Kraslava
Latvia 3 -> Ludza
Latvia 4 -> Rēzekne
Latvia 5 -> Balvi
Latvia 6 -> Jēkabpils
Latvia 9 -> Nereta
Latvia 10 -> Ogre
Latvia 12 -> Valka
Latvia 13 -> Valmiera
Latvia 19 -> Saldus
Latvia 22 -> Kuldīga
Jelgava -> Dobele

Used this map, it should be quite accurate: http://www.atozmapsdata.com/zoomify.asp ... atvia_Pol2

Hope it will help.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Medals: 113
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (26) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (4)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:37 pm

As always---if you need name and language assistance, check CC's scoreboard for someone living in the region. Most of the time people have proved eager to help when they've been notified about such things!

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat May 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Bruce, how is it going with this one?

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby grifftron on Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 am

cool map bruce, just seen it off your sig and thought i would check it out, ill follow and hopefully can suggest some things later on.

-griff
‹army of nobunaga› me and so many other people including people in your own clan look at you as a joke
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 120
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri May 13, 2011 1:54 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Bruce, how is it going with this one?

Once I get past whac a mod I had another update coming. :) 136 games tied me up for a bit... I am not letting this one go.
Major Bruceswar

Postby eurosport on Fri May 13, 2011 2:53 am

amazzony wrote:My suggestions for remaining Latvia (cities):

Latvia 1 -> Daugavpils
Latvia 2 -> Kraslava
Latvia 3 -> Ludza
Latvia 4 -> Rēzekne
Latvia 5 -> Balvi
Latvia 6 -> Jēkabpils
Latvia 9 -> Nereta
Latvia 10 -> Ogre
Latvia 12 -> Valka
Latvia 13 -> Valmiera
Latvia 19 -> Saldus
Latvia 22 -> Kuldīga
Jelgava -> Dobele

I'm from Latvia and can tell that amazzony is correct. i can only make a little bit correction with writing if you want it in native language. To be correct it was only one correction, other corrections is for towns and cities which are already written in the map.
Oh and made one change of a town - Nereta for Aizkraukle (more known and bigger)
And don't change Dobele for Jelgava as Jelgava is bigger and more known town.

Latvia 1 -> Daugavpils
Latvia 2 -> Krāslava
Latvia 3 -> Ludza
Latvia 4 -> Rēzekne
Latvia 5 -> Balvi
Latvia 6 -> Jēkabpils
Latvia 9 -> Aizkraukle
Latvia 10 -> Ogre
Latvia 12 -> Valka
Latvia 13 -> Valmiera
Latvia 19 -> Saldus
Latvia 22 -> Kuldīga
Riga - Rīga
Limbazi - Limbaži
Cesis - Cēsis
Liepaja - Liepāja

Maybe you don't want to use those macrons and soft signs then just write without them ;)
Major eurosport

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri May 13, 2011 4:18 am

Version 5:

All names added or fixed
New Title Graphic

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Bruceswar on Sat May 14, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Bruceswar

Re: Baltic States: Version 5 Pg 5 Impassables?

Postby Bruceswar on Fri May 13, 2011 4:30 am

I few quick points...

1. Which rivers are most important?
2. How readable is the font at current for the territory names?
3. How should the bonuses be named? Any suggestions?
4. Anything else you can see that needs to be done right now?
Major Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps