Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Maps that may be nearing the end of production. Finalize maps here, while testing.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [8.7.12] V16-P11 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:44 pm

pamoa wrote:...
and I suppose de Parma and LB Army Brussels didn't get any treasury connection

that's correct...the idea is that he was to be "rescued" and transported to England as part of the invasion...so in fact it is a bonus if the player from San Martin nca "help him out". :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Version 17.
1. i've changed the Monarch and Treasury text and also the Command Vessel text
2. instead of alpha reference, i changed the top of each players Monarch and Treasury column to the corresponding shield and also added a shield to players SS and LB territory.

Click image to enlarge.
image
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I have a question cairns...you say the Treasury can only assault/fort that same players command vessel, SS, or LB. Is that possible with the current XML abilities? To code one starting position to only be able to attack the same players starting position?
Image
User avatar
Major nolefan5311
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 am
Location: Florida
Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I have a question cairns...you say the Treasury can only assault/fort that same players command vessel, SS, or LB. Is that possible with the current XML abilities? To code one starting position to only be able to attack the same players starting position?

Well. think about this. :idea:
Assume: you hold all your treasury positions, your monarch position, both CV terts, SS (or LB).
Scenario 1: You can obviously fort to your CV terts, SS or LB from your treasury, since as you correctly stated you cannot attack your own terts from others your hold.

Assume: you hold all your treasury positions, SS (or LB), but someone has attacked both or one of your CV terts.
Scenario 2:You can then attack back to both CV terts from your treasury (or from bordering vessels)

Assume: you hold all your treasury positions, your monarch position, both CV terts, SS (or LB).
Scenario 3:Your Monarch is attacked and taken from one of your opponents CV terts. Ouch!
What to do? You have to gain control of one of your opponents' CV terts to retake your Monarch tert. This make the Monarch a very "required position" to hold.

And the strategy decisions that come from that when you are initially deploying at the start of your turn is to deicide whether your Monarch gets your initial "game deploy (usually of +3)" or to use it for other vessels you hold.
Remember the Monarch is part of the losing condition, and the Monarch already has +1 autodeploy.

Does that explain it? :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Ok, I've been away from "work" too long. I failed to realize there are PERMANENT associations between particular Monarchs, CVs, and LBs across ALL games (i.e., William Winter, Vanguard, and Margate LB are permanently associated across all games) based on their shield. I was operating off the assumption that there was not a consistent combination of M, CV, and SS/LB.

Carry on, carry on...momentary loss of focus corrected.
Image
User avatar
Major nolefan5311
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 am
Location: Florida
Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby pamoa on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:30 am

about the "Monarch" term you use to define all 12 starting positions at the base of the treasury
I think it can bring some confusion as the only monarch named on your map are Philip II and Elisabeth I
so maybe "Nobles"
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:18 am
Location: Confederatio Helvetica
Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 am

pamoa wrote:about the "Monarch" term you use to define all 12 starting positions at the base of the treasury
I think it can bring some confusion as the only monarch named on your map are Philip II and Elisabeth I
so maybe "Nobles"

pamoa. i really think your grabbing at straws here.
i do think that every player will get the fact from "Monarch (M)" (now that it's in place) that they each have a Monarch territory.
I am not in favour of using nobles when it is the nobles who are running the Command Vessels. :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 am

nolefan5311 wrote:Ok, I've been away from "work" too long. I failed to realize there are PERMANENT associations between particular Monarchs, CVs, and LBs across ALL games (i.e., William Winter, Vanguard, and Margate LB are permanently associated across all games) based on their shield. I was operating off the assumption that there was not a consistent combination of M, CV, and SS/LB.

Carry on, carry on...momentary loss of focus corrected.

NP. Glad you caught it. :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby iancanton on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:45 pm

swiftsure and poole land supply can still bombard each other. san martin b can still bombard de parma f, though this might be deliberate and is not necessarily a problem because de parma is not a starting region.

vanguard, which is already secure because of its corner position, is further protected by vanguard s being invulnerable from the east. as well as removing the barrier to the east of vanguard s, change the vanguard start position to vanguard b, frida and margate lb to dilute the advantage of being remote from attack.

some command vessel starting regions can be bombarded by an enemy after the latter kills an n1. i suggest that san pedro, san juan, san juan bautista and tramontana become n2. this gives a slight defensive advantage to the cv (against its potential aggressor) that happens to be in danger from this type of bombardment.

ian. :)
Image
User avatar
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:40 am
Location: europe
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:09 pm

iancanton wrote:swiftsure and poole land supply can still bombard each other. san martin b can still bombard de parma f, though this might be deliberate and is not necessarily a problem because de parma is not a starting region.

vanguard, which is already secure because of its corner position, is further protected by vanguard s being invulnerable from the east. as well as removing the barrier to the east of vanguard s, change the vanguard start position to vanguard b, frida and margate lb to dilute the advantage of being remote from attack.

some command vessel starting regions can be bombarded by an enemy after the latter kills an n1. i suggest that san pedro, san juan, san juan bautista and tramontana become n2. this gives a slight defensive advantage to the cv (against its potential aggressor) that happens to be in danger from this type of bombardment.

ian. :)


ian, thank-you again. all done...pls refresh your browser for the change in V17 above.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby iancanton on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 pm

there are two ships called san juan: one is close to capitania and the other is close to san juan de portugal.

exmoore, bridgewater, portsmith and is of wight ought to be exmoor, bridgwater, portsmouth and i of wight respectively.

swindon is a railway town and wasn't more than a village in the elizabethan period; perhaps replace this by salisbury.

eddystone is a lighthouse, not a town; eddystone lb might be replaced by truro lb, since eddystone has no land, though the battle is correctly called eddystone.

http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/eddystone.html

ian. :)
Image
User avatar
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:40 am
Location: europe
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [24.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 pm

iancanton wrote:there are two ships called san juan: one is close to capitania...
this one is replaced by San Buenaventura
exmoore, bridgewater, portsmith and is of wight ought to be exmoor, bridgwater, portsmouth and i of wight respectively.

Done
swindon is a railway town and wasn't more than a village in the elizabethan period; perhaps replace this by salisbury.
Done

eddystone is a lighthouse, not a town; eddystone lb might be replaced by truro lb, since eddystone has no land, though the battle is correctly called eddystone. Done
http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/eddystone.html
ian. :)

...and done! :)

Refesh for V17
Image
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [24.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby iancanton on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 pm

each position needs 2 shields (command vessel and either land base or supply ship); the 3rd shield is irrelevant because there is no permanent association between that territory and its initial monarch.

most supply ships are ss. however, amor is sss and so is the example in the legend.

is there room to write battle of eddystone, battle of portland and so on in the legend, so that the significance of these is obvious? i thought the bonus was for holding areas of empty sea for no particular reason.

ian. :)
Image
User avatar
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:40 am
Location: europe
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [24.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 pm

iancanton wrote:each position needs 2 shields (command vessel and either land base or supply ship); the 3rd shield is irrelevant because there is no permanent association between that territory and its initial monarch.

Granted they may not be needed, but i'll leave them there for now as they as starting territory indicators and will remove them when we have got the xml approved. ;)
most supply ships are ss. however, amor is sss and so is the example in the legend.
:oops: Fixed.

is there room to write battle of eddystone, battle of portland and so on in the legend, so that the significance of these is obvious?
i thought the bonus was for holding areas of empty sea for no particular reason.
ian. :)

Sure it! Done.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [26.7.12] V18-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Version 18.
I fixed those things ian wanted above...
and synced all the border lines on the terrs.

Hopefully gameplay can be wrapped up shortly, then i am thinking of importing this into PS to try for some special effects :)

Click image to enlarge.
image
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Maps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apprich and 1 guest

Login