Research & Conquer [24 Oct 2013] V37 pg 103

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:49 pm

t-o-m wrote:One tech could be researching Esponage (sp?), like in the game where you can research it, [because trigger boarders arent allowed] this could be a boarder and THE ONLY boarder to a spy or several spies, and this could be able to bombard a city or other techs?


Unfortunately (and unless I am wrong of course ;-) ) borders (neither normal borders nor bombard borders) cannot be triggered by any action. So the borders that we put in the map have to stay all the game.

I think that your idea is in fact two different ideas, that can be treated separately.

Spies: We can have a place in the geographical map or a technology (we should decide where it makes more sense) that allows to bombard other players technologies. This would be interpreted as the player puting the money in spies rather than in armies.
The effect would be that the victim player would lose the effect of the bombarded technology for the next turn. But he could easily regain it by attacking the single neutral that would appear in that tech.
In my opinion, that effect is perfect. A player can disrupt other player's tech using spies, but cannot make permanent damage.

Bombs: One technology could be bombs. Just like the famous V-2 bombs that were used at the end of WWII to bombard London from Germany. It would allow the player to bombard the map from the technology itself. It would be interpreted as the player puting the money in missile bombs rather than in conventional armies, science, or spies.
Basic bombs would allow the player to bombard his own country, and advanced bombs would allow the player to bombard any part of the full map. Of course, such technology should be expensive!

Both of these technologies add additional strategical options. When a player places reinforcement at the begining of the turn, he can:
- Invest in military, deploying conventional armies, in the geographical map
- Invest in research, deploying in the la
- Invest in spionage, deploying in the Spies technology
- Invest in contra-espionage, deploying in any discovered technology to protect it from enemies spies
- Invest in bombs, deploying in the bomb technologie/s
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Good idea. There should be a version of the classic map with research.
Sergeant 1st Class Emperor_Metalman
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:45 pm
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby mibi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Nice, avatar.

And the idea is a good one too. In my Trojan War map i tried to have each god have a special ability instead of just a plain bonus. This could be a function of the research as well. different abilities. Espionage can see the whole map for foggy games, Flight can attack certain places on the map like airports would. Armour would autodeploy 1 on all your territs. You get the idea.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 am

Emperor_Metalman wrote:Good idea. There should be a version of the classic map with research.


Thanks for your comments, Emperor Metalman :-)

Unfortunately (and again, unless I am wrong) with the current XML there cannot be a version of the classic map with research. The reason is that this kind of game needs starting positions. Then in order to make a research version of the starting map, we should find 8 starting positions in that map.

Anyway, good idea. Maybe it can be done a bit later :-)
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 am

mibi wrote:Nice, avatar.

And the idea is a good one too. In my Trojan War map i tried to have each god have a special ability instead of just a plain bonus. This could be a function of the research as well. different abilities. Espionage can see the whole map for foggy games, Flight can attack certain places on the map like airports would. Armour would autodeploy 1 on all your territs. You get the idea.


Thanks for your comments mibi.

With the current XML, seeing all map in FoG means being able to bombard the full map. Not exactly the same :-( I have seen in the XML suggestions thread that there is the suggestion for observation points. If this suggestion was implemented we would be able to add the tech you suggested.

The same with autodeploy. Autodeploy is per territory, and for that reason cannot be triggered by a tech. :-(

Anyway, very nice suggestions. I apreciate them :-)
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:25 am

OliverFA wrote:The same with autodeploy. Autodeploy is per territory, and for that reason cannot be triggered by a tech. :-(


Correct - although again there is a suggestion pending on this that could work. (in fact Mibi needs it for his Trench Warfare map.)

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:56 am

yeti_c wrote:
OliverFA wrote:The same with autodeploy. Autodeploy is per territory, and for that reason cannot be triggered by a tech. :-(


Correct - although again there is a suggestion pending on this that could work. (in fact Mibi needs it for his Trench Warfare map.)

C.


Thanks for the confirmation Yeti ;-)

Anyway, I am determined to make this map with what we have right now. If the map is a success, there is always time to make a version 2 with the new features.
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby saraith on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:04 am

This sounds like a really interesting concept, Oliver. It makes me want to go and get Civilization so I can have a clue as to what you're talking about ;)

I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on this thread, though.
To achieve balance, first you must grow.
To grow, first you must learn.
To learn, first you must listen.
To listen, first you must shut the hell up.
-Buddhist saying
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class saraith
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 am
Location: Cow-Town
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (1)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 am

saraith wrote:This sounds like a really interesting concept, Oliver. It makes me want to go and get Civilization so I can have a clue as to what you're talking about ;)

I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on this thread, though.


Regardless - Civ 4 is one of the best games ever made (closly followed by Civ 3 and Civ 1 (I never played Civ 2 - But I heard that was pretty good too!)

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:07 am

yeti_c wrote:
saraith wrote:This sounds like a really interesting concept, Oliver. It makes me want to go and get Civilization so I can have a clue as to what you're talking about ;)

I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on this thread, though.


Regardless - Civ 4 is one of the best games ever made (closly followed by Civ 3 and Civ 1 (I never played Civ 2 - But I heard that was pretty good too!)

C.


And don't forget Civilization Revolution! I take my DS always with me when I go out of home only to play CivRev!

Thanks for the comment, Saraith. Definitely you should try Civ. You would enjoy it.
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby mibi on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:30 am

yeti_c wrote:
saraith wrote:This sounds like a really interesting concept, Oliver. It makes me want to go and get Civilization so I can have a clue as to what you're talking about ;)

I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on this thread, though.


Regardless - Civ 4 is one of the best games ever made (closly followed by Civ 3 and Civ 1 (I never played Civ 2 - But I heard that was pretty good too!)

C.


You know I played Civ 3 to death. I had it modded all to hell and spent hours making my own LOTR units. I even wrote a short story based on the game, historical fiction. But i never really played Civ4. I got a free Civ4 disk somehow and installed it, but only played through the tutorial a few rounds. I didn't have the manual and I was a bit scared that it would consume me.

Perhaps I should pick it back up if it is good as you say it is.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby t-o-m on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:41 pm

In fact, i joined this site because i played that game and liked the strategy in it, although i joined this because i thought it was like civ, its a different thing altogether :lol:
Colonel t-o-m
 
Posts: 2821
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Redistributing wealth
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:55 am

Main post updated
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby t-o-m on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:19 am

OliverFA wrote:
t-o-m wrote:One tech could be researching Esponage (sp?), like in the game where you can research it, [because trigger boarders arent allowed] this could be a boarder and THE ONLY boarder to a spy or several spies, and this could be able to bombard a city or other techs?


Unfortunately (and unless I am wrong of course ;-) ) borders (neither normal borders nor bombard borders) cannot be triggered by any action. So the borders that we put in the map have to stay all the game.

What i was saying was:

How about, BECAUSE trigger boarders aren't allowed, how about we have the ACTUAL tech be able to bombard places, like it is a spy?
Colonel t-o-m
 
Posts: 2821
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Redistributing wealth
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: New concept: Research

Postby OliverFA on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:25 am

t-o-m wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
t-o-m wrote:One tech could be researching Esponage (sp?), like in the game where you can research it, [because trigger boarders arent allowed] this could be a boarder and THE ONLY boarder to a spy or several spies, and this could be able to bombard a city or other techs?


Unfortunately (and unless I am wrong of course ;-) ) borders (neither normal borders nor bombard borders) cannot be triggered by any action. So the borders that we put in the map have to stay all the game.

What i was saying was:

How about, BECAUSE trigger boarders aren't allowed, how about we have the ACTUAL tech be able to bombard places, like it is a spy?


Yes. That is the way we are going to make it. And it opens two different possibilities:

- Saboteurs: The sabotage/spy tech itself borders with all the other player techs, but only for bombard purposes. So once a player has discovered sabotage, he can disrupt other player techs by bombarding them.

- Bombs: The technology borders with geographical territories, allowing the player to build up his missile force (deploy to bomb technology) and then bombard any part of the geographical map from it.
User avatar
Lieutenant OliverFA
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Somewhere in Spain
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Login