[Abandoned] - Vietnam

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Vietnam war map - please comment on v5.0 (massive change

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:04 am

I can't help but think that this map looks similar to the existing Indochina map... but there's one hell of a lot going on here that it's hard to make sense of from a quick glance :-k
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby kengyin on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

natty_dread wrote:
the title took me ages i hope i dont have to change it again :-s

Guess again :D

This map needs more size. You should apply for a supersize map and make it slightly larger so that you can fit all the army numbers and territory names properly.

Also, what graphics software were you using again? There's lots of pixelation going on...

gimp
Sergeant kengyin

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Postby kengyin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 am

can this please be moved to drafting room?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:48 am

kengyin wrote:gimp

Ok, then I have to wonder what you're doing wrong... How are you creating all that pixelation, when GIMP offers you selection tools that support feathered selections and using alpha channels for selections...

Do you use the latest version of GIMP? 2.6?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby kengyin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:55 am

yeah well the pixelation enhances the kind of clunky computer screen text effect (a military one like the ones in movies), you know those ones where theres the green screen and a radar on the side and the text types out and all the text is clunky and straight with no curves. thats kind of the effect i was going for
Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 am

kengyin wrote:yeah well the pixelation enhances the kind of clunky computer screen text effect (a military one like the ones in movies), you know those ones where theres the green screen and a radar on the side and the text types out and all the text is clunky and straight with no curves. thats kind of the effect i was going for

Ok, no. Forget that, pixelation looks bad.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Drafting Room...?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby kengyin on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:52 am

natty_dread wrote:
kengyin wrote:yeah well the pixelation enhances the kind of clunky computer screen text effect (a military one like the ones in movies), you know those ones where theres the green screen and a radar on the side and the text types out and all the text is clunky and straight with no curves. thats kind of the effect i was going for

Ok, no. Forget that, pixelation looks bad.

isn't that a graphics concern anyway, i mean theres no rush to find a solution right now. how about gameplay comments?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby Riskismy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 am

Hi kengyin,

I was half-way through posting how I didn't understand how the HCMT territories could have bonuses for holding 4+ of them, when it had 3 territories as killer neutrals. Then I realized that they were part of the red 'continent'. I think you should make that more clear, as well as noting what HCMT stands for at all.

Graphics issue, I know, but it's all I got. I like the gameplay as is. How about starting positions - are all territories occupied by players from the start? Again, sorry if this had been brought up in the 8 last pages, guess I'm lazy like that. :-|
Lieutenant Riskismy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby kengyin on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Riskismy wrote:Hi kengyin,

I was half-way through posting how I didn't understand how the HCMT territories could have bonuses for holding 4+ of them, when it had 3 territories as killer neutrals. Then I realized that they were part of the red 'continent'. I think you should make that more clear, as well as noting what HCMT stands for at all.

Graphics issue, I know, but it's all I got. I like the gameplay as is. How about starting positions - are all territories occupied by players from the start? Again, sorry if this had been brought up in the 8 last pages, guess I'm lazy like that. :-|

huh? you were actually right at the start, i made a blunder, it is extra troops per territory it isnt a regular bonus region. so a correction is that those territories start as neutrals and have decay of 2.

territory numbers

-8 northeast
-5 northwest
-7 red river delta
-1 hanoi
-5 north central coast
--26 north vietnam subtotal
-7 south central coast
-6 central highlands
-5 southeast
-1 saigon
-9 mekong river delta
--28 south vietnam subtotal
-6 ho chi minh trail
-1 aircraft carrier
-3 bombers
-2 landing craft
--12 non vietnam subtotal
---66 total territories

starting neutrals
HCMT3
HCMT4
HCMT6
hanoi
saigon
LC1
LC2

59 regular starting territories (a golden number)
Sergeant kengyin

Postby Riskismy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Cool, I caught one! :mrgreen:

So, what does HCMT mean anyways?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby kengyin on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:26 pm

ho chi minh trail
Sergeant kengyin

Postby Riskismy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Ah! Of course, silly me.
Still, I think you should make that clear on the map somewhere.

If not, people are apt to think up stuff for themselves, like "Hasbro Can't Multiply by Ten", or worse, "Has Conquerclub Mocked Teamwork". ;)
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby kengyin on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 am

drafting room please
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 am

kengyin wrote:drafting room please

hello?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 am

maybe i need to change the title to make it attract more attention....hmmm......
Sergeant kengyin

Re: free premium!!!!!!!

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:42 am

I think you're either going to have to cut down some territories or rearrange the map so that you can fit the territory names & army numbers in better. The map seems a bit cluttered.

Still, this map has a visual draft so I see no reason for this not to be in the drafting room. Try pm:ing mrbenn or thenobodies80.

Postby Leehar on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:47 am

kengyin wrote:maybe i need to change the title to make it attract more attention....hmmm......

You got me ;)

Idk, the colour scheme could do with some work? And the main map looks a bit cramped?
show
Colonel Leehar
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Medals: 135
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (23) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (2) General Contribution (9)

Postby 00iCon on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 am

kengyin wrote:maybe i need to change the title to make it attract more attention....hmmm......

+1
I was like, 'whaaa? when did i post in THATthread?'
Corporal 00iCon

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (1)

Re: Vietnam

Postby kengyin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:54 pm

can anyone suggest a good font to use because i have been browsing through many maps seeing how they make the text look really good and so far i cant seem to replicate it. i am improving using the airbrush but i need the text itself to stand out to. the current text is serif, and i tried using osaka which is crisp but it doesnt stand out very well because it is too thin
Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:11 am

kengyin wrote:can anyone suggest a good font to use because i have been browsing through many maps seeing how they make the text look really good and so far i cant seem to replicate it. i am improving using the airbrush but i need the text itself to stand out to. the current text is serif, and i tried using osaka which is crisp but it doesnt stand out very well because it is too thin

www.dafont.com

Postby kengyin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 am

Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 am

Also, I almost never use airbrush.

If you have trouble drawing neat lines, use the path tool and the stroke path -function. Working with the path tool takes some practice but it's very powerful when you learn to use it. Experiment with it.

Also, when you add text, check the "force auto-hinter" option on.

Postby kengyin on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:46 am

9 pages, 9 versions and half a year later and still in the melting pot, is that a record or what? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sergeant kengyin

Postby Riskismy on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 am

At the very least it's an impressive feat of patience.
Lieutenant Riskismy

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box