[Abandoned] - Vietnam

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Vietnam war map - please comment on v2.1

Postby kengyin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 pm

i just checked it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker_II
this is from 1972 much later than when my map was set anyway, in which time, i havent seen an actual map but by this time usa was clearly losing which is why they would have had to resort to such measures. my map is set in 1964 when it was more balanced
Sergeant kengyin

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Postby kengyin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:28 pm

3 votes against 1? do i suck at this or something because i honestly find yellow on blue for example much easier to read than black on blue :?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:36 pm

any more ideas? so far i have just de-saturated the image by 10 and darkened it by 5 plus made hanoi and saigon yellow with red and blue stars respectively. i am doing these changes on both images so the change of coloured text if happens will already be taken care of.
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:56 am

v2.2
-desaturated by a further 10 points
-darkened by 5 points
-hanoi and saigon now yellow to be more easily distinguised
-army digits added to check fit

goals accomplished
-not much but we can see how the army digits fit, they fit nicely now but some adjustment is in order for the small version

continued discussion
-black or coloured text
-should i include operation linebacker 2 in 1972

notes
-these adjustments so far are being done on the image with coloured text but if i decide to use the other one i can change it later
Sergeant kengyin

Re: Vietnam war map - please discuss black or coloured text

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:09 am

It is really starting to look nice.
The colors of the Central Highlands and the Mekong Delta do not match the mini-map. I would use the Mini-map colors.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby kengyin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:01 am

i made the smaller version only to see if the digits fit. they do

the text is now small but that can be worked on later, i'll do the actual smaller version once i have finished the large version to completion (if ever) this is just to see how the sizes of image and text are. in terms of size, the font is actually about the same as in classic so maybe i can also add shadows or other effects to make the text stand out like in classic but as long as i dont have to resize everything then im good, thats what i was worrying about the most anyway. in this copy i didnt make it sharper or anything it was just to test the digits. by the way do most people on here use small or large when they are playing?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 am

wait i cant actually do much to my text as all the lettering is 1 pixel wide! that means i cant have lighter inside with darker sides or whatever. how do other people do it???
Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:55 am

Actually you need to be able to fit 3 8:s
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby kengyin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:58 am

someone might get 100 troops?????
Sergeant kengyin

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:12 am

Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby kengyin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:04 pm

you jest! is that like on purpose or something?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:09 pm

a lot less comments now for some reason :? i mean the text colour is still in discussion and so is the bombing of hanoi, apart from that all i have done is fix up some colours and also background proportions and soon add another digit to each army digits. is my map a lost cause or something?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby jefjef on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Nice start and work. Stay with it.

Try to go with a progressive color flow. Take a look at how this map was done. Other than the brightness of the yellow it has a nice color flow.

Go with black text imo.

Ho Chi Minh trail looks more like a land mass than a trail. I think you could get a better feel/look if ya play with it. Try it like a route 66 highway. You could also do away with red route arrows by just using connections. You also don't need the entire trail for a bonus. Say +1 for any 3. Something to think about.

I see in your legend intro it's 1964. Hanoi bombing not an issue.

I would do away with the "puppet of US" crack though...

This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby kengyin on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:33 am

so i tried out your advice and made a different colour scheme going red to orange to green to blue instead of orange to red to blue to green. comparison (note that i havent bothered to change the text and legend colours in the new scheme yet)

new scheme

vs

old scheme

too bad i cant have two polls at once, so this can just be for discussion. so please discuss

cant really tell to be honest one has dark colours near the middle going to light colours near the top and bottom and the other vice versa.
the top of the new one is pretty good but the dark green looks a bit out of place
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:38 am

also how come there has been so much talk about the graphics but not much about gameplay? the only gameplay thing i remember is sully saying that ho chi minh trail was overpowered. things that could be discussed: how good are the bonuses? how good are the impassables? would this map allow many strategies? is the strategies for this map quite different from others? which region would you go for first provided you had a decent drop on each one? etc
please discuss (you can also discuss my continuing use of the word discuss)
Sergeant kengyin

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box