Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Hawaii Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Hawaii Map - w/ new poll (new maps on page 4)

Postby greenoaks on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm

i also like the background much more than anything you have had previously
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 pm

I think that the background is improved greatly and that it looks better a little more clustered to fit it. It isn't VERY crowded, so it should work better like that I think.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby saberty on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 am

Ok, so move forward with edits on the clustered one or the longer one or both? I like both....but I have seen both way to much :)
Lieutenant saberty

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm

I think the clustered one has a higher chance of making it through, so I would start with that one. Also, if you could put this in your OP and provide a smaller level image of when you're done that would be just swell. Have fun on photoshop ;)

-rd

Postby esiemer on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:I like that new arrangement a lot better. How's it look at small level?

Here's a direct link to the smaller image (its 640x359). It doesn't have territory names and the lines look crappy, but what do you think?:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/ezerok/HawaiiDraft6_640x359_dots.jpg
Lieutenant esiemer

Re: Hawaii Map - w/ poll (updated Jan 24)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:05 am

For the calculated bonuses, I think that could work well if they were simply truncated.

-rd

Postby esiemer on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 am

ok, so our map is in the Gameplay workshop stage. we read through the guidelines and want to make sure we progress.
to make things less confusing, we moved all maps to the Original Post and provided a history of our different versions.

please correct me if i am wrong, but here are some issues we are going to shelve for later because they don't seem to belong in the gameplay workshop:
1) rainbows or dotted/dashed liness
2) Maui's territory lines look bad
3) all the islands could use touchups, glows, etc
4) still some typos
5) title and credits missing

instead, lets work on gameplay. i'm going to use the foundry guidelines for gameplay as guidance:
1) balanced deployment-- right now our map has 40 territories. we would like Ni'ihau and Kaho'olawe to start neutral, so that gives us 38 total. this is not one of the "golden" numbers. we can solve this relatively easy by adding territories to islands (our original "analog" board has more) or by making the outrigger canoes their own territory, or both. there are 5 canoes so that would make 43. the canoes could also receive a bonus (ex: own 3 for +2, own 5 for +4)

2) reasonable bonus structure-- i put the info into the spreadsheet provided, and the numbers it generated are on the newest map post. this is an area where we don't know much about so we are curious to hear from the experts.
non-standard bonus-- as far as i can tell, our map has only standard bonuses. if we were to offer a bonus for holding outrigger canoes, i think that is non-standard, and i definitely would like expert advice :)

3) game type flexibility-- our map is pretty straightforward and i think it would be fun for 2-8 players/assassin/terminator/escalating/zombie/nuclear/freestyle and all that. i know if/when it is quenched, i will try to start a game in every conceivable configuration :D

4) player-friendliness-- again, our map is pretty straightforward. our key could use a touchup, but overall it's a basic map, and we got some good tips from ppl early on to fix things we forgot... am i missing anything?

5) open-play -- we think the map is pretty open and fun to play. however, looking at our original painted "analog" board, there were bottlenecks galore. we have learned from this and added the canoes as well as changed some territories around. we are totally willing to change it more to suit playability

6) function/form -- right now this might be our biggest issue because we are trying to figure out which works better, the "square" version of hawaii with less proportionality or the "widescreen" version that is more proportional but has less island area and more water area (both sizes of "square" map are in OP, big size of "widescreen" is in OP, and small size is in post prior to this). we kind of prefer the widescreen because it is more authentic, and if need be we can trim some of the territories pretty easily. if we get to do another Hawaii map (currently supported in the vote =D> ) it will most definitely be a "square" version utilizing much more landspace and less open ocean 'deadspace'.

however, rdsrds2120 likes the "square" version and he knows much more about this than us. we respect the big kahunas, so his advice carries weight.

so, how do we achieve consensus? we can change and rearrange the territories and islands around pretty easily, that is one of the advantages of working with islands instead of land masses. the attack routes especially are much easier to change with this map than with most maps.

so whaddya say? is the surf up, cause we're ready to paddle out!!
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby saberty on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 am

Hey partner, the links to the versions are off. The same map (original) is coming up for multiple links.

Sorry for not telling you in person....damn night shift. :)

Edit - I am on crack....you did great :)
Lieutenant saberty

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 am

I suggest you keep the real proportions but rotate/crop it like this:

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

I am really liking how this is turning out! I only have one comment right now and it is in response to this:
esiemer wrote:1) balanced deployment-- right now our map has 40 territories. we would like Ni'ihau and Kaho'olawe to start neutral, so that gives us 38 total. this is not one of the "golden" numbers. we can solve this relatively easy by adding territories to islands (our original "analog" board has more) or by making the outrigger canoes their own territory, or both. there are 5 canoes so that would make 43. the canoes could also receive a bonus (ex: own 3 for +2, own 5 for +4)

Use the outriggers as territories on their own, just make sure you can fit in the army numbers on the territory as well as the outrigger. Can you add in one more outrigger? Then maybe you can have the bonuses for the outriggers as such:
+1 for 2
+3 for 3
+5 for 4
+6 for 5
+8 for all
Or something like that.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby esiemer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I am really liking how this is turning out! I only have one comment right now and it is in response to this:

Use the outriggers as territories on their own, just make sure you can fit in the army numbers on the territory as well as the outrigger. Can you add in one more outrigger? Then maybe you can have the bonuses for the outriggers as such:
+1 for 2
+3 for 3
+5 for 4
+6 for 5
+8 for all
Or something like that.

sounds cool to me... do you have suggestions on where to put the new outrigger?
1-Kaho'olawe has some historical nautical significance
2-Halawa the easternmost terrtry of Molokai has a natural bay
3-north shore of Oahu has real life ports
4-all 3 western territories of Maui have real life ports.
5-the SE terrtry on Lanai
6-the terrtry on Kauai just South of the current port
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

esiemer wrote:sounds cool to me... do you have suggestions on where to put the new outrigger?

5-the SE terrtry on Lanai

This one seems to make more sense IMO.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby esiemer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:27 pm

I agree with you, SE Lanai has Manele Bay, so it works with the goegraphy as well as Lanai being a good central place to have a boat as far as gameplay is concerned.

the territory lines can be easily redrawn here, i would think that the same territory having a boat and attack lines to Maui & Kahoolawe makes Lanai potentially holdable... otherwise its gonna be really hard to hold this tiny island if 3/4 territories have attack routes. what do you think?

also, having a +1 for holding 2 boats, would this occur on the first move of some random drops? is there anyway to avoid someone getting a bonus on their first turn just for being lucky?
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Okay here's my suggestion. Add that one outrigger, and make them separate territories. If my count is right that would make 44 territories, and we can code all the outriggers as starting with 3 neutral. This will bring us to 38 (not a good number) territories. If you can add in 4 more territories and we should be good to go.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby esiemer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Okay here's my suggestion. Add that one outrigger, and make them separate territories. If my count is right that would make 44 territories, and we can code all the outriggers as starting with 3 neutral. This will bring us to 38 (not a good number) territories. If you can add in 4 more territories and we should be good to go.

roger that, i like those suggestions. it won't be too much of a problem to add 4 more territories either.

btw, i just checked out the Antarctica map today, amazing work! cant wait to play it :)
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 am

It's been a little while since an update and I just wanted to check to see how things are progressing. I've been following this map a bit, and just got up to speed on the latest posts... are you going to implement isaiah's suggestions, or do you have another idea in mind for finding a Golden Number?

I'll comment more once I know that this map is still active.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby saberty on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:08 am

We are still working on it but Esiemer just started a new job so we slowed down a bit. Not to worry, we will hit again in about a week.
Lieutenant saberty

Postby MarshalNey on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 pm

saberty wrote:We are still working on it but Esiemer just started a new job so we slowed down a bit. Not to worry, we will hit again in about a week.

No problem.
Captain MarshalNey

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:43 pm

saberty wrote:We are still working on it but Esiemer just started a new job so we slowed down a bit. Not to worry, we will hit again in about a week.

Great! Can't wait to see this one take aloof.

-rd

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:31 am

It's been over a month since the last update... are you guys still up to doing this?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby saberty on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:33 pm

For sure! Esiemer got a new job....then he got Another new job and is in the process of moving from Cali to PacNW. He will be settled in about two weeks...then we can take it back up. Sorry for the delay.
Lieutenant saberty

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 pm

saberty wrote:For sure! Esiemer got a new job....then he got Another new job and is in the process of moving from Cali to PacNW. He will be settled in about two weeks...then we can take it back up. Sorry for the delay.

No worries. Good to know this project hasn't been dropped :)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby esiemer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
saberty wrote:For sure! Esiemer got a new job....then he got Another new job and is in the process of moving from Cali to PacNW. He will be settled in about two weeks...then we can take it back up. Sorry for the delay.

No worries. Good to know this project hasn't been dropped :)

Thanks to Sully and everyone else for the support. Saberty, stofer71 and I are all committed to seeing this through. But like saberty said, I've gone from unemployed and checking this thread 5 times a day and wondering why there wasn't more feedback, to employed and overwhelmed, to a sweet job offer in another state with 12 days to move.

So I hope to have the next version up by the Ides of March.

Aloha,
e
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 pm

I liked the little turtle on versions 1-4. =(

The rainbows weren't as bad as people said. I think they just needed to be worked on a bit.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby RjBeals on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 am

here's a feeble attempt at another hawaii map a few years ago. Not much there - but worth a quick read.

But look what I did with the water there - you may want to make the ocean a cool pattern instead of the swimming pool feel it has now.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=68926&p=1683132
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box