[Abandoned] - Epic Epoch

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Epic Epoch (v3 p6)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Here's an adjusted version, with a helipad in Ocean and the territories in northern Aeternum reconfigured to give the Generals a slightly better position.

Also the Newtown helipad is now in the area that corresponds to Chicago, because it's so appropriate.

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 am

Hm. You currently have a separate legend for each area, which is of course good. But I think you should add a sort of "global legend" for the map elements that are shared between areas, ie. the helipads and ports. It may require some moving stuff around but I think it's doable.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 am

Other than the helipads, the cross-zone elements are the ports/markets that thematically belong in Seascape, and the throne/castle bone from Enclave. It's an odd combination to be putting in a whole new section of legend.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby tvremote on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 pm

What I really like about this map is how the different themes blend together a little bit. Along that vein I think it would be interesting if you added a newton bonus for the part of seascape outlined in yellow. TBH I thought it was part of newton originally because of the outline. I don't know if that would make seascape too overpowered, but it would be cool to have that little bit of blending of the themes.
Sergeant 1st Class tvremote

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:26 am

tvremote wrote:What I really like about this map is how the different themes blend together a little bit. Along that vein I think it would be interesting if you added a newton bonus for the part of seascape outlined in yellow. TBH I thought it was part of newton originally because of the outline. I don't know if that would make seascape too overpowered, but it would be cool to have that little bit of blending of the themes.

While it might be cool, that part already has its own associated bonus already, so making it more powerful would be unnecessary.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Alright, so Ocean has a connection with Seascape (the not-so-local market), and Enclave has a connection with Aeternum (the throne bonus), so what about a connection with Fahrenheit and Newtown? Maybe put a house or factory on one of the Fahrenheit territories? Like maybe a house on FC1 or a factory on FT3?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:07 pm

I don't think there's really a point. From a gameplay standpoint, a single auto-deploy or 1-bonus territory doesn't fit very well with the Oasis-like mechanics; from a thematic standpoint, there's not really a reason to put a factory in the middle of the desert. I mean, the helicopter pad is already kind of stretching it.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:I don't think there's really a point. From a gameplay standpoint, a single auto-deploy or 1-bonus territory doesn't fit very well with the Oasis-like mechanics; from a thematic standpoint, there's not really a reason to put a factory in the middle of the desert. I mean, the helicopter pad is already kind of stretching it.

I was thinking more in terms of the factory using the adjacent oases' resources.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Okay, some bonus hammering-out:

• Newtown
    • I suggest making Housing 2, Business 3, and Industrial 1. Given the two territory Housing bonus area, and the fact that the Business and Industrial districts are stocked with +1 bonuses, I think it'll work out fine.
  • Enclave
    • Barley to +3, since it has an extra border with the helipad.
    • Meadow to +4, as all of its territories are borders.
  • Aeternum
    • Do castles count in the region bonus calculation? I noticed Mighty's realm only has two territories excluding the castle, for example.
  • Fahrenheit
    • The Twin Oasis bonus seems rather steep, given the other bonuses around the map, even with the auto-decay. Maybe something like +10 to +12 would work better.
    • The Small Oases I think would be more appropriately valued at +2, like I said before, given the other bonuses on the map.
    • I realize there's the auto-decay of all desert territories that plays into this, but most of the time , no one leaves a stack of more than 1 out in the desert, so it doesn't have an effect. In addition, they're cheap territories toward the territory bonus, and it's not likely someone's going to gather up your desert territories. Also, you only have to guard one territory (2 with the Twin Oasis, but you get a much larger bonus) and with a bonus of even +2, that's pretty easy to maintain. Even if you make the Twin Oasis bonus +10, that's +3 per Twin Oasis territory after adding the auto-decay.
    • Also, what's the reasoning behind the dark brown lines? It seems they don't have a gameplay function... Were those put there to define the territory formula you used for each piece?
  • Ocean and Seascape seem fine to me.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Newtown:
I'm not sure if it's clear that to get a bonus in Newtown you have to hold every territory of the corresponding color. I need a way to state that more succinctly, though.

Enclave:
I might increase Barley to 3. Meadow might be worth 4, maybe.

Aeternum:
Yes, castles count in region calculations, just as they do in Feudal War.

Fahrenheit:
To get to the Oases, you need to break through some neutrals, so I want them a bit overvalued.I'm thinking something like 3 for every oasis territory, 3 for every desert territory one away from the twins, 2 for the next layer, and 1 for the next layer (maybe 2 for FL3).
The brown lines are pretty much just there to delineate which region of the desert corresponds to which Classic territory, and accordingly separate the regions that the letter codes refer to.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Newtown:
I'm not sure if it's clear that to get a bonus in Newtown you have to hold every territory of the corresponding color. I need a way to state that more succinctly, though.

Haha, okay. I remember asking about this before and thought you said the opposite, but okay. You could probably stand to increase them by one a piece, except Industrial, then. Rather difficult to hold any one color except green.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Enclave:
I might increase Barley to 3. Meadow might be worth 4, maybe.

You really should...

Evil DIMwit wrote:Aeternum:
Yes, castles count in region calculations, just as they do in Feudal War.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Fahrenheit:
To get to the Oases, you need to break through some neutrals, so I want them a bit overvalued.I'm thinking something like 3 for every oasis territory, 3 for every desert territory one away from the twins, 2 for the next layer, and 1 for the next layer (maybe 2 for FL3).
The brown lines are pretty much just there to delineate which region of the desert corresponds to which Classic territory, and accordingly separate the regions that the letter codes refer to.

Ah, okay. I just made the assumption they'd all be neutral 1's like Oasis, but your idea seems good. And with it I think the bonuses would be fine with that.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 am

Oasis is not all neutral 1s. They do get higher as you get closer to the Grand Oasis.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:07 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:Oasis is not all neutral 1s. They do get higher as you get closer to the Grand Oasis.

Do they? *goes to check...* Oh, I guess you're right. Silly me!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Edited Enclave and Newtown zone bonuses; adjusted Newtown legend and moved helipad legend to a more thematic spot.

Click image to enlarge.

I think my next step is neutral counts. My current thoughts:
3 for every oasis territory (including each twin oasis)
3 for each FT desert territory; 2 for FJ and FL; 1 for FN
Newtown: 2 for each house, 3 for each factory and store
Enclave: 4 on the Throne
Seascape and Ocean: 3 on each market
Aeternum: 2 for each territory in a castle's realm; 5 for each castle that isn't a starting position; 3 for each village; 1 for every other territory in AD, AL, AB, AO
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Epic Epoch (v4 p7)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Your neutrals seem good. It might also be worth it to put 2 on EM1 or EM2, OE1 or OE2, and all of the territories with local markets. EM and OE, just cuz they're 2-territory bonuses, and the markets because it would help against too much of a starting bonus since resource pairs wouldn't be too difficult to drop.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:01 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Your neutrals seem good. It might also be worth it to put 2 on EM1 or EM2, OE1 or OE2, and all of the territories with local markets. EM and OE, just cuz they're 2-territory bonuses, and the markets because it would help against too much of a starting bonus since resource pairs wouldn't be too difficult to drop.

As I've noted, I'm putting 3 neutrals on each market.

As for EM and OE, they're 1 troop each and on a map this big, I'd think it wouldn't make much difference.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Your neutrals seem good. It might also be worth it to put 2 on EM1 or EM2, OE1 or OE2, and all of the territories with local markets. EM and OE, just cuz they're 2-territory bonuses, and the markets because it would help against too much of a starting bonus since resource pairs wouldn't be too difficult to drop.

As I've noted, I'm putting 3 neutrals on each market.

As for EM and OE, they're 1 troop each and on a map this big, I'd think it wouldn't make much difference.

(Sorry, I guess I need to read more thoroughly :| ) I suppose you could adjust starting positions if you wanted to as well, but that's fine. What's next on the agenda?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Now...

Click image to enlarge.

Now we wait for more input.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 pm

A lot of the maps on this map are objective maps. Yet this map doesn't have an objective.

Have you considered one?

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:26 pm

An objective would be tricky to balance. It'd have to be big enough that you have to be active in a large part of the map but small enough that it doesn't require you to take over the whole map already. I can see it being balanced if it's something like...
Hold 3 of the following:
- The Twin Oasis
- 6 Castles
- 4 Markets
- The Throne
- All Stores

But that's quite complex so I don't know if it's a good idea.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:56 pm

I like the idea. If only you can find the legend space for it...

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:09 pm

What I could do is, I could make a little special icon, and then distribute it throughout the map -- say, one on each castle, store, and market, two on each Twin Oasis terr., three on the Throne, say, and then say "Hold 12 to win" or some such. But then people would have to count, too.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:But then people would have to count, too.

Oh noes, brain hurt! :lol:

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 pm

natty_dread wrote:

I thought the same thing also! LOL If someone is holding 12 that likely means they are going to win anyhow... just a thought...
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 142
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (2)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

I thought the same thing also! LOL If someone is holding 12 that likely means they are going to win anyhow... just a thought...

Well, it's borderline, which I think the good objectives (e.g. Europe 1914, Third Crusade) are. You can get it with all the Castles and the Twin Oasis; with the Throne, half the castles, and all the Markets; with Newtown, Seascape, and Fahrenheit; but it might be easier to go with a mix. It actually might be an interesting way to incentivize people to spread their interests out over the map and to prevent games from going on too long.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box