Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - SlovakNationalUprising

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Slovak National Uprising/SNP-another update

Postby theBastard on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:31 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Oh hell yeah! Now that looks like a proper military map. I wish I had done this on the communism maps. I really love the arrows, plus everything is pretty clear. It looks great!

But unfortunately, uprisers isn't a word in the English language. I can't think of anything better than rebel though partisans works too. What's the word for rebel/upriser in Slovakian?

I am glad that you like it. it is new power for me :D for witch map of communism you can done this? and you still can ;) for Cuba could be oneway assault interesting - it is small map, so some restrictions could be fine.

partisan is term of rebels. so I will go with partisan (which is also English as you mentioned).

I will change also railways.

just one thing: +2 for any 6 towns - I mean for ANY town (town, town/battle site, town/airport) - is this clear?

EDIT: new "real" railways and some changes.
Click image to enlarge.

and a little changed arrows for oneway assaults in regions.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Re: Slovak National Uprising/SNP-new railways

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah, +2 for any 6 towns makes sense to me... you might do to put somthing like "any town, battlesite or airport"

Speaking of which... that bonus is a little tough to get. I mean, if you hold six towns, you have six borders and countless ways a person can attack you. It seems like a bonus that is impossible to get. You might be better with +1 for any 2 towns/battlesites/airports.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Yeah, +2 for any 6 towns makes sense to me... you might do to put somthing like "any town, battlesite or airport"

what about this? could it works?
Click image to enlarge.

Industrial Helix wrote:Speaking of which... that bonus is a little tough to get. I mean, if you hold six towns, you have six borders and countless ways a person can attack you. It seems like a bonus that is impossible to get. You might be better with +1 for any 2 towns/battlesites/airports.

but if player holds any German unit route (3-4 towns) he get +2/+3 with next any 3/2 towns he get next +2. will speak more about this.

one more thing - the -1 for holding town with garrison without all German unit - I meant this -1 without unit where town with garrison belongs. not any unit. how this shortly explain?

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 am

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying if you hold the garrison but not the whole route then you get -1?
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 am

yes.
example: you hold Zilina (town with garrison) and Zilina "belongs" to German unit route of von Junck (Cadca, P.Bystrica, Zilina) and you do not hold all von Junck you get -1. so you if you hold another German unit route, for Zilina you get -1 (to the time when you will hold all von Junck).

EDIT: new arrows. better?
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am

I dunno about a bonus system like that. It's already very hard to hold the German route anyway... if it has a negative result, it might become impossible. Though, you could make it -1 without the whole route and add in an autodeploy on each town on the route.

It would be realistic because the Nazi's would be using supplies from the town to strengthen their army and it would support the idea that once taken, it is hard to get the Nazi's out.

Plus, it would make the route stations more easy to defend as there is always an autodeploy strengthening the armies there.

AND it would discourage players from taking the towns unless they were planning to take the route. Because if you commit to the route, then you're deployable armies are going to disappear in favor of the autodeploys.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby theBastard on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:33 am

Industrial Helix wrote:I dunno about a bonus system like that. It's already very hard to hold the German route anyway... if it has a negative result, it might become impossible. Though, you could make it -1 without the whole route and add in an autodeploy on each town on the route.

hm, this sounds logic... but I can not have so much autodeploys. WE NEED CONDITIONAL AUTODEPLOYS!
Industrial Helix wrote:It would be realistic because the Nazi's would be using supplies from the town to strengthen their army and it would support the idea that once taken, it is hard to get the Nazi's out.

the truth is that only few towns was retaken by partisans...
what about to do only towns (not with garison, not battle sites, not airports) +1 autodeploy?
Industrial Helix wrote:Plus, it would make the route stations more easy to defend as there is always an autodeploy strengthening the armies there.

AND it would discourage players from taking the towns unless they were planning to take the route. Because if you commit to the route, then you're deployable armies are going to disappear in favor of the autodeploys.

I want to have any negative bonus here... will think about this a little...

EDIT: if towns will be +1 autodeploy, then the German unit routes will be more easy to hold.

Re: Slovak National Uprising/SNP-set up the bonuses

Postby theBastard on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:08 pm

what is needed to resolve here? graphics? gameplay? bonuses?

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Nothing that I can think of is wrong with this map. Let's sticky it and see what happens in two days, if no one has any objections then I will stamp it.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:22 am

Whoa... I moved this without stamping and posting... Sorry about that.

Cook Industrial Helix

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:24 am

thebastard, first of all I'm really happy to see that your mapmaker ability is increasing day after day, continue in this way.
Now, about your supersize request....try to keep the extra space at the minimum but the map is worth some additional pixels, so go with it. :P

Good Work!

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby theBastard on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:33 am

thanks for stamp, Helix :)

thenobodies80 wrote:thebastard, first of all I'm really happy to see that your mapmaker ability is increasing day after day, continue in this way.

yes my thumb is better. hope it will be more better...
thenobodies80 wrote:Now, about your supersize request....try to keep the extra space at the minimum but the map is worth some additional pixels, so go with it. :P

I know the explantations and legend cover much place. I can not see any way how to reduce it. maybe I could reduce map to 840x600/620, but it does not means that it would helps...
thenobodies80 wrote:Good Work!

Nobodies

thanks for supersize, thanks for nice words, nobodies... :)

Re: Slovak National Uprising/SNP-lets reduce the legend

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:15 am

What's going on with this map? I want to play!
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: Slovak National Uprising/SNP

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:33 am

theBastard wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:I'm actually really impressed with this map... it seems to convey the military events quite well and enables players to re-enact the event. Plus, it covers a region not on CC already and an area of WWII largely overlooked. So you've got my support.

Dukasaur wrote:Strongly concur with both of those points. Plus, it's nice to see some work from a brother Slav..:-)

I am glad that you (both) feel what was my goal :P where are you from? it shows Canada now...

I've been in Canada most of my life but I was born in Praha...:)

theBastard wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:About the only thing I would say is that the little yellow dotted lines for the railroad will be very hard to see for old farts like me with bad eyes. I would make big thick yellow lines there, with a diameter at least 1/2 of the diameter of the train station boxes.

Same thing with the one-way arrows... bigger and bolder.

there is needed some edits. will see what I can do for you.

Yes, the new railroads and arrows are much better!
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Slovak National Uprising/SNP

Postby theBastard on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 am

Dukasaur wrote:I've been in Canada most of my life but I was born in Praha...:)

so we can speak CzechoSlovak... :D Praha is beautiful city, did you visit it after arrival?
Dukasaur wrote:Yes, the new railroads and arrows are much better!

thanks. glad you like it.

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Update! Update! Update! ;)
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby theBastard on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:31 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:Update! Update! Update! ;)

thanks Nola for interest and support. but there will be no more updates.

this is my end in this page. I mean not only in drawing maps, but I will not be active here more.
I came back after my thumb injury. I think that this map is interesting (as gameplay, also WWII theme) and only few people had interest here.

look how much guys are active on Foundries. where is Victor Sullivan, cairnswk, Kabanellas, The Bison King, Evil DIMwit, isaiah40, MrBenn, gimil, rdsrds2120, DJ Teflon, 40kguy, OliverFA, AndyDufresne, Bruceswar, RedBaron0, TaCktiX... these guys are permanent active and look how much they posted on my maps (Baltic Crusade, Medieval Oligarchy, Invasions map pack, Slovak National Uprising). I tried to help or post my ideas to much of their maps and also they posted to each other. so realy guys thanks for interest and your ideas...

I would like to thanks some guys for support and help. I found here some realy cool guys. at the first place Industrial Helix and thenobodies80 for everything, Nola_Lifer, ender516. also natty_dread for his mainly graphics help, MarshalNey for some genial inputs.

I understand that everybody has own real life, family, job but me too...

Re: byebye.

Postby The Bison King on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:13 am

A bummer. You had a lot of really great idea's, it's a shame that none of them ever came into completion :(

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 am

I am sorry you feel like this theBastard.
I for one have only just returned to being active since early June after almost 12 months away, so i have not been permanently active, and i do have other projects and RL to consider. In fact my posting will soon decline for the next semester at uni.
Also, you should know, that you don't always get back in life from those you give to. Sometimes it comes back from others, and sometimes not for long time. If you fall down, then get up and keep trying. If your trying is not hard enough, then perhaps you will keep falling down, and your heart was not really in your projects. But whatever your decision, i wish you luck. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:57 am

thenobodies80 wrote:thebastard, first of all I'm really happy to see that your mapmaker ability is increasing day after day, continue in this way.

Bastard, I really agree with nobodies here. So you can't leave when you're getting better by the day. Things can move quite slowly on the Foundry, you'll just have to get used to it....

I'm sorry I don't post much around here, but most of the times, I honestly don't feel comfortable enough to do it. I feel that to give a valid and honest opinion that goes a little beyond superficiality one must have the time to really dig into the map and be totally in sync with the thread. With all my real life issues, wife, work and all, plus my involvement on the foundry has a mapmaker just keep me a bit overwhelmed... and I also play (yup I do like to roll and get 1's and 2's) and have a somewhat strong involvement with clan issues, so I permanently have a reasonable amount of games going on which can really take a lot of time from you.

Anyway, I hope you do consider that decision of yours. I'd like to continue to see you hanging around this house.
Major Kabanellas

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:03 am

Do not say bye as the map have been coming along great guns. Keep at it and in the end we can all play it. Never posted in your thread as I never had anything to say that could be deemed worthy.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:00 am

If you decide to continue with this map, I have one advice:

Take the img tags off from old versions on the first page. I wanted to check out your latest version, but since you have all the images in tags and they all have to load, the images load too slowly...

I'll try to check out your map if you continue working on it.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby natty dread on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 am

I'm not really good on analyzing gameplay, so I'll leave that to someone more capable and give you some graphical advice...

The background you have doesn't really fit with the style & theme of the map. The paper background looks like something that would go well with some of your other projects, the medieval maps... it has that old, worn parchment look. Which doesn't really go well with a WWII era map - you should have a slightly newer looking paper for it.

Secondly, the graphical elements you have on the map are not working well with the background. They don't look like they belong on that background, sort of like they're just pasted on it. However, like said, I'd rather you'd try finding a background that would work better with the elements you have, since I don't think the background really works for the theme.

Also, the "worn parchment style" has been really overdone lately... not that that counts for a reason on it's own, but like I said, you could do better for the theme of the map with some other kind of background.

I'm a bit concerned that 2/3 of your map is legend & instructions, and only 1/3 is playable area. You need to make it simpler - not necessarily simplify the gameplay, but try making it easier for the player to understand... streamline the instructions - no one wants to have to read a novel just to understand how a map works... try using more visual elements for the legend, replace as much of the text with visual elements as you can.

To that effect... perhaps you could also tilt the playable area a bit and zoom in to it, to also make it less cluttered... then arrange the legend & other instructions, title, etc. around the map. The title could also be more prominent - current title is a bit boring.

Anyway, I hope I'm not writing all this for nothing ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:56 am

theBastard wrote:where is Victor Sullivan

Right here ;)

Actually, I've been watching this map. Just sometimes it takes a bit to hunker down and type all that needs to be said for gameplay (I'm like the opposite of natty in that respect - graphics aren't my forte), especially when you've got a gameplay-giant of a map like this one. Just give me some time ;) I've had other things that I've been busy with lately. And feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll be out of town this week, but I may be able to pop in from time to time.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:08 am

I apologize on not posting, but while you had those other maps up I was literally indisposed to providing feedback, only doing the bare minimum. And when I would have posted on SNP, Helix had already stated what I was going to say. I like seeing the first update AFTER a Draft stamp before making a long critique. I'm sorry that my reticence was a reason for driving you away, but I do ask that you please stay for this once. You won't regret it, I promise.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box