[Abandoned] - Gettysburg

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 1 pg 3

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:49 am

Need a little time to digest, but I like where you are heading.

Also, there is absolutely no better person for you to work with on this map other than Marshall. This should turn out well.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Major Seamus76
Media Volunteer
Media Volunteer
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Medals: 106
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (31) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (5)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 1 pg 3

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 pm

All I can say right now is much better!! =D> =D>
User avatar
Lieutenant isaiah40
 
Posts: 3958
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 5 pg 3

Postby Minister X on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Are there no complaints about this map? It's perfect? Or is it just that no one cares?
8-[
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 1 pg 2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Minister X wrote:Are there no complaints about this map? It's perfect? Or is it just that no one cares?
8-[

Patience, Young Sasquatch, Sully is on the case.

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 5 pg 3

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:59 pm

When one thinks of Gettysburg, he thinks of the Civil War, the Union, the Confederacy... There seems to be a lack of the two sides of the war/battle.I'm sure MarshalNey could help with this, but I think the roads should be designated as Confederate or Union, and you can only get a bonus for holding multiple roads if they're all either Confederate or Union. Also, with the auto-deploys for Round Top and Cemetery Hill, it seems rather overpowered to give a bonus for holding them in addition to the auto-deploy. Try something like +2 auto for Round Top, +1 auto for Cemetery Hill, and maybe up Gettysburg to +2 auto as well.

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 5 pg 3

Postby Minister X on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 am

Okay. I am in the process of totally re-designing the map. I'm using "army boxes" instead of drawing borders. This allows the roads to be shown as roads, with the army boxes strung along them like beads. In addition, some boxes will be blue, some red, and some neutral. The blue will correspond to Union positions as per the USMA "Overview Map" for July 3rd; the red will correspond with Confederate positions. They, in addition to the roads, will be continents. This will be similar to the Austerlitz map. Watch this space.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 5 pg 3

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:42 am

I like the change in direction, but I'm struck with how perfect most of the territories look. We've got quadrilaterals aplenty all over. It doesn't really jibe with what I think of when I hear "Civil War." And while I think this is closer to Gettysburg than your first go at it, I'm distracted from the Round Top by people marching into town. It's more of a Preparations for the Battle of Gettysburg than the Battle of Gettysburg. I realize you've already done one absolutely massive redo on the idea and if you want to set my comments aside I won't be offended and will still try to get its gameplay balanced and its elements clear.

Speaking of which, I almost missed Impassable's description on the map. Perhaps set that off?
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: Rapid City, SD
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 5 pg 3

Postby Minister X on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:44 pm

SIXTH DRAFT
This is a complete from-scratch re-design - almost worthy of having started a whole new thread. This version gives roughly equal weight to the most famous elements of the battle and to the nature of Gettysburg as a road junction, which is why the battle was fought there in the first place. The "elements" are the recognizable placenames and the disposition of forces illustrating the general course of day two of the battle.

If/when choosing to display a disposition of forces for this battle, more so than for most, the question is: when? Each day had different starting/ending dispositions. The ones I chose are from a US Military Academy map illustrating what they call the "Overview" of day two - neither the start or end, but a representative look at where most of the forces were most of the day. This seemed to me to show battlelines that would not only be most familiar to most people and run along the most famous landmarks, but also give the most representative feel for the engagement as a whole.

There are 79 terts and 17 different bonuses. There are also seven terts with autodeploys (of one or two). These seven will start with neutral forces of 3 troops each.

The bonuses come in two flavors: roads and historically disposed forces. Each road continent is discrete and solid and linear. Disposed forces continents are a lot less organized/cohesive. The two types overlap: to own certain roads you'd need to own certain disposed forces terts and vice-versa. This overlapping is extensive but only takes place on about half the map, making this something of two maps in one. The gameplay up north, with several small and one very large road will be much "cleaner" than gameplay in the more confused south-center.

Confused, but hopefully no confusing. Roads have names to identify them as per the legend, and are strung along the actual roads. Disposed forces are colored red or blue and have little tags denoting whether they belong to a left or right flank or the center of their respective side. I think this should all be clear enougth so that the only prospective players who are scared away will be those like me, who have almost zero tolerance for anything that looks like it might be confusing. :geek:

I see no difficulties making a smaller version of this map. This large version is 840 x 800.

show: superseded
Last edited by Minister X on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:07 pm

At first glance this is far, far superior graphically to the last version of the map. The tones and colours really give a feel for what the map is about. I shall take a closer look at it in the future, when your game play has been more fine tuned!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 pm

What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.... :-({|= :-^

Wow, you've really changed this around.
i have suggestions that are gameplay and graphics...when i started doing this map, i had some difficulty in remebering who was Union and who was Confederate. Is there anyway you could work that reminder into the legend somehow for non-US players.

Also, i see you have bonuses for right flank, centre and left of each side which agrregate for Union 13 and Confed. 16.
Is this unbalanced for gameplay?

Also, do these bonuses include only the coloured positions marked on the map of also ER1, TR1 and TR2 for instance.

I am really lilking where you are heading with this though.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:... difficulty in remebering who was Union and who was Confederate. Is there anyway you could work that reminder into the legend somehow for non-US players.

Also, i see you have bonuses for right flank, centre and left of each side which agrregate for Union 13 and Confed. 16.
Is this unbalanced for gameplay?

Also, do these bonuses include only the coloured positions marked on the map of also ER1, TR1 and TR2 for instance.

I honestly think all these questions could be answered simply by spending another minute studying the map.

The "tags" on the red and blue boxes indicate C for Confederate and U for Union (or USA). However, in the legend, I can put these red and blue colors under the appropriate words to strengthen the association. It will make the legend more difficult to read, however, so I'd like to hear from others whether they think it's needed.

The fact that there are more Confed. than Union terts makes absolutely zero difference to gameplay balance.

The right-most legend indicates the bonuses for the roads. Apparently this is not sufficiently clear? I have room to add the words "ROAD BONUSES". Would that help?

**I'm glad the reaction so far has been generally positive. Thanks.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby cairnswk on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Minister X wrote:...
I honestly think all these questions could be answered simply by spending another minute studying the map.

The "tags" on the red and blue boxes indicate C for Confederate and U for Union (or USA). However, in the legend, I can put these red and blue colors under the appropriate words to strengthen the association. It will make the legend more difficult to read, however, so I'd like to hear from others whether they think it's needed.

The fact that there are more Confed. than Union terts makes absolutely zero difference to gameplay balance.

The right-most legend indicates the bonuses for the roads. Apparently this is not sufficiently clear? I have room to add the words "ROAD BONUSES". Would that help?

**I'm glad the reaction so far has been generally positive. Thanks.


You've left UC out of the bonuses legend ;)
From my experience with somewhat complex maps like this (and yes even i still don't get it correct out of the box), you need to make it perfectly clear what constitutes a bonus or not. That is to say, not everyone will read the map just like i did. :oops:

A lot of players will want to jump into the map and go pow wow and immediately expect to understand it, so anything you can do to assist this sitution and lessen your pain later would help...i.e. some colouration of the union and confed legend pieces. Perhaps this can be done as a background colour.

The title of Road bonuses or some such will assist also.

Are there going to be any bombardment positions? you have cannon on the map which leads me to think there might be.

Also, i have to say the additon of the flags in the background leads me to think literally one side against the other on the map, and as such i would consider to be distracting from the actual gameplay.
Perhaps they can be moved to the legend where they could be more useful in identifying the sides.
Just some suggestions if they help. :)
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

I'll fix those things. It means losing the flags, which is okay if something just as good replaces them. There's plenty of imagery from the war, so it shouldn't be too hard, but if anyone wants to propose something specific I'll be receptive.

In Austerlitz both sides are shown, as here, and even have little men facing each other, but there's no confusion I've seen that would lead asnyone to say, "leads me to think literally one side against the other on the map, and as such i would consider to be distracting from the actual gameplay." So hopefully it's just the flags, and their removal, unfortunate as that may be, will solve the problem.

Bombardment positions: I had considered them but three things made me decide against them. 1) unlike so many earlier battles, at Gettysburg the artillery was spread onto every commanding height. For instance, Little Round Top was bristling with canon, but it also had infantry. It would be misleading to make it a bombardment position. 2) This was a big battle for the time. The union line is two miles top to bottom. Artillery had limited range. At this scale it would have been just to the next tert - rarely beyond. 3) I'm just starting out as a mapmaker. I'm having enough trouble (as you've seen) getting just a few different elements explained. Bombardment terts would add one more.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby MarshalNey on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 pm

I agree with Minister about the bombardments. While they would be a nice touch in a more complex map, I believe that Minister is aiming for a moderately simple gameplay framework. Given that goal, the number of gameplay elements should be small, probably no more than one, possibly two 'non-standard' types on the map (e.g., autodeploys, superbonuses, bombardments, one-way attacks, etc.)

Wow, though, this map is looking wonderful =D> I think that the framework that you've settled upon here is a keeper. The attack routes look reasonable and historically sound too. Tweaking and balancing for the drop will probably be the main bulk of work.

I'm going to check the 1st post and see if you've posted any ideas for starting neutrals and the number of regions per player on the drop. If they're not there, then that's the next step I think as far as gameplay is concerned.

Excellent work!

-- Marshal Ney

P.S. Edit: Okay I checked the 1st post and it needs an update. Newcomers to this thread will see that post, and it needs to provide them with easy info that they can use to comment constructively (plus it helps us CAs too :) ). I realize that you just came out with this version, but I think it will be the definitive revision as far as concept goes, so it's worthwhile to revise the 1st post as well.

P.P.S. Edit: For neutral starts, obviously the auto-deploy regions should all be included. The smaller road & army bonuses should also be considered (like the MR bonus for instance). Try to tweak it so that you get a "golden number" of regions open for the drop. The "golden numbers" are listed under the Foundry gameplay guidelines (I think).
User avatar
Captain MarshalNey
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 am

MarshalNey wrote:I agree with Minister about the bombardments. While they would be a nice touch in a more complex map, I believe that Minister is aiming for a moderately simple gameplay framework. Given that goal, the number of gameplay elements should be small, probably no more than one, possibly two 'non-standard' types on the map (e.g., autodeploys, superbonuses, bombardments, one-way attacks, etc.)

Wow, though, this map is looking wonderful =D> I think that the framework that you've settled upon here is a keeper. The attack routes look reasonable and historically sound too. Tweaking and balancing for the drop will probably be the main bulk of work. ...Excellent work!

Thank-you. That's great news.

MarshalNey wrote: For neutral starts, obviously the auto-deploy regions should all be included. The smaller road & army bonuses should also be considered (like the MR bonus for instance). Try to tweak it so that you get a "golden number" of regions open for the drop. The "golden numbers" are listed under the Foundry gameplay guidelines (I think).

Live and learn. I looked up the golden numbers. They are HERE under "Balanced Deployment". I have 79 total terts and the 7 autodeploys are already noted as being neutral starters so that's 72: a bad number. I need to add one to six more neutral starters. I want to prevent unreasonably good drops, so the small continents are the obvious targets. If I include continents with 4 terts that would be too many add'l neutral starters but two's and three's are just right. MR1, HAR1, HUN1 and YP1 will become Neutral starters, thus giving me the golden number of 68 deployable starters.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:14 am

So far so good, your placement of neutrals follows logically and should eliminate the worst outcomes of a 'lucky drop'.

I'm going to fool around with some math and figure out (if my brain is up to it) the probability of dropping any of those 4-region bonuses. There are a whopping 7 of them, which may or may not be a problem.

It may seem that I'm paying undue attention to mitigating the luck of the drop, but the map is very bonus-rich in both number and payout- so if a bonus is dropped, it will likely be a game-changer (+4 bonus or higher). If worse comes to worst, consider lowering the bonus values overall.

Finally, you might consider playing around with some of the neutral values to reflect the ease or importance of the bonus in question. For instance, Round Top gives an autodeploy of 2 (which it should as it was critical) so maybe it should start neutral 4 instead of neutral 3... same could be said for Western Cemetery Hill. Or alternatively you could lower the neutral values for the other autodeploys to 2.

-- Marshal Ney
User avatar
Captain MarshalNey
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm no fan of lucky drops so I also will try to simulate many games and see what the chances are. Anything at all significant should trigger the adding of more neutral starters.

Gameplay: The bonuses are as per the spreadsheet but the rest is just my first/best guess at things. Please inform me: when can/would playtesting begin? Is it only when a game goes Beta? Or is there some off-record playtesting once XML is done but before Beta?
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 pm

I set up a spreadsheet to calculate how often a bonus would be earned on the drop. It's not 100% foolproof but it's got to be close. If anything, I've been conservative. (Details if asked.)

With eight players the chances are negligible. With six they're about 3%. One in 33 games would have a drop onto a bonus. With five players, surprisingly enough, the odds aren't much worse. With four players there should be a bonus drop once in every twenty games on average. I could calculate more -- for three and for two players -- but it's very time-consuming and I think these numbers might be good enough to conclude that no changes to the map are needed. I was expecting them to be much worse.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby MarshalNey on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 am

Minister X wrote:I set up a spreadsheet to calculate how often a bonus would be earned on the drop. It's not 100% foolproof but it's got to be close. If anything, I've been conservative. (Details if asked.)

With eight players the chances are negligible. With six they're about 3%. One in 33 games would have a drop onto a bonus. With five players, surprisingly enough, the odds aren't much worse. With four players there should be a bonus drop once in every twenty games on average. I could calculate more -- for three and for two players -- but it's very time-consuming and I think these numbers might be good enough to conclude that no changes to the map are needed. I was expecting them to be much worse.


With the size of the bonus that we're talking about (+4 or larger), anything in single-digit percentages or higher makes me nervous. I'll use a quote from the Rome map thread:

MarshalNey wrote:Also in general, I like to see the percentage for bonuses on the drop at or below 5% (1 in 20 games), particularly if they are greater than a +1 bonus. For something like a +4, the percentage should be 1% or lower. That may sound harsh, but consider that many thousands of games will likely be played on the map, and every time players see an opponent get a whopping +4 on the drop, they'll howl and scream at the Foundry and CC (plus they'll foe the map... well, they would if they could anyway).


Consider the topic and the sweet graphics that are shaping up for this map. With that in mind, when this map goes beta it will probably get several hundred games created in the first couple of weeks. If we're looking at the percentages your trials gave (my rough math actually puts the top percentages at 3-4%) then one can estimate that about 4 or 5 games will result in a player starting with a +4 bonus or better. That's maybe 10 or 20 players who will probably never want to play the map again based upon that experience, before it even gets quenched.

I realize that we can't eliminate luck on the drop sometimes, but the maginitude of the bonuses in question makes a lucky start on this map really lucky. We're not talking Berlin where the French bonus of +1 gets dropped regularly (although that's still quite irritating) or even Waterloo where the flags bonus of +3 gets dropped on occasion (tolerable only because players start with so many regions that it makes less of a difference). We're talking about +4 on a medium-sized map, where 4-player games (most likely Doubles) could be over before they begin.

I think that perhaps the bonuses values overall could use a bit of toning-down (not counting the autodeploys, which should be left alone I think). Thoughts?

-- Marshal Ney

P.S. As for the question about play-testing, you will unfortunately have to wait for Beta testing. There have been suggestions in the past for trying out a map at earlier stages, but so far nothing has come to fruition. :| Although BisonKing ingeniously made a board-game version of his Thysenal map and play-tested it with some of his friends (!)
User avatar
Captain MarshalNey
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby jefjef on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:16 am

Think ER5 should be located inline with West Cem Hill and The Angle. Perhaps change its name to Zieglers Grove or Bryan farm.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
Image
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
User avatar
Colonel jefjef
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: on my ass
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 am

jefjef wrote:Think ER5 should be located inline with West Cem Hill and The Angle. Perhaps change its name to Zieglers Grove or Bryan farm.

According to the maps I've researched The Angle lies exactly halfway between Emmitsburg Road and Taneytown Road, so I'm going to say 'no' to this suggestion unless you can provide some compelling argument. Why did you suggest it in the first place? You provide no rationale or explanation.

BTW, I found an online game map of huge detailed proportions that looks to me to be excellent. Warning: enormous .JPG file.... HERE.

Regarding bonus-on-drop: in looking over what I'd have to do to eliminate the chances, I realized I made a mistake in my calculations. They're really about half of what I said they were. (I forgot about some of the neutral starters I already had!) Still, if it would be easy enough to reduce the odds still further, why not? I'm sitting at 68 deployable out of 79. The golden numbers below 68 are 67, 66, then it skips to 59. There are only three droppable continents that consist of four terts: Hagerstown Rd., Carlisle Rd., and the Confederate Left. I can put neutral starters on the first two -- it would look consistent with the other neutral starters we've created on the other roads -- and stay on a golden number. It leaves just one continent of four or fewer terts that doesn't have a neutral starter on it preventing a drop-to-bonus. I think that will be fine.

NEXT: I've had two PM's from a constructive critic who obvious has poor command of the English language. I think maybe he PMed me instead of posting here because he's embarrassed by that so I'll protect his identity. He wants, if I understand him correctly, where I've got red and blue army boxes corresponding to Confederate and Union forces, to have then IDed as cavalry, infantry or artillery. It's a fascinating concept that I want to consider. [He also warns me that if I fail to do this the map will be unable to qualify for inclusion in a collection of "Greatest Battles of the Civil War".]

I had responded above to one request for artillery: the range at this scale was short (essentially just to the next tert) and the guns were spread amongst the divisions. That said, there are a few places it would make sense to put artillery, and if, instead of ranged attack they were given one-way attack, then we could actually set up artillery duels. Cavalry: most of the significant cavalry action took place off this map, and cavalry mostly fought dismounted. Still, cavalry played a role in the battle and if I could find places on the flanks to put a few units, having them be able to access two terts as in Austerlitz, it would provide a taste of their importance. In each case we'd be sacrificing geographic authenticity and accuracy but gaining, IMHO, flavor-of-the-battle authenticity. [Plus I'd retain eligibility for inclusion in that collection! ;-)]

Would you like to see a draft that includes unit types? It will be a major revision/redrafting but I'm willing to give it a try.
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Here's an example of what the units might look like:

Image
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby MarshalNey on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Minister X wrote:Regarding bonus-on-drop: in looking over what I'd have to do to eliminate the chances, I realized I made a mistake in my calculations. They're really about half of what I said they were. (I forgot about some of the neutral starters I already had!) Still, if it would be easy enough to reduce the odds still further, why not? I'm sitting at 68 deployable out of 79. The golden numbers below 68 are 67, 66, then it skips to 59. There are only three droppable continents that consist of four terts: Hagerstown Rd., Carlisle Rd., and the Confederate Left. I can put neutral starters on the first two -- it would look consistent with the other neutral starters we've created on the other roads -- and stay on a golden number. It leaves just one continent of four or fewer terts that doesn't have a neutral starter on it preventing a drop-to-bonus. I think that will be fine.


Agreed. I'm honestly a little too lazy to do the exact math here, but if bonuses get dropped more than a couple of times during Beta you might want to consider lowering the values overall as a last resort, to mitigate the effects.

Minister X wrote:According to the maps I've researched The Angle lies exactly halfway between Emmitsburg Road and Taneytown Road, so I'm going to say 'no' to this suggestion unless you can provide some compelling argument. Why did you suggest it in the first place? You provide no rationale or explanation.


Perhaps jefjef knew that the Emmitsburg Road ran directly over Cemetery Hill, and thought that the Emmitsburg Road was being shown as parallel to Cemetery Hill. In reality, since it can't have two names at once, the final stretch of the road is simply labeled as 'West Cem Hill' on this map.

Or maybe jefjef is proposing that the West Cem Hill region should be designated as part of the Emmitsburg Road bonus. That would be another case entirely, and up to the mapmaker's discretion I think. It might tie a record as the region would then be part of 3 separate bonuses (!).

In any case, the map is accurate as shown.

Minister X wrote:NEXT: I've had two PM's from a constructive critic who obvious has poor command of the English language. I think maybe he PMed me instead of posting here because he's embarrassed by that so I'll protect his identity. He wants, if I understand him correctly, where I've got red and blue army boxes corresponding to Confederate and Union forces, to have then IDed as cavalry, infantry or artillery. It's a fascinating concept that I want to consider. [He also warns me that if I fail to do this the map will be unable to qualify for inclusion in a collection of "Greatest Battles of the Civil War".]

I had responded above to one request for artillery: the range at this scale was short (essentially just to the next tert) and the guns were spread amongst the divisions. That said, there are a few places it would make sense to put artillery, and if, instead of ranged attack they were given one-way attack, then we could actually set up artillery duels. Cavalry: most of the significant cavalry action took place off this map, and cavalry mostly fought dismounted. Still, cavalry played a role in the battle and if I could find places on the flanks to put a few units, having them be able to access two terts as in Austerlitz, it would provide a taste of their importance. In each case we'd be sacrificing geographic authenticity and accuracy but gaining, IMHO, flavor-of-the-battle authenticity. [Plus I'd retain eligibility for inclusion in that collection! ]


I think that the added complexity would lower the map's popularity on this site; although I personally like involved rule sets I know that they mostly cater to a niche market on CC. If your goal is to keep the gameplay straightforward, then I think that no further gameplay elements should be added. As for the other site, you could always add those elements in for a different version of the map as I see no reason why the CC map and the 'collection map' need to be the same.

If the map does take a more complex route however, I might have some comments on the artillery in particular. The effective range of some emplacements was considerably longer than others, based in part on visibility and the time that the units had to prepare and mark the various ranges in their field of fire. The artillery on Cemetery Hill, for instance, bombarded targets accurately as far away as Benner's Hill and Seminary Ridge on the map. And of course the artillery on Seminary Ridge bombarded Cemetery Ridge and the Angle on Day 3 (and overshot it shortly thereafter). Finally I think that bombardement rules, rather than 1-way attack, makes more sense for an artillery duel.

-- Marshal Ney
User avatar
Captain MarshalNey
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:02 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby jefjef on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Didn't intend to cause any offense in re of my sugg. It was purely for historical troop alignments. Emmitsburg road at that point was never part of the union line. It had to be crossed to assault the actual line at the Bryan barn/farm/Ziegler grove region which was on elevated terrain. At that location the road is not yet on the hill. The way it is now makes for an unnatural alignment. That's why I suggested. That's all. The connections also looks like we won't really be able to reenact pickets charge by directly assaulting the angle from Seminary ridge/Confederate position.

Good luck with the map. Looking forward to it.

Image
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
Image
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
User avatar
Colonel jefjef
 
Posts: 5982
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: on my ass
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 6 pg 4

Postby Minister X on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:36 am

jefjef wrote:... historical troop alignments...

As I mentioned above, my deployment pattern is based on a Day Two "overview" map that doesn't precisely reflect any one moment's deployments. Also, I haven't an unlimited number of terts and have made a less-than-total effort to get the ones I have directly atop the main troop concentrations. Result: inaccuracy in where I'm showing troops versus where they were at any one point in time.

That explanation aside, I'm not wedded at all to the current pattern. It sounds like I could satisfy jetjef simply by removing the blue coloring from ER5. That would make the Union center three terts instead of four but that's okay. Perhaps TR6 can be moved northward and made blue to make up for it. Jetjef: would that do the trick? If not, can you please suggest some simple realignment like that, bearing in mind that the roads should have exactly as many terts as they have - no more or less. (Reflects road bonus versus how useful that road was.) Also bear in mind that I need to insert more impassable areas than truly existed on the battlefield. ("Impassables" on a map like this simply means dotted lines not present.) Once again, I'm not wedded to the pattern I have, but if you want to add more dotted lines someplace please suggest some other place where a similar number could be removed so gameplay can remain sufficiently channeled.

NEY: the constructive critic wasn't talking about some collection off-site, but rather (I think) something here like the WWII games. I dunno. Forget it. I don't want to start some unnecessary controversy.

I think you're right about the map needing and wanting no more complexity. I'll save the cap-and-cannon-plus-horse for my next Civil War game. ;)
User avatar
Major Minister X
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login