[Abandoned] - Portugal Gfx Revamp

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] update p.1

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 pm

I approve of this, and already prefer the update.

However, I think you're missing some impassables in the very centre of the map around that blue bonus.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby gimil on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:56 pm

ManBungalow wrote:I approve of this, and already prefer the update.

However, I think you're missing some impassables in the very centre of the map around that blue bonus.

Yes I am I intending on getting back to them at some point :P
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby gimil on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:57 pm

natty_dread wrote:
gimil wrote:
natty_dread wrote:How about classic Risk-type territories? You know, instead of black/dark lines separating territories, separate them by differences in lightness, in a mosaic like thing...

The map is small enough, with few enough bonuses and territories, that you could probably pull it off... I think it could work for the map.

Sorry natty, I don't understand?

This is the best image I could find

Sorry natty, that look would move away from what I want from the map.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] ver. 2, p.3

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Update time!

Click image to enlarge.

Done:
-Changed Alentejo bonus back to 6
-Changed the territory font to something the fits inside more territories.
-Added the Ilhas to the minimap

TODO/Areas for discussion:
-More discussion on map orientation needed.
-What to do with dead space (if orientation changes this may not be an issue).
-Add impassables.
-Add a neutral to one of the Algarve terrs (is this 100% a good idea?).

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:15 pm

You're missing Ilhas' bonus on the minimap.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:You're missing Ilhas' bonus on the minimap.

-Sully

Cheers vicky! Has been updated and will be posted in the next draft.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] v2, P.1&3

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:28 pm

what's wrong with the font? some letters are smaller than others. the r,n,v,u,t are very small. disturbingly small.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:33 pm

DiM wrote:what's wrong with the font? some letters are smaller than others. the r,n,v,u,t are very small. disturbingly small.

Yeah I know. Its a bit quirky but I like it.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:40 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:what's wrong with the font? some letters are smaller than others. the r,n,v,u,t are very small. disturbingly small.

Glad it is you. Cannot think of a new map maker getting away with a font like that. :|
It is very nice but it plays games with the eyes. :P
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Orientation, why not try it and see if you like it. If you do not then end of subject, if you think it might work, post a draft for us to look at.
Dead space - you have the skills, why not give it a nice land look.
About the neutral, I bloody hate them, please do not add one. Let the luck of the drop be enough.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:46 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
gimil wrote:

Glad it is you. Cannot think of a new map maker getting away with a font like that. :|
It is very nice but it plays games with the eyes. :P

Really? Is it that bad?

Does anyone else think is also?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:48 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Orientation, why not try it and see if you like it. If you do not then end of subject, if you think it might work, post a draft for us to look at.
Dead space - you have the skills, why not give it a nice land look.
About the neutral, I bloody hate them, please do not add one. Let the luck of the drop be enough.

The thing is 'just trying' it is alot of work in itself. I don't want to go through it that just to see, I need to be sure it is a good investment of my (limited) time. I don't mind doing it if there is a decent consensus.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:58 am

One thing I don't like about the visual style of this map is the high brightness of the ocean. It's disturbing somehow, I think the map would look loads better with a darker ocean. Maybe bring it on the same level of luminosity as the neutral land area.

And yeah, that font must go... territory names need to be written with a clear, easy-to-read font, not something that looks like leetspeak.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:07 am

natty_dread wrote:One thing I don't like about the visual style of this map is the high brightness of the ocean. It's disturbing somehow, I think the map would look loads better with a darker ocean. Maybe bring it on the same level of luminosity as the neutral land area.

I shall play with the saturation and tones to see what I can come up with.

And yeah, that font must go... territory names need to be written with a clear, easy-to-read font, not something that looks like leetspeak.

Yeah, people ain't digging this font. I shall have to find another.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] v3, P.1&3

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:29 am

Here you are:

Click image to enlarge.

Done:
-Changed tone of the ocean
-Tried another, less quirky font.

TODO/Areas for discussion:
-What to do with dead space (if orientation changes this may not be an issue).
-Add impassables.
-Add a neutral to one of the Algarve terrs (is this 100% a good idea?).

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:49 am

gimil wrote:...

gimil, i'd like to see more of an north south RL orientation.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:51 am

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:...

gimil, i'd like to see more of an north south RL orientation.

Yes this does seem to be the idea people are leaning towards. I think I shall incorporate it into my next update and see how it goes.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 am

I approve of the diagonal orientation. The long, thin shape of the country (even with the islands adding some width to the map) translates better to a CC map better in the slanted position. Put a compass on there and job's a good one. Also, the current version is true to how the map already is. You could change it all, but I'm sure some people would just throw a fit.
Colonel ManBungalow

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:21 am

ManBungalow wrote:I approve of the diagonal orientation. The long, thin shape of the country (even with the islands adding some width to the map) translates better to a CC map better in the slanted position. Put a compass on there and job's a good one. Also, the current version is true to how the map already is. You could change it all, but I'm sure some people would just throw a fit.

Suddenly the issue once again, becomes unresolved :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Indeed. Just a welcome back to the thankless battle that is the Map Foundry.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 pm

gimil wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:I approve of the diagonal orientation. The long, thin shape of the country (even with the islands adding some width to the map) translates better to a CC map better in the slanted position. Put a compass on there and job's a good one. Also, the current version is true to how the map already is. You could change it all, but I'm sure some people would just throw a fit.

Suddenly the issue once again, becomes unresolved :P

Just choose the orientation you like. Either way you are going to have people say "great work =D> " and "Christ, that looks bad :cry: ".

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 am

Welcome to the Foundry, where disagreeing on the exact same bullet list is perfectly normal. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby jefjef on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 pm

There isn't a lot of color differentiation between Litoral and Ilhas regions. Could that be an issue for those that are color deficient?

Wonder what the map would look like if you swapped Algarve and Ilhas region colors. That would deff give ya color separation.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10)
Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby n.n. on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:30 am

Hi,

The bad:
- some dotted lines, islands, labels etc. are simply too close to the image border, leave more margins for improved visibility.
- Same goes for continent list and minimap - also too close to each other.
- The border around the minimap is very ugly, should be changed into something more elegant, almost any other box border template example would work better graphically, same goes for the shadow below it - not really working...
- Label positioning should be corrected a little, for example, Portimao, letter p is over the border, Alentejo Sul - "Sul" and some others are not really readable enough, Mirando do Douro i saw existing only after looking at the map for 15 minutes...
- Dotted lines do not start and end properly or on proper places, for example, Acores Oriental - Lisboa - dot too close to land at Lisboa end, also all lines start from a imagined circle all of which are positioned very loosely so it is not really good looking nor clear enough in my opinion (add the IMHO to all thoughts here please). So i would reposition the lines, get them out of the imaginary circle scheme (drop the scheme itself), maybe add a little design to them (outline, color, shading, relief, make dots bigger, etc.)

Some ideas:
- You may try to put a little more relief to the land outside portugal
- maybe "raise" portugal a little (shadow/outline/bevel/something)
- maybe create a 50% transparent or in other way designed border around islands that are in one territory (it cant be circle but thats ok, just treat them like they are - custom shapes - not clear geometrical shapes like circle, square...)
- consider putting the continent names around the continents themselves, theres a lot of free space to do that and if designed well, could work
- maybe add something "Portugal" - flag, coat of arms, colors (red, green)... ?

The Good:
This is a very clean map, with obvious borders and gameplay, easy and fun to play as a classic "risk" game and the design should stay that way - so, no extensive reliefs, grunge stuff or major redesign is needed but the mapmaker is right in wanting to improve the graphics.
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 am

"Have you tried the map without army shadows? Sometimes a map is better without them."

oh wait, you have no army shadows. panda would be proud of you :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box