Conquer Club

[Vacation until Dec] Clash of Kings - [14.03.14] - V18.1

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Besieger/Besieged [28.Dec.11] - 1v1 map - V2 - p1&2

Postby zimmah on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 am

change the position of the arrow between ship 3 and assault ship 3, at first glance it looks like a 1 way attack right now because the tip of the arrow is on top of ship 3.

same counts for ship 2 and 3 but on a smaller scale. (the arrow tip is half on ship 2)

and assault ship 2/supply ship 2.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: Besieger/Besieged [28.Dec.11] - 1v1 map - V2 - p1&2

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:07 am

zimmah wrote:change the position of the arrow between ship 3 and assault ship 3, at first glance it looks like a 1 way attack right now because the tip of the arrow is on top of ship 3.

same counts for ship 2 and 3 but on a smaller scale. (the arrow tip is half on ship 2)

and assault ship 2/supply ship 2.

will do in the next update.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Clash of Kings [29.Dec.11] - 1v1 map - V3 - p1&2

Postby The Bison King on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:15 am

Unless this is an intentional attempt to emulate the siege battle at the end of this book, I'd pick another name. If this was intentional, good show old boy.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby zimmah on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:29 am

The Bison King wrote:Image
Unless this is an intentional attempt to emulate the siege battle at the end of this book, I'd pick another name. If this was intentional, good show old boy.

it's just coincidence
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:50 pm

the title is just a coincidence and i don't think it falls under the copyright infringement laws since there's nothing to point to the book. if people wish to use their imagination and pretend it's the siege battle at the end of the book it is their choice entirely.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Yeah, it's the same thing when I made the Age of Steam maps, and later on found out there was a railway board game named Age of Steam somewhere. I asked the admin if I have to change it, but just a coincidental name is not enough to be a copyright infringement.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby lostatlimbo on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Shouldn't the Castle be 10 to match the 5+5 of the Camps?

Actually, it might need to be even more. Balloon & Assassins aside, it is 7 territories away to annihilate both enemy camps, but only 5 to annihilate the castle.

I still think each Base Ship needs to attack a different Supply Ship as well. The 4 quarters can individually attack a tower or dock and quickly move on to the enemy, while only one base ship can attack a supply ship and all three can attack the landing point - which is still 3 territories away from attacking your opponent (unlike the towers).

Not only is it bottle-necked on either side of your primary starting positions, but the blue side has a big advantage early on to use all their forces. Whereas red's first turn is pretty much useless. They attack the landing point or supply ship and then reinforce. Meanwhile blue might already be on top of your artillery.

Red is further handicapped by having two camps to the one castle. Though Red only needs to defend one camp, that other 5 troops is set far back from the front lines, whereas - again - blue can use all 4 of its quarters simultaneously.

If you make it one camp and give red a force closer to the artillery, then make more connections between Base Ships and supply ships, that will help some.

Also, it isn't clear in the legend that you can only receive bonuses for your side. (i.e. blue can't get a red ship bonus)
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:03 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Shouldn't the Castle be 10 to match the 5+5 of the Camps?

Actually, it might need to be even more. Balloon & Assassins aside, it is 7 territories away to annihilate both enemy camps, but only 5 to annihilate the castle.

each player starts with 25 troops split over 5 terits. it impossible to attack the castle or the 2 camps in round 1 so it really does not matter if the castle starts with 5 or 10 because you can't reach it. and by the time you're able to reach it the other player has plenty of turns to protect it.

lostatlimbo wrote:I still think each Base Ship needs to attack a different Supply Ship as well. The 4 quarters can individually attack a tower or dock and quickly move on to the enemy, while only one base ship can attack a supply ship and all three can attack the landing point - which is still 3 territories away from attacking your opponent (unlike the towers).
Not only is it bottle-necked on either side of your primary starting positions, but the blue side has a big advantage early on to use all their forces. Whereas red's first turn is pretty much useless. They attack the landing point or supply ship and then reinforce. Meanwhile blue might already be on top of your artillery.

will do.

lostatlimbo wrote:Red is further handicapped by having two camps to the one castle. Though Red only needs to defend one camp, that other 5 troops is set far back from the front lines, whereas - again - blue can use all 4 of its quarters simultaneously.

If you make it one camp and give red a force closer to the artillery, then make more connections between Base Ships and supply ships, that will help some.

adding more connections in the red area will result in a lot of clutter.
i think the best solution would be to remove blue's ability to attack any terit within city limits and just add some connections there. this way blue won't be able to use all his troops at once and he'll have to travel a bit to the artillery.

lostatlimbo wrote:Also, it isn't clear in the legend that you can only receive bonuses for your side. (i.e. blue can't get a red ship bonus)

i'll mention it
Major DiM

Postby BadgerJelly on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:31 am

This this awesome. How far along is it?
Private BadgerJelly

Postby zimmah on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:49 am

BadgerJelly wrote:This this awesome. How far along is it?

early development, it doesn't even has stamps yet. :lol:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby BadgerJelly on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:53 am

Looks ready to roll to me :)

How did you get look for land on map? What program do you use? Is it free?
I'm using GIMP myself.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:48 am

Baloon -> Balloon
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:26 am

Hm, for the name, there's nothing on the map that really has to do anything with kings. Perhaps a back story is in order? Or else you could simple call the map "Besiege", though I rather like the "Clash of Kings" logo. Let me know if you want a back story, DiM, I'm sure I could whip one up ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:59 am

zimmah wrote:
BadgerJelly wrote:This this awesome. How far along is it?

early development, it doesn't even has stamps yet. :lol:

as zimmah said it's still early.
the foundry is a long and slow process. we'll see this live in a few months
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:05 am

BadgerJelly wrote:Looks ready to roll to me :)

I'm using GIMP myself.

i'm pretty sure he's a photoshop user.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:09 am

I'm using GIMP myself.

most of my maps look ready to roll because i don't like posting rough drafts i try to make the graphics as close to the final product as possible. however there's still a lot of fine tuning plus the gameplay tweaks.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:14 am

I'm using GIMP myself.

i'm using photoshop cs5.1 extended.
it's normally a lot of money but if you know where to look it is free :twisted:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am

natty_dread wrote:Baloon -> Balloon

spelling nazi :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:18 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Hm, for the name, there's nothing on the map that really has to do anything with kings. Perhaps a back story is in order? Or else you could simple call the map "Besiege", though I rather like the "Clash of Kings" logo. Let me know if you want a back story, DiM, I'm sure I could whip one up ;)

-Sully

yeah, i guess a short story could help set the atmosphere better :)
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:14 pm

DiM wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:Also, it isn't clear in the legend that you can only receive bonuses for your side. (i.e. blue can't get a red ship bonus)

i'll mention it

any suggestions on how i should word this in the legend?

also the "there's no bonus for number of terits" doesn't sound too clear. could use some help with that also.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:18 pm

V4:
*legend text tweaks,
*added paths in the besieged area
*added some more paths between the boats
*moved some terit names around
*spelling

who do i have to bribe to get this moved to the main? :mrgreen:

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Clash of Kings [01.Jan.12] - 1v1 map - V4 - p1&3

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Looking good

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 pm

i think this pretty much meets the requirements for a main foundry move.... 8-[
Major DiM

Postby lostatlimbo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Could the 3rd Artillery bombard the Supply Caravan back?

Seems like if you were trying to take a castle by siege, you would want to cut off their supply too.

I'm not sure if that would improve gameplay or not, but I'm a stickler for story. :)

Postby zimmah on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Could the 3rd Artillery bombard the Supply Caravan back?

Seems like if you were trying to take a castle by siege, you would want to cut off their supply too.

I'm not sure if that would improve gameplay or not, but I'm a stickler for story. :)

realism-wise it'd make a whole lot more sense for an attacker to attack a supply caravan then vice versa but gameplay wise i'm not so sure.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box