Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Pirates and Merchants - V9 - Pg 1&13

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Pirates and Merchants [06.Jan.12] - Missions Map - V4 -

Postby zimmah on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:01 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:DiM, I'm going to abuse of my Foundry Mod powers to replace the link in your OP. Use imageshack, it works. At least for me lol

btw i really hate that horizontal line you have at the top of your legend, it "cuts" the mast of both ships.

Click image to enlarge.

haters gunna hate.

but seriously, now that you bring it up, it's a good point.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:20 pm

imageshack is a no. i hate that site. it has the stupidest interface ever created.
normally i used photobucket which has a very user friendly interface and i can keep track of my files very easy.
however photobucket insists on resizing anything above 1mega and since this image is 1.6 it's shrunk a lot unless i save it at a lower quality. and this is jpg. if i save it as png it's hell.
imageshack does not resize my images but it has the shittiest interface ever.
so i found post image.org which has a really neat interface and it does not resize my images. but apparently people can't see the images. no idea why :(

i'll guess i'll have to look for yet another hosting site with a big enough file limit and good interface.

as for the horizontal line, that's there to mark the legend space. i will probably do some flowery thing, a nicer border or something, so don't worry about it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 pm

DiM wrote:imageshack is a no. i hate that site. it has the stupidest interface ever created.
normally i used photobucket which has a very user friendly interface and i can keep track of my files very easy.
however photobucket insists on resizing anything above 1mega and since this image is 1.6 it's shrunk a lot unless i save it at a lower quality. and this is jpg. if i save it as png it's hell.
imageshack does not resize my images but it has the shittiest interface ever.
so i found post image.org which has a really neat interface and it does not resize my images. but apparently people can't see the images. no idea why :(

i'll guess i'll have to look for yet another hosting site with a big enough file limit and good interface.

as for the horizontal line, that's there to mark the legend space. i will probably do some flowery thing, a nicer border or something, so don't worry about it.

the line isn't the problem but the line cutting the sails is looking weird.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby BadgerJelly on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:35 pm

I been struggling to like looking at this map for some time and have discovered why :

1- MAIN problem for me is the way the land is filled in. Those diagonal lines are not easy on the eye at all :shock:
2- The ships (On right and left) are tilted and just look strange. I think it'd be better if they were all horizontal.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 pm

zimmah wrote:the line isn't the problem but the line cutting the sails is looking weird.

yeah i know, it will be fixed when the border is changed.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

BadgerJelly wrote:I been struggling to like looking at this map for some time and have discovered why :

1- MAIN problem for me is the way the land is filled in. Those diagonal lines are not easy on the eye at all :shock:
2- The ships (On right and left) are tilted and just look strange. I think it'd be better if they were all horizontal.

1. i can lower the opacity of the lines.
2. having all of them horizontal will give an artificial feel .
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:49 pm

i have solved my photobucket problem. apparently i had gotten too close to the 10GB bandwidth limit for free accounts and my upload options were moved to less than 1Mega per image. but now the limit was reset (since the new year) and i can upload full size.

so here's V5. i hope it's visible for all.
*lower opacity for diagonal line pattern on the continents
*lower opacity for the continent colours
Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Pirates and Merchants [06.Jan.12] - Missions Map - V5 -

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Does any costal region include ports and every island? Or any costal area in their proximity?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:27 pm

DiM wrote:i have solved my photobucket problem. apparently i had gotten too close to the 10GB bandwidth limit for free accounts

That's why I use imageshack, which doesn't have any bandwidth or storage limits. I currently have a bit below 2000 images stored on my shack account.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:13 pm

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:i have solved my photobucket problem. apparently i had gotten too close to the 10GB bandwidth limit for free accounts

That's why I use imageshack, which doesn't have any bandwidth or storage limits. I currently have a bit below 2000 images stored on my shack account.

i don;t like the interface on imageshack.
anyway, the main problem was that i had some images on this photobucket account that were done for a website and those images caused the main traffic. i'll just move them to another photobucket account and it will be fine. :mrgreen:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Does any costal region include ports and every island? Or any costal area in their proximity?

a coastal reagion = a land that has a coast. basically if it touches the ocean then it's a coastal region.

if my count is right there are only 12 land locked regions on this map. everything else is a coastal region.
Major DiM

Postby BadgerJelly on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Maybe its my eyes but I think you need to scrap diagonal lines completely and use something else?

Only ships that look funny are Red Beard and Dark Eric
Private BadgerJelly

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:19 am

I agree about the horizontal line and actually those decorative corners would look much better in the top corners.

Put the decorative bits in each corner, move the main map down a little and then add a 'realistic' crease across the middle where you have a line now. It will look much more natural and quite bad-ass. Try it.

Also, please, please find a clearer font for the missions. Its a lot of reading for such a scripty font. I'm normally all about playing up the theme of a map, but those are important to read, even in-game.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

lostatlimbo wrote:Also, please, please find a clearer font for the missions. Its a lot of reading for such a scripty font. I'm normally all about playing up the theme of a map, but those are important to read, even in-game.

Agreed. Font Flavor is usually fine when you are reading individual region names or bonus zones, but when you have a mound of text, and text generally important to gameplay (and not just some sort of thematic setting text), it should be a little easier to read.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

i'll try to find a scripty font that's easier to read.
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 pm

i just thought of something. in case there's 4 or less players on this map, people will actually start with 2 ships, so, should we try to make the starting positions so that even in 2, 3 and 4 player games the starting ships will be as balanced as possible?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm

zimmah wrote:i just thought of something. in case there's 4 or less players on this map, people will actually start with 2 ships, so, should we try to make the starting positions so that even in 2, 3 and 4 player games the starting ships will be as balanced as possible?

no they won't. you can limit each player to 1 ship. just like in AYBABTU each player gets just 1 base.
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 pm

DiM wrote:
zimmah wrote:i just thought of something. in case there's 4 or less players on this map, people will actually start with 2 ships, so, should we try to make the starting positions so that even in 2, 3 and 4 player games the starting ships will be as balanced as possible?

no they won't. you can limit each player to 1 ship. just like in AYBABTU each player gets just 1 base.

right, but then i'll need to define that in the starting positions. so everyone just get's 1 base, makes sense.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:00 pm

yep, it's easier and more balanced this way.
Major DiM

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:18 pm

the bonuses looks a little unbalanced to me. while there are only 15 Treasures for 4 Pirates ( so about 4 armies for each), but 11 bonuses with 40 armies for Merchants (about 10 for each). ok, it will be harder to conquer and hold all governors regions but Merchants have more possibilities and bonuses.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Oneyed wrote:the bonuses looks a little unbalanced to me. while there are only 15 Treasures for 4 Pirates ( so about 4 armies for each), but 11 bonuses with 40 armies for Merchants (about 10 for each). ok, it will be harder to conquer and hold all governors regions but Merchants have more possibilities and bonuses.

Oneyed

there should be 16 treasures and 12 ports. i'll check to see if i missed any.

anyway, you are right pirates have fewer bonuses available while merchants have more. this is intended to simulate an environment as realistic as possible. being an honest merchant meant you had access to more sources of income while being a pirate meant that you could only plunder.
the so while merchants can get more troops and make the map seem imbalanced the merchants also have harder missions. seeing how the only way to win is by completing your mission and not by eliminating the opponents, the difference in available bonuses should be perfectly balanced by the difference in the mission difficulty.
i'm also thinking of making the pirates start with a bit more troops. but i'll have to do some calculations.
Major DiM

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Expect some stampage once Nobodies/Isaiah40 gives you the supersize stamp.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby zimmah on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Expect some stampage once Nobodies/Isaiah40 gives you the supersize stamp.

about the balance, i think asymmetric balance is the best balance.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Okay, after discussing this with thenobodies80, he believes that if you can find a different font maybe you can reduce the size height wise a tad bit. Considering that, we can hereby designate this map
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:06 pm

thanks.
also i've reduced the height by 100px since tnb80 told me to reduce it. i'm not sure if more is feasible.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box