[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map - [April 22, '12] - Page

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 am

vaughn03 wrote:OK. This is size guy - 'thenobodies'? (I gotta know...) But I'm not real worried about the size here. I have a big monitor so I ALWAYS prefer a bigger map - which is why I want to talk to the MAP BOSS... I agree with Vic...

You heard it here first, folks. May it be forever immortalized. :)

vaughn03 wrote:...that it's also better for this map because of so many elements but I can take this to 840 x800 no problem. It's Vic's worry.
:roll: :-^

vaughn03 wrote:I've always been concerned about number of fonts from a design perspective. Putting the map together I think it almost helps me - to keep things separate but we are past that now.

What "almost helps"? The number of fonts, or eliminating them?

vaughn03 wrote:I will take a look and try to eliminate some. Thank you for suggestion - will try that as well. TOTALLY agree about Universities being unreadable.

vaughn03 wrote:Not sure we will keep Universities due to copyright issues. Vic? I could just use a generic symbol and then type out their names, yes? That might make the map cleaner anyways...

The universities stay, even with no image. V's correct there: we can make it work.

Huge part of the state. Huge part of gameplay. We will find an image, however. For instance, Ole Miss used to be "Ole Miss Rebels." They can't copyright the image of a rebel, so we could use that. Mississippi State BULLDOGS. They don't own images of bulldogs. We can use one we like that we find. Golden Eagles = USM. Again, we could find something to use, even if it's just the letters, in black and gold, "USM" (they use black and gold uniforms for their sports teams).

vaughn03 wrote:Elvis - I don't even know... I'll have to go back and look. Can we BUY USAGE? Some of this stuff is really cheap, I've got $20... Have other options here - really no big deal so long as I'm allowed to use an Elvis image. I can create if necessary - take me longer...

vaughn03 wrote:From the basement...
go back to your dungeon. Just kidding! :)
"It is a good day to die."
Major VicFontaine

Medals: 59
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (14) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 pm

It helped me to have the different fonts when I was putting it together but NOW I will eliminate some and I think it will be better. It will look better for sure.

Like they actually teach anything in a Mississippi College...

And please slow down with the emoticons... Put the coffee down...
Major vaughn03

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:17 pm

I DON"T like the idea of 'some' Bulldog for your little college... I'm going to have a standard image and write the name of the college.

I've sealed off the basement door - there's nothing you can do...
Major vaughn03

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Concerning the size, I have talked with thenobodies80 about it and he mentioned that it could be cut down in size some more (width wise).

Concerning the fonts, it is a good idea to use no more than 2-3 different fonts as it makes it harder to read. One font for the title, one for the legend, and one for the territories. The font size in the legend can be increased as you have plenty if room!! The increase in size will make the legend easy to read, and clear.

Concerning the images, if you purchase the rights to use them commercially, then that would be okay. I believe that thenobodies80 would need to see proof that you purchased commercial rights. In this way tnb80 can pass them on to lackattack so he has prove of permission to use the images.

Concerning the Universities, I believe that you can use the names just not their logos.

Anyways I'll comment more later! Keep up the good work!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm

See how big Isiahh's map is Vic? Mega. You should have called it Mega Mississippi...
Major vaughn03

Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:42 pm

vaughn03 wrote:See how big Isiahh's map is Vic? Mega. You should have called it Mega Mississippi...

Where is his map?

Onward: V and Vic are discussion the latest update which, in keeping with previous promises, should be ready for display tomorrow.

It's awesome. Now you need 3-D goggles to view it, but we have actual yankee and rebel soldiers who jump out at you whenever you roll a 6.

;) --> a smiley for you, V.
Major VicFontaine

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (14) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 19, 2012 7:27 am

Any word on when the next update is coming for this one?
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat May 19, 2012 7:01 pm

I just do not feel like Mississippi needs this much love.

When is someone going to do an Arkansas map? Thats something I would commission actually.

In regards to this map, still looking good, cant wait to see the updates.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby VicFontaine on Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:I just do not feel like Mississippi needs this much love.

When is someone going to do an Arkansas map? Thats something I would commission actually.

In regards to this map, still looking good, cant wait to see the updates.

I don't know. I lost a lot of drive for this map with the anal map-size requirements. Plus, 2 1/2 weeks ago, I got the flu, then had to quickly move 10 miles across town, which I'm still doing.

I've sent updates to Vaughn and he's working on them, so I'll post when he's finished.
Major VicFontaine

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 pm

With the size of the average monitor now-a-days, I hope that the map size thing can be resolved with common sense. gl man and sorry about the bad rl luck
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 am

VicFontaine wrote: I lost a lot of drive for this map

I've sent updates to Vaughn and he's working on them, so I'll post when he's finished.

Keep plugging away as this is going to be a great map. :-$ :mrgreen:

And saying that, lets see what Vaughn ha got so far. If it is anything like his earlier drafts, it should be good. :D

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby VicFontaine on Fri May 25, 2012 12:28 pm

We discussed yesterday a couple of things. We're both highly busy folks, so we'll post an image when it becomes available.
Major VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 am

[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz

Postby VicFontaine on Sat May 26, 2012 2:38 pm

koontz1973 wrote:[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz

Are you serious? Am I correct to read here that you believe we've given up and have moved the map out of the Foundry? Upon what justification? This is pissing me off, guys. Get things straight: you've already changed the rules on us twice. We're going as fast as we can. The most recent update was only 30 days ago.
Major VicFontaine

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map - [May 26, '12] - Page 12

Postby VicFontaine on Sat May 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Case in point. I just got the update in AFTER I already told you we were making the changes.

Map Name: Mississippi Magnolia
Mapmaker(s): Vicfontaine, vaughn03 appearing as The Voice of Reason, aka, the Production Artist.
Number of Territories: 78
Special Features: multi-level bonuses (multiple regions, autodeploys, additional bonuses within regions, etc.), culture-specific to Mississippi
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: There are no unique Deep South (USA) maps and this one provides that as well as detail into some Mississippi history; gameplay is easy but multi-dimensional with bonuses, attacks, defensive positions, etc.

UPDATE AS OF MAY 26, 2012. Please make this supersized. You have no real quality objections not to and had already told us you would. We continue to get complaints about how "crowded" this looks. We've continued to say, "Make it supersize and it won't be crowded." ](*,) ](*,)

800 size:
Click image to enlarge.

1000 size:
Click image to enlarge.

WHAT STILL MUST BE DONE:
1) The possibility of an objective win: I like this. Don't know what it would be, but perhaps holding the Universities or all the Cultural treasures, plus the Capitol of Jackson.

That's it. We've done what has been asked.

(Older Version:)
(update #3)
Click image to enlarge.

(update #3)
Click image to enlarge.

(update #2)
Click image to enlarge.

ORIGINALS (hand-drawn):
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

The territories are created by the infrastructure (Interstates, state highways, and the historic "Natchez Trace" roadway). The map includes unique cultural icons of Mississippi (history, major tourist attractions), and bonuses are plenty and varied and are based on cultural treasures, waterways, ecological regions, and major, medium, and small cities. Attack routes are "whatever is adjacent to" with, again, all roads serving as dividing lines. Attacks are made over impassables through cities. Thus, cities sitting on I-55 connect their adjoining terts.

Universities (Ole Miss, Mississippi State [MSU], University of Southern Mississippi [USM] are accessed via their adjoining cities (so: Oxford gets to Ole Miss, Starkville gets to MSU, and Hattiesburg gets to USM).

Would enjoy some feedback, and would love to see such a versatile map like this join the other terrific CC maps.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p537/vicfontaine1/?action=view&current=MagnoliaMap.jpg
Major VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 pm

VicFontaine wrote:

koontz

Are you serious? Am I correct to read here that you believe we've given up and have moved the map out of the Foundry? Upon what justification? This is pissing me off, guys. Get things straight: you've already changed the rules on us twice. We're going as fast as we can. The most recent update was only 30 days ago.

I was very serious. To keep the drafting room clear of maps that may not get made, there is one month to get an update made. The last one was on the 22 April. On the 26th of May I moved this after being told that you and the artist where very busy in RL and you where not sure an update was forthcoming any time soon. An update does not need to be any major changes, it can be in fact a very minor change. As you have now made on, back it goes.

[Moved back]

And as for your update, thanks for getting it down to the 840/800 size. This is much better. Stickied for now, will send it up soon.

Postby VicFontaine on Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:

koontz

I was very serious. To keep the drafting room clear of maps that may not get made, there is one month to get an update made. The last one was on the 22 April. On the 26th of May I moved this after being told that you and the artist where very busy in RL and you where not sure an update was forthcoming any time soon. An update does not need to be any major changes, it can be in fact a very minor change. As you have now made on, back it goes.

[Moved back]

And as for your update, thanks for getting it down to the 840/800 size. This is much better. Stickied for now, will send it up soon.

Thanks.
Major VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Time to boot this one upstairs. Good luck in the main foundry. ;)

koontz.

Postby VicFontaine on Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Time to boot this one upstairs. Good luck in the main foundry. ;)

koontz.

Thanks.
Major VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 pm

So...what now?
Major VicFontaine

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 pm

I will run gameplay here in the next couple of days, see if there are any issues with the bonus structure and drop probabilities.
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 115
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (13) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (13) General Contribution (4)

Postby VicFontaine on Thu May 31, 2012 8:11 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I will run gameplay here in the next couple of days, see if there are any issues with the bonus structure and drop probabilities.

Just be sure you ask yourself, "Would this make Drew Brees happy?" Just to confirm: I'm now waiting several days, right?
Major VicFontaine

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:22 pm

why is some cities in red while the others are blue.
i can't find the difference in the legend. all i see are medium cities are blue.
which to be clear, mississippi only has medium and small cities. :lol:
Major WILLIAMS5232

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (30)

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:24 pm

You sound like my roommate, lol.

And yeah, I will get with iancanton and post in the next couple of days any gameplay issues that need to be sorted out before you're given that stamp. Once you receive that stamp, the graphics CA's will post their recommendations, at which point your thread will be moved to Final Forge for the XML to be written and any small kinks to be worked out before going Beta. That's a very brief explanation of the Foundry process.
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 115
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (13) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (13) General Contribution (4)

Postby VicFontaine on Thu May 31, 2012 8:27 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:why is some cities in red while the others are blue.
i can't find the difference in the legend. all i see are medium cities are blue.
which to be clear, mississippi only has medium and small cities. :lol:

You blind cook. It is in the legend :D
Major VicFontaine

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box