Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Sea-Tac Int'l Airport

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What color for map background?

Total votes : 0

Postby Steel Panzer on Mon May 21, 2007 3:53 am

interresting map! but i think that i should not win if you hold all the coffes, try giving only a big bonus, but i think you maked the bonuses to big for keeping the coffes, make them smaller.
Corporal 1st Class Steel Panzer

Postby wicked on Mon May 21, 2007 8:41 am

Can you attack directly from A transit to D transit?

Now B & C have 4 terr/ 3 borders?
Major wicked

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 21, 2007 8:44 am

I can't read some of the text...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby paranoid-android on Mon May 21, 2007 9:21 am

blue in that warning box is awesome.
Corporal 1st Class paranoid-android

Postby wicked on Mon May 21, 2007 3:08 pm

I prefer the blue as well. Nice touch.
Major wicked

Postby paranoid-android on Tue May 22, 2007 3:44 pm

bump. no dying.

Postby civver on Tue May 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Posting to support this map.
Corporal civver

Postby KoolfuZ on Wed May 23, 2007 5:31 am

Thanks for your support guys :)

Draft 7: cosmetics

Lingering issues:
1) Should B1 or C2 be interior territories?
2) A-D train:

wicked wrote:Can you attack directly from A transit to D transit?

Yes, via the A-D train. I think this is now the only part of the map I don't feel so good about graphically. It seems to be confusing a lot of people. I'm wondering, would gameplay be better with or without the connection?

Steel Panzer wrote:interresting map! but i think that i should not win if you hold all the coffes, try giving only a big bonus, but i think you maked the bonuses to big for keeping the coffes, make them smaller.

I think if you can manage to hold 10 of 11 spaces spread out across the map, you are pretty much already in control, no? (That is how objectives work, right? You have to hold the territories for a full turn? If you win upon conquering, then yeah, it would be too easy.)
Major KoolfuZ

Postby yeti_c on Wed May 23, 2007 6:23 am

I'm not keen on the blinding white - perhaps a slightly more subtle tone?

Also I notice there are 2 Starbucks next to each other in the top left?

Have you tweaked the text - it looks easier to read now?! Or perhaps I was looking at the small version?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby KoolfuZ on Wed May 23, 2007 7:33 am

yeti_c wrote:I'm not keen on the blinding white - perhaps a slightly more subtle tone?

The white is key! It has to look like a map you'd see in an airport or department store or mall, or in a leaflet, and I can't remember many that have had backgrounds other than white or black...

Actually, I could try matching the background of the site. That might work.

yeti_c wrote:Also I notice there are 2 Starbucks next to each other in the top left?

Yep. :)

yeti_c wrote:Have you tweaked the text - it looks easier to read now?! Or perhaps I was looking at the small version?

C.

I did, per your suggestion.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby yeti_c on Wed May 23, 2007 7:40 am

KoolfuZ wrote:Actually, I could try matching the background of the site. That might work.

Could we have a preview of both for people to choose? - I agree it does look very like an airport map thingy... but it does clash the eye... then again - so do those maps in airports!!

KoolfuZ wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Have you tweaked the text - it looks easier to read now?! Or perhaps I was looking at the small version?

C.

I did, per your suggestion.

Cool...

I wasn't sure - and was thinking that I imagined it... and perhaps it was late/early when I wrote the suggestion!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby KoolfuZ on Wed May 23, 2007 7:55 am

Here's one with the same gray as in the game pages.

(see below)

I dunno, I think I still prefer the white, but I guess I could do gray... I guess. :? Cheap Seattle hippies, printing everything on recycled paper...

Wicked, could you put up a poll on this? White/gray/other?
Last edited by KoolfuZ on Wed May 23, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby KoolfuZ on Wed May 23, 2007 7:57 am

Putting this on an odd numbered post so you get the embedded look.

Last edited by KoolfuZ on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby yeti_c on Wed May 23, 2007 10:37 am

It is much easier on the eye?

But less like an airport map...

Tricky!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wicked on Wed May 23, 2007 10:47 am

Poll added.

I like the idea of the A to D train. I think it's confusing b/c it looks like it goes through the parking area. Perhaps if you drew the connecting line beneath the parking area?

It would be nice to hear from others who understand more about playibility and bonuses.
Major wicked

Postby bonobo`s son on Wed May 23, 2007 12:28 pm

all coffe cafes are connectred with two areas?
ImageImage
Major bonobo`s son

Postby paranoid-android on Sun May 27, 2007 12:20 am

I think you should leave the background as white, it looks better as a whole.
Forever A Knight of Spamalot!
Forever with Honour!

Postby Xyl on Sun May 27, 2007 1:36 am

I don't really like the setup of the main terminal. It's impossible to defend, hard to attack out of, doesn't provide a shortcut to anywhere, and seperates the parking area from the rest of the map. The only real reasons I see to send armies in are to get to the two coffee stands or to the parking area. One way to fix it would be to make it more attractive somehow - a bonus for ticket counters? Or you could rearrange it to make it more attractive as a possible shortcut - say, merge delta/jetblue and alaska/united, and maybe add a "curbside check-in" area or something.
Major Xyl

Postby indie on Tue May 29, 2007 4:30 am

this is an amazing map and i can't wait for it to be playable.

and i agree that the white is a little hard on the eyes but i'd rather stick with the more realistic airport map aesthetic you've got going. my vote's white.
Private indie

Postby Sparqs on Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:05 am

I agree that this map looks great.

But, as someone noted above, the arrows for the A-D Transit are confusing. I thought they applied to the buses at first. Can they more closely match the other transit arrows, both in line thickness and yellow arrow heads? Perhaps a double-headed arrow if it is two-way.

Alternatively, maybe a smaller version of the light-grey transit tracks instead of arrows, running from A to D below the taxi area.

Minor nit: Unless you are going for the extra-bureaucratize look, I'd remove the parenthesis around "(You may not cross this barrier...)"
Sergeant Sparqs

Re: Sea-Tac Int'l [Un-Abandoned!]

Postby KoolfuZ on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:01 pm

It took a year and a half, but I finished the next draft.

If you are wondering what the poll is all about, here is the previous draft with a grey background:

Last edited by KoolfuZ on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Re: Sea-Tac Int'l Airport [Abondoned]

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:14 am

Welcome Back!

[Moved]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Sea-Tac Int'l Airport

Postby edbeard on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:39 am

oh I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have black text on a white background for the legend...

I'm kidding of course but that text right there is a little blurry looking. perhaps you should bold the text

you have 48 territories and a fairly sizeable bonus for holding coffee shops. thought about making 6 of them start neutral? making it only possible to get a +1 bonus max from them. 42 is a good starting number. better than 48 in that 4 player games will have each player with 12 territories meaning going first is a fairly large advantage. it wouldn't necessarily HAVE to be 6 starting neutral but something to think about.

bonuses generally seem ok except maaaybe the ones in the north. BC have 3 borders and 4 terr (unless you take one more terr and then it's 5 terr with 2 borders) which might be a good +2. perhaps this and the fact that central terminal is in the middle of everything makes the +4 for the central terminal (4 terr 3 border)

any reason you have more shops on the left side of the map? is this how it is in real life? I could understand having B and D with 2 and C and A with 1 but it seems a bit weird to have them all over there. if that's how it is in real life then nevermind

the big question is fitting army counts on the small version. It's a shame your circles will be covered up since they look quite nice.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby KoolfuZ on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm toying with the idea of making the ticket counters bombardiers to make them more useful, and to shrink the map a little. What do you think?

edbeard wrote:oh I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have black text on a white background for the legend...

I'm kidding of course but that text right there is a little blurry looking. perhaps you should bold the text

I bolded it, is it any easier to read? In any case, it's just flavor text.

edbeard wrote:you have 48 territories and a fairly sizeable bonus for holding coffee shops. thought about making 6 of them start neutral? making it only possible to get a +1 bonus max from them. 42 is a good starting number. better than 48 in that 4 player games will have each player with 12 territories meaning going first is a fairly large advantage. it wouldn't necessarily HAVE to be 6 starting neutral but something to think about.

Good point. If I keep the bombarding idea, maybe the bombard-ees can start neutral?

edbeard wrote:any reason you have more shops on the left side of the map? is this how it is in real life? I could understand having B and D with 2 and C and A with 1 but it seems a bit weird to have them all over there. if that's how it is in real life then nevermind

I went with what they have on the official website. There are a few I left out, but they are in the main and central terminals. It might have changed since the last update; I wasn't really paying attention last time I passed through there.

edbeard wrote:the big question is fitting army counts on the small version. It's a shame your circles will be covered up since they look quite nice.

I'm not loving the idea of making a small map, that's for sure.
Last edited by KoolfuZ on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby edbeard on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:25 pm

KoolfuZ wrote:I'm toying with the idea of making the ticket counters bombardiers to make them more useful, and to shrink the map a little. What do you think?

I don't know what you're talking about at all.
Lieutenant edbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box