Battle for the Spice Islands

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Battle for the Spice Islands

Postby vaughn03 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:11 pm

What do you think boss?

NEW CHANGES: Changes to Legend/Rules. Moved Fleets and Sea Passages to promote balanced play. Dropped one territory - Niew Brittian.

Changed the names of the Continents to Dutch? Maybe it just makes more confusing? Can go back or still open to suggestions.
Major vaughn03

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Seems better now. There's just this thing about those 'starting position' Fleets that leaves me uncomfortable:

some of them can assault ports while others don't right?

some 17th contemporary font suggestion, for tittle purposes:

http://www.dafont.com/washington-text.font

http://www.dafont.com/cardinal.font

http://www.1001fonts.com/menuetto-font.html

http://www.dafont.com/labrit.font
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Location: "Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Map Contribution (7) General Contribution (1)

Postby vaughn03 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Ah - true. It looks to me the only one that can't is DF3 - so I'll move SF1 farther up the coast of Sumatra and move DF3 and SP7 west and make a sea attack of DF3 to Batavia.

What else?

Thanks
Major vaughn03

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:31 pm

Yes DF3...

Still, I'd rather start on SF2 which gives access to 3 lesser ports, than start on PF3 (for instances) that gives access to just 1 (and shared with PF2) lesser port.

This might be an issue.....
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Location: "Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Map Contribution (7) General Contribution (1)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Agreed. I have better starting places on Napoleon Europe as well. But I still love the map. Do you have a suggestion? With all due respect.

Just saw your fonts - I'll look - thanks.
Major vaughn03

Postby iancanton on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:51 pm

vaughn03 wrote:Changed the names of the Continents to Dutch? Maybe it just makes more confusing? Can go back or still open to suggestions.

dutch directional names are no better than english ones, i'm afraid! i suggest more descriptive names such as asia, south sunda, north sunda and oceania.

try to avoid using the name of a whole island for a region that makes up only part of it. u have done this for sumatra (maybe palembang is appropriate - see the link below) and borneo.

http://melayuonline.com/eng/history/dig/389

the brown bonus ought to be reduced from +4 to avoid an easy place for someone to sit and stack, since there appears to be only one way in, via pot mosbi.

siam, not burma, ought to extend to both sides of the pensinsula and border malaka. not only is this historically more accurate, but also makes the bangkok army count a bit clearer.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:11 am

Once again, I'm sorry but I don't understand why it has to be so big.

The foundry used to have size rules so that maps would fit on one screen. Scrolling around really is a pain in the ass. There seems to be plenty of white space on the map, so I don't know why it couldn't have been compressed a bit to fit on one screen without any loss of legibility.

It just seems nowadays size exceptions are granted with no rhyme or reason.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 125
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby vaughn03 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 pm

It's too small for my screen - why don't they make the 'small' map and the 'large' map under the 'map size' button Big and Small instead of almost the same size?

Anyways - the size for this map was approved long ago. Thanks.

Ian - I agree with you and will revise accordingly.
Major vaughn03

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:57 am

I like it overall. The yellow troops are very hard to see in Zuidwest though, and the slate isn't ideal on the grey background either.
Captain iAmCaffeine

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6)
General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 am

I'll look at that - and hopefully get an edit in soon. Back in Indo but brought map and a fast computer.

Thank you.
Major vaughn03

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:46 am

If I were making this map I would surely get rid of those army circles on the land masses. I think they take away from the look of the map if you ask me. Otherwise looks like a nice map. Keep going!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:00 am

I can do that???
Major vaughn03

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 am

Sure you can as long as the numbers can be seen. Look at my Baltic States Map and see how I did it.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby vaughn03 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:16 am

Sounds good - I'll do it. I guess I just thought all along it had to have circles - I see on the Napoleon that I play all the time they're the colors just knocked back. I think there's something wrong with my brain, like old age maybe.

Thanks.
Major vaughn03

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:44 pm

This is such a pretty map, vaughn.
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

Previous

Return to Map Foundry